Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Endgame: The End of the Death Penalty

Alabama and Texas are the only two that can execute right now. If both of them somehow comply with the standards set for by the Supreme Court and TCCA doesn’t stay every execution this year like they usually do.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    The pro-life coalition relies on support of Roman Catholics and Lutherans who tend to be more likely to oppose capital punishment than those of the evangelical Protestants most associated with the South, like Baptists and Methodists. Supporting abolition is not a career-killer for Republicans in purple states, whereas for Democrats it is nearly mandatory to avoid a serious primary challenge.

Don’t forget about Missouri, They executed Walter Barton during the pandemic and Ernest Johnson should be denied cert soon. Florida could also execute if DeSantis wasn’t being a tithead
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Quote Originally Posted by Steven AB View Post
    JLR + Neil = DPIC

Who want to believe this trick?:

If you have a badly enforced death penalty, it don’t fulfill its purpose. If you have a well enforced death penalty, you have frequent miscarriages of justice.

Both claims are indeed grounded on anecdotes and abusive generalizations.

As for Covid it is not an excuse it can be a serious problem. But it will not be eternal.
    I didn't say that and it wasn't the argument I was trying to make. My point was that If you didn't have several layers of appeals and just automatically executed inmates after a direct appeal, you would end up executing innocent people. I gave several examples of inmates who were denied multiple times in the courts before correctly winning relief. A "well enforced death penalty" would have have an effective appeals system with several layers of oversight because if something is efficient and well enforced then it doesn't make mistakes.

So again another month of stays. I don't believe any state will execute ever again. I'm starting to believe that dates are being requested to justify expanded budgets for capital trials at this point.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

We have now reached the point that outside Smith we have zero serious execution dates scheduled.

Lowest the DP has been since Furman.

Yeah and no, Texas and OK aren't getting back on the high horse the courts exist.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I've held off on endorsing your grim prognosis, but yes, the death knell has sounded. It's basically over. It's dead. After tomorrow there won't be a single serious date except maybe the 2022 Texas ones pending resolution of the Ramirez case. It's dead. We'll see a few more executions here and there but that's it.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I said the same thing a couple of days ago on one of Oklahoma’s thread that Mike did. I said that this was the first time that executions dropped below double digits since the 80s. The drop in executions this year is a trend we’ve seen in the last decade. From the mid 40s at the start of 2010, to the pitiful token executions of just 8 this year. We haven’t had 100 death sentences since 2010. The death sentences haven’t even been at 50 since 2014. The major drop in executions and death sentences we’ve seen since 2010 is definitely a signal it’s on its way out. 8 States since 2010 have eliminated the practice with Utah being the next prospect next year.
    Last edited by Neil; 10-20-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I've held off on endorsing your grim prognosis, but yes, the death knell has sounded. It's basically over. It's dead. After tomorrow there won't be a single serious date except maybe the 2022 Texas ones pending resolution of the Ramirez case. It's dead. We'll see a few more executions here and there but that's it.
    So John Ramirez, Patrick Murphy, Ruben Gutierrez, Steven Barbee, Fabian Hernandez, Kosoul Chanthakoummane, Ramiro Gonzales, Michael Gonzales, Wesley Ruiz, Victor Saldano, Charles Flores, Carlos Trevino, Tracy Beatty?

Maybe Melissa Lucio, Rigoberto Avila, David Renteria, Carl Buntion, Faryion Wardrip, Joe Luna, Anibal Canales, Jamaal Howard, Richard Vasquez, John Balentine, William Speer, Jedidiah Murphy, Andre Thomas, James Broadnax, Raul Cortez, Gary F Green?

Possibly Billy Tracy?
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Texas won’t even execute a quarter of that next year the heyday of them executing over 20 inmates per year is long gone. The 2000s were the best years for the death penalty there. 2016 started a trend in Texas. That was the year they started just having a handful of executions per year.

Their dwindling death row population as well as the rise of DAs like Kim Ogg and the Texas legislature’s increasing hostility against it are signs they’ll shed the death penalty there too.

Virginia’s abolition of the death penalty started a slow process for the southern states to eventually end the death penalty.
    Last edited by Neil; 10-20-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information