Thread: Davonte Barnes Sentenced to Life in 2021 FL Murders of Desmond Owens, Clayton Dillard III & Shaniqua Peterson

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Davonte Barnes Sentenced to Life in 2021 FL Murders of Desmond Owens, Clayton Dillard III & Shaniqua Peterson

September 24, 2021

Davonte Barnes Charged In Mass Shooting Outside NW Miami-Dade Banquet Hall

CBSMiami

MIAMI (CBSMiami) - Miami-Dade police have made their first arrest in the mass shooting outside a northwest Miami-Dade banquet hall over the Memorial Day weekend.

Davonte Barnes, 22, faces three counts of first-degree murder and 20 counts of attempted murder. If convicted, he faces the death penalty.

Barnes was arrested Thursday night. Miami-Dade police said he confessed to meeting with the suspects before the shooting and being a look out while it took place outside the El Mula Banquet Hall at 7630 Northwest 186th Street.

In court on Fridday, Barnes told a Judge. "I need to get a lawyer. I have not worked in 2 or 3 months."

He will face an arraignment within in 21 days. He was given an Assistant Public Defender and denied bond.

Rodney Thomas, the father of Ka'Dedra Thomas, whose 26-year-old daughter was shot three times and who has still not beeen able to regain the use of her arms after a bullet struck her shoulder blade said he's grateful that the first arrest has been made.

He told CBS4's Peter D'Oench, "I am happy and I am grateful to the police department and the detectives who have personally put in the work and caught this guy. They will catch the rest of them. I would like for a conviction. I would like for justice for my daughter and for everyone who is not loved."

"Three counts of first-degree murder and 20 counts for attempted first-degree murder," he said about the charges against Barnes. "I think it is right whether you pulled the trigger or not. You were involved in it and there have to be consequences."

"I would like a conviction, I want justice for my daughter and everyone that was involved," he added.

Desmond Owens, 26, Clayton Dillard III, 26, and Shaniqua Peterson, 32, were killed and nearly two dozen others were hurt in the May 30th mass shooting, which happened outside the hall where a crowd had gathered for a rap show.

CBS4 also heard from the devastated father of Clayton Dillard III. he had this to say about the latest arrest and he expressed his anger towards the gunmen, "You killed my son. You took away my heart. Imagine if this happened or you all."

"My son was there. He was the best son in my life."

Clayton Dillard has been outspoken ever since the shooting happened nearly 4 months ago.

Miami-Dade said the shooting was a coordinated attack that involved two vehicles and at least five gunmen.

Surveillance video of a white SUV shows three masked gunmen getting out of the vehicle before opening fire on the crowd gathered outside. They are then seen running back to the SUV and speeding away. The stolen SUV was found later in a canal.

Police don't have as much information about the second vehicle, described as a black car with at least two people inside.

"This is a despicable act of gun violence. A cowardly act," said Miami-Dade Police Director Freddy Ramirez said at the time.

Police said they believed the mass shooting was targeted and likely connected to an ongoing rivalry between two groups.

A reward of up to $30,000 is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those involved.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/d...-banquet-hall/
    Last edited by Steven; 10-24-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Trial begins for man charged in 2021 El Mula banquet hall mass shooting

Davonte Barnes, 24, is facing three counts of first-degree murder and 21 counts of attempted murder in the May 30, 2021 shooting outside the El Mula banquet hall

By Amanda Plasencia
    NBC Miami

More than two years after a mass shooting outside a Miami-Dade banquet hall left three people dead and 21 wounded, the trial for the man charged in connection with the shooting has begun.

Davonte Barnes, 24, is facing three counts of first-degree murder and 21 counts of attempted murder in the May 30, 2021 shooting outside the El Mula banquet hall.

Barnes was in a Miami-Dade courtroom Thursday as opening statements got underway.

Video was also shown in court that depicted the chaos as people ran for cover during the gunfire. One of the victims who was shot three times but survived also gave emotional testimony.

“It was chaos. People scrambling. People on the floor and people yelling out peoples' names," Ka'dedra Thomas said.

Barnes isn't accused of firing any of the gunshots but police say he cased the crowd and alerted the three shooters when some of their targets – including a local rap artist - were among those outside the club, which was hosting a premiere party for another rap artist’s new album.

Video shows a stolen Nissan Pathfinder pull up around the corner from the club, and three gunmen emerge, spraying the sidewalk with gunfire. A total of 99 shell casings fired from nine different firearms – including those of potential victims returning fire – were recovered from the scene.

Barnes was arrested first, in September 2021, followed two weeks later by Anthony Warneric Buckner, who police say confessed to being one of the gunmen and named the others involved.

But prosecutors found Buckner’s confession came after he repeatedly asked for a lawyer, and therefore would not have been allowed in court, so his charges were dismissed.

Although the charges were dropped against him, detectives used evidence from the El Mula shooting to charge Buckner in the Jan. 16, 2021 killing of 6-year-old Chassidy Saunders.

During opening statements, Barnes' defense attornet argued that the police methods to interrogate his client were also not done correctly.

“The evidence will show that the first over two hours of that statement for one reason or another, there’s no record of it," attorney Robert Barrar said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...17293/%3famp=1

Interrogation tapes played during trial for man accused of involvement in 2021 banquet hall mass shooting in NW Miami-Dade

MIAMI (WSVN) - As the trial for a man accused of being a lookout outside a South Florida banquet hall during a shooting continued, there were tense moments in the courtroom when interrogation tapes were played.

The murder trial for Davonte Barnes entered it’s fourth day, Wednesday.

He is being charged with three counts of first-degree murder and 20 counts of attempted murder.

“I wasn’t shooting, I don’t know who was,” Barnes said in the tapes.

According to police, Barnes confessed to being a lookout during a mass shooting that took place at the El Mula Banquet Hall on May 30, 2021.

From the interrogation tapes, Miami-Dade homicide detectives were seen pressing Barnes on what he knew from the deadly night, including who
    he was on the phone with while driving to the banquet hall and who was behind the wheel of a white Nissan when at least three shooters get out of the SUV.

“I don’t know who was driving,” Barnes said.

During his interrogation, Barnes was going back and forth with detectives. Detectives were also seen pushing back at Barnes, often raising their voices at times.

“I don’t want your opinion, I want the truth!” a detective said.

Jurors will continue to view those videos as the trial continues.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-da...iami-dade/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Davonte Barnes found guilty of 2nd-degree murder, attempted murder in NW Miami-Dade banquet hall shooting

By 7News Miami

MIAMI (WSVN) - A man on trial for the mass shooting at a banquet hall in Northwest Miami-Dade that made national headlines has been found guilty.

Twenty-four-year-old Davonte Barnes was convicted Friday night on three counts of second-degree murder and 20 counts of attempted second-degree murder.

He was found not guilty of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder with a deadly weapon.

The judy’s verdict came hours after defense attorneys and prosecutors delivered their closing statements.

Jurors determined Barnes acted as a lookout for gang members who opened fire outside the El Mula Banquet Hall in May of 2021.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-da...hall-shooting/

Lookout in 2021 mass shooting at El Mula banquet hall sentenced to life in prison

Davonte Barnes was given the life sentence during a hearing Friday

By Christian Colón and Brian Hamacher
    NBC Miami

A man who acted as a lookout for the gunmen during a 2021 mass shooting outside a Miami-Dade banquet hall that left three people dead and 21 wounded has been sentenced to life in prison.

Davonte Barnes, 24, was given the life sentence during a hearing Friday.

"It’s a miracle that more did not lose their life in this sensless shooting and tragedy," Miami-Dade Judge Marisa Tinkler Mendez said. "Your sentence is life concurrent to all counts."

Prosecutor Christopher Flanagan said the punishment was fitting.

"This is the largest mass shooting in Miami-Dade County’s history," Flanagan said. "Do I recognize that this defendant might have had a lesser degree of participation? Sure, we waived the death penalty for him. We likely won't do that for the shooters."

Barnes was convicted in September on three counts of second-degree murder and 20 counts of second-degree attempted murder in the May 30, 2021 shooting outside the El Mula banquet hall.

The shooting claimed the lives of Shaniqua Peterson, Desmond Owens and Clayton Dillard.

"Though this is a step in obtaining justice for the families of Shaniqua Peterson, Desmond Owens, and Clayton Dillard III, and of the injured, nothing can erase the loss and pain of that night’s events," Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said in a statement. "We hope this result will be the beginning of healing for them and the community."

At Friday's hearing, family members were allowed to give statements and address Barnes.

"Every day I look in the mirror I see her because I see me. And I look so much like her, to where her son breaks down when he looks at me," Peterson's mother said.

"What is wrong with you man? You're going to pay for this. You must burn," said Dillard's father, Clayton Dillard Sr.

Barnes was also allowed to give a statement.

"My apologies to the family, mothers and fathers. I'm truly sorry for what happened to your kids," he said.

Barnes wasn't accused of firing any of the gunshots but police said he cased the crowd and alerted the three shooters when some of their targets – including a local rap artist - were among those outside the club, which was hosting a premiere party for another rap artist’s new album.

Video showed a stolen Nissan Pathfinder pull up around the corner from the club, and three gunmen emerge, spraying the sidewalk with gunfire. A total of 99 shell casings fired from nine different firearms – including those of potential victims returning fire – were recovered from the scene.

Barnes was arrested first, in September 2021, followed two weeks later by Anthony Warneric Buckner, who police say confessed to being one of the gunmen and named the others involved.

But prosecutors found Buckner’s confession came after he repeatedly asked for a lawyer, and therefore would not have been allowed in court, so his charges were dismissed.

Although the charges were dropped against him, detectives used evidence from the El Mula shooting to charge Buckner in the Jan. 16, 2021 killing of 6-year-old Chassidy Saunders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...50534/%3famp=1

Thread Information