Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Endgame: The End of the Death Penalty

The trend that started in 2010 is only getting stronger and stronger with each passing year. 2010 was the last strong year for the death penalty and 2014 was the last year it remotely had any strength because 2014 was the last time death row was over 3000 and it was the last time sentences were over 50. Now, death row has essentially dropped towards 2000.
    Last edited by Neil; 10-20-2021 at 01:45 PM.

I didn’t mean all next year Neil. I was referring to serious execution dates in the future
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

We've again reached another low point where the DA's themselves in the former death penalty capital of the US are now sabotaging efforts to allow executions to be carried out. Really looking like 3 to 4 years again before complete stoppage of executions with just a few states emptying their rows.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Not to mention we’re on track to match or just beat last years pathetic token execution total. We’re at 3 executions this year we were at that total at the same point in time last year.

With Tennesse officially announcing the end of their death row we are now down to five states where there is a chance an execution will occur. AZ is lingering on an election so that won't last, and MO has sentenced two people to death in the past 12 years.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    I don't think that your depiction of what happened in Tennessee reflects the actual reality of things. Tennessee hasn't "officially announced the end of their death row". No blanket pardon whatsoever has occurred. There is an investigation, which unfortunately will stop executions for this year and maybe the following, but I can't see how we should read this as "the death of death penalty in Tennessee". Remember what happened in Oklahoma with Lockett and Glossip? Well, some years have passed, and now we are on the verge of witnessing 25 executions in a row there.

Not to mention I wouldn't call time of death on GA, FL, or AR just yet but we'll see.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Of the three Aaron mentioned above I kind of agree that I wouldn’t write off Georgia but only if they somehow abandon that 3 month wait time between executions. I mean how in the hell did the attorney general make that ridiculous concession?

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    If juries are not issuing sentences like they did in the 90s it’s not going to matter who controls which state unfortunately.

This year could have been great. We'd be at 20 right now were it not for AL and TN screwing themselves. Sigh.

A whopping three states will execute next year - Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri. We've lost Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia to their stupidity and Arizona to the stupidity of its voters. The cruel irony is we might get close to 20 with those three states. More teasing about what should have been.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information