Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Eugene Bigby - Texas Execution - March 14, 2017

James Eugene Bigby - Texas Execution - March 14, 2017

James Eugene Bigby

Facts of the Crime:

Bigby was convicted of the December 24, 1987 deaths of 26-year-old Michael Trekell and 17-week-old infant Jayson Kehler. The victims were two of four people killed during a seven-hour murder spree by Bigby in Fort Worth and Arlington. Bigby suffocated the infant with a piece of cellophane and then placed the child face down in a sink full of water. Trekell was shot in the head.

Bigby was re-sentenced to death in Tarrant County in 2006.

On December 31, 2008, Bigby filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...v00765/182909/

On April 5, 2013, Bigby's habeas petition was DENIED.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...765/182909/17/

On June 11, 2013, Bigby filed an appeal in the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir.../ca5/13-70020/

This case among others leaves me wordless. I am trying to figure out what such killers, who committed such unbelievable crimes (it's very hard to believe certain events can actually happen - some of those guys must have a lot of fantasie - and forgive my sarcasm)... I mean...do they ever plead guilty? Do they try to convince the jury they are innocent? Should they not... how could they defend themselves from a capital punishment? Would they plead a mental retard or mental illness? I do not see any way to forgive or justify their actions... How can an attorney work to save their lives after such atrocious crimes? Help me to understand this please.

JAMES EUGENE BIGBY v William Stephens

In today's Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals opinions, the court DENIED Bigby's requests for a certificate of appealability.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

This case among others leaves me wordless. I am trying to figure out what such killers, who committed such unbelievable crimes (it's very hard to believe certain events can actually happen - some of those guys must have a lot of fantasie - and forgive my sarcasm)... I mean...do they ever plead guilty? Do they try to convince the jury they are innocent? Should they not... how could they defend themselves from a capital punishment? Would they plead a mental retard or mental illness? I do not see any way to forgive or justify their actions... How can an attorney work to save their lives after such atrocious crimes? Help me to understand this please.
    alexisidem, maybe I can help answer your questions.

do they ever plead guilty?
    A fair number of murderers will plead guilty, especially if the district attorney points out the rock-solid case against and offers a sweet deal, such as life in prison without parole in exchange for the guilty plea. Such pleas save the county and/or state the expense of a capital trial and the endless appeals. These cases, especially if the plea is accepted early in the process, we don't find out about here on cncpunishment.com.

Should they not... how could they defend themselves from a capital punishment?
    If they're not offered a lesser penalty than death, then they have nothing to lose by trying to hornswoggle a jury into finding them not guilty or guilty of a lesser charge. And capital cases are tried in two phases: guilt and then penalty. They may realize they'll be found guilty, but then they hope that they're given something less than death in the penalty phase.

Would they plead a mental retard or mental illness?
    In some cases, either during the guilt or penalty phases of the trial or during the appeals process, a capital defendant can successfully mount a defense on either or both of these grounds.

How can an attorney work to save their lives after such atrocious crimes?
    Attorneys are hired guns: they're not judge or jury. Their job is to do their best for their clients. In quite a few cases, the defense attorneys are hired by or employed by the county/state, as required by law. A fair number of attorneys are opposed to the imposition of the death penalty, and especially they could care less if their client is guilty. Their main goal is to endlessly argue for a lesser sentence or, failing that, delay the execution as long as possible.

Hope all this helps!
    Last edited by mostlyclassics; 12-18-2014 at 05:18 PM.

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Bigby's petition for certiorari.

Docketed: March 24, 2015
    Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (13-70020)
    Decision Date: December 18, 2014

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/14-9006.htm

I assume this animal is now warrant ripe?

You betchya, Lord Bam.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyclassics View Post
    alexisidem, maybe I can help answer your questions.

A fair number of murderers will plead guilty, especially if the district attorney points out the rock-solid case against and offers a sweet deal, such as life in prison without parole in exchange for the guilty plea. Such pleas save the county and/or state the expense of a capital trial and the endless appeals. These cases, especially if the plea is accepted early in the process, we don't find out about here on cncpunishment.com.

If they're not offered a lesser penalty than death, then they have nothing to lose by trying to hornswoggle a jury into finding them not guilty or guilty of a lesser charge. And capital cases are tried in two phases: guilt and then penalty. They may realize they'll be found guilty, but then they hope that they're given something less than death in the penalty phase.

In some cases, either during the guilt or penalty phases of the trial or during the appeals process, a capital defendant can successfully mount a defense on either or both of these grounds.

Attorneys are hired guns: they're not judge or jury. Their job is to do their best for their clients. In quite a few cases, the defense attorneys are hired by or employed by the county/state, as required by law. A fair number of attorneys are opposed to the imposition of the death penalty, and especially they could care less if their client is guilty. Their main goal is to endlessly argue for a lesser sentence or, failing that, delay the execution as long as possible.

Hope all this helps!
    Thank you dearest mostlyclassics for your nice replay...and sorry about reading it sooo late! I must haven't noticed the green arrow beside the inmate's thread.... I suspected things could go the way you described... anyway it is difficult to me to understand such procedures in such horrible cases.... Of course any murder is horrible but there are some really hinous and unacceptable among others like this one. Thank you again for your help and sorry once more for my late

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information