Thread: Jory Worthen Sentenced to 2 Concurrent Life Terms in 2019 AR Slaying of Alyssa Cannon and her Son, Braydon Ponder

Jory Worthen Sentenced to 2 Concurrent Life Terms in 2019 AR Slaying of Alyssa Cannon and her Son, Braydon Ponder

Alyssa Cannon and her son, Braydon Ponder

June 25, 2019

Investigation Underway After Mother And 4-Year-Old Son Found Slain In Camden Home

5News Web Staff

CAMDEN, Ark. (KFSM) — A mother and her 4-year-old son were found slain in a Camden, Arkansas home, leaving police searching for a 23-year-old man who dated the woman.

Alyssa Cannon, 20, and her son, Braydon Ponder were found dead around 12:45 p.m. Tuesday (June 25).

Cannon's family reported her and the boy missing Tuesday morning, saying they hadn't heard from Alyssa since Saturday (June 22).

Officers are now searching for Jory Worthen in connection with the killings.

Court records show Cannon and Worthen dated. Alyssa filed a protection order against Worthen in October 2017 accusing him of physically abusing her and threatening to kill her.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...d-4047e4f1fa8e
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Jory Worthen arrested for 2019 murders of girlfriend and her 4-year-old son

Police have been searching for Worthen since June 2019 when he allegedly murdered his girlfriend and her 4-year-old son

THV11 Digital News

CAMDEN, Arkansas — The Camden Police Department announced on its Facebook page that 24-year-old Jory Worthen was arrested by the U.S. Marshal Service in Burbank, California.

Police have been searching for Worthen as a suspect in the murders of his girlfriend Alyssa Cannon and her 4-year-old son Braydon in June 2019.

In July 2020, Worthen was put on the U.S. Marshals Top 15 Most Wanted List.

A press conference will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday morning at the Camden Police Department.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/c...e-4b1a788b6e2c
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Double homicide suspect arrives in Camden

By Patric Flannigan and Bradley Gill
    El Dorado News-Times

Camden Police Department Officers arrived Thursday afternoon with Jory Worthen in custody after a sixteen month long manhunt for the double homicide suspect.

Worthen is charged with two counts of capital murder for his alleged involvement in the deaths of 25 year old Alyssa Cannon and her four-year-old son Braydon Ponder.

A warrant filed by Camden Police Department in June of 2019 details a note found at the crime scene allegedly left by Worthen that states, “I’m sorry. I should have stopped drinking, and Alyssa was trying to kick me out because of Sydney. I lost it and finished it with instant regret. I have to die and be with them. I can’t stay here. My dad can have all of my things if he wants them. I should have got help a long time ago. If I can’t have them and be with them nobody can. I wish I could go back.”

At the time of the murders, Cannon had a restraining order against Worthen, but he was still living with her.

Worthen allegedly fled in Alyssa’s vehicle, which was later found abandoned in a parking lot in Seattle, Washington. The Western Arkansas United States Marshals Task Force was brought into the investigation to assist with apprehension since Worthen had crossed state lines and was believed to be armed and dangerous.

The investigative efforts by all agencies involved with Worthen led them to a hotel in Burbank, California on Oct. 5. After being identified by law enforcement, according to a press release from the U.S. Marshals, Worthen ran from law enforcement, but was found and taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.

On Thursday, Worthen arrived in the custody of the Camden Police Department, who sent officers earlier in the week to obtain him from California.

Worthen exited a van, in chains and wearing a San Diego Chargers shirt, holding a book. He was then taken into the Camden Police Department and booked.

”Today’s has been, as I’ve said — it’s been a long sixteen months, and it brings us one step closer today. Jory Worthen is in police department custody here in Camden. He’s being booked in and in just a few (minutes), he’ll be transported to the Ouachita County Jail, and he’ll be housed there until tomorrow at 1:30, where he’ll have his first appearance in front of a judge. We’re really relieved. I know this has been a long hard road for Angela (Cannon, Alyssa Cannon’s mother) also and hopefully we’re one step closer to where we want to be,” CPD Chief Boyd Woody said.

The Camden News spoke to Angela Cannon shortly after Worthen’s arrival. She said that she plans to go to the Ouachita County Detention Center where Worthen is being held to look him in the eye.

“I’m so relieved and so thankful that I know where he’s at,” Cannon said emotionally. “I don’t have to stay awake at night wondering where he’s at or if he’s hurting someone else. I’m so thankful to the U.S. Marshals and to Camden Police Department (Chief) Bo Woody, Lt. LaRhonda Moore. They have gone above and beyond trying to get him found and I’m thankful to all of them. And maybe now I can have some peace.”

https://www.eldoradonews.com/news/20...rrives-camden/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder case to stay in Camden

By Bradly Gill
    Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

An attorney representing a Camden man accused of killing his girlfriend and her 4-year-old son said during an arraignment Thursday that he will not seek a gag order or change of venue.

Jory Worthen, 25, is charged with two counts of capital murder in the June 2019 deaths of Alyssa Cannon, 25, and her son Braydon Ponder, both of Camden.

Their bodies were found in Cannon's home several days after Camden police say the killings occurred.

Defense attorney Gregg Parrish also filed a motion of discovery Thursday, along with notice invoking Worthen's Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and 14th Amendment rights.

Cannon had a restraining order against Worthen, but he was still living with her.

Police found Worthen's pickup at the home, but Cannon's white 2007 Honda Accord was gone.

The car was found the next month parked at a Burger King in Seattle.

Worthen was placed on the U.S. Marshals Service's 15 Most Wanted list in July, and the agency offered up to $25,000 for information leading to his arrest.

Investigative efforts led the marshals to a hotel in Burbank, Calif., where Worthen was arrested Oct. 5 after a brief chase.

He was extradited to Arkansas and arrived back in Camden on Oct. 22.

Worthen was denied bail and is being held in the Ouachita County jail.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/...tay-in-camden/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

State to seek death penalty in Worthen case

By Camden News Staff

The State of Arkansas is seeking the death penalty for Jory Worthen, according to documents filed with the circuit court of Ouachita county.

Worthen is charged with two counts of capital murder for his alleged involvement in the deaths of 25 year old Alyssa Cannon and her four-year-old son Braydon Ponder.

The documents that the, “Defendant committed each of the capital murders in an especially cruel or depraved manner.”

That and the age of Ponder led the state to seek the penalty in the case.

At the time of the murders, Cannon had a restraining order against Worthen, but he was still living with her.

Worthen allegedly fled the state in Cannon’s vehicle after the murders; it was later found abandoned in a parking lot in Seattle, Washington. The Western Arkansas United States Marshals Task Force was brought into the investigation to assist with apprehension since Worthen had crossed state lines and was believed to be armed and dangerous.

The investigative efforts by all agencies involved with Worthen led them to a hotel in Burbank, California on Oct. 5. After being identified by law enforcement, according to a press release from the U.S. Marshals, Worthen ran from law enforcement, but was found and taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.

In October , Worthen arrived back in Camden in the custody of the Camden Police Department, who sent officers earlier to obtain him from California. Worthen appeared before a judge and was denied bond. He is currently housed in Ouachita County Detention Center. His next court appearance is April 4.

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2...-worthen-case/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Jury trial set in Worthen case

By Bradly Gill
    Camden News

A new date for the jury trial of Jory Worthen has been set after the defense asked for a postponement of the original trial date.

Worthen is charged with two counts of capital murder for his alleged involvement in the deaths of 25-year-old Alyssa Cannon and her four-year-old son Braydon Ponder.

Court documents state that while Worthen’s trial was scheduled to start at the end of April 2021, his defense team has asked for “additional time to perform the ethical obligations of defense counsel in a death penalty matter.”

Additional documents filed show the court granted the motion of continuance and the trial will be held on November 1, 2021.

The State of Arkansas is seeking the death penalty for Worthen, according to documents filed with the circuit court of Ouachita County.

The documents allege that Worthen “committed each of the capital murders in an especially cruel or depraved manner.”

That, and Ponder’s age, led prosecutors to seek the penalty in the case, according to court records.

At the time of the murders, Cannon had a restraining order against Worthen, but he was still living with her, according to police records.

Worthen allegedly fled the state in Cannon’s vehicle after the murders; it was later found abandoned in a parking lot in Seattle, Washington. The Western Arkansas United States Marshals Task Force was brought into the investigation to assist with apprehension since Worthen had crossed state lines and was believed to be armed and dangerous.

The investigative efforts by all agencies involved led them to a hotel in Burbank, California, on Oct. 5, 2020. After being identified, according to a press release from the U.S. Marshals, Worthen ran from law enforcement, but was found and taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.

Later that month, Worthen arrived back in Camden in the custody of the Camden Police Department, which earlier had sent officers to obtain him from California. Worthen appeared before a judge and was denied bond. He is currently housed in Ouachita County Detention Center.

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2...l-set-in-case/

Arkansas man takes plea deal in murder of girlfriend and her 4-year-old son

Jory Worthen has accepted a plea deal of life in prison for the murder of his girlfriend Alyssa Cannon and her four-year-old son in June 2019

By THV 11 Digital News

CAMDEN, Arkansas — Jory Worthen has pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder in the June 2019 killing of his then-girlfriend Alyssa Cannon and her four-year-old son Brayden in Camden.

Cannon had an active restraining order against Worthen at the time of her death, but her family said the two were still together.

According to an affidavit, there was a note on the nightstand of the master bed found by responding officers that stated in part, "If I can't have them and be with them nobody can."

In July 2020, Worthen was put on the U.S. Marshals Top 15 Most Wanted List.

Worthen was on the run for several months before he was arrested in Burbank, California after using a stolen identity and lived in and out of hotels to hide from police.

He briefly tried running away from authorities by climbing and running on top of houses.

Worthen was originally facing two counts of capital murder, which would have landed him the death penalty. As part of the new plea deal, he will serve two life sentences, running concurrently.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/c...b-d27562070fe7

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information