Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Ford Sentenced to LWOP in 2020 TX Murder of Melissa Banda

Richard Ford Sentenced to LWOP in 2020 TX Murder of Melissa Banda

Melissa Banda

Richard Ford

February 8, 2021
    McAllen man indicted on capital murder charge after ex-wife's death

A McAllen man accused of kidnapping and killing his ex-wife last August has been indicted by a grand jury.

Richard Ford faces a charge of capital murder by terror threat, a capital felony.

Ford is accused of killing 37-year-old Melissa Banda on August 6 of last year, after he allegedly forced her into a car from her home in McAllen. Authorities found her body in rural Hidalgo County.

In a press conference in August, Sheriff Eddie Guerra said Banda died of a laceration to her throat.

Ford remains behind bars with a $4.5 million bond.

https://www.krgv.com/news/mcallen-ma...x-wife-s-death
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 06-30-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Ex-husband indicted in Melissa Banda murder case pleads not guilty

March 3, 2021

A 41-year-old McAllen man pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning to an indictment accusing him of kidnapping and murdering his ex-wife, Melissa Banda, last August.

Richard Ford is charged with capital murder by terror threat, assaulting a family member (impeding breath), violation of a protective order (assault/stalk) and stalking.

McAllen police and the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office allege Ford murdered 37-year-old Melissa Banda on Aug. 6, 2020.

According to authorities, Ford forced Banda into the back seat of a Dodge Journey at 3:49 p.m. outside her home in the 7100 block of North Seventh Street.

A nanny inside the home witnessed the abduction and called police, McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said at a news conference after Ford’s arrest.

That alleged incited was caught on home surveillance video, according to a probable cause affidavit.

“The video showed that as soon as Ms. Banda arrived at the home, Mr. Ford approached her from behind and grabbed her and covered her mouth. Ms. Banda began to kick and scream and Mr. Ford continued to wrestle with her until he got to the Dodge Journey. Mr. Ford is seen shoving Ms. Banda into the backseat and then he gets into the driver seat,” the affidavit stated.

She was never seen alive again and less than 36 hours later, sheriff’s investigators discovered her body in a rural area north of Donna.

Authorities believe that is where Ford killed Banda by cutting her throat with a knife less than an hour after she was kidnapped, Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra said at the time.

Police arrested Ford on Aug. 8 at South Padre Island.

Rodriguez, the McAllen chief, said investigators believe Ford went to the Island in an attempt to misdirect authorities.

“I’m going to suggest to you that a lot of the things which will ultimately be revealed in the investigation and prosecution of this case are planning by him. A lot of it involved planning on his part and we think the ultimate trip to South Padre Island was part of that planning process; theoretically, we think to misdirect us,” Rodriguez said.

He remains jailed on $4.5 million in bonds.

https://myrgv.com/local-news/2021/03...ds-not-guilty/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

State deciding if death penalty will be on the table for McAllen murder suspect

MCALLEN, Texas (KVEO) — A date has been set for the State to decide whether or not they will seek the death penalty against a McAllen man accused of killing his ex-wife.

On Thursday, August 6, 2020, police responded to a call regarding a home disturbance. Upon arrival, authorities were notified that Richard Ford, 40, had forced his ex-wife, Melissa Banda, into his vehicle.

On Friday August 7, Banda was reported missing and authorities identified Ford as a suspect.

That same day, Ford was arrested near Beach Access 5 on South Padre Island for two active warrants for violating a court order to not make contact with Banda and harassment.

Later that night, Banda’s body was found in rural Hidalgo County. Following an autopsy, it was determined that Banda died from a laceration on her neck caused by a sharp object.

After reviewing evidence, officials obtained a warrant for Ford’s arrest for capital murder. Which was not the first time he faced murder-related charges.

Ford has remained behind bars since the arrest with a $4.5 million bond. In February 2021, Ford was indicted by a grand jury for capital murder charges.

In March, Ford pleaded not guilty to all counts, and the court ordered a no-contact order between Ford and the victim’s family members, according to official documents.

On Wednesday, the pre-trial hearing date was set for November 8, court records show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.val...r-suspect/amp/

State will not seek death penalty against McAllen man

by: Jesse Mendez

EDINBURG, Texas (ValleyCentral) — On Monday the State of Texas announced they will not seek the death penalty against Richard Ford.

Ford was present with his attorneys via Zoom on Monday morning and a pre-trial is set for Jan. 19, 2022.

Ford is accused of killing his ex-wife Melissa Banda in August 2020. He has remained behind bars since his arrest.

On Thursday, August 6, 2020, police responded to a call regarding a home disturbance. Upon arrival, authorities were notified that Richard Ford, 40, had forced his ex-wife, Melissa Banda, into his vehicle.

On Friday, August 7, Banda was reported missing and authorities identified Ford as a suspect.

That same day, Ford was arrested near Beach Access 5 on South Padre Island for two active warrants for violating a court order to not make contact with Banda and harassment.

In March, Ford pleaded not guilty to all counts, and the court ordered a no-contact order between Ford and Melissa Banda’s family members, according to official documents.

Ford is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 1, 2022.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/l...t-mcallen-man/

Man accused of murdering McAllen woman recommended life sentence

By Nathaniel Puente
    Valley Central News

MCALLEN (ValleyCentral) — State prosecutors are recommending that a McAllen man accused of murdering a woman serve in prison for life if he’s convicted of the crime.

On Wednesday, prosecutors announced their recommendation that Richard Ford, 42, spend the rest of his life in jail for the murder of Melissa Banda, 37, that he is accused of committing in August 2020. Prosecutors chose not to seek the death penalty against Ford in November 2021.

According to police, Banda was found dead on Aug. 7, 2020, a day after she was reported to have been forcefully taken from her home by Ford. He was arrested a few days later and charged with murder, assault, stalking, and violating a restraining order. The latter three charges were from two separate incidents.

Medical professionals determined that Banda died from a laceration on her neck caused by a sharped object. After reviewing witness statements, physical evidence, video surveillance evidence, and GPS coordinates, officials were able to obtain a warrant for Ford’s arrest for capital murder.

Ford pleaded not guilty to all of the charges and remains jailed on a $4.5 million bond. He was previously convicted of attempting to murder someone in a 2001 incident. He faced eight years of deferred adjudication for that crime.

The next motion in the litigation is a pre-trial hearing scheduled for April 20.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/l...life-sentence/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Suspect in 2020 McAllen murder rejects plea deal

By KRGV News

The case of the man accused of kidnapping and killing his ex-wife will go to trial in the fall.

Richard Ford rejected a plea deal Friday that said he would receive a life sentence if he pled guilty to the charge of capital murder.

Ford is accused of kidnapping Melissa Banda from her McAllen home and then dumping her body in a rural area near Donna on August 2020.

Ford’s trial is scheduled to begin November 11.

https://www.krgv.com/videos/suspect-...ects-plea-deal
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder trial for McAllen man accused of killing ex-wife delayed

By KRGV News

The murder trial for a McAllen man charged in connection with the death of his ex-wife was delayed until June.

Richard Ford is charged with the capital murder of ex-wife Melissa Banda, who died on August 2020.

Ford is accused of kidnapping her from her McAllen home and then dumping her body near Donna.

Ford rejected a plea deal last year that would've given him life in prison. He now faces the death penalty if convicted.

The trial was scheduled to begin next week, but Ford’s lawyers said they needed more time to prepare.

Ford's trial is now set to begin on Monday, June 12.

https://www.krgv.com/news/capital-mu...x-wife-delayed

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Ford’s trial which was set to begin today was cancelled for unknown reasons on June 9.

Ford has a status conference set for June 14 to confirm the trial settings

https://pa.co.hidalgo.tx.us/CaseDeta...CaseID=4176445

Ford’s new trial date is scheduled for September 18, 2023

Jury selection begins September 15, 2023

https://pa.co.hidalgo.tx.us/CaseDeta...CaseID=4176445

Related:

McAllen police called 9 times before Melissa Banda was kidnapped, killed

A new lawsuit claims police 'did almost nothing' to help

By Steven Santana
    MySA

The family of a McAllen woman is suing the city and its police department in a lawsuit alleging she called law enforcement multiple times on her ex-husband before she was later found dead. The lawsuit against McAllen claims that Melissa Banda called nine times and that the police "did almost nothing" to protect her from her ex-husband and alleged killer, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

The lawsuit, filed by Banda's sister on October 5 in Hidalgo County, claims Banda made calls to police about her ex-husband, Richard Ford Jr., between November 21, 2019, and August 5, 2020, soon after she filed for divorce. One call in February 2020 says Banda reported to police that Ford assaulted her.

The divorce was finalized in April 2020, but Ford filed a motion to change the decree. After a hearing on the change on August 6, 2020, Ford showed up to Banda's home and kidnapped her. The lawsuit claims Banda's nanny, who watched her three kids, witnessed Ford pull Banda into his SUV kicking and screaming.

Ford was arrested the next day and Banda's body was found another day later on the side of a road with a slit throat. Ford was charged with capital murder by terroristic threat.

The lawsuit claims that the McAllen "has a policy or custom of treating domestic violence cases involving women and/or Hispanic women less seriously than other types of assault cases." Banda's sister seeks "compensatory damages" and attorney's fees. McAllen is a border town located in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-18419531.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information