Thread: Mark Eganna Spicer, Jr. Sentenced to LWOP in 2019 LA Slaying of Police Capt. Vincent Liberto Jr.

Mark Eganna Spicer, Jr. Sentenced to LWOP in 2019 LA Slaying of Police Capt. Vincent Liberto Jr.

Police Capt. Vincent Liberto Jr.

Rare death penalty sought for the man accused of killing Mandeville officer Vincent Liberto

By Sara Pagones
    Nola.com

St. Tammany Parish prosecutors haven't tried a capital case in 11 years. That could change soon, however, for they now plan to seek the death penalty for the man accused of killing Mandeville Police Capt. Vincent Liberto.

On Monday they informed attorneys for Mark Spicer, 22, who is charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated flight from an officer, as well as other charges, in the Sept. 20, 2019, shooting that killed Liberto and wounded another officer.

The last death penalty case tried in the 22nd Judicial District was in 2009, under District Attorney Warren Montgomery's predecessor, Walter Reed. A jury convicted Jamie Magee of gunning down his estranged wife and his 5-year-old son in Mandeville's Tall Timber's subdivision and sent him to death row.

Spicer is the third current defendant facing possible execution if convicted in St. Tammany. Jason Landry ad Steven Olivieri are charged in a 2018 carjacking that ended in a double murder, crimes for which Assistant District Attorney Collin Sims said prosecutors are "presently in that (death penalty) posture unless we do something different."

Liberto's death, the first for a Mandeville police officer in the line of duty in 50 years, brought an outpouring of grief for the popular 58-year-old veteran officer and father of seven.

Mandeville Officer Ben Cato had been trying to make a traffic stop on Spicer that day when the then 21-year-old suspect fled, according to police. Liberto joined the vehicle chase.

When it ended in a crash on an exit ramp, Spicer left his vehicle and fired into Liberto's unmarked car, according to police reports, fatally wounding him. He's also accused of shooting Cato.

Sims, chief of the criminal division in the District Attorney's Office, said Monday was first opportunity for all those involved in the Spicer case to come together in court since coronavirus restrictions were imposed in the spring.

The first jury trial was held this week in St. Tammany's Justice Center.

"The law requires that a notice be filed, separate and apart from the charges, of the state's intention to seek the death penalty and what grounds support it," Sims said.

Spicer is being defended by the Baton Rouge Capital Conflict Office, and his attorney also enrolled in the case on Monday, Sims said. No one from that office was available for comment Wednesday.

Mandeville Police Chief Gerald Sticker said he was not in court Monday, but he has spoken to Liberto's widow, Tracy Liberto. "The family has been adamant that they are in favor of pursuing the death penalty," Sticker said. "I fully support the family in that decision."

City employees and the Liberto family commemorated the first anniversary of his death Sunday, releasing 200 balloons at the cemetery where he is buried. "It was a time to come together with the family, to let Vince know we haven't forgotten him," Sticker said.

Death penalty cases can take time — years, even — to come to trial, according to several defense attorneys who've handled capital cases. Sticker said the Liberto family has known from the outset that the matter would not be adjudicated quickly.

"It's a marathon, not a sprint," Sticker said. "We're patient. The family and I have full confidence in Mr. Montgomery's office. They've communicated with myself and the family throughout and kept them up to date."

Montgomery, who is running for reelection, declined to comment on the case.

During a recent forum, Montgomery's opponent, Vincent Wynne, told an audience that the north shore needs a strong district attorney who can make tough decisions, including whether to seek the death penalty.

https://www.nola.com/news/courts/art...bef23c555.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Permanent memorial on the way for slain Mandeville police officer

For a year and a half now people honoring slain Mandeville police officer Vincent Liberto have been placing makeshift memorials near the spot where he was fatally shot in the line of duty.

That memorial was just taken down, as his widow looked on.

On September 20, 2019 Mandeville police officer Vincent Liberto was fatally shot in the line of duty, near the intersection of Highways 190 and 22.

“Every time we come out here it’s hard to be quite honest with you. I still get very angry still very hurt,” said Mandeville police chief Gerald Sticker, Liberto’s former boss, and an old friend.

Citizens and people who knew Officer Liberto, immediately began making contributions to a makeshift memorial at the site of his death.

But now, with his widow looking on that memorial is coming down.

Mandeville police chief Gerald Sticker served with Liberto in the Marine’s and on the Mandeville police force. He joined state transportation workers, slowly taking down flags and tributes placed in Liberto’s honor on the highways chain-link dividing fence.

“The flags were tattered and in disrepair and I know Vincent being a Marine and a police officer would support our nations flag being represented a lot better,” said Sticker.

It has been a rough year for Liberto’s wife, Tracey. She’s had a hold her family together after police say Liberto was fatally shot by 22-year-old mark Spicer during a chase. But the hardship was eased somewhat by the community outpouring.

“I just want to thank the community for all their support in the last year and a half and I’m really excited,” said Liberto’s widow, Tracey.

Though the makeshift memorial has come down, the state plans to permanently memorialize a man who was a hero to his family and community.

“Today is about doing things properly and properly honoring Captain Liberto’s life and properly displaying the American flag,” said Michael Vinsanau, a spokesman for the La. Dept of Transportation and Development.

Tracey Liberto says she will take home the remembrances.

The state will soon begin working on a new permanent tribute to Vincent Liberto which will include an American flag and a renamed interchange in honor of a man who many will never forget.

“The tragedy, as horrible as it was does not define us,” said Sticker.

“The family is really excited to have a more permanent memorial,” said Tracey Liberto.

A memorial to a man who exemplified what duty is all about, and in so doing paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Mark Spicer is currently awaiting trial for Liberto’s murder. He could face the death penalty, if convicted.

(source: WVUE news)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Covington killer gets life in prison for the murder of veteran Mandeville police captain

By Rob Masson

COVINGTON, LA (WVUE) - Mark Spicer, a 25-year-old from Covington, will face life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Mandeville Police Captain Vincent Liberto.

In a crowded Covington courtroom, Spicer apologized to the victim’s extended family, but the deep grief of Liberto’s family and friends persists.

Family and friends of Liberto were present in court moments after confronting Spicer, who confessed to the murder of the well-respected husband, father, and law officer.

“We have chosen a plea deal to ensure this monster remains behind bars for the murder of my husband, " said Tracy Liberto.

That deal, outlined in a contract for life imprisonment, takes away all avenues of appeal as it sentences Spicer on five counts, including first-degree murder of a police officer.

Spicer wore shackles, a prison jumpsuit and long hair as he addressed the court, saying he understood the deal to spare his life, but Liberto family members made it clear that they might’ve preferred the death penalty if it weren’t for repeated delays.

“We are no closer to achieving justice than we were when my husband was killed, the road to Justice has been marked with obstacles, delays and a lack of answers,” said Tracy Liberto.

Just before his life sentence was imposed, convicted killer Mark Spicer gave a brief statement to the court saying, “I’m sorry for my situation. My family grieves; their family grieves. I hope they can find peace.”

Liberto’s family members declined to comment on Spicer’s confession.

Liberto’s murder on Highway 190 in Mandeville 4 years ago has left a huge hole in the lives of his family, the community and Liberto’s former chief, who praised the family’s unity in the face of loss.

“Despite the evil, they’ve done good with it, and they are my heroes,” said former Mandeville chief Gerald Sticker.

But Liberto’s family remains angry, saying Spicer will still be able to see his family, even while in jail. At the same time, they won’t ever have the opportunity to talk to Vincent again.

“The loss of Vince left a void…the pain of the last four years is immeasurable,” said Tracy Liberto.

In addition to the first-degree murder of a police officer, Spicer pled guilty to attempted first-degree murder for wounding Officer Ben Cato, aggravated flight from an officer, obstruction of justice, and illegal possession of stolen firearms.

He will spend the rest of his life behind bars in Angola performing hard labor.

https://www.fox8live.com/2023/10/14/...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information