Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: John David Battaglia - Texas Execution - February 1, 2018

Senior Member Member nmiller855's Avatar
    There surely is a special place in hell for someone that kills their own children.

Yes he shot and killed his 6 and 9 year old daughters, they didn't even reach high school!

Junior Member Stranger
    There's a murderer in Canada who did that and got even acquitted, finally there was a new trial and he got charged and convicted of second degree murder life prison with possibility of parole after like 15 years or something, and he asked the supreme court to get another trial and claim the second wasn't fair.

These nasty people should just accept their damm punishment. Not too damm hard ffs -_-

Nookie that Canadian was named Dr. Guy Turcotte. The crown appealed the decision that found him not criminally responsible and he was retried and found guilty. He has to serve 17 yrs. before he can apply for parole.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...le-eligibility
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

It looks like his lawyers are playing the memory loss card here.

Does John Battaglia Remember He Murdered His Children?

Texas will wrap up a busy month at the death chamber on Wednesday, March 30, when the state executes 60-year-old John Battaglia for the May 2, 2001, murder of his two daughters, 9-year-old Faith and 6-year-old Liberty.

The details of the two girls' deaths are particularly disturbing. According to Battaglia's failed 2010 appeal to the U.S. District Court, the murders occurred the day Battaglia learned he had a warrant out for his arrest for violating probation, which he was serving after being convicted of assaulting his ex-wife Mary Jean Pearle in 1999 (Battaglia had agreed not to stalk, threaten, or harass Pearle or their two daughters, and Pearle had filed a complaint on April 17 reporting that Battaglia had left an abusive message on her phone). Battaglia picked up Faith and Liberty for a pre-arranged visit that afternoon and took them back to his downtown Dallas loft. Pearle went to a friend's house. When she arrived, she was told the girls wanted to speak with her. She called Battaglia's apartment and he put Faith on the phone. Faith asked, "Mommy, why do you want Daddy to go to jail?" Then Pearle heard Faith say, "No, Daddy, please don't do it." Pearle heard gunshots, then Battaglia screamed "Merry fucking Christmas," and there were more gunshots – seven in total. Battaglia was arrested outside of a nearby tattoo parlor, where he had gone to get two roses representing his slain daughters tattooed on his arm.

At trial, the state traced a pattern of violence, using testimony from Battaglia's first wife Michelle Ghetti, who told of the two years of physical abuse and harassment she endured while married to Battaglia. The defense offered testimony concerning Battaglia's mental instability, and tried to argue that he would not pose a future threat to society if his life were spared. On appeal, Battaglia has continued to pursue – unsuccessfully – those two lines of argument. During a 2014 video interview with The Dallas Morning News, Battaglia said he remains "a little in the blank" about what happened to his daughters, and contended: "I don't believe I really killed them."

A last-minute motion to appoint D.C. attorney Gregory W. Gardner as Battaglia's counsel in an effort to file a final claim that Battaglia is too incompetent to be executed – because he neither understands that he murdered his daughters nor that he will soon die for that – was denied by U.S. District Judge Jane Boyle on March 18. Battaglia will be the sixth Texan executed this year, and the 537th since the state reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/...-his-children/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Oh he does remember murdering his daughters those tattoos should remind him everyday. This is not a man but a coward and bully. It makes me sick that his lawyers are working hard to spare him the very life he denied his two daughters.

Mike's post jarred my memory. I remember this one, absolutely incomprehensible.
    "It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them".--Alfred Adler

His memory loss appeal doesn't seem to have any merit. I don't think he's going to get a stay.

Texas Parole Board: No Reprieve for Dallas Man Set to Die

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has turned down a clemency petition from a Dallas man set to die this week for fatally shooting his two young daughters nearly 15 years ago.

Board spokesman Raymond Estrada says the board voted 7-0 Monday, refusing to recommend 60-year-old John David Battaglia's death sentence be commuted to life in prison and denying his request for a reprieve from his scheduled Wednesday evening execution in Huntsville.

Battaglia was convicted and condemned for the May 2001 slayings of his daughters, 9-year-old Faith and 6-year-old Liberty, at his Dallas apartment The girls' mother, Battaglia's ex-wife, was on the phone with him and heard the gunshots and cry of the older daughter.

Battaglia still has appeals in the federal courts seeking to block his punishment.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tex...373766341.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Dallas accountant who murdered his ‘little babies’ to be executed Wednesday

A Dallas accountant who murdered his two young daughters while their mother listened on the phone is scheduled for execution Wednesday.

After 14 years on death row, John Battaglia, 60, is to die by lethal injection shortly after 6 p.m. in the nation’s busiest death chamber.

Battaglia’s crime horrified people in Dallas and beyond, attracting news coverage — much of it lurid — from around the world.

On the evening of May 2, 2001, the square-jawed former Marine repeatedly shot his daughters, 9-year-old Faith and 6-year-old Liberty, inside his Deep Ellum loft. He had arranged a call with his ex-wife, who listened on the phone as the older girl begged for mercy.

“No, Daddy! Don’t do it!” Faith pleaded, seconds before the phone line crackled with staccato gunfire.

A prosecutor later told jurors that it appeared the younger girl had been running for the door when she was felled.

After shooting his daughters, Battaglia headed to a nearby tattoo parlor to have two red roses etched into his arm — in memory, he said, of his little girls.

He left a message on his daughters’ answering machine that night. “Good night, my little babies,” he said. “I hope you are resting in a different place. I love you.”

In a prison interview with The Dallas Morning News in 2014, Battaglia appeared remorseless.

He said he was “a little bit in the blank” about what happened to Faith and Liberty: “I don’t feel like I killed them.”

He also said he didn’t worry about being put to death because “this isn’t a permanent place.”

The murders bewildered many who knew Battaglia. Friends described the onetime Highland Park resident as a witty dinner guest, a trustworthy accountant, a devoted dad who decorated his Uptown office with his daughters’ crayon drawings.

But he also owned a small arsenal of guns, some illegally. Twice divorced, court records revealed a history of brutish violence against women. He beat his second wife one Christmas Day. He knocked his first one out with his fists, breaking her nose and jaw.

At his capital murder trial, defense psychiatrists testified that Battaglia suffered from bipolar disorder. An adult daughter from his first marriage later said he was also diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder, characterized by manipulative behavior, a hyperinflated sense of self-importance and a lack of empathy.

A Dallas County jury took 19 minutes to convict him.

Killing Faith and Liberty was an act of vengeance against his second wife, Mary Jean Pearle, who sought to have him locked up.

Battaglia had been placed on two years’ probation after he was convicted of hitting Pearle. After their divorce, she said, he harassed and intimidated her, skipped mandatory anger-management classes, and otherwise violated his probation.

Battaglia knew he could face prison time on the night that he picked up Faith and Liberty from Highland Park Village, where he and Pearle normally exchanged custody for his regular Wednesday night visits. He drove them to his loft, put Faith on the phone with her mom and had the child ask, “Why are you trying to put Daddy in jail?”

The next sounds Pearle heard were screams and shots.

The message he left that night on the girls’ answering machine also included this lament: “I wish you had nothing to do with your mother. She was evil and vicious and stupid.”

After her ex-husband’s sentencing in 2002, Pearle told him to “burn in hell forever.”

“You are one of the most heinous murderers of modern times,” she said.

She added: “I would like to say the next time you see me is when they put the needle in your arm … But I’m not going to waste the time to be there.”

Battaglia’s daughter from his first marriage said in 2014 that she was struggling to accept her father’s death sentence, even as she mourned the loss of her half-sisters

“I’m sad about it. I’m mad at him. But at the same time, he’s my dad,” said Christie Battaglia, who’s done volunteer work with domestic violence victims.

She had no desire to witness the execution. “I can go watch somebody put a needle in his arm, but I can’t go give him a hug before that happens,” she said.

After the murder of the girls, The Family Place, a nonprofit that assists victims of domestic violence, established the Faith and Liberty’s Place Family Center in their memory. The center provides a safe environment for supervised child visitations by non-custodial parents with a history of abusive behaviors.

Battaglia’s appellate lawyers have argued — so far, to no avail — that he shouldn’t be put to death because of his impaired mental state. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles this week denied his request for a reprieve from his scheduled execution.

This newspaper’s 2014 interview with Battaglia came as part of a year-long examination of domestic violence homicides in North Texas.

Battaglia spoke from death row in what looked like a high-security phone booth. A steel door trapped him on one side, while a thick sheet of glass separated him from a reporter and photographer.

He cursed and tapped aggressively on the glass as he emphasized everyone he blamed for his conviction — his ex-wife, the district attorney, the trial judge, The News.

He insisted that Faith, who played soccer and violin, and Liberty, a budding ballerina, were his “best little friends,” just the “nicest little kids” imaginable. He added that he keeps photos of both girls inside his prison cell.

Battaglia said he doesn’t grieve for his daughters, because they remain with him.

“Why would I worry about where they are now?” he said.

“We’re all here, we’re all gone at the same time. I’m not worried about it.”

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016...ednesday.html/

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information