Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Howard Wilson, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Member Member
    Wow, I thought for sure he was going to get LWOP because of what happen with Cruz last week.

The difference between this case and Cruz is that an anti didn’t lie in order to get on the jury
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Man convicted of killing 2 Putnam County boys makes final plea to judge to spare him death penalty

Jury unanimously recommended death for Mark Wilson Jr.

By Ashley Harding
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – A Putnam County man convicted of murdering two young brothers was back in court Tuesday, where a judge set a final sentencing date.

A jury unanimously recommended Mark Wilson Jr. face lethal injection for killing 14-year-old Tayten Baker and his 12-year-old brother Robert in 2020.

Tuesday’s hearing was a short one. It’s what’s legally known as a Spencer hearing. It gave Wilson’s attorneys a chance to provide additional evidence to change the penalties imposed by sentencing.

It took the jury less than an hour to recommend Wilson be put to death for killing Robert and Tayten. The boys’ family has already made their position clear.

“We want the death penalty,” their mother, Sarah Baker, said after Wilson was found guilty.

“We don’t want to work and pay taxes for him to live. Point blank. Period,” cousin Kelli Coco said after the jury’s recommendation was announced.

Now, it’ll be up to the judge to decide whether to follow through with the jury’s recommendation. A final sentencing date was set for Jan. 27.

“Defense has had their work cut out for them in this case, since the very beginning. This was a very difficult case to defend,” said defense attorney Gene Nichols, who is not connected to the case.

During Wilson’s sentencing hearing, the court heard from a psychologist and Wilson’s stepsister -- who described a childhood filled with domestic abuse and drug use. Nichols said given the facts of this case, whatever evidence was shared at Tuesday’s hearing would have to be especially compelling.

“If we see something that we have not heard and not seen and is unexpected, then that will give the judge at least a reason to pause and consider,” Nichols said. “It’s going to be very difficult for any judge in any situation to say, ‘I’m going to not follow what the jury has recommended.’”

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...death-penalty/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Man convicted of killing 2 Putnam County boys sentenced to death

By Ashley Harding and Jenese Harris
    News 4 JAX

PALATKA, Fla. – Mark Wilson Jr., the man convicted of murdering two young brothers in 2020 in Putnam County, was formally sentenced to death by a judge on Friday.

Last year, a jury recommended Wilson be put to death for beating and stabbing 14-year-old Tayten Baker and his 12-year-old brother, Robert, to death as they slept inside their Melrose home in Putnam County.

Wilson’s public defender has asked for the judge to override the jury’s recommendation for a death sentence.

Court records show Wilson’s attorney filed a 22-page document two weeks ago.

In the document, the attorney discusses his traumatic childhood and his good behavior in court and behind bars, and said that Wilson can be rehabilitated.

She argues the attack was not something planned and therefore did not fully meet the legal standard.

The attorney notes Wilson was sexually assaulted in elementary school, experienced emotional and physical abuse and neglect, and suffered brain damage.

Wilson’s attorney also said he expressed remorse for the crimes, going back to statements he made at his Spencer hearing last month.

“Your Honor, I am sorry for all that I have done,” Wilson said. “If I could take it back, I would. Sara, Kaitlyn, Mom, and all the families, I am sorry.”

The document goes on to cite Robert and Tayten’s family directly saying, “A life sentence will allow the Baker family to have closure, an end to appeals, and continued hearings that may last for decades.”

However, the victims’ family members have publicly said they want Wilson to die for this crime.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...ommends-death/

Family, state attorney react to Mark Wilson's death sentence

Tayten and Robert Baker's cousin said the boy's murders will haunt the family forever, but they’re grateful the judge sentenced Mark Wilson to death

By Cheyenne Cole
    First Coast News

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. — A Putnam County family is relieved, knowing the person who killed their young boys will die by lethal injection.

It’s an emotional time for this family. They say Tayten and Robert Baker’s murders will haunt them forever, but say they’re grateful the judge sentenced Mark Wilson to death.

Wilson lived on the Baker’s property at the time of the murders and was dating the boys’ aunt. Crime scene evidence showed he beat the brothers with a hammer and then slashed their throats.

Judge Howard McGillin called it an “egregious crime” – saying the 14-year-old Tayten was awake at the time of the murder, with a blood trail showing that he tried to reach a cell phone but died before he could. The boys’ mother discovered them the next morning.

“The defendant committed two truly horrific murders of innocent children," Judge McGillin said. "Tayten’s death, in particular, was especially cruel and undoubtedly painful. The court finds insufficient evidence to override or disagree with the jury’s recommendations. Finding that the prerequisites of law have been met and that a jury of his peers has unanimously found death to be the appropriate sentence.”

The boys’ cousin Kelli Cocco said this is the hardest loss she’s ever experienced.

“It’ll never bring the boys back,” Cocco said. “I don’t think in a case like this there is real justice, but this is the best outcome that could have happened for our family, so now we can try to find a way to move on and find our new normal.”

She said the family has memorial trees they decorate on Robert and Tayten’s birthdays each year to honor them.

State Attorney’s Office staff celebrated with the boys’ family members after the sentence was handed down.

State Attorney R.J. Larizza said the family’s lives are forever changed by what happened.

“This was a brutal and vicious murder,” Larizza said. “The defendant showed the victims no mercy, and he didn’t get any mercy today, and I’m glad he didn’t because he didn’t deserve it.”

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...a-fd045bdd1b75
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Wilson entered Florida’s death row 2/27/2023.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/OffenderSe...rowroster.aspx
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information