Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Fredric Allen Rogers in 2020 AL Multiple Slayings

Death Penalty Trial Set for Fredric Allen Rogers in 2020 AL Multiple Slayings

Top row: Tammy Muzzy 45,
    Rodger Jones Jr. 19, Emily Payne 21 Bottom row: Dakota Green 17, Zane Hodgins 18, and Jeramy Roberts 31

Fredric Allen Rogers

Killings of 7 in Morgan County: Who did it? Agencies continue to search

By Bob Sims
    AL.com

Officials say they are continuing with every effort possible the hunt for who is responsible for the deaths of seven in Morgan County late June 4, 2020.

Morgan County Coroner Jeff Chunn said all died of multiple gunshot wounds.

The county sheriff, DA, coroner and state, federal and other local agencies held a briefing at 1 p.m. But officials did not release details of the investigation. They announced no arrests, but did apologize to their community and expressed their sorrow to the families of the victims. They insisted they believe that while the suspect or suspects are dangerous, they pose no threat to the community.

Authorities and neighbors say the shooting deaths in a Valhermoso Springs could be drug-related. Friday afternoon they said they started with no leads and no suspects, but many agencies have worked together to progress.

They did not describe any of that progress.

The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office reported Saturday that the victims are James Wayne Benford, 22, of Decatur; Tammy England Muzzey, 45, of Valhermoso Springs; Emily Brooke Payne, 21, of Valhermoso Springs; Roger Lee Jones Jr., 20 of Decatur; Jeramy Wade Roberts, 31, of Athens; and William Zane Hodgin, 18, of Somerville. The name of the seventh victim, a female, 17, has not been released to the public.

Deputies are familiar with the residence, with a spokesman saying the county has responded to six calls at the ranch style house in 2020, including three drug overdoses. The house is about 20 minutes from Huntsville.

“This is without a doubt the most significant crime ever in Morgan County,” District Attorney Scott Anderson said Friday.

“Our team is resolved to find, arrest and prosecute the person responsible for these cold-blooded murders,” said Morgan Sheriff Ron W. Puckett.

The FBI is also participating in the probe. Officials said they have received at least 100 tips from the public.

None of the officials would give any details of the case, nor the investigation. They did display photographs of the victims.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/kill...-on-probe.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Two arrested for murders of 7 people in Morgan County

By Lee Roop
    AL.com

Two people have been arrested and charged in the fatal shootings of seven people at a residence in Morgan County earlier this month.

The Sheriff’s Department has a news conference scheduled for noon to provide more details on what investigators called “cold-blooded ... heinous” homicides.

https://www.al.com/crime/2020/06/two...an-county.html

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Two suspects in connection to Valhermoso Springs septuple homicide arrested in Oregon

By Eric Graves
    WBRC News

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - Two people have been arrested in connection to the early June killings of seven people in Valhermoso Springs.

The suspects have been identified as 20-year-old John Michael Legg and 23-year-old Frederic Allen Rogers.

Morgan County Sheriff Ron Puckett says they were arrested in Marion County, Oregon during a traffic stop without incident.

Legg and Rogers face capital murder charges. The suspects will be extradited back to Alabama.

Sheriff Puckett says both suspects are from Morgan County, and knew everyone in the house where the murder happened. Puckett says the suspects and at least three of the victims were part of a local club called “Seven Deadly Sins.”

One of the suspects have family in Oregon. Sheriff Puckett says the suspects have no criminal record.

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/06/22/morg...uple-homicide/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Text after 7 killed in Morgan County said ‘everything has been dealt with,’ affidavit says

By Patrick Ary and Kelley Smith
    WHNT News

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. – Two men facing capital murder charges in Morgan County were part of a club and wanted to ‘wipe the slate clean’ after members disobeyed, according to arrest warrants for the two.

John Michael Legg, 20 of Danville, and Frederic “Rick” Allen Rogers, 23, were arrested in Oregon Sunday. The two are wanted for the killings of seven people at a home in Morgan County June 4.

Their arrest warrants contain information from a witness interviewed by the FBI who said they lived at the house on Talucah Road, reffered to as the “club house” for the “Seven Deadly Sins” where the bodies were found. Three of the victims – Jeremy Roberts, James Benford and Roger Jones Jr. – were also members of the club according to the affadavit.

The arrest warrant did not give details on what went on at the home that led them to refer to it in that way, but Morgan County Sheriff Ron Puckett said in a news conference that the club had been in the process of dismantling.

In an interview Wednesday, Morgan County Sheriff PIO, Michael Swafford said the investigation into the club is ongoing. He says there were 6 members of Seven Deadly Sins and it does not appear to be part of any larger group. WHNT News 19 asked what club members did together.

“I think they had some type of plan of things they wanted to accomplish together and as part of doing that you know, you give yourselves a name. Now what all those things were continue to be seen,” Swafford said.

Legg and Rogers were upset the night of the murders about disobediance they perceived toward the club, the witness stated; Legg also was upset over the theft of some firearms. Authorities said the witness told them the two said something to the effect of “We’re going in there by force and wipe the slate clean.”

The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call of shots fired about 11:30 p.m. June 4 and found the bodies of Roberts, Benford, Jones, William Zane Hodgin, Emily Brook Payne, Tammy England Muzzey and a 17-year-old girl. All had been shot and their cell phones were missing. A dog also was killed.

About two hours later, authorities said the witness received text messages from Rogers that said “everything has been dealt with” and “if anyone asks you we’re going on vacation.” Rogers also asked the witness to take care of his cat.

Authorities tracked Legg’s cell phone and determined he cut it off about an hour and a half before the murders. It was turned on briefly the next day in Kansas, they said.

Authorities said they determined Legg and Rogers were headed to Salem, Ore., where one of them had family. Authorities in Marion County, Ore., spotted them in a Dodge Charger with Alabama plates and took them into custody without incident.

Sheriff Puckett says both Legg and Rogers did not have a criminal record prior to this incident. How two young people with no criminal record are charged with something like this, is a question that continues to puzzle the community.

“I think as the DA processes the case and begins to piece together what we have learned and have continued to learn, hopefully that becomes clear because I know a lot of people at home want to know how do you go from almost high school age to being able to commit a crime like this,” Swafford said. “But anytime you get mixed up in things it can lead to other things and potentially that’s what happened here.”

There’s no word yet on when Legg and Rogers will be brought back to Alabama. Authorities said they have waived extradition.

https://whnt.com/news/text-after-7-k...ffadavit-says/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Two suspects in killing of seven people arrive back in Alabama to face capital murder charges

By WAFF Digital News Staff

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - The two men accused of killing seven people and a dog inside a home in Morgan County are back in Alabama and on the way to Morgan County.

John Michael Legg and Frederic “Rick” Rogers as they were being loaded into a Morgan County sheriff’s office vehicle in *Birmingham. A reporter from our sister station in Birmingham briefly talked to the suspects.

“Do you have anything to say?”

Rogers, “no comment.”

Legg, “I love you dad. Sorry.”

Both Legg and Rogers are charged with capital murder.

An affidavit is shedding light on the possible motive behind the septuple murder at a Valhermoso Springs home earlier this month.

Michael Legg, 19, and Frederic Allen Rogers, 22, are charged with capital murder in the deaths of the seven people killed on June 4. They were arrested in Marion County, Oregon this week. They are waiting for extradition.

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/06/29/two-...urder-charges/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

MORGAN COUNTY MASS MURDER SUSPECTS APPEAR IN COURT

By Ashley Thusius
    WAAY News

The suspects charged for a mass murder in Morgan County appeared in court on Monday.

According to court documents, John Legg, 19, had an initial court appearance on Monday, where he was appointed two attorneys. Legg is held without bond, and no other court date is currently set.

Rick Rogers, 23, also had his initial court appearance on Monday, and two attorneys were appointed to the case. He's also held without bond, and another court date hasn’t been set.

Both Legg and Rogers are charged with capital murder for the shooting deaths of seven people at a home in Valhermoso Springs on June 4. They were arrested during a traffic stop in Marion County, Oregon on June 22 and were booked in the Morgan County Jail Sunday night.

Authorities say the suspects knew all seven victims. The victims were identified as 45-year-old Tammy Muzzey, 31-year-old Jeramy Roberts, 22-year-old James Benford, 21-year-old Emily Payne, 19-year-old Roger Jones, Jr., 18-year-old William Hodgin and a 17-year-old juvenile.

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...571561301.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

MORGAN COUNTY MURDER SUSPECTS INDICTED FOR KILLING SEVEN PEOPLE

It happened in June of 2020 at a home in Valhermoso Springs

By Ashley Thusius
    WAAY News

Two suspects accused of murdering seven people in Morgan County were indicted on Friday.

Frederic Allen Rogers, 23, and John Michael Legg, 20, are charged with six counts of capital murder for a shooting in June of 2020 at a home in Valhermoso Springs.

Rogers and Legg are held in the Morgan County Jail without bond. They were arrested in Oregon and extradited back to Alabama.

Authorities said some of the victims were partially burned in a fire set by the suspects.

The victims were identified as 45-year-old Tammy Muzzey, 31-year-old Jeramy Roberts, 22-year-old James Benford, 21-year-old Emily Payne, 19-year-old Roger Jones, Jr., 18-year-old William Hodgin and a 17-year-old juvenile.

Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson says he'll seek a death sentence for Rogers and Legg.

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...573879881.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Sheriff reflects on Valhermoso Springs mass murder one year later

“The years that I’ve been working as a law enforcement officer, I’ve never seen that many individuals killed at one time,”

By Madison Scarpino
    WAFF News

VALHERMOSO SPRINGS, Ala. (WAFF) - June 4 marks one year since seven people were found murdered inside a Morgan County home. On that day in 2020, Morgan County deputies responded to a call in Valhermoso Springs of shots fired at a home on Talucah Rd.

When they arrived, the house was on fire and seven people were found inside, shot to death.

“The years that I’ve been working as a law enforcement officer, I’ve never seen that many individuals killed at one time,” said Morgan County Sheriff Ron Puckett.

Multiple agencies worked to solve this case, including the FBI violent crime task force who assisted with locating the suspects.

“The subjects had fled and went to Oregon. So we were able to pick up the phone, call our Portland office and request that they go out to do follow-ups and chase leads for us involving that investigation,” said FBI agent Jeffrey Brown.

John Legg and Frederic Rogers were later arrested in Oregon, and are currently in the Morgan County jail with no bond. Sheriff Puckett calls it one of the biggest cases in Morgan County history.

One year later, his thoughts turn to the families of the seven people who were violently killed.

“We have to move on, we have other things to do but for them, time stops and they remember this day a year ago like it was today,” said Puckett.

Puckett says this case left a lasting impact on his deputies.

“Through all the different agencies that we work with, especially with this case, we know that really nothing is impossible if we all work together,” said Puckett.

The District Attorney plans on seeking the death penalty for both defendants who are facing capital murder, robbery, arson and other charges.

“I hope the arrests close one part of the chapter of this long book that will be called the justice journey for them,” said Puckett.

Both Legg and Rogers are scheduled to appear in court later this month on the 29th.

https://www.waff.com/2021/06/04/sher...ne-year-later/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Men charged with murdering 7 at Morgan County home appear in court

WHNT News

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. — One of two men charged with killing seven people at a Morgan County home last year pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Tuesday afternoon.

Frederic Allen Rogers, 23, pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental defect to all counts against him.

His alleged accomplice, John Michael Legg, 20, is seeking youthful offender status in the case and did not enter a plea Tuesday. He was 19 at the time of the killings in June 2020. A hearing for his youthful offender status request has not been set.

The judge set a Nov. 16 date for all motions to be filed in Rogers’ case.

According to investigators, Rogers and Legg were the leaders of a gang called the 7 Deadly Sins. Rogers and Legg were concerned that one of the other members, Jeramy Roberts, had committed a crime that would get them in trouble, investigators said.

An FBI agent testified in their preliminary hearing that Rogers said after his arrest that he and Legg went to the home, killed everyone, set the house on fire and then left to go get some marijuana.
    <aside>
    </aside>Authorities said when they arrived at the scene they found gasoline had been poured over part of the house and on some of the victims and then set on fire.

According to investigators, Rogers and Legg were the leaders of a gang called the 7 Deadly Sins. Rogers and Legg were concerned that one of the other members, Jeramy Roberts, had committed a crime that would get them in trouble, investigators said.

An FBI agent testified in their preliminary hearing that Rogers said after his arrest that he and Legg went to the home, killed everyone, set the house on fire and then left to go get some marijuana.
    <aside>
    </aside>Authorities said when they arrived at the scene they found gasoline had been poured over part of the house and on some of the victims and then set on fire.

Morgan County authorities said a witness in the case received text messages from Rogers after the murders saying “everything has been dealt with” and “if anyone asks you we’re going on vacation.”

https://whnt.com/news/men-charged-wi...pear-in-court/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man accused of 7 Alabama murders when he was 19 denied youthful offender status

By William Thornton
    AL.com

A man who is accused in the killing of seven people last year in Morgan County was denied youthful offender status by a judge on Tuesday, according to WAFF.

John Michael Legg was 19 on June 4, 2020, when seven people were shot dead in a house on Talucah Road in Valhermoso Springs in eastern Morgan County.

In June, Legg's attorneys submitted an application for youthful offender status, which limits the amount of time an offender can spend in prison and seals the record in the case.

The other man charged in the crime, Frederic Allen Rogers, 23, of Woodville, has a Nov. 16 hearing set. He pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental defect earlier this year.

A grand jury in February indicted Rogers and Legg on sic counts of capital murder. The defendants have been in the Morgan County Jail with no bail since their arrests in Marion County, Ore., on June 21, 2020.

At a preliminary hearing, FBI investigator Chris Hendon testified that Rogers gave a written statement that said he fatally shot James Wayne Benford, 22, of Decatur, Jeramy Roberts, 31, of Athens, Roger Lee Jones Jr., 20, of Decatur, and William Zane Hodgin, 18, of Somerville.

Rogers’ statement, according to Hendon, said Legg was responsible for the shooting deaths of homeowner Tammy England Muzzey, 45, Emily Payne, 21, and Dakota Green, 17, all of Valhermoso Springs.

Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson said in February he would seek the death penalty for the two.

According to a search warrant affidavit, a witness said Legg and Rogers were members of a club called “7 Deadly Sins,” which also included at least three of the homicide victims.

Rogers and Legg “became upset, particularly Legg, over the perceived disobedience towards the club and the theft of several of his firearms a few hours before the homicides,” according to the affidavit.

According to Hendon’s testimony, some of the bodies had been doused with gasoline and were partially burned. Authorities found about 60 spent bullet casings in the house. A small dog was also fatally shot.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/10/man-...er-status.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information