Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Tony "TJ" Wiggins in 2020 FL Triple Slaying

Death Penalty Trial Set for Tony "TJ" Wiggins in 2020 FL Triple Slaying

Judd: 3 close friends ‘massacred’ during fishing trip in Frostproof

By WFLA 8 On Your Side News Staff

POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) –Three young men were “massacred” during a fishing trip in Frostproof Friday night in what Sheriff Grady Judd called one of the worst murder scenes he’s ever witnessed.

Judd said Frostproof residents Brandon Rollins, 27, Keven Springfield, 30, and Damion Tillman, 23, were to meet at Lake Streety off US Hwy 27 Friday evening for some ‘night fishing.’

“It’s about as far out in the middle of the woods as you can get,” Judd said. “It’s a peaceful area. There’s a beautiful lake where three very close friends were going fishing last night.”

Judd said Damion arrived first to the lake in his truck. As soon as he did, investigators believe he was murdered by one or more individuals.

They were in the process of murdering Tillman when Judd said Rollins and Springfield arrived in another vehicle. Detectives believe they were immediately “shot up.”

“Here’s what the murderers didn’t count on,” Judd said. “One of our victims, Brandon Rollins, was able to call his father and say, ‘help.'”

The sheriff said Rollins’ father heard the call, got up, got dressed and drove to the lake. When he arrived, he witnessed what had happened.

Judd said the father was able to have final words with his son, Brandon, before he passed. The information Rollins gave to his father about the suspects remains confidential, the sheriff’s office said.

“These folks appear to be beaten and shot,” Judd said. “Do you hear me? Beaten and shot.”

Judd could not say whether the murders were random, or targeted.

“One or more murderers that killed three people in a little country community,” he continued. “A very safe, very quiet community. Murdered them while they were on their way to go catfishing last night.”

Judd said there is a $5,000 reward for anyone who has information that leads to the arrest of the murderers in the case.

“I’ve been to a lot of murder scenes in my life, and this ranks among the worst I’ve been to,” Judd said.

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-count...dlHbAyxa1RPVAM
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Reward of $30G posted in Florida triple homicide case

Case has generated nationwide interest, sheriff said

By Robert Gearty
    Fox News

A Florida sheriff said Monday he was banking on a $30,000 reward to help solve the murders of three buddies who were killed when they met up to go fishing.

“Look there are people out there that’ll give up their brother for $100,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said. “This is $30,000 cash. No taxes. We don’t even have to know who you are. We just need information."

Damion Tillman, 23; Keven Springfield, 30; and Brandon Rollins, 27 were killed Friday night near Lake Streety in Frostproof. Judd said the murder scene ranked as one of the worst he has seen in his long career in law enforcement.

As he announced the award, he told reporters that among the hundreds of tips authorities have received, some were promising and others were "ridiculous." He noted the case has generated nationwide interest.

After they were beaten and shot, Rollins made a desperate call for help to his father who woke up and drove to the scene, the sheriff said. Cyrus Rollins spoke to his son about what happened and then drove to a gas station to call 911. When he returned his son was dead.

“There’s been some question why didn’t the dad use the son’s phone from there,” Judd said. “Well I don’t know whether or not he looked for it but he probably wouldn’t have found it. We had a difficult time finding it ourselves.”

He said Springfield and Rollins were attacked when they arrived at the scene in Rollins’ pickup as Tillman was being killed.

Judd said the pickups were found in the middle of the road, parallel to each other--driver’s window to driver’s window. Items of value were found in the vehicles that would have been taken if the movitve for the killings was a robbery.

“We don’t see obvious reasons for theft,” Judd said. “We don’t see signs of a drug deal gone bad. We don’t see signs of a domestic violence event. So we still don’t know why the murders occurred.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/reward-of...-homicide-case
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

UPDATE: Arrests Made In Frostproof Triple Murder Massacre Of 3 Friends Fishing

FROSTPROOF, FL (CW44 News At 10)- “Here’s Tony Wiggins. Pure evil in the flesh.” – Polk County Grady Judd

The cause of massacre revealed to be a dispute over the previous sale of the suspected shooter’s truck.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 @ 11am

According to Polk County Grady Judd at a press conference on Wednesday, July 22 at 11am, three arrests have been made in the horrific massacre of three friends fishing.

According to Judd, Tony (TJ) Wiggins, 26, was “the trigger man”. His criminal career began at 12 years old. Wiggins is now 26 years old. His criminal history includes 230 felony criminal charges, 15 convictions and 2 times in state prison. Sheriff Judd paused to emphasize, “…his criminal history should shock your conscience. It certainly does mine.”

Mary Whittemore, 27, Tony Wiggins girlfriend has zero criminal history.

Robert (William) Wiggins, 21, Tony’s brother has 1 misdemeanor arrest.

Each of the suspects are from the Lake Wells and Frostproof, Florida area, as were the victims.

It was tips from the community that directed the Polk County Sheriff’s Office to this known community criminal. Sheriff Judd exclaimed how grateful he was for the outreach of support and tips. “We’ve had people as far as Tennessee willing to send us money for a reward.”

https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2020/07/2...ds-fishing-12/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

More Info.

2 brothers, girlfriend arrested in "massacre" of 3 best friends on fishing trip

CBS News

Two brothers and a woman have been arrested in connection with the "massacre" of three best friends who set out on a fishing trip at a central Florida lake last week, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said Wednesday. One of the suspects, Tony "TJ" Wiggins, 26, had previously been charged with 230 felonies, and had been consistently arrested since he was 12, Judd said.

"He's the kind of guy who would punch you in the face for no reason," the sheriff said.

His brother William Robert Wiggins, 21, and girlfriend Mary Whittemore, 27, were also arrested. The three suspects are scheduled to have their first court appearances at 1 p.m. on Thursday, CBS affiliate WTSP reports.

Investigators interviewed all three suspects and said their stories were "inconsistent and contradicting." Neither Tony Wiggins nor Mary Whittemore are cooperating with detectives, police said.

They are accused in the shooting and beating deaths of Damion Tillman, 23; Keven Springfield, 30; and Brandon Rollins, 27; on Friday night as they gathered at a remote boat ramp at Lake Streety near Frostproof.

Judd, who has worked at the agency since 1972 called the crime scene "horrific," describing the deaths as a "massacre." He said the men were beaten and "shot up."

"I've been to a lot of murder scenes in my life, and this ranks among the worst," Judd said during a Saturday news conference.

According to the sheriff, Tillman was at a Dollar General store in the area and mentioned he was meeting his friends to go fishing at the lake. The store clerk later told investigators the suspects were in the store and overheard Tillman saying he was meeting up with his friends.

Judd said Tony Wiggins told his brother to drive to the lake. Once there, Tony Wiggins confronted Springfield, accusing him of stealing his truck and selling the engine. Judd said investigators have not yet determined whether that allegation is true.

The brother told detectives Tony Wiggins shot all three victims, then asked him to help put Tillman in the back of a truck.

The sheriff said the trio then went to a McDonald's and ordered 10 double cheeseburgers and two chicken sandwiches.

Rollins was still alive when the attackers left, Judd said. He called his father for help. The father arrived about 10 minutes later but forget his cellphone in a rush to help his son, so he went to a convenience store to get help.

By the time help arrived, his son had died.

Detectives received tips about the case and obtained video from the store. During a search warrant at the suspects' homes, investigators found a gun that killed the victims, Judd said.

Tony Wiggins is charged with first-degree murder, tampering with evidence and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. His bother and girlfriend are each charged with accessory after the fact. All three were expected to appear before a judge Thursday afternoon. Attorneys for them were not listed on court records.

Earlier, Judd had announced a reward of $30,000 leading to arrests in the case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arrests...ounty-florida/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Just to put it out there the sheriff of Polk county is bad ass. He makes sure that animal abusers get the walk of shame handcuffed and that its on the evening news. Here is his comment regarding punishment in this case.

Judd said his goal is capital punishment.

“(Tony Wiggins) should have a fair trial. He should have the appropriate appeals, and then he should be executed,” Judd said. “Legally we can't execute him the same way he executed those three guys who were just trying to fish on Friday night. Nor would we suggest that the system be as barbaric as his conduct toward our three victims.”

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Just to put it out there the sheriff of Polk county is bad ass.
    I was just fixing to post that. Grady is the sort of sheriff that makes you want to move to his county.

Family of three best friends massacred at fishing spot say death penalty for the murderers is their ‘number 1 priority’

THE family of one of the three best friends slaughtered at a fishing spot have said the death penalty for the murderers is their “number one priority”.

Childhood friends Damion Tillman, 23, Keven Springfield, 30, and Brandon Rollins, 27, were killed while they were out fishing Frostproof, Florida, last Friday evening.

Brandon Rollins was one of three friends killed while they were out fishing

Damion Tillman was also brutally gunned down

Keven Springfield was also slaughtered at the Florida lake

Tony 'TJ' Wiggins, 26, his girlfriend Mary Whittemore, 27, and his brother Robert Wiggins, 21, were arrested and charged over the deaths.

Investigators said TJ tailed Tillman to a lake, murdered the group and then headed to a McDonald's to gorge on 10 cheeseburgers and two McChicken sandwiches.

Rollins’ distraught mom called for her son’s murderers to be executed as the three accused appeared for their first court hearing Thursday.

Dottie Payton told ABC Action News: “The death penalty is definitely our number one priority.”

She claimed that TJ should not have been free to commit the triple murder.

TJ is said to have a long rap sheet with 230 felony charges, 15 convictions and two periods behind bars.

“I just don't understand how that many charges, being a convicted felon and you're out here walking the streets like a normal person,” said Payton.

Ms Payton also claimed she had her suspicions about TJ being involved in her son’s murder even before cops made the arrests.

“He was always a rough kid - always in trouble,” she said. “I had suspicions... my son was there at the wrong time.”

She added: “It's gonna be very hard because when I go back to work, I'm not gonna get that phone call on the way home 'mom, I'm off work, come pick me up.'

“I'm not gonna have that chance no more to get the call to pick him up. So it's gonna be very hard.”

Rollins’ dad, Cyril Rollins, was first on the scene of the massacre and held his dying son in his arms by the lake, said he couldn’t stop thinking about the final moments of his son’s life.

Before he died Rollins had been able to call is dad and get out the world “help”.

Cyril said: “He could call anybody. 911, anything, but he didn't cause he called me. He knew his daddy was gonna be here.”

The family revealed the three victims grew up together on the same street and had known the suspected killers for years.

Rollins’ girlfriend Jessica Steenson said they had never liked the “Wiggins boys” and she suspected they may have been high on drugs at the time of the murders.

She told WFLA News: “We knew TJ. We didn't know him personally but we knew the Wiggins boys and we never liked them,” and added they “never knew [TJ] would ever do this.”

“They're drug heads and they could have been high out of their minds who knows.”

The three suspects appeared in court via a video link Thursday afternoon where they were read out their charges.

TJ was charged with three counts of first degree murder and is being held without bond.

TJ was out on bond at the time of the murders accused of breaking a man's arm with a crowbar, according to cops.

Whittemore, charged with three counts of accessory to murder, had her bond set at $45,000.

Robert Wiggins is charged with three counts of accessory to murder and tampering with evidence. He had his bond set at $46,000.

CALL FOR DEATH PENALTY
    TJ is seen talking to Tillman before the shooting on Friday night in security footage from a Dollar General store, which was released by cops Wednesday.

TJ is seen raising his harms in a surrender gesture and shrugs his shoulder before leaving the store with TJ walking out shortly afterwards.

Cops say TJ then followed Tillman to the remote fishing spot where he was meeting Springfield and Rollins before shooting all three dead over a “truck deal gone wrong”.

TJ then headed to a McDonald's with Whittemore and Robert to order 10 cheeseburgers and two McChicken sandwiches, police say.

Robert Wiggins told detectives he watched as TJ shot all three victims, police said.

Each victim was shot a number of times at the remote fishing spot, police said, after TJ asked Springfield: “Where's my truck? You sold the engine out of my truck.” Springfield is said to have replied: “I don't know what you are talking about.”

TJ had wanted to confront Springfield over “some kind of truck deal” Sheriff Judd said.

Police said in a statement Wednesday: “During a search of the crime scene, detectives found a Dollar General bag and receipt dated the night of the murders, and worked their way backwards from there.

“They responded to the Dollar General store, and retrieved store video surveillance that showed one of the victims - Damion Tillman - making some purchases.

“Detectives spoke with the clerk, who knows Damion as a frequent customer. The clerk told detectives that Damion said he was going fishing.

'PURE EVIL IN THE FLESH'
    “The clerk also saw the suspects in the store at the same time, and they are also seen in the video.

“The clerk told detectives that the suspects heard Damion say he was going fishing, and that Keven would be with him, as the clerk listened to all of them talk to each other about it.”

They added: “The search warrant at the trailer also yielded ammunition that was compared to the shell casings found at the scene of the triple homicide. The ammunition was sent to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) lab for testing.

“The FDLE expedited the testing. The test results came back positive - the ammunition found in the trailer is the same ammunition fired from the gun that night, a Smith & Wesson handgun.”

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd had previously said the murder scene ranked among the worst he had ever seen.

Police arrested the accused in two travel trailers Monday where they found two SKS rifles, two Mossberg shotguns, and ammunition for both in a gun safe belonging to TJ Wiggins in one of the trailers.

TJ was first arrested aged just 12 and has 230 felonies on his rap sheet including several assault and battery, armed burglary, and weapons charges. He has been convicted on 15 felonies.

“He's a thug. He's a criminal. He's pure evil in the flesh,” Sheriff Judd said. “He's wild and he's out of control.”

Police described TJ as 'mean', 'wild' and 'violent' and someone who “would go up and punch people for no reason”.

Records show that victims Keven Springfield and Brandon Rollins had been previously arrested.

Brandon for burglary and traffic violations, Springfield for theft, burglary and domestic battery.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/122226...death-penalty/

Related:

4 arrests made at compound of alleged Frostproof triple murder gunman TJ Wiggins

By Kathy Leigh Berkowitz
    The Ledger

FROSTPROOF — As the Lake Streety Road triple homicide investigation continues, four people were arrested by the Polk County Sheriff’s Office on Friday in connection to the compound at 0 Sarver Ave. occupied by Tony “TJ” Wiggins Jr., his girlfriend Mary Whittemore and his brother William Robert Wiggins.

PCSO detectives arrested Wiggins’ father, Tony Lee Wiggins Sr., 57, on environmental charges, as well as Robert Keene, 43, Nydia Ivette Liboy, 55, and Chyanne Marie Eccleston, 20, who all lived at the rural property in south Polk County with Wiggins Jr., Whittemore and Robert Wiggins.

Sheriff Grady Judd had previously said in a press conference that Wiggins Jr., his brother, girlfriend and family were all living “off the grid” and had no running water.

Wiggins Sr. is charged with two counts of nuisance injurious to health, unpermitted landfill, unlawful storage, used waste tires, failure to report found property, unlawful use of dairy case and failure to sign a citation, according to records provided by the sheriff’s office.

The legal reference to “nuisance injurious to health” is generally defined as: Untreated or improperly treated human waste, garbage, offal, dead animals or dangerous waste materials from manufacturing processes, air pollutants, gasses and noisome odors which are harmful to human or animal life.

Keene, the Wiggins brothers’ uncle, according to sources, faces two counts of nuisance injurious to health, unpermitted landfill and unlawful storage of waste tires.

Liboy and Eccleston were both charged with two counts of nuisance injurious to health. Sources have reported that Eccleston was the girlfriend of Robert Wiggins.

Wiggins Jr., 26, was arrested for first-degree murder by PCSO deputies after he allegedly fatally shot Brandon Rollins, Damion Tillman and Keven Springfield on July 17. Also arrested were Whittemore, 27, and Robert Wiggins, 21, who detectives believe watched from their truck as the killings took place. They were charged with accessory after the fact to a capital felony.

Wiggins Jr. is being held in the Polk County Jail without bail. Robert Wiggins and Whittemore are being held with bail set at $46,000 and $45,000, respectively.

More arrests are possible, according to the PCSO, as additional details are developing as the investigation unfolds.

Polk Sheriff’s Charities collected money from the community to pay for the funerals of the three slain friends who were meeting to night fish at Lake Streety in Frostproof when they were brutally killed on the long clay road in the backwoods of Polk County.

https://www.newschief.com/news/20200...man-tj-wiggins

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

<article itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/NewsArticle" data-id="62" data-m="{&quot;i&quot;:62,&quot;p&quot;:59,&quot;n&quot ;:&quot;article&quot;,&quot;y&quot;:6,&quot;o&quot ;:3}" data-nativead-placements="article_aside:3;singlecard1:1;singleca rd2:1;singlecard3:1;singlecard4:1;singlecard5:1;si nglecard6:1;singlecard7:1;singlecard8:1;singlecard 9:1;singlecard10:1;singlecard11:1;">
    Florida woman accused of stealing almost $12K from GoFundMe meant for triple-homicide victims

By Kate Feldman
    Daily News

Florida woman accused of stealing almost $12K from GoFundMe meant for triple-homicide victims

<section data-id="70" data-m="{&quot;i&quot;:70,&quot;p&quot;:62,&quot;n&quot ;:&quot;flexarticle&quot;,&quot;y&quot;:6,&quot;o& quot;:3}"><section itemprop="articleBody" data-id="71" data-m="{&quot;i&quot;:71,&quot;p&quot;:70,&quot;n&quot ;:&quot;articlebody&quot;,&quot;y&quot;:6,&quot;o& quot;:1}">A Florida woman raised more than $11,000 for the families of three men who were killed on a fishing trip. Then, police say, she went shopping.</section></section></article>
    Amanda Brown, 32, set up a GoFundMe in the names of Brandon Rollins, Damion Tillman and Keven Springfield, the three friends who were murdered in July, for “family expenses,” according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Department. More than 200 people donated, raising $11,915.

But Brown then withdrew the money in seven transactions between July 26 and Aug. 2, some as large as $8,756.42 and the smallest at just over $28. The money, police said, was used for personal expenses, including Brown’s bills and in-store purchases throughout central Florida.

“This woman exploited family members of three young men who were brutally murdered,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said in a statement. “While they were grieving, she used their personal information to solicit complete strangers to donate money to a fake GoFundMe account. It doesn’t get much lower than that. We are thrilled that GoFundMe is reimbursing all of the donated funds back to the generous donors who were swindled.”

After being tipped off to the GoFundMe, police confirmed with the families that they had nothing to do with the fundraiser.

“I think it’s sick,” Dottie Payton, Rollins’ mother, told WFLA. “I sure hope she had fun spending the money from deceased boys and taking from the families.”

Brown has been charged with five counts of criminal use of personal ID, one count grand theft, one count misrepresentation of proceeds and one count fraud.

The stolen money will be refunded to the donors.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ms/ar-BB19vr9i

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Death penalty sought for man in shooting deaths of 3 friends

Associated Press

BARTOW, Fla. - Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for a 26-year-old man charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the fatal shootings of three friends who had gathered at a central Florida lake in July for some late night fishing.

The State Attorney’s Office filed its intent to seek the death penalty for Tony “T.J.” Wiggins Jr. on Tuesday in Polk County circuit court, the Ledger reported. Wiggins was indicted by a grand jury last month in the deaths of Brandon Rollins, 28; Damion Tillman, 23; and Keven Springfield, 30. Authorities said the three were killed as they prepared for a fishing trip on a lake in Frostproof.

Wiggins remained in the Polk County Jail, where he’s being held without bond. A lawyer wasn’t listed on court records.

Detectives tracked down Wiggins using evidence gathered at the scene and surveillance video from a Dollar General store, where he was seen talking to Tillman in the checkout line minutes before the shootings.

Wiggins’ younger brother, William Robert, told investigators during questioning that he witnessed the shootings while sitting in his brother’s pickup truck, Polk County Sheriff’s officials said. He said his brother accused Springfield, who was a mechanic, of taking his truck, reports said.

Arrest reports said Rollins called his father for help after the shootings. The father found Rollins at the scene but wasn’t able to call for help because he’d left his cellphone behind in a rush to help his son. He also told investigators he couldn’t find his son’s phone because it had fallen between the seats in the truck.

Investigators said they found bullets at the home where Wiggins was living that matched the ones fired at the scene, arrest reports said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/u...3-friends.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information