Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Ford Sentenced to LWOP in 2020 TX Murder of Melissa Banda

New trial date scheduled for 1/29/24

Jury selection scheduled for 1/26/24

https://pa.co.hidalgo.tx.us/CaseDeta...CaseID=4176445
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

July selection rescheduled to 2/23/24, after a final pre trial hearing on 2/21/24

https://pa.co.hidalgo.tx.us/CaseDeta...CaseID=4176445

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Week one of Richard Ford murder trial wraps up

More than 200 pieces of evidence were presented to jurors during the first week of the capital murder trial against Richard Ford.

Ford is accused of kidnapping and killing his ex-wife — Melissa Banda — in Aug. 2020.

Thursday was the last day of the first week of the trial. On that day, jurors were presented with 65 pieces of evidence that prosecutors say links Ford to Banda’s murder.

Jurors watched surveillance video showing Ford's personal vehicle in the La Plaza Mall’s parking garage. An SUV is seen leaving not long after.

Prosecutors said Ford was renting that SUV that was later used in Banda’s kidnapping.

An employee at that rental company testified the car had been rented to Ford the day of the kidnapping.

The jury also saw what officials found in Ford's personal truck. The items included a roll of duct tape, and cartridges of carbon dioxide in the truck's console.

In the cupholders were an open container of BB pellets.

On Tuesday, the doctor who performed Banda's autopsy told the jury Banda had a “BB-like wound” on her forearm, and a BB pellet inside a cut on her throat.

The day ended with Banda's family visibly emotional as prosecutors showed evidence from a scene in Donna where her body was found dumped.

Photos of Banda's body were shown to jurors.

Ford appeared to have no reaction.

Banda’s family held onto each other in tears as they heard the details of how Banda's body was found covered in dirt.

The trial will continue next week.

https://www.krgv.com/videos/week-one...trial-wraps-up

Richard Ford found guilty of capital murder in death of ex-wife

By: Lily Celeste

A Hidalgo County jury found Richard Ford guilty of capital murder in the death of his ex-wife.

Ford was accused of kidnapping and killing his ex-wife, Melissa Banda, in 2020.

Jurors deliberated for about two hours Wednesday.

https://www.krgv.com/news/richard-fo...ath-of-ex-wife

Richard Ford sentenced to life without parole for murder of ex-wife

Alejandra Yañez and Steven Masso

McALLEN, Texas (ValleyCentral) — The court sentenced Richard Ford to life without parole for the capital murder of his ex-wife.

Sentencing was held Thursday morning, and was appealed by Ford’s defense team.

On Wednesday, Ford was found guilty by jury of kidnapping and murdering Melissa Banda in 2020. He was tried in the 206th District Court.

On Aug. 6, 2020, police responded responded to a disturbance where they were notified that Ford forced Banda into his vehicle. The next day, Ford was arrested near Beach Access 5 on South Padre Island.

Later that night, authorities found Banda’s body in a rural area of Hidalgo County.

An autopsy determined that Banda died from a laceration to her neck. The indictment charged Ford with cutting Banda’s neck with a knife, as well as impeding her breath by blocking her nose and mouth.

Ford was taken into custody and his bond was initially set at $4.5 million.

On Nov. 8, 2021, the State announced it would not be seeking the death penalty.

ValleyCentral reported that Banda’s family filed a lawsuit in federal court against the City of McAllen. In the lawsuit, which was filed by her sister, her family claims that McAllen PD failed to respond to numerous complaints Banda made in reference to Ford violating protective orders.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/r...t-paraole/amp/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information