Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak

More than 50 kids in New York City have coronavirus inflammatory syndrome, mayor says

NBC News

New York City health officials are worried about a rising number of cases of a potentially fatal inflammatory syndrome that’s causing heart and kidney failure in children with Covid-19, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Tuesday.

“This was not something that the health-care community saw on their radar, and then in the last week or two, suddenly, we’re seeing something that’s very troubling,” de Blasio said at his daily press briefing.

There are 52 confirmed cases of pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome, and 10 cases pending. Of those cases, 25 children have tested positive for Covid-19 and 22 others had antibodies against the disease, suggesting they previously had the coronavirus and recovered. One child in the city has died from the disease, officials said.

Health officials are still struggling to understand how the virus impacts people of different ages. Scientists originally thought kids couldn’t become severely ill from the coronavirus, but they have recently identified a rare inflammatory syndrome similar to Kawasaki disease in children that have Covid-19 or the antibodies to the disease.

City officials said the symptoms in children differ from the most common coronavirus symptoms in adults, which include a sore throat, fever, dry cough and trouble breathing. They advised parents to immediately call their doctor if their child has a persistent fever, rash, abdominal pain and vomiting.

“Prolonged fever, a rash, having really red bright lips, swollen hands and feet, they could have abdominal pains, all of these symptoms, especially if they come together, are concerning indications that these children need to be evaluated for in-patient treatments,” Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot said.

Most of the kids who have developed the inflammatory syndrome are between 5 and 9 years old, she previously said.

“This is something where the quicker a parent reports, then the quicker a health-care professional can evaluate, the more chance of protecting the child and seeing them through this challenge safely,” de Blasio said.
    Kawasaki disease, a rare inflammatory syndrome in young children, causes high fever and swelling in blood vessels.

De Blasio said parents who don’t have access to a pediatrician can call the city’s 311 line and be connected to a medical professional to discuss their child’s health.

“Early detection, early action makes all the difference here,” he said.

New York state is investigating how Covid-19 impacts children after a 5-year-old boy in New York City died last week from coronavirus-related complications, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. He said there have been 73 cases in the state of children falling severely ill with similar symptoms.

“Caution to all people who again may have believed that their child couldn’t be affected by Covid,” Cuomo said at a press conference on Friday. “This information suggests we may want to revisit that quote-unquote fact, that assumption, and if you see any of the symptoms that are on the chart that your child is evidencing, caution should be taken.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/more...ayor-says.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Because of social distancing and the beaches being off limits the wildlife has moved in. A family of foxes has built a den under the boardwalk at Woodbine beach.

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Gov. Polis slapped with ACLU suit over COVID-19 in Colorado prisons

DENVER (KDVR) – The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado and a group of attorneys who represent medically vulnerable prison inmates filed a lawsuit against Gov. Jared Polis and the executive director of the state’s prison system, asking for some prisoners be released early to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

“We’re not saying, ‘open the doors, let everyone out.’ We’re saying, ‘figure out who is at risk. Figure out how to protect them, and figure out who can be safely released,'” said Anna Holland Edwards, one of attorneys named as cooperating counsel with the ACLU.

Holland Edwards called the COVID-19 situation in state prisons “terrifying,” especially at places like the Sterling Correctional Facility, where more than 560 people have been infected, according to the state health department’s outbreak report. At least two people have died.

“Several of our plaintiffs in this case live in Sterling, and they know that they are surrounded by infection,” said Holland Edwards. “They’re basically powerless to protect themselves. They have a cloth mask that they wash in the sink if they can buy the soap to do that, and otherwise, they’re just hoping that it doesn’t hit them and kill them….(they) are not supposed to serve a death sentence from an international pandemic.”

The lawsuit also calls for prison leaders to better identify and socially distance medically vulnerable inmates.

The governor said the state is doing everything in its power to prevent outbreaks in the prisons and to protect the prison staff. He brushed off the notion of releasing prisoners early because of the pandemic.

“The pandemic is no excuse to let criminals out, and I’m not aware of any basis to release offenders of the ACLU’s choosing as somehow an appropriate response to this crisis,” said Polis.

“The prison inmates are guards are wearing masks,” he said. “It’s also important for the residents of Colorado to know that of course, we will vigorously defend against any lawsuit that seeks to turn this pandemic into an effort to release dangerous criminals.”

Polis said he is proud of the state’s prison guards and the director of the prison system.

“They’ve really stepped up from the early days with masks and…isolation plans,” he said. Polis said inter-prison transfers have been limited from the very early days of the pandemic, and isolation protocols have been improved since the crisis started.

However, Anthony Hawkins, who said he was recently released from the Sterling Correctional Facility, said inmates are still nervous.

“Everybody is scared. We don’t know who got it. We hear somebody cough, and we are like, ‘Oh! Why are you coughing? Cover your mouth,’ you know? And it can really cause tension,” he said.

Hawkins said his best friend, Gary Winston, who suffers from COPD and asthma, is still serving the end of his sentence for drug possession. He said some inmates, like Winston, should be released early, especially if they are non-violent.

“A lot of the guys there are mentally and physically deteriorating because they can’t work out, and there’s no communication with their family.”

Annie Skinner, a spokesperson for the Colorado Department of Corrections, issued the following statement via email:

“While I cannot comment on specific ongoing litigation, I can advise that the Department of Corrections is taking the COVID-19 pandemic extremely seriously and has been diligently working throughout this pandemic to protect employees and inmates from this insidious virus, while also balancing public safety needs.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kdvr.co...o-prisons/amp/

Who would’ve thought that Jared Polis was tough on crime? I really wish he was like this with the death penalty there. Instead, he commuted the sentences of those inmates without even discussing it with the local prosecutors. At least he’s not advocating for Nathan Dunlap to get out. I really wish he was executed in 2013. He’s definitely the 90s version of The Parkland Shooter.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-29-2020 at 12:01 AM.

"We're not saying open the doors, let everyone out." The past few years of observations of criminal advocates determined that was a lie. Just look at the hybristophilic government in Washington and it's Supreme Court.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Editorial regarding my home state

Gov. Phil Murphy: Social distancing is required by law for thee, but not for me

Karl Marx wasn’t much of an economist. But his analysis of history was right on the money.

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce,” Marx famously said.

He got that right, especially as regards our governor.

When the coronavirus first hit back in March, Phil Murphy said the pandemic was so serious that all New Jerseyans would be required to comply with an order to stay at home. That order, which remains in effect, said residents shouldn’t go out “except to get essentials like food and medicine,” according to the governor’s Covid-19 website.

That website also advises us that “All residents and businesses should follow state and federal safeguarding guidelines,” that mandate “no mass gatherings.”

And the site connects to CDC recommendations that when going outdoors you wear a mask and “keep about 6 feet between yourself and others.” The site noted that a face cover “is not a substitute for social distancing.”

So who was that guy pictured on the front page of the Monday Star-Ledger marching shoulder-to-shoulder with a crowd of other people who were ignoring social distancing?

Why, it was the same guy who just extended his state of emergency into the summer.

The photo, which is from Murphy’s own website, shows the governor ignoring all his own rules as he marches behind a banner representing the “Hillside Strong March to End Racism, Police Brutality and Embrace Diversity” event.

That is a wonderful political position for a Democratic politician to take, especially one who’s striving to become a big force in the national party.

But the governor’s own website lists no exceptions for attending political protests.

This is the point at which Murphy’s handling of the pandemic has descended into farce. (The tragedy was experienced by the thousands of New Jerseyans who died because of the Murphy administration’s bungled handling of nursing homes.)

If even a wealthy politician finds it impossible to comply with the rules Murphy has put out, how can he expect the public to do so?

There’s one sign pushing these rules that I pass whenever I drive over to the Point Pleasant canal, a pleasant spot to walk the dog while watching the boats go by.

On the way there is a flashing display that reads, “When fishing and boating, observe social distancing.”

I’m sure the governor can afford a yacht big enough for the passengers and crew to stay 6 feet away from each other. But on the typical boat, the only way to get that far away from your fellow sailors is to jump overboard.

Such silliness abounds. Soon after that photo started getting passed around the internet on Sunday, I heard from several irate readers. They wanted to know why, if it’s safe for protesters to assemble cheek-by-jowl, school graduations cannot be held until July 6.

They also wanted to know what explains the absurd level of micromanagement put forward by Murphy’s recovery committee of handpicked political hacks.

Caps and gowns, for example, must be ordered online and delivered by mail to each graduate’s home. As for the caps, they cannot be thrown in the air at the end of the ceremony under Murphy’s law.

“We are so far above the level of micromanagement we need,” said the state senator who represents the district in which Murphy’s expansive estate is located.

“I think I counted 43 bullet points for graduation,” said Monmouth Republican Declan O’Scanlon. “When it comes to day-care center guidelines, it’s as if they’re saying they might as well not reopen.”

And as Murphy ignores his own rulings, his administration continues to crack down on merchants who are merely trying to make a living. Last week his website boasted of corralling the Morris County man who had the temerity to reopen his pool-supply store ahead of the June 15 date set by Murphy.

But if you need pool supplies, you just do what I did last weekend: Go to Home Depot.

“If you’re forced to buy at Home Depot, a local guy goes out of business,” said O’Scanlon. “I’ll bet 80 percent of pool supplies are sold in this period.”

Meanwhile many Shore merchants are missing out on the first two weekends in June, he said.

“People are ready for this to end, but there are 49 other states that are further ahead than we are,” O’Scanlon said. “All 49 other states have issued some sort of metrics for reopening. Not New Jersey. We got nothing. We get whatever the governor wants when he wakes up in the morning.”

If he wants to go marching to make a political point, that’s fine, said O’Scanlon. But “the hypocrisy’s just stunning,” he said.

It is indeed. If a picture is worth a thousand words, every one of those words will be about the fall of a politician who failed to realize the lessons of history apply to him.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/06/g...outputType=amp
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

In the eyes of these politicians and their NPC entourage, it's peaceful and commendable to pillage small businesses and shoot 77-year-olds in the head (David Dorn) but it's selfish, uneducated and damnable to actually demonstrate peacefully for one's job and livelihood.

FDA revokes authorization for hydroxychloroquine

By Jaimy Lee
    Market Watch

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said Monday that it has withdrawn the emergency use authorization (EUA) granted to hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine during the COVID-19 pandemic.

An EUA is not the same as a FDA approval but is a type of authorization that can be awarded during public health emergencies when there are no other available treatment options.

The federal agency had issued the EUA in March, allowing some patients with COVID-19 to be treated with the drugs when used from a federal stockpile.

Since then, however, the drugs have become increasingly politicized following promotion from Trump administration officials, including President Donald Trump himself, and have faced questions about their clinical usefulness and potential safety risks.

A number of clinical trials evaluating the drugs have failed, and the emerging scientific consensus has indicated that the drugs, which are approved to treat lupus, malaria, and rheumatoid arthritis, do not benefit patients with COVID-19 and may cause additional health risks.

The messaging around hydroxychloroquine has been further complicated by an inaccurate study that found the drugs harmed patients. That research was later retracted by The Lancet, a prestigious medical journal. The letter revoking the EUA is addressed to an official at the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fd...ine-2020-06-15

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

I went to get tested for the virus because my mother is showing the symptoms of it, but the health department wouldn’t do it because it was past 10:00 AM. So if I do have the virus, everyone around me will just have to get infected because my health department is nothing more than brain dead morons.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    A bit off topic, but i must say i like that SMG4 profile pic.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread Information