Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think a Hillary Clinton President would’ve been better for the Death Penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven AB View Post
    I was talking about priorities, which in my view are about the future. Especially to reinstate the death penalty for future cases in states that have initiatives and referenda and/or a Republican legislature.
    That makes no sense they still could’ve have been executed and by chance if a Republican controlled legislature got in they would’ve been more then happy to reinstate for future cases they would’ve executed the ones that were there during the repeal era. Like what Ricketts did with his ballot drive.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    The previous comment merely confirms that reinstating the death penalty for future cases is more important.

Your missing what I’m saying how is it that the state Supreme Court saying you must commute them is any good when the legislature said it wasn’t retroactive. Just so it can be reinstated for future cases? My point is activists on the courts tossed them out and it burns me alive to see the how that must make the families feel even after what the legislature said. Also, Ricketts vetoed the repeal attempt. He put a ballot drive to reinstate the death penalty. He kept Nebraska’s death row population intact.

Well you should not also regard my comment as claiming that keeping these death sentences would not be fair or important. But politics is the art of the possible, and between the important and the more important we must choose on what to focalise. These previous death sentences were maybe 2% of the U.S. death row population, not to mention all the future crimes where the death penalty will be the only fair sentence (and deterrence of course works only for the future). That's a priority for me: have the death penalty reinstated in statutes, especially by popular vote.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-10-2020 at 10:32 PM.

I mentioned a scenario on here that there should be cert for judges and governors just tossing death sentences after there was no retroactivity. Which is why New Hampshire is the last hope in that retrospect. I hope it’s reinstated there one day but as Schmutz once said he doesn’t see it as a possibility. I say that because one day it may not be 2 percent of the death row population it could be significantly larger like what Nevada or Ohio have brewing now.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-10-2020 at 10:51 PM.

The previous comment merely confirms that keeping and reinstating the death penalty for future cases is more important and more realistic.

For both Ohio and Nevada the best chance is ballot measures, not state supreme courts ruling that a repeal is not retroactive.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-10-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Nevada is worse actually they want to say it is retroactive. I want Sununu if he ever got the legislature back to push for reinstatement of the death penalty. I want him to preside over the execution of that one person on death row. If he got it back he should do like what California did and enshrine it to the constitution because if a democratic takeover happens there again they’ll repeal it yet again.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-10-2020 at 11:01 PM.

You are confusing Nevada with New Hampshire.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 05-10-2020 at 11:08 PM.

No what I’m saying is that Nevada’s repeal attempt which failed was a bill for retroactivity. I want Sununu to able to execute that death row inmate in New Hampshire. That’s a state where democrats take over the legislature very often and if he ever reinstated it should be enshrined because they don’t have ballot drives there.

So again, in Nevada the best strategy is a ballot drive, for both future and past cases. As in any state that has initiatives and referenda.

As usual with Neil123, at least half of his comments are about giving us misleading suggestions.

Even when the suggestion appears pro-death penalty, it tries to mislead us with unrealistic, secondary or otherwise counterproductive goals.

To return to the original question posed by this thread, I would characterize it as leftist and non-subtle trolling, by suggesting that when conservatives and death penalty proponents actually win, they lose, and that they can win by supporting Democrats.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post127187

That is usual from Neil123, but this time, even Aaron replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    No, no, and thrice no.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information