Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak

PM Johnson has been hospitalized with COVID-19. Dominic Rabb will take over temporarily as Deputy Prime Minister.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

This is what Pat Robertson said about coronavirus...oh boy

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Jesus, he's still alive?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Yep. 90 years old I think. Despite the fundamentalism I won't write him off as dumb. He graduated from Yale Law School and also holds a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Cook County, IL is 23% African American. 58% of Cook County COVID-19 deaths are African Americans.

City of Chicago is 29% African American. 70% of Chicago COVID-19 deaths are African Americans.

Hypertension, diabetes, and respiratory illnesses at issue in the shocking discrepancy.

https://wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/in-chicago-70-of-covid19-deaths-are-black/dd3f295f-445e-4e38-b37f-a1503782b507…
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

New Jersey now has 917 coronavirus deaths and 37,505 cases. Another 3K positive tests reported

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/new-jersey-now-has-917-coronavirus-deaths-and-37505-cases-another-3k-positive-tests-reported/ar-BB12ca0V

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Cook County, IL is 23% African American. 58% of Cook County COVID-19 deaths are African Americans.

City of Chicago is 29% African American. 70% of Chicago COVID-19 deaths are African Americans.

Hypertension, diabetes, and respiratory illnesses at issue in the shocking discrepancy.

https://wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/in-chicago-70-of-covid19-deaths-are-black/dd3f295f-445e-4e38-b37f-a1503782b507Â…
    There was also a likely "super-spreader" event in Idaho...a national convention of black ski clubs. I understand a club from New Orleans left right after Mardi Gras and spread it to other conventioneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yep. 90 years old I think. Despite the fundamentalism I won't write him off as dumb. He graduated from Yale Law School and also holds a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary.
    If he's right I have doomed the planet ten-thousand times over.

Pastor Spradlin (center) with his wife in New Orleans during Mardi Gras

Coronavirus: Pastor who decried 'hysteria' dies after attending Mardi Gras

By Aleem Maqbool
    BBC News, Washington

"Mardi Gras is like Times Square in New York during New Year's Eve. It's a sea of people just drinking and partying," she says. "He was loud and laughing and in his element."

Over recent years Pastor Spradlin had realised a dream of using the preaching he had honed in churches across three states and taking it to the streets through the medium he loved.

He had been playing instruments since the age of four and in 2016 was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame, but it was religion that he felt had saved him from alcoholism and drug addiction in his twenties.

Those dark years are why he now had a particular affinity for those who felt down and out, something he could relate to.

At Mardi Gras, the family band played in New Orleans' busy Jackson Square, unaware of the threat they faced.

"I don't even remember us talking about the virus," says Naomi Spradlin, 26. "With what's happened we keep looking back, and we didn't talk about it once."

They were not the only ones. Even though it had been more than a month since the first coronavirus case in the US, Mardi Gras went on as planned.

Officials in the city now blame government inaction for what appears to have been a large spike in cases that followed.

Pastor Spradlin was one of those who became ill, but tested negative for Covid-19. Even as he was sick, he posted on social media about "hysteria" surrounding the virus.

On the 13th of March Pastor Spradlin shared on Facebook a misleading post comparing swine flu and coronavirus deaths.

It suggested that Barack Obama and Donald Trump respectively had been treated very differently by the media and that it was a politically motivated ploy to harm President Trump.

Earlier the very same day, the president himself had insinuated something very similar at a news conference.

Pastor Spradlin's son, Landon Isaac, 32, told me that he and his father had talked and agreed about what they felt was an irrational frenzy and fear mongering about the virus, perhaps because it was an election year.

"I want to say outright though, dad didn't think it was a hoax, he knew it was a real virus," says Landon Isaac.

"But he did put up that post because he was frustrated that the media was propagating fear as the main mode of communication," he told me.

By mid-March though, Pastor Spradlin's health suddenly took a turn for the worse. He and his wife decided to make the long drive back from New Orleans to their home in Virginia.

"I spoke to him five minutes before he collapsed in North Carolina," says Landon Isaac.

"I could tell his breathing was getting bad. And I just said that you've got to get home. But he didn't make it."

Pastor Spradlin was taken to hospital in North Carolina where they discovered he had developed pneumonia in both lungs and he now also tested positive for the coronavirus.

After eight days in intensive care, Pastor Spradlin died.

"It's a lot like Dad was our support column and somebody kicked out that support column. It feels like the roof is falling down on all of our heads right now," says Landon Isaac.

For days, he and his four siblings had to communicate with their mother through the glass door of her home. The funeral that has just taken place happened the day after Jean Spradlin's quarantine finally ended.

"We just never thought our father would pass away because of this. But he wasn't the type of person to just live in fear and let it rob him of the joy of the life that he had," says Jesse Spradlin.

She does think that mixed signals and, as she sees it, an inability to trust the media contributed to confusion about the virus.

"I was frustrated with the way that the media was very agenda driven - and it's on both sides. I feel like the coronavirus issue turned into something that was 'party against party' instead of one nation under God," she says.

Jesse said that the longstanding polarisation of the American media made it hard to know what to believe and what is political hype.

The TV coverage of the crisis and the president's handling of it is starkly different depending on the stance of the network.

And it is striking how Americans appear to view the pandemic differently depending on their politics; polls show Republicans are more inclined to think there has been an over-reaction to the coronavirus; Democrats, that it is not being taken seriously enough.

Jesse feels that the magnitude of the crisis, one that took the life of her father, means that needs to change.

"There's still so much on the news that is agenda driven, even though people are passing away," she says.

"This is affecting our country, and unless we start acting like one nation we are not truly going to find a solution. But for that to happen, a certain amount of humility is needed."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52157824

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    UK PM Boris Johnson has been moved to an intensive care unit.

I just read that he's more than likely going on a ventilator. Ironic what he said on March 3.

“I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you will be pleased to know. And I continue to shake hands,” says Boris Johnson.

A lot of conservatives are really not taking this seriously.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information