Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Howard Wilson, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Mark Howard Wilson, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Tayten and Robert Baker

Man arrested in murder of 2 teen Putnam County boys

News4JAX.com

MELROSE, Fla. – A 30-year-old man was arrested late Thursday night and charged with the murder of two young brothers in Melrose.

The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office announced late that Mark Wilson Jr. is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 12-year-old Robert Baker and 14-year-old Tayten Baker.

The boys’ grandparents told News4Jax the boys were killed Wednesday morning while they slept inside of their mother’s home.

The Sheriff’s Office said Wilson is well known to the family and there was no danger to the community. Investigators have not given any detail of how he was connected to the family or revealed any possible motive for the killings.

The Sheriff’s Office is to hold a press conference today at 10 a.m. at the Putnam County Commission Board Room. News4Jax will stream that news conference and provide updates throughout the day.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...putnam-county/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Sheriff: Putnam brothers, 12 and 14, killed with hammer, knife; man arrested

The boys' family had allowed Wilson and his girlfriend to live on the property

By Andrew Pantazi
    The Florida Times-Union

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office arrested a 30-year-old man late Thursday in the deaths of teen brothers beaten with a hammer and stabbed the day before in their Shiloh Road Melrose home.

Mark Howard Wilson Jr., 30, was charged with the first-degree murder of Robert and Tayten Baker, 12 and 14 years old. The Sheriff's Office said the Baker family had recently moved there and allowed Wilson and his girlfriend to live in a shed on the property.

Wednesday morning the boys' mother awoke to find them with traumatic injuries, the Sheriff's Office said. She and a younger child were uninjured. The boys' father is a long-distance truck driver and was not home at the time.

Putnam Sheriff Gator DeLoach said a hammer and knife were used but did not offer a possible motive. He said the Bakers arrived two weeks ago from Polk County to be close to family.

Seventh Circuit State Attorney R.J. Larizza credited law enforcement with making an arrest so quickly.

"I can tell you what justice is in this case. Justice is holding the defendant and anyone who may have aided or assisted responsible for what they may have done," Larizza said.

Larizza said while he believes the killings warrant the death penalty, he needs to review the case and speak with the family of the two boys before making a decision to pursue that course.

On his Facebook page, DeLoach called Wilson a "sick monster." He added, "My sincere hope is that the death penalty is pursued in these senseless murders."

DeLoach said that even though an arrest has been made, it's still early in the investigation. "There’s still a significant amount of work to do in this case."

DeLoach wouldn't say what relationship Wilson had with the children's family. He said Wilson has a criminal history but not violent.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...rs/5654363002/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Melrose murder suspect Mark Wilson Jr. makes first court appearance

By Landon Harrar
    WCJB News

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB) - Mark Wilson Jr. made his first appearance to the court via a zoom meeting early Saturday morning. Wilson is accused of murdering 12-year old Robert Baker and 14-year old Tayten Baker on Wednesday.

Wilson asked to be appointed a public defender instead of a personal lawyer which was approved by judge Howard McGillin because Wilson did not have a job prior to his arrest.

Wilson is being held with no bond in the Putnam County Jail for 2 charges of capital murder.

https://www.wcjb.com/2020/08/29/melr...rt-appearance/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Suspected killer of Melrose boys was dating their aunt, says relative

By Ryan Nelson
    Action News Jax

Family members of Tayten and Robert Baker, 14 and 12, who were killed in a Melrose double murder on Wednesday, are reacting to the arrest of Mark Wilson Jr. Wilson is charged with two counts of first-degree premeditated murder.

Relatives tell Action News Jax, Wilson and his girlfriend, who is the boys’ aunt, were living on the property with the boys’ family. The boys and their parents moved into the Shiloh Road home from Lakeland, FL a few weeks before the killings.

Putnam County Sheriff, Gator Deloach, said Wilson and the boys’ aunt were living in a shed. Family describes the area where the two were living as a renovated addition to the home.

Today the victims’ cousin, Angeline Cocco, spoke to Action News Jax by phone.

“We are beyond overjoyed. Honestly, we all suspected him from the get-go. Every one of us,” said Cocco.

She tells us the boys’ parents allowed Wilson and his girlfriend to stay there because the couple’s expecting a second child together.

“He’s pretty much part of the family,” said Cocco. “He has lived on and off, for years, in Lakeland with the family.”

Cocco says the family feels betrayed.

“It was horrific, like, horrific. You can’t imagine the crime scene. I did not see it, but I’ve heard enough details to visually see it mentally,” she said.

Cocco tells us she was with family late Thursday night when they got a call from the boys’ aunt, Wilson’s girlfriend.

“On the phone screaming, ‘Help, help, help, Mark confessed! Mark did it and he’s with his mom!’” she said.

Cocco says she and the victims’ mother then drove to the Wilson family home in Interlachen. She says law enforcement officers were already on scene.

“They were already on scene. They were perfect. They were talking with my cousin when we arrived,” she said. “… And as we’re going home, we see him on the ground, handcuffed, and I see the mom crying.”

Deloach did not confirm whether Wilson confessed, but did say he was arrested after an interview on Thursday night.

State attorney of the 7th circuit, R.J. Larizza, said the death penalty will be considered.

“I’ve been in the criminal justice system working since 1980, and these are some of the most brutal murders that I’ve ever heard about,” said Larizza.

Investigators say they have since recovered the murder weapons, a knife and a hammer. So far, no motive has been announced.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...FXMKR7RQQTXNE/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Witness: Suspect confesses plot to kill slain Putnam County boys' family

Action News Jax

MELROSE, Fla. – The man accused of killing two young boys in Putnam County said he and the boys’ aunt had plotted to kill the entire family, according to a warrant from the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office.

Mark Wilson Jr. was arrested last month on two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 12-year-old Robert Baker and 14-year-old Tayten Baker.

A day after the bodies of the boys were found surrounded by blood, the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office set up a controlled meeting with Wilson and a witness.

During recorded conversations with the unnamed witness, Wilson allegedly admitted to killing the boys because he felt the boys' family was trying to put stress on his family by reporting them to the Florida Department of Children and Families, the report states.

It was not immediately clear why he or his family would be reported to DCF.

Wilson went on to say that he and his girlfriend, the boys' aunt, had planned to kill the entire family including the mother and a 4-year-old boy, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The plan, Wilson told the witness, was for the aunt to kill the mother and the 4-year-old and Wilson would kill the boys. Mark told the witness he was mad because his girlfriend didn’t follow through after he killed the boys, the warrant states.

The aunt’s family told News4Jax that she had nothing to do with the planning of the murders. The family said the aunt was questioned and released and would never hurt her nephews.

They added that Wilson confessed to his real motive the next day but that isn’t able to be released at this time.

The boys’ aunt has not been charged in the case.

The Sheriff’s Office said Wilson is accused of using a hammer and a knife to take the brothers' lives. The boys' mother found their bodies when she woke up, the agency said.

Sheriff Gator DeLoach said the Baker family had moved from Polk County to Putnam County recently to be closer to family and allowed Wilson, the boyfriend of the boys' aunt, to live in a shed on their property.

“The Baker family did a lot to help these two individuals and, unfortunately, it ended in the brutal death of Robert and Tayten,” DeLoach said. “We’re grieving, along with the family.”

State Attorney RJ Larizza said the case is worthy of consideration of the death penalty, but prosecutors need to talk to the family and review the evidence before making any official decisions about whether they will pursue the death penalty against Wilson.

Wilson is being held without bond.

No future court dates were scheduled as of Tuesday morning.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...y-boys-family/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Death penalty sought for man indicted in murders of Putnam County boys

By Erik Avanier
    Action News Jax

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – The state intends to seek the death penalty for the man accused of killing two young boys in Putnam County, State Attorney R.J. Larizza announced Tuesday afternoon.

The announcement comes after Mark Wilson Jr., 30, was indicted by a Putnam County grand jury earlier in the day on two counts of first-degree murder, one count of burglary with a battery and one count of burglary while armed.

Larizza said the State Attorney’s Office consulted with the family of Robert Baker, 12, and Tayten Baker, 14, before making the decision to seek the death penalty.

“The aggravating factors are the defendant was previously convicted of another capital felony or of a felony involving the use or threat of violence to the person. Because these were double homicides committed almost simultaneously, we believe that aggravator applies. Also, the capital felony was committed while the defendant was engaged in the commission of a burglary -- a forcible felony. We also believe that the capital felonies, or murders, were especially heinous, atrocious and cruel. We also believe that they were committed in a cold, calculated and premeditated manner," Larizza said. "I can tell you it was not a difficult decision to make.”

Putnam County Gator DeLoach said he is confident that the hard work of deputies, investigators, victim advocates and the State Attorney’s Office will provide justice for the boys and bring some closure to their family.

“While it’ll be up to a jury to hear the case and decide the facts -- here is not the place to have a trial by public perception -- but I’m saying only that this is truly one of the most horrific crime scenes that I’ve ever seen in my life,” DeLoach said Tuesday. “Our thoughts and condolences remain with the family.”

Wilson was arrested in late August in the deaths of the brothers.

Sheriff Gator DeLoach said the Baker family had recently moved from Polk County to Putnam County to be closer to family and allowed Wilson, the boyfriend of the boys' aunt, to live in an outbuilding on the family’s property.

The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office said Wilson is accused of using a hammer and a knife to take the brothers' lives. The boys' mother found their bodies when she woke up, the Sheriff’s Office said.

A GoFundMe account has been created to raise funds for the boys’ family.

A day after the bodies of the boys were found surrounded by blood, the Sheriff’s Office set up a controlled meeting with Wilson and a witness.

During recorded conversations with the unnamed witness, according to a warrant, Wilson allegedly admitted to killing the boys because he felt the boys' family was trying to put stress on his family by reporting them to the Florida Department of Children and Families. It’s not clear why he or his family would be reported to DCF.

Wilson went on to say that he and his girlfriend had planned to kill the entire family, including the mother and a 4-year-old boy, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The plan, Wilson told the witness, was for the aunt to kill the mother and the 4-year-old and Wilson would kill the boys, according to the warrant. Wilson told the witness he was mad because his girlfriend didn’t follow through after he killed the boys, the warrant states.

The boy’s grandmother told News4Jax the aunt had nothing to do with the planning of the murders. The boys' aunt has not been charged in the case.

Wilson is being held without bond.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...by-grand-jury/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selection underway for man charged in murders of 2 boys in Putnam County

State to seek death penalty if Mark Wilson Jr. is convicted

Frank Powers, Assignment manager

Jury selection is underway in the trial of a man charged in the murders of two boys in Putnam County.

In August 2020, Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker were stabbed and bludgeoned to death in their home in Melrose.

Mark Wilson Jr., the boys’ aunt’s boyfriend who had been staying in a shed on the property, was arrested and later indicted on two counts of first-degree murder.

Wilson, 32, offered to plead guilty in the case, but prosecutors are determined to seek the death penalty if Wilson is convicted.

More than 200 potential jurors showed up Monday for jury selection. It could take all week.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    I wonder what the actual motive was??

According to a warrant that had information about recorded conversations with an unnamed witness, Wilson allegedly admitted to killing the boys because he felt the boys’ family was trying to put stress on Wilson’s family by reporting them to the Florida Department of Children and Families.

It’s unclear why Wilson or his family would be reported to DCF.

According to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office, Wilson said that he and his girlfriend had planned to kill the entire family, including the mother and a 4-year-old boy.

According to the warrant, the plan was for the aunt to kill the mother and the 4-year-old, and Wilson would kill the boys.

Wilson told the witness he was mad because his girlfriend didn’t follow through after he killed the boys.

The boys’ grandmother told New4JAX back in 2020, the aunt had nothing to do with the planning of the murders. The boys’ aunt has not been charged in the case.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial delayed for man accused of murdering 2 Putnam County boys due to jury issues

By Anne Maxwell
    News4JAX.com

MELROSE, Fla. – A high-profile murder trial in Putnam County was delayed Monday because of an issue with the jury.

Mark Wilson Jr., who is accused of murdering two young boys in 2020, was scheduled to appear in court Monday for the beginning of his trial, during which prosecutors said they are determined to seek the death penalty if he is convicted.

Wilson, who was 30 at the time, was arrested and later indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in connection to the deaths of Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker, who were killed with a knife and a hammer.

It is unclear what the issue with the jury was, but jury selection for the trial began last week and led to another day.

Potential jurors were dismissed because they said they heard about the case on the news or around town, and at least one potential juror was dismissed because they didn’t think they’d be able to sentence someone to death.

Wilson was the boyfriend of the boys’ aunt. The couple was staying in a shed on the property where the Baker family lived, according to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office.

According to the arrest report, he admitted to killing the two boys during a phone call that had been secretly recorded by investigators. Wilson said he felt the boy’s family was trying to put “stress” on his family by reporting them to the Department of Children and Family Services. It is unclear as to why the Baker family called DCF.

The Sheriff’s Office also said Wilson told a witness he had conspired with his girlfriend to kill the boys’ family. However, she was never charged, and a family member said she had nothing to do with the planning of the murders.

The judge said Monday the trial is expected to last all week and they will be off next week with the possibility of the trial picking back up Oct. 24.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...o-jury-issues/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information