Thread: Timothy Paul Dunigan Pleads Guilty/Trinity Wayne Bussler Charged in 2019 GA Slaying of David Michael Watson

Timothy Paul Dunigan Pleads Guilty/Trinity Wayne Bussler Charged in 2019 GA Slaying of David Michael Watson

Timothy Paul Dunigan

Trinity Wayne Bussler

DA seeking death penalty against 2 state inmates

By Billy Hobbs
    Union-Recorder

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III has filed formal notice that he will seek the death penalty against a pair of inmates charged in the June 2019 murder of an inmate at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville.

The victim was strangled, stabbed and then set afire while in his cell, authorities say.

Barksdale filed notice of the state’s intention to seek capital punishment against Timothy Paul Dunigan and Trinity Wayne Bussler shortly before noon Friday, The Union-Recorder has learned.

The two men, who were transferred to another prison in Georgia after the killing of 26-year-old David Michael Watson, recently were each indicted by a Baldwin County grand jury on multiple felony criminal charges, according to records filed in the Baldwin County Superior Court Clerk’s Office.

A copy of the district attorney’s intention to seek the death penalty was also forwarded to Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Chief Judge Brenda H. Trammell. A copy was also sent to Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Chief Public
    Defender John Bradley, as well as to the Georgia Capital Defender’s Office.

Watson, who was serving a 25-year sentence following his conviction on a charge of aggravated sexual battery in Cowetta County Superior Court in Newnan, was in his prison cell at the time of the murder.

The Union-Recorder viewed copies of the warrants taken against Dunigan and Bussle after Watson was killed. The warrants were taken out by Georgia Department of Corrections Special Agent Nathan Adkerson.

According to the affidavit, Watson was choked and then stabbed about the face, neck and lower back multiple times, causing his death.

Watson’s bunk was then set afire, Adkerson said.

Authorities have never publicly revealed what the motive might have been for the killing.

Immediately after the two inmates were arrested and charged with murder, they were taken to the Baldwin County Law Enforcement Center where they were booked and processed. They were both then taken to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison near Jackson.

Dunigan was serving a 20-year prison sentence after a conviction of armed robbery in Bulloch County Superior Court in Statesboro in 2017.

Bussler, meanwhile, has an extensive criminal record, including convictions on charges of burglary, false imprisonment, criminal trespass, and theft by taking — all of which happened in the Conyers area of Rockdale County.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/d...46a2a61c8.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Pre-trial hearing held for state prisoner in murder case, state seeking death penalty

By Billy Hobbs
    Union-Recorder

A Georgia prison inmate already serving a 20-year sentence on an armed robbery conviction in Bulloch County is accused of brutally killing a fellow prison inmate and looking at the possibility of the death penalty, if convicted.

Timothy Paul Dunigan appeared in Baldwin County Superior Court in Milledgeville on Friday morning. A Baldwin County grand jury indicted him and co-defendant Trinity Wayne Bussler on murder charges related to the June 13, 2019, killing of David Michael Watson, 26.

Murder indictments were returned against Dunigan and Bussler on Jan. 11, 2021.

Dunigan was indicted on charges of malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, and two counts of aggravated battery.

The murder took place at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville.

In the affidavit portion of the murder warrants against both defendants, Georgia Department of Corrections Special Agent Nathan Adkerson revealed how Watson met his death.

Watson was choked and then stabbed about the face, neck and lower back multiple times, which led to his death. The victim was then placed back into his cell bunk and set afire.

District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III has announced that the state will seek the death penalty against both defendants.

“We’re here, your honor, for the first proceeding and to lay out the groundwork on the Unified Appeals (Procedure) and make sure that these attorneys, whom I’ve had the opportunity to work with already, to make sure that they are qualified to handle such a case,” Barksdale said.

During the brief pretrial hearing Friday before Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Terry N. Massey, Barksdale reiterated that the state will seek the death penalty against Dunigan, who appeared in prison clothing and under heavy security by six state corrections officers and deputies with the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office.

“I have kinda made a checklist for myself to make sure that we cover everything we need to today,” Massey said. “This is a case where the state is seeking the death penalty, is that correct?”

Barksdale replied, “Yes, your honor. The state has filed the proper notice. We did that shortly after the case was indicted. Yes, your honor, the state is seeking a death sentence on the defendant in this case.”

The two defendants in the murder case will be tried separately.

Barksdale will be the lead prosecutor in the case. He will be assisted by Assistant District Attorney Brent Cochran, who prosecutes criminal cases in Wilkinson County. Also assisting the prosecution team will be District Attorney Chief Investigator Mark Robinson.

“Mr. Robinson has a lot of experience,” Barksdale said. “He will be running point for us in regard to discovery.”

The district attorney said the district attorney’s office practices an open-file policy except for attorney’s work product.

“If defense counsel gives me enough notification, we will provide in-space where they can come and look at whatever they need to look at,” Barksdale said. “We want to make sure they have everything that we have and that they have everything they need to do their jobs.”

Massey said he wanted to ensure that any information that was provided be accurate and complete.

“That’s one of the things most important on both sides,” Massey said.

Dunigan’s lead defense attorney is Christian Lamar. And his co-counsel includes Nathanial Studelska and Sheila Galloway. Christy Dickerson, meanwhile, is serving as the mitigator for the defense team.

“The court finds that the lead counsel, plus co-counsel are all qualified to conduct this hearing and that there are no issues in the court proceeding,” Massey said.

The judge then addressed whether the defendant tends to present a challenge to the composition of the applicable county master jury list for how the jury list is drawn.

“At this point and time I’m going to allow the defendant, Mr. Dunigan, to state any objections to the defense counsel or to the manner in which defense counsel has conducted or are conducted the defense,” Massey said. “Mr. Dunigan, do you have any issues with anything you’ve seen so far from your counsel?”

Dunigan, whose face was heavily tattooed, replied with his only public statement during the hearing.

“On advice of counsel, I decline to answer any questions,” Dunigan said.

Barksdale asked the court to accept the defendant’s answer that is satisfied with the work that his counsel has provided.

“I am going to accept that answer because I don’t want to get into attorney/client discussions at this point,” Massey said. “But if there are any issues that you have then that would be one of the things that we would need to know sooner, rather than later.”

The next pre-trial hearing regarding this case is set for Aug. 18 at 9 a.m. in Baldwin County Superior Court.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/p...ecc283faf.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Incarcerated man indicted in Baldwin State Prison inmate's violent killing

By Claire Helm
    WGXA News

BALDWIN COUNTY, Ga. -- A man serving out a prison sentence for armed robbery has been newly indicted in a 2019 murder out of Baldwin County.

Timothy Paul Dunigan was indicted last week in Baldwin County Superior Court for malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, and two counts of aggravated battery.

Dunigan is accused of killing David Watson in June 2019. State corrections officials at the time said it appeared that the victim had gotten into a fight with another inmate.

Within weeks, Dunigan and another suspect, Trinity Wayne Bussler, were charge with Watson's murder.

The indictment states Watson died of sharp force injuries and asphyxiation by strangulation. It also states that Watson was set on fire.

Dunigan is currently serving his sentence at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification State Prison in Jackson for an armed robbery out of Bulloch County.

Bussler is also serving his sentence at the prison in Jackson for burglary, false imprisonment, and criminal trespassing convictions out of Rockdale County.

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/incarcera...iolent-killing

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Bussler pleads not guilty in prison murder

By Billy Hobbs
    Union-Recorder

Trinity Wayne Bussler, one of two state prison inmates accused in the brutal 2019 slaying of another inmate while incarcerated at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville, recently pleaded not guilty to charges associated with the case.

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III, who is jointly prosecuting the case with Assistant District Attorney Brent Cochran, is seeking the death penalty against Bussler, of Covington, and his co-defendant, Timothy Paul Dunigan, of Statesboro.

Bussler’s not guilty plea came during an arraignment hearing last Friday morning in Baldwin County Superior Court in Milledgeville.

Bussler and Dunigan, who will be tried separately, are jointly accused of choking, stabbing and setting afire 26-year-old David Michael Watson. The brutal murder took place June 13, 2019, in Watson’s cell at the prison.

The victim was choked and stabbed about the face, neck and lower back multiple times, according to a copy of the warrants, which were viewed by The Union-Recorder shortly after authorities made arrests in the case.

Watson was then placed on the bunk in his cell and set on fire.

Watson was serving a 25-year sentence on a conviction of aggravated sexual battery. He was convicted in Coweta County Superior Court in Newnan.

The two inmates accused of killing Watson were taken into custody a short time afterward by Georgia Department of Corrections Special Agent Nathan Adkerson.

Bussler and Dunigan are already serving extensive prison sentences.

Bussler appeared in Baldwin County Superior Court in Milledgeville where he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him in the Watson case. He was accompanied by his two defense attorneys.

The hearing was held before Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Amanda S. Petty.

Barksdale and defense attorneys are conferring about a possible trial date for Bussler.

Dunigan’s case is being handled by Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Terry Massey. A trial date has not yet been set in that case either.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/b...6011000d0.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

D.A. withdraws death penalty notice in murder case

Billy Hobbs

The district attorney has withdrawn a death penalty notice against a state prison inmate accused of killing another inmate in 2019 at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville.

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III announced the decision during a Wednesday morning hearing in Baldwin County Superior Court.

The co-defendant in the case, Timothy Dunigan, who has yet to stand trial, will no longer face the possibility of death as a form of punishment if he is convicted.

Dunigan and co-defendant Trinity Wayne Bussler, who will be tried separately, are accused of killing 26-year-old David Michael Watson on June 13, 2019. The co-defendants and victim were all serving sentences at the local state prison at the time.

Both men were arrested and charged with malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault and two counts of aggravated battery.

Dunigan and Bussler were indicted on the charges by a Baldwin County grand jury on Jan. 11, 2021.

Authorities contend Dunigan and Bussler stabbed Watson about his face, neck and lower back multiple times, which led to his death. The victim was then placed into his cell bunk and set afire.

“This is a case that has been pending for quite some time,” Barksdale told Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Terry N. Massey.

The district attorney noted there had been no motions heard regarding the case.

“In the meantime, I’ve had the opportunity to have multiple conversations with defense counsel,” Barksdale said. “At this time, we have an agreement that we want to put on the records and make sure that the court understands that this agreement is contingent on a couple of things.”

The district attorney said he had offered to withdraw the death notice and the state’s intention to seek the death penalty against Dunigan.

“And I’m not going to get into the factors at this time as to why we’re doing that,” Barksdale said.

The district attorney said he had not yet made a decision on whether or not he would withdraw the death notice against Bussler.

“There are circumstances that we have contemplated that have led us to make this determination,” Barksdale said. “In exchange for us withdrawing our death notice and our efforts to seek the death penalty on this defendant, what we have agreed to is for you, your honor, to issue an order specifically setting this case for trial the week of Nov. 6.”

One of the stipulations in the agreement between the prosecution team and defense team is that the current defense attorneys continue serving as Dunigan’s trial attorneys.

Dunigan is represented by Nathanial L. Studelska, a supervising attorney with the Georgia Public Defender Council; and Laura Cobb, who is an assistant defense attorney with the same state agency. They both work out of the Georgia Public Defender Council Office in Athens.

Dunigan sat at a table in between his defense attorneys Wednesday, clad in white prison clothing, wearing a bright orange vest, with a covering over his hands, which were in handcuffs. His legs were also shackled.

He was guarded in the courtroom by five Georgia Department of Corrections officers.

A pair of deputies with the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office also provided security in the courtroom.

Studelska agreed with the comments made by Barksdale concerning the dismissal of the death penalty notice.

Barksdale said he anticipated the murder trial lasting about a week.

“I would think a week at least would be a good estimate,” Studelska said.

Massey later asked attorneys how long they thought they would need to present motions in the case.

Non-evidential motions will be heard on April 4. Additional motions will be heard on May 22 and 23.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/d...8fc798124.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

State inmate pleads guilty to murder

By Billy Hobbs
    Union-Recorder

A Georgia state prison inmate, already serving time on an armed robbery conviction out of Bulloch County, recently pleaded guilty to a charge of malice murder involving the brutal death of another state prison inmate. The homicide case happened at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville on June 5, 2019.

Timothy Paul Dunigan’s plea to the charge was done before Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Terry N. Massey on Wednesday, Oct. 18 in Baldwin County Superior Court in Milledgeville, according to Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III.

Dunigan confessed to killing 26-year-old David Micheal Watson, a fellow inmate at the local state prison.

Dunigan, who is being represented by Nathan Studelska, Sheila Galloway and Christian Lamar, is expected to appear before Massey again on Nov. 18 for sentencing in connection with Watson’s murder.

Barksdale said Dunigan, along with a co-defendant, Trinity Wayne Bussler, who also is charged with murder in connection with the case but has not yet been tried, brutally took Watson’s life.

In the affidavit portion of warrants taken out against both Dunigan and Bussler by Georgia Department of Corrections Special Agent Nathan Adkerson, Watson was choked and stabbed about the face, neck and lower back. He was later placed on his bunk and set afire.

Shortly after Barksdale was elected district attorney, he announced that he would seek the death penalty against both Dunigan and Bussler. He went forward with serving the defendants death notices but later withdrew both of them.

Dunigan was serving prison time for the June 13, 2017, armed robbery of the Northside Drive El Sombrero in Bulloch County. He and two other defendants charged in that case held an employee at gunpoint with the intent of committing arm robbery.

Dunigan was sentenced to 20 years with the first 13 years to be served in confinement and the remaining years on probation for the 2017 crime. The other two defendants accepted plea agreements and were sentenced under the First Offender Act to 10 years each in prison, followed by five years each on probation.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/s...328c935c6.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information