Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Howard Wilson, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Edited:

Trial begins Tuesday in case of man accused of murdering Putnam County boys

Trial delayed day, jury seated Monday

By Anne Maxwell
    News4JAX.com

MELROSE, Fla. – A high-profile murder trial in Putnam County was delayed Monday because of an issue with the jury, but shortly after 6 p.m., a jury was selected.

Mark Wilson Jr., who is accused of murdering two young boys in 2020, was scheduled to appear in court Monday for the beginning of his trial, during which prosecutors said they are determined to seek the death penalty if he is convicted.

Wilson, who was 30 at the time, was arrested and later indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in connection to the deaths of Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker, who were killed with a knife and a hammer.

It is unclear what the issue with the jury was, but jury selection for the trial began last week and led to another day.

Court will be back in session at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

The judge said Monday the trial is expected to last all week and they will be off next week with the possibility of the trial picking back up Oct. 24.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...o-jury-issues/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Mother, grandmother of slain Putnam County boys testify in accused killer’s trial

Testimony underway in trial of Mark Wilson Jr., who’s accused of killing Robert & Tayten Baker

By Anne Maxwell
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – Disclaimer: Some may find the details included in this story to be graphic in nature. Discretion is advised.

Testimony began Tuesday in the trial of a man accused of killing two young brothers in 2020 in Putnam County.

Mark Wilson Jr. was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker, who were stabbed and bludgeoned in their home in Melrose. Wilson, who was dating the boys’ aunt at the time of the slayings, is facing the death penalty if convicted. It’s the first capital murder case in Putnam County in a decade.

The boys’ family members were in court Tuesday, with their mother and step-grandmother taking the stand in the morning. Some of the images displayed were so graphic that the boys’ father walked out of the courtroom.

Sarah Baker, the boys’ mother, was the first witness to take the stand. She spoke about waking up the morning of Aug. 26, 2020, and finding her sons’ bodies covered in blood.

“You could tell that his throat was severed completely through, almost to the bone, because that’s when I realized there was no pulse,” she said.

She testified that she found Tayten Baker’s body first.

“When I ripped off, the blanket I knew. It was everywhere. He was covered in blood,” she said. “I ran over to Robert, and I’m screaming at him to call 911, and I rip his blanket off and all I can remember is his head flipped forward and then it banged back up against the wall. He was the same thing, soaked in blood, and I didn’t get a good look at what his injuries looked like, but I did as far as Tayten’s. In that moment, I started screaming, like, at the top of my lungs.”

She and her 4-year-old son rushed to her father’s house nearby where she found the boys’ step-grandmother, Deborah Benson.

“She said, ‘Debbie, Debbie, call 911. I think my kids are dead,’” Benson recounted. “She was terrified and panicked, and I remember her nightgown was ripped.”

She said she didn’t believe her until she saw the bodies for herself.

“I saw Tayten, and he was laying facedown on the ground, and I knew immediately when I saw him and I told the operator, ‘Yes, he is dead,’” Benson recalled.

She said her husband, the boys’ grandfather, arrived soon after that.

“I said to him, ‘They’re dead. They are dead.’ And he said ‘No!’ And he started screaming, and he hit the door and he ran into the house,” Benson said.

Sarah Baker testified that her sister; her sister’s boyfriend at the time, Wilson; and the couple’s infant daughter were staying in an outbuilding on her property at the time of the killings. She said Wilson and her sister had stayed with them on and off over the years. She said she didn’t notice anything unusual about her sister or Wilson’s demeanor the night before, but she did see Wilson sharpening his knife as they had what she described as a normal conversation.

Prosecutors said in opening statements that Wilson admitted the next day to his mother that he murdered Robert and Tayten Baker and that she went to law enforcement. She and investigators worked together to record a conversation between her and her son in which prosecutors said Wilson confessed. Wilson, who was 30 at the time, was arrested.

The prosecution said he confessed only after being confronted with the recording — saying he used a knife and hammer that were found on the property and giving reasons that didn’t make sense, telling law enforcement he killed the 12- and 14-year-old boys to protect his family — he thought Sarah Baker and her family were “coming after us” by threatening to call the Department of Children and Families; he thought the boys were harming his daughter; and he thought the boys were sleeping with his girlfriend.

Sarah Baker testified she invited the couple to stay with her family just five days before the murders after she caught them smoking marijuana in the presence of their baby.

“I can’t remember my exact words, but it was to the lines of, ‘If you guys can’t get your **** together, then I’m going to have no choice but to turn it over to DCF to get other people involved in helping,’” she said. “But they agreed to move to my house.”

In court Tuesday, it was revealed Wilson learned his girlfriend was pregnant the night before the murders.

The defense said Wilson feels remorse and takes accountability. There has been little cross-examination of the witnesses.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...putnam-county/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Mother of man accused of killing Putnam County boys testifies in trial

Mark Wilson Jr. accused of killing Robert & Tayten Baker

By Ashley Harding
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – Disclaimer: Some may find the details included in this story to be graphic in nature. Discretion is advised.

Testimony continued Wednesday in the trial of a man accused of killing two young brothers in 2020 in Putnam County.

Mark Wilson Jr. was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker, who were stabbed and bludgeoned in their home in Melrose. Wilson, who was dating the boys’ aunt at the time of the slayings, is facing the death penalty if convicted. It’s the first capital murder case in Putnam County in a decade.

The state is still calling witnesses in the trial. The accused killer’s mother gave emotional testimony on how she helped and worked with the authorities when she found out what her son told her he had done.

Chrissy Adkins, Wilson’s mother, admitted that her son confessed to her that he is the one who killed the two boys. With that, she said, she went right to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office and agreed to talk to her son while wearing a wire.

Adkins testified that she went to the Baker home after hearing about the killings. Later, she said, her son and his girlfriend, who is Robert and Tayten Bakers’ aunt, came and stayed at her home that night. The next morning, she said, she spoke to Wilson’s girlfriend, who told her, “‘Mark needs to cooperate.’” That’s when, Adkins said, she went to the room where he was sleeping and told him he needed to cooperate, take a lie detector test and clear his name.

“I got up from the couch and took Caitlin from Cindy and I went to the back room where Mark was and I just sat on the edge (of the bed) and I said, ‘son, you need to cooperate and you need to talk to these people,’” Adkins said. “You need to take a lie detector test and you need to clear your name. He started to get out of the bed and he put his pants on. He said, ‘Mom, I can’t do that., I said, ‘Why, Mark? Did you hurt those babies?’ Mark’s left arm went straight down. His head went sideways. He said, ‘Yes, mom, I did it.’”

Adkins said, shortly after, she immediately when to the Sheriff’s Office because it “was the right thing to do for Robert, Tayten and Mark.” After talking with investigators, she said, she agreed to wear recording equipment and recorded the conversation she had with her son. The audio was then played in court. It was hard to understand, but his mother is heard pleading with him for an answer.

“I need an answer. I need to know why. Why did this happen? You are my child. You are my son. Why can’t you tell me?” she can be heard saying.

She testified in court about that conversation.

“He just said he thought he was supposed to do it,” Adkins said. “She told me there was something in his head. ... He said that he, he was supposed to, Oh, God, he was supposed to do the two boys and Cindy was supposed to do Sarah and the little boy.”

In an interview with investigators, Wilson gave conflicting answers and confusing answers--- also saying he wasn’t angry or upset during the murders.

Also in court Wednesday, prosecutors played a recording of Wilson’s interview with investigators.

“I’d been thinking about it and just psychological **** hell,” Wilson can be heard saying.

In the interview, Wilson gave conflicting answers and confusing answers and also said he wasn’t angry or upset during the murders.

“It’s really foggy,” he says. “I wasn’t really conscious.”

He said he loved the boys but said he suspected they were abusing his daughter or having relations with his girlfriend. An investigator testified today there is no evidence that any of that was happening.

In that interview, he admitted to being high on meth the morning of the killings, saying that he had been up to two or three days beforehand and that his girlfriend had been up, too. He went on to say he suspected the 12- and 14-year-old boys were sexually abusing his infant daughter and having relations with his girlfriend. Wilson said he thought she was keeping that from him.

“It would be like if somebody was making your wife and your daughter do **** and hide it from you, and you keep walking around,” he says.

An investigator testified that there is no evidence that any of that was happening.

Wilson also said he thought his girlfriend wanted him to kill them.

“She was making me feel like it was something I had to do without saying it,” he says in the audio.

The boys’ aunt has not been charged.

One of the main questions that have come up since this happened is how these murders could have taken place without anyone hearing. One of the detectives explained that was something he and his team addressed during their investigation. He said they all stood in different parts of the house. They started calling each other, shouting, making noise, banging on walls, and sure enough, due to the layout of the home, they couldn’t hear each other through the walls.

The trial will begin again at 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...unty-brothers/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man convicted of killing 2 boys in Putnam County

Mark Wilson Jr. found guilty of 2 counts of 1st-degree murder in deaths of Tayten & Robert Baker

By Anne Maxwell, Ashley Harding and Marilyn Parker
    News4JAX.com

A man was convicted Thursday of killing two young brothers in 2020 in Putnam County.

A jury found Mark Wilson Jr. guilty of two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Tayten Baker, 14, and his 12-year-old brother Robert Baker, who were stabbed and bludgeoned in their home in Melrose. He was also found guilty of burglary with assault or battery and burglary while armed.

“The most devastating thing is whatever future they had, they no longer have. All because of one mistake, one thought, whatever reasoning it was,” mother Sarah Baker said after the verdict.

“We want the death penalty,” Sarah Baker added.

“We don’t want to work and pay taxes for him to live. Point blank. Period,” remarked cousin Kelli Coco.

Sentencing will begin Oct. 24. Wilson, who was dating the boys’ aunt at the time of the slayings, is facing the death penalty. It’s the first capital murder case in Putnam County in a decade.

“The defendant murdered our child victims with a ferocity that shocked the conscience of us all,” State Attorney R.J. Larizza said in a prepared statement. “There was no mercy, only a violent and relentless rage that left two young brothers dead within their own home. He should receive the same degree of mercy he showed Tayten and Robert.”

The prosecution and the defense rested and then delivered closing arguments on Thursday. The jury left around 4:30 p.m. to begin deliberations, and shortly after 6:40 p.m., News4JAX learned a verdict had been reached.

“I think that was the hardest part to watch, that he didn’t have any kind of sympathy from what he had done,” Sarah Baker said.

In the morning, the judge denied the defense’s motion for acquittal. The defense did not call any witnesses, and it had very little cross-examination of the prosecutors’ witnesses throughout the trial.

Thursday morning also included testimony from Florida Department of Law Enforcement crime lab analysts about the DNA evidence found at the scene.

Investigators said a hammer and knife were found wrapped in placemats under a sink on the property where the slayings happened. An analyst testified that the blood of Tayten Baker was found on the hammer and that the blood found on the knife matched for Tayten Baker and other DNA found on it was a possible match for Robert Baker.

The analyst also testified that they found Wilson had likely handled the knife, saying the sample shows he is 55,000 times more likely to have handled the knife than someone else.

A swab of the placemat in which the weapons were wrapped contained both the boys’ DNA, as well as what was possibly Wilson’s DNA.

A black sweatshirt found on the scene showed the presence of blood, and analysts testified the DNA matched that of Wilson and the boys.

The prosecution and defense went back and forth over whether the murders were premeditated.

“The circumstances of arming himself with two different weapons, entering into a location where there is a distance he has to go to the first victim, repeatedly striking the victim with a hammer, and then slitting the throat and stabbing him multiple times. And then after doing that to the first victim, he proceeds to the second victim and does the same exact crime,” said Assistant State Attorney Jason Lewis.

“Looking again to the statement, repeated statements by the defendant regarding his actions, clearly point to an impulsive overreaction. He clearly refutes the state’s allegations in count one that this was a premeditated act,” said defense attorney Rosemarie Peoples.

In closing arguments, the prosecution said he should be found guilty. It contends the repeated blows the boys suffered showed their murders were premeditated.

“The evidence in this case has shown no proof that there was any reason to justifiably kill or commit excusable homicide on these two boys,” Assistant State Attorney Jennifer Dunton said.

In closing, the defense didn’t deny Wilson killed the boys, instead saying the disorganized nature of the crime scene showed it wasn’t premeditated, noting Wilson told investigators that he had been up for three days before the killings and that he thought the boys were abusing his daughter — there was never any evidence of that, however.

“Mark told [a detective] that he’d been up for three days and that he wasn’t in his right mind. [The detective] asked, ‘OK, so when this happened, you’re not pissed off and upset, you’re just cold and numb to it?’ Mark answered, ‘That’s what I’m saying, man. It wasn’t, it wasn’t me,’” said public defender Brian Smith.

In an interview with law enforcement, Wilson said that he was high on meth the morning of the slayings and that he didn’t remember.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/10/13/day-3-trial-continues-in-case-of-man-accused-of-murdering-putnam-county-boys/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Forensic psychologist says man convicted of murdering 2 Putnam County boys could have experienced ‘meth-induced psychosis’

By Anne Maxwell
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – The sentencing phase for convicted killer Mark Wilson Jr. begins Monday, Oct. 24.

A jury convicted Wilson last Thursday of two counts of first-dgree murder for sneaking into his girlfriend’s sister’s house in 2020 and murdering her young sons Tayten and Robert Baker. He is now facing the death penalty.

Family members of the young victims feel like they received a victory with the convictions, but they said they did not receive the answers they were looking for on what would drive him to do such a terrible thing seemingly out of nowhere.

Although Wilson did not provide a clear motive for killing the boys, he did say he was on meth at the time of the murders.

“He didn’t even have a reason, and it was so disappointing and enraging to watch that,” Deborah Benson, the boy’s step-grandmother said.

Wilson told investigators he’d been awake for three days leading up to the killings and was on meth at the time. The Baker brothers’ grandfather told News4JAX Wilson wasn’t known to be violent, but also said he was addicted to drugs and paranoid, suspecting a neighbor was abusing his daughter and believing he was being followed by drones.

News4JAX spoke with Forensic Psychologist Dr. Justin D’Arienzo, who is not affiliated with the case, to learn more about how the drug use could have moved him to murder.

D’Arienzo said coverage of the case suggested Wilson could have been experiencing meth-induced psychosis.

“It is a psychotic reaction based on the drug use that mimics somebody that has schizophrenia,” D’Arienzo said.

He said the drug can make people agitated, suspicious and delusional including hearing and seeing things that aren’t present.

According to D’Arienzo, nearly 40% of people who use meth will experience some levels of psychosis -- even if it’s their first time.

“There are a lot of people who use meth who don’t commit a grisly murder like this,” D’Arienzo said.

D’Arienzo said sleep deprivation, a history of mental illness and stress can fuel psychosis.

As for answers, D’Arienzo said we can’t use reason to understand behavior that defies logic.

“That’s the biggest thing is why did Tayten and Robert have to die? Why? What is the reason? We didn’t get that, and we’re not going to get that. I don’t think we’ll ever get it,” D’Arienzo said.

The defense has several mental health professionals listed as witnesses we could hear from Monday.

Dr. D’Arienzo also said drug-induced psychosis isn’t considered insanity in court as long as the defendant took the drug willingly.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...ced-psychosis/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Defense rests in trial of man convicted in killings of Putnam County boys

By Frank Powers
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – The defense rested Thursday in the trial of Mark Wilson Jr., a man convicted in the killings of two young Putnam County brothers in 2020.

Defense attorneys put a diagnostic radiologist on the stand, who described the brain scarring he found in Mark Wilson. The state’s first witness was a psychologist who examined Wilson in jail after he was convicted of the murders. She diagnosed him with substance abuse disorders and an anti-social personality disorder. She said, in her opinion, Wilson was not suffering from a major depressive disorder.

On Wednesday, Dr. Stephen Nelson, a psychologist, took the stand. He too described for the jury abnormalities found in Wilson’s brain scans. Nelson said those kinds of abnormalities can result from a mother using drugs and alcohol while pregnant, or from childhood abuse.

A day prior, defense witnesses included Wilson’s stepsister from Arizona, who described a childhood filled with heavy drug use and domestic abuse by her mother and Wilson’s father. The first psychologist to testify was Dr. Harry Krop, a veteran of dozens of criminal cases. He administered a battery of psychological and memory tests to Wilson.

Krop told the jury Wilson’s results showed moderate to severe impairment, and in several tests he scored in the lowest percentile. Krop said an intelligence test gave Wilson an IQ of 75.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...m-county-boys/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Jury recommends death for man convicted of killing 2 Putnam County boys

Judge will sentence Mark Wilson Jr. after hearing in December

By Frank Powers
    News4JAX.com

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. – After a long week of sentencing hearing testimony, a Putnam County jury unanimously recommended the death penalty Friday for Mark Wilson Jr., who was convicted of the brutal murder of two young brothers in 2020.

Wilson was found guilty earlier this month on two counts of first-degree murder for killing 12-year-old Robert Baker and 14-year-old Tayten Baker. He was dating their aunt when the boys were stabbed and bludgeoned in their home in Melrose.

The defense rested Thursday after multiple days of testimony from experts, and then prosecutors made their case that aggravating factors existed in the case to warrant the death penalty.

The jurors agreed and unanimously found aggravating factors in the case and recommended the death penalty.

The 12-0 verdict was read by the clerk after less than an hour of deliberation.

Although the jury made the recommendation, the final decision will be up to Judge Howard McGillin, who will make the decision after a Spencer hearing in December. A Spencer hearing gives a defendant an opportunity to provide additional evidence to change the penalties imposed by sentencing. In this case, it essentially gives the defense a chance to ask the judge to set aside the death penalty in favor of life in prison.

“Welcome to the 7th Circuit where making justice a reality is our sworn and solemn duty,” State Attorney R.J. Larizza said of this case. “Our heart goes out to the victims’ family. It’s in the judge’s hands now.”

The family members of the boys have made their feelings clear: They want Wilson to be executed.

“We don’t want to work and pay taxes for him to live. Point blank. Period,” cousin Kelli Coco said.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...m-county-boys/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Good and thank god this is not Polk County with the cowardly judge.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Good sheriff thou.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Yes Sheriff Grady Judd is one of the best but that judge needs to be ousted.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information