Thread: Carson Ray Peters Sentenced to LWOP in 2020 AL Triple Murders

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Carson Ray Peters Sentenced to LWOP in 2020 AL Triple Murders

May 26, 2020

Alabama triple murder suspect surrenders; woman charged with hindering prosecution

By Ashley Remkus
    AL.com

Carson Ray Peters, the man accused of killing his wife, her sister and another man in north Alabama over the weekend, has surrendered to federal law enforcement, police announced Tuesday afternoon.

Peters, 58, is being charged with multiple counts of capital murder, according to the Decatur police department. Peters accused of fatally shooting his wife, Teresa Lynn Peters, 54, of Danville; her sister Tammy Renee Smith, 50, of Danville; and James Edward Miller, 55, of Lacey’s Springs, according to the police. A fourth person was injured and taken to a hospital for treatment.

Peters turned himself in to U.S. Marshals at Decatur’s Riverwalk Marina around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Decatur Police Chief Nate Allen told a news conference.

The shootings happened Sunday night in the Danville area of Morgan County, which is part of the city of Decatur’s police jurisdiction. If convicted, Carson Peters could face the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Carson Peters was taken into custody this afternoon when he surrendered to U.S. Marshals at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur, said Emme Long, a police department spokeswoman. The man will be taken to the Morgan County Jail.

April Hanner, 41, was also arrested today on a felony charge of hindering prosecution in connection with the case, Long said. Described by police as Carson Peters’ “significant other,” Hanner is accused of helping the man avoid capture.

Hanner was arrested by U.S. Marshals in Piedmont and is being transported back to Decatur on charges of first-degree hindering prosecution. Allen said authorities are still investigating how Peters and Hanner separated.

If convicted, Hanner could face up to a decade in prison.

Teresa and Carson Peters were going through a divorce, court records show. Just days before the deadly shooting, the woman asked that her husband be held in contempt of court.

Police are still looking for a black 2013 Chevrolet 1500 pickup truck in connection with the case.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/alab...t-ongoing.html
    Last edited by Steven; 11-08-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Danville man indicted on 3 capital murder charges

By Michael Wetzel
    The Decatur Daily

The Danville man accused of fatally shooting three people including his wife in May of 2020 was indicted on three counts of capital murder by a Morgan County grand jury, and two other men were indicted in other slaying cases.

The grand jury convened in August and the indictments were released Wednesday.

Carson Ray Peters, 60, of Danville, was charged in the deaths of his wife, Teresa Lynn Peters, 53, of Danville; her sister, Tammy Renee Smith, 50, of Danville; and James Edward Miller, 55, of Lacey's Spring, Smith's boyfriend.

In addition to the capital murder charges, Peters was also indicted on a first-degree assault charge in the shooting and wounding of Mary Louise Kenney, the mother of Teresa Peters and Tammy Smith. Court records show Kenney was shot in the arm and spent several days in the hospital.

An arraignment for Carson Peters is set for Nov. 15.

Peters remains in Morgan County Jail with no bail set.

Peters in a statement to Decatur police said he shot the victims after receiving a court order related to a contempt charge his wife had filed. The statement was read at a preliminary hearing in Morgan County District Court in June 2020.

Decatur police Violent Crimes Detective Sean Mukaddam read from Peters' statement that said, "I became extremely angry" after being read the letter on the contempt charge from Circuit Court.

Three days before the shootings, Teresa Peters had filed a motion for contempt alleging that her husband entered the house at 68 Flint Creek Private Drive, removed her personal belongings and the air conditioning units, and locked them in a shed on the property. Carson Peters filed a complaint for divorce in January 2020 and as of March 2020 they were both living at the residence, but in separate rooms, according to court records. Carson Peters was ordered to appear in court to show why he shouldn't be held in contempt.

Peters, who was at a nearby house on the night of the slayings, left and drove to the 68 Flint Creek Private Drive home in a red Jeep Wrangler, according to the statement. He entered the residence then went to a bedroom where his wife was, court records show.

Carson Peters said Teresa Peters was cursing at him, and he shot her and saw her spiraling, then fall. He said in the statement that as the door opened to the laundry room, he shot Tammy Smith as she stood about 3 to 4 feet away from him. Carson Peters said he then shot Miller on the patio at a close range.

Peters said in his statement that he fled from the scene and later walked through a wooded area, staying in a cave near the property until the next morning.

According to Decatur police, Peters' girlfriend, April Peden Hanner, picked him up on May 25 and the two went to Piedmont before Peters returned to Decatur and turned himself in.

Hanner, 46, was indicted last month on a first-degree hindering prosecution charge, a Class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Carson Peters' attorneys, Jim Mason and Tom DiGiulian, did not immediately return calls seeking a comment.

https://news.yahoo.com/danville-man-...123400227.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

State to seek death penalty against man charged in Danville triple murder

Logan Sparkman

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — The State of Alabama says it will be seeking the death penalty against a man facing multiple capital murder charges for a 2020 shooting in Danville.

Carson Peters was indicted in August 2021 on four counts of capital murder and one count of first-degree assault in connection to the shooting that left three people dead and one injured in May 2020.

On Friday, November 3, the State of Alabama filed a notice of intent to seek the death penalty against Peters, who will go on trial at the end of the month. The start date for Peters’ jury trial is currently set for Nov. 29.

Around 7 p.m. on Sunday, May 24, 2020, Decatur Police said officers were called to a shooting on Flint Creek Private Drive.

James Edward Miller, Tammy Renee Smith, and Carson Peters’ ex-wife Teresa Lynn Peters were killed in the shooting. Mary Kennedy, the mother of Teresa Peters and Tammy Smith, was injured in the shooting.

Court records show Carson and Teresa Peters were going through a divorce at the time, and Decatur Police confirmed the shooting was an isolated, domestic incident. Carson Peters filed for divorce in January, but around a week before the shooting, Teresa Peters asked the judge presiding over their divorce proceedings to hold Carson in contempt of court.

Those documents were filed on Thursday, May 21st. In the filing, she said she was living in their home and he moved out.

She said he came over unannounced and “locked the air conditioner units, as well as her personal property in the shed out back.” it goes on to say Carson Peters “then left the home and took the key with him refusing to open the shed.”

The filing states Teresa Peters “has been unable to obtain her personal belongings for a few months and there is currently no air conditioning in the home.” The document asked a judge to order Carson Peters to return her belongings.

Carson Peters surrendered to U.S. Marshals the day after the shooting at the Riverwalk Marina in Decatur. The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office assisted Decatur Police with the search.

If he is convicted on the capital murder charges, Carson Peters’ trial will go to a penalty phase where a jury will vote on the death penalty or life in prison without parole. The State of Alabama still allows a judge to impose a death sentence without a unanimous jury recommendation for death if at least 10 of 12 jurors recommend a death sentence.

https://whnt.com/news/decatur/state-...le-murder/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Morgan County DA provides update on the Carson Peters case

Maggie Matteson

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – The Morgan County District Attorney called a press conference on Wednesday afternoon to provide an update on the Carson Peters capital murder case.

Peters was indicted in August 2021 on four counts of capital murder and one count of first-degree assault in connection to the shooting that left three people dead and one injured in May 2020.

On November 6, News 19 reported that the State of Alabama is seeking the death penalty. Peters’ trial is currently set to begin on November 29.

The Morgan County DA called a press conference on Thursday at noon to discuss the case. You can watch the press conference live above.

https://whnt.com/news/decatur/morgan...ters-case/amp/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Carson Peters takes plea deal for 2020 triple murder.

Maggie Matteson

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – The Morgan County District Attorney announced Wednesday that Carson Peters has accepted a plea deal for his involvement in a 2020 triple murder.

As a part of the plea deal, Peters will be sentenced to prison without the possibility of parole.

Peters was indicted in August 2021 on four counts of capital murder and one count of first-degree assault in connection to the shooting that left three people dead and one injured in May 2020.

Around 7 p.m. on Sunday, May 24, 2020, Decatur Police said officers were called to a shooting on Flint Creek Private Drive.

James Edward Miller, Tammy Renee Smith, and Carson Peters’ ex-wife Teresa Lynn Peters were killed in the shooting. Mary Kennedy, the mother of Teresa Peters and Tammy Smith, was injured in the shooting.

Court records show Carson and Teresa Peters were going through a divorce at the time, and Decatur Police confirmed the shooting was an isolated, domestic incident. Carson Peters filed for divorce in January, but around a week before the shooting, Teresa Peters asked the judge presiding over their divorce proceedings to hold Carson in contempt of court.

Those documents were filed on Thursday, May 21st. In the filing, she said she was living in their home and he moved out.

She said he came over unannounced and “locked the air conditioner units, as well as her personal property in the shed out back.” it goes on to say Carson Peters “then left the home and took the key with him refusing to open the shed.”

The filing states Teresa Peters “has been unable to obtain her personal belongings for a few months and there is currently no air conditioning in the home.” The document asked a judge to order Carson Peters to return her belongings.

Carson Peters surrendered to U.S. Marshals the day after the shooting at the Riverwalk Marina in Decatur. The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office assisted Decatur Police with the search.

On November 6, News 19 reported that the State of Alabama is seeking the death penalty. Peters’ trial was set to begin on November 29.

https://whnt.com/news/decatur/morgan...ters-case/amp/

Thread Information