Thread: Are death row inmates segregated from each other ?

jadej

Are death row inmates segregated from each other ?

Hi, I'm writing a paper on death row and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if any of the states that have the death penalty segregate their death row inmates from other? For example are certain death row inmates housed in different sections of a prison away from others on death row or are the all kept in one section?

Hi Jade and welcome to the site.

Yes, to start off for you, we'll aim at Texas' Death Row. At the Polunsky Unit in Livingston, #999607 Billy Joel Tracy killed Correctional Officer Timothy Davison in July 2015 by beating him to death with a tray bar whilst in general population.

Tracy was handed down a death sentence in November 2017 and since his arrival in Polunsky, he has been placed on the Death Watch section where death row inmates awaiting execution see out their final days to months.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

jadej
    Hi Ryan , thank you for your reply , but Billy Joel Tracey is still in the death row section though right? I'm trying to find out if any are segregated completely from others on the same sentence structure . Say some death row are in population and others are not ?

Yes, California and Oregon are preparing to co-mingle death row inmates with general population. Oregon announced there plans to close its death row in May 2020.

There are some in Texas who are on death row but placed at a different facility at the Jester Unit, that of Andre Thomas.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Most of the states keep them all in one facility however there are many exceptions to this. For instance...

If they are not mentally stable in Texas they will be moved to the Jester Unit IV.

Certain states such as Alabama require that certain inmates stay within the county there were sentenced.

Pennsylvania splits up their death row into two main facilities SCI Greene and SCI Phoenix which are both over 330 miles away from each other. Some inmates from Eastern Pennsylvania have to be close to the counties that sentenced them so they are housed in Phoenix.

In California they are segregated by security level and gang afflation at San Quentin since there are so many of them.

In Missouri if a death row inmate isn't a security issue they are allowed into general population however if they are security problem they are housed with the other death row inmates who are a nuisance.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-10-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information