Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think a Hillary Clinton President would’ve been better for the Death Penalty?

Newsom dismantling California’s death row is trolling and somehow you think it’s a victory? Virginia abolishing it is a victory? Nevada abolishing it a victory? Dewine being the next George Ryan is a victory? To go back to the supermajority thing what I meant by that was that in that scenario they would’ve had a supermajority given that they would’ve been in a much stronger position to put more moderate judges then someone like Breyer or Reinhardt
    Last edited by Neil; 05-27-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Since you are merely repeating what you said previously, I can only invite you to read my previous reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil123 View Post
    To go back to the supermajority thing what I meant by that was that in that scenario they would’ve had a supermajority given that they would’ve been in a much stronger position to put more moderate judges then someone like Breyer or Reinhardt
    No you said that this supermajority was required for appointments and that with it they could have appointed "all kinds of conservative judges", while it is a consensual and widespread information that judicial nominations are already among Republicans' best achievements during this presidential term.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post127187
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-27-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Virginia has sentenced to death 8 people in the past 15 years. It died there long before Obama even had his first term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven AB View Post
    Since you are merely repeating what you said previously, I can only invite you to read my previous reply.
    Your not answering why it’s a victory because Newsom who’s a very liberal politician. Dismantled California’s death row and ordered all the equipment out of the chamber as well as hinted he will in the future completely destroy their death penalty law. That ballot drive you cherish would be a defeat. Yes Steven I know Mike said that so your in agreement it’s dead there good very good. Here you were cherishing a ballot drive for Colorado. Which executed one person and commuted everyone else. While Virginia sentenced 149 to death I believe and executed 113 and executed around 4 of the 8 people they sentenced to death in the past 15 years.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-27-2020 at 08:10 AM.

If you can't find the answer in the previous post:

You could have said the same sort of things in 1970.
    Indeed you could even have said worse things at this time.

I wrote enough about that in other threads, and contrary to you I avoid repeating myself. I didn't write on this thread to talk again about that. (For those interested: I did it especially in the Ohio and Colorado threads)
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-27-2020 at 08:26 AM.

How’s it a victory though you honestly think that mass commuting is a victory even after people just voted to keep it and expedite their executions. That goes against your ballot drives you cherish so much. It’s one thing for people to support the death penalty but they must elect people to put the practice into place. Again death penalty proponents won in California. They elected Newsom 2 years later and he halted it there as well as said
    he death penalty has no place in today’s society and while his judges will toss out every death sentence ever put into place and Newsom said he will do order a mass commutation in the future. That was a big defeat for death penalty proponents and California has a huge chunk of death row.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-27-2020 at 08:31 AM.

As a mere remind:

I wrote enough about that in other threads, and contrary to you I avoid repeating myself. I didn't write on this thread to talk again about that. (For those interested: I did it especially in the Ohio and Colorado threads)
    What is typical from leftist trolling is the suggestion that the left victory is inevitable and nothing can be done against it (this is the first time you add in bad faith that this is a mere "scenario", and your "scenarios" are almost always pro-liberal), as when you claimed that Barton’s execution will be stayed and he was put to death, that a supermajority is required in the U.S. Senate for appointments while there is none, etc.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-27-2020 at 01:53 PM.

As a mere remind:
    Wow I point out Newsom will literally dismantle California’s death penalty even after people didn’t vote for any of that but he’s still saying I’m pro liberal. Get a load of this guy. Hey Steven once Newsom reduces California’s death row population to zero your cherished ballot drive will be worthless. You know where you can talk about pro death penalty ballot drives succeeding. Oklahoma and Nebraska. They have politicians there that are in favor of the death penalty and even they are facing uphill battles in executing still. As a reminder too they took place in staunch conservative states not George Soros states like California.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-27-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil123 View Post
    Wow I point out Newsom will literally dismantle California’s death penalty even after people didn’t vote for any of that but he’s still saying I’m pro liberal.
    Yes, liberals love talking about voters being overturned by the elites. They love talking about most of your predictions.

I add these links not for Neil123 but those who might not have read them previously:

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post125610

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post125658

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post126524

Neil123 is as categorical about Newsom as he was about Walter Barton’s stay of execution by the Missouri state supreme court for the same reason (liberal victory he suggests is unavoidable):

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post127008

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post127071

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post127380
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-27-2020 at 09:06 AM.

How do you not see that California’s death penalty is in serious trouble. Once justice Ming retires in August he’ll appoint extreme liberal justices. He’s even hinted he’ll order blanket commutations. How was it a victory with California’s death penalty which is on life support How do you not see that?

I never said that I found the current situation of the U.S. death penalty as satisfactory. But:

What is typical from leftist trolling is the suggestion that the left victory is inevitable and nothing can be done against it (this is the first time you add in bad faith that this is a mere "scenario", and your "scenarios" are almost always pro-liberal), as when you claimed that Barton’s execution will be stayed and he was put to death, that a supermajority is required in the U.S. Senate for appointments while there is none, etc.
    Newsom ordering a blanket commutation is not at all a sure outcome, but even if it happened that could be a Pyrrhic victory for abolitionists because contrary to Illinois, they can’t abolish the death penalty statute without a popular vote. The result could be a death row with so few inmates that the appeal process would be less lengthy, and the false argument that the death penalty is costly no longer believable. They already had a blanket commutation by the state supreme court in 1972. Maybe you know what happened thereafter.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-30-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information