Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Linda Anita Carty - Texas Death Row

She’s been out of appeals since 2018, but she’s not gonna get a date because her crime doesn’t meet Ogg’s view of worse of the worse
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Her original appeals were over with it in 2010 way before someone like Ogg could even get into office. Her being alive still can be blamed on her predecessor. Eight years from sentence to execution had the death warrant for her been signed back in 2010.

Being Carty's current status, Kimberly Cargill and Melissa Lucio are running through their appeals quickly. That is Smith County and Cameron County, respectively.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Member
    Can’t Texas AG Ken Paxton Intervene In these cases and set dates for these inmates since they’ve exhausted their appeals and Ogg Won’t do her job?

Yeah but it would get stayed by the TCCA. She was convicted based solely on the testimony of her accomplices, who struck a deal to avoid the death penalty. There is no way she goes to the chamber without at least one stay
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Can’t Texas AG Ken Paxton Intervene In these cases and set dates for these inmates since they’ve exhausted their appeals and Ogg Won’t do her job?
    Unfortunately, to my knowledge I don’t believe Paxton can intervene hence why all the Harris inmates have done nothing but accumulate over the past five years. Texas law specifically states that when the prosecution is ready and in this case it would be Ogg they must ask a state district judge to set the date of execution.
    Last edited by Neil; 11-20-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Senior Member Member
    Shame really.

Susanna Reid recently visited Darlie Routier, Patrick Murphy and Billie Coble.

Gran's 20 years as only Brit on Texas' death row for killing mum and trying to steal baby

Susanna Reid visited Linda Carty, who has been on death row in Texas for 20 years for murdering a young mum and trying to steal her four-day-old baby, a crime she insists she did not commit

As a loving gran, Linda Carty longs to hug her two grandsons, but she is on death row, the only British woman awaiting execution in the US, and must see visitors through a thick glass divide.

Carty has been on death row in Texas for 20 years for murdering a young mum and trying to steal her four-day-old baby, a crime she still insists she did not commit.

When presenter and journalist Susanna Reid visited her at the Mountain View Unit, a maximum security prison in Texas, Carty told her: “If I were guilty of this crime, I would have taken my punishment.

“Anyone who knows the system knows Texas does not admit when they are wrong. I’ll fight until the end.

“If I lose my life I know I have people behind me who will not stop until they clear my name.” Bianca Jagger has taken up Carty’s case, and human rights group Reprieve is also supporting her.

In May 2001, a court heard that Carty orchestrated the kidnap of her pregnant neighbour, Joana Rodriguez, 25, by three men in Houston, Texas, intending to cut the baby out of Joana’s body.

At the time of the murder, Carty had bought and scrubs and scissors, but Joana had given birth to son Ray four days earlier.

Ray survived the kidnapping and was found in a car the next day, but Joana was found suffocated in the boot of Linda’s car.

Susanna says: “The story is so twisted. Joana was a new mum, she had everything to live for, but died in the most horrific circumstances. Somebody needs to be held accountable for it. At the moment, that’s Linda Carty.”

Born on the island of Saint Kitts before it gained independence from Britain, Carty kept her UK citizenship and passport after moving to Houston, aged 23, with her daughter Jovelle, now mother of Carty’s teenage grandsons Jhori and Caden.

When Carty was arrested, the British consulate in Houston was not informed, as it should have been. And she was assigned the lawyer Jerry Guerinot, a notoriously hopeless attorney who lost all 34 capital cases he defended at trial.

He is said to have met Carty for just 15 minutes before her case and failed to call any defence witnesses at her trial.

The jury convicted Gerald Anderson, Chris Robinson, and Carlos Williams of going to Joana’s home on May 16, 2001, and abducting her and baby Ray.

They said Carty had wanted the baby to bring up herself. The men all received long jail terms, but only Carty got the death sentence.

Asked about her part in the crime in Susanna’s ITV documentary, Carty says: “I can truthfully look you in the eye and tell you I had nothing to do with this crime.”

Now 63, she insists she was framed and her only mistake was lending someone her car. It was used in the kidnapping, but there was no DNA evidence linking her to Joana’s murder.

But Lynn Hardaway, former Harris County Assistant District Attorney, says: “I don’t have any doubt she is guilty. All the evidence was consistent and had her as the ringleader.”

Baby clothes and a baby chair were found in the hotel room where Carty was staying at the time, and she had told her ex-boyfriend she was expecting a baby, but was not pregnant at the time of her arrest.

Carty says she had suffered a miscarriage, but this has never been corroborated by any medical records.

After spending time with Carty, Susanna is still unsure about the verdict. She says: “The fact of the matter is, a woman was found bound and gagged, and she had suffocated.

“It’s horrific. Absolutely horrific. And what the court heard Linda was planning to do with the unborn baby...it’s almost unspeakable.” But she is not 100% convinced Carty was guilty.

Susanna says: “I found it impossible to come to a final judgment. She has been tried by a jury and found guilty and all her appeals have failed.

@The justice system has found her guilty. But I have been talking to the British lawyer, who has looked into the case and listening to her American defence lawyer, who was pro death penalty before he took her case, and now says, ‘You cannot be pro death penalty when you see the injustice in this case’.

“When you talk to those people about the disputed evidence, you end up thinking, is there more to this? Who was responsible for it?

"What actually happened that night? Was she a wicked, wicked person as one of her co- defendants called her and the ringleader? Or was there a plea deal, which meant that she was held responsible? I don’t think there’s an easy or comfortable answer.”

But she does offer a verdict on death row.

Susanna says: “These are places of despair. And because of the appeals process in the US justice system, these people are there for years and years. Linda’s been there for 20 years.

"There are a huge number of people here who think that the death penalty is a good idea. If you back the death penalty, you have to be absolutely 100% sure, don’t you, that someone is guilty of the crime.”

If Carty is executed, she will be the first British prisoner to be punished with the death penalty since Ruth Ellis in 1955.

Carty says: “I would be lying it I said living in this environment I don’t think about it (execution), but I don’t let it consume my thoughts.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...-chat-26522268
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information