Thread: David Joshua Reed Sentenced to 2 Life Terms with the Chance of Parole In 2020 TX Murders of Shelby Duarte and Timothy Nelson

David Joshua Reed Sentenced to 2 Life Terms with the Chance of Parole In 2020 TX Murders of Shelby Duarte and Timothy Nelson

515EB680-EC35-4318-90CF-A3786F859109.jpeg
    David Reed

Lindale man indicted on capital murder for wreck that killed ex-girlfriend, other man

A Lindale man was indicted earlier this month on a capital murder of multiple persons charge in connection with the deaths of his ex-girlfriend and another man in December.

A Smith County grand jury handed down an indictment for David Joshua Reed, 40, on Feb. 4. He has been in the Smith County Jail since Dec. 9 on a $1 million bond.

Reed admitted to using his pickup truck to destroy the camper trailer where his ex-girlfriend, Shelby Duarte, 23, of Edgewood, and another man, Timothy Nelson, 43, of Lindale, lived in the 19000 block of County Road 431 (Jim Hogg Road) at around 1 a.m. Dec. 9.

Nelson died at the scene and Duarte later died at a hospital.

Police documents state Reed's friends said he was upset over Duarte possibly being pregnant.

The arrest warrant affidavit said Reed left a voicemail on Duarte's phone saying, "You reap what you sow, I will see you in hell,” before he crashed his truck into the camper trailer.

On Dec. 9, the Texas Department of Public Safety, who responded to the initial call as a traffic accident, learned the pickup belonged to Reed. Investigators found his cell phone in the vehicle and four propane tanks, which officers found suspicious for a single cab truck.

Through further investigation, police learned Reed is a suspect in several cases against Duarte, including aggravated kidnapping at the beginning of this year and assault from last month, according to the affidavit.

Reed’s friends said he was “distraught” in the last couple of days because Duarte was “possibly pregnant,” the affidavit stated. Nelson’s family told police they didn’t want Duarte moving in with Nelson “due to her being and bringing problems.”

In his interview with the Smith County Sheriff’s Office, Reed admitted to driving into the camper trailer and he intended to cause harm or death to Duarte and Nelson. He said Duarte told him she was pregnant, and Reed added Duarte would tell him she wanted to be with him but stayed with Nelson.

Two hours before the trailer-truck collision, Reed said he was texting Duarte and then Nelson started sending messages. Reed got angry and he later told police he made the choice to go to Nelson's residence with the intention to kill Duarte and Nelson, the affidavit explained.

Reed also told law enforcement he wanted to kill himself as well, and he had the propane bottles believing the crash would “blow him up.”

He drove by Nelson’s residence at first and later parked a few blocks down the road to send Duarte the threatening voicemail. Reed told a sheriff’s deputy he started to drive toward the camper at a high speed, while opening a propane tank, according to the document.

Reed said, “he did not care anymore and also knew he would be killing his unborn child,” the affidavit read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tylerpa...0818c.amp.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Man accused of killing ex-girlfriend, other man with truck won't get death penalty

David Joshua Reed, 41, is charged with capital murder of multiple people

By Zak Wellerman
    Tyler Morning Telegraph

SMITH COUNTY, Texas — A Lindale man accused of using his pickup truck to kill his ex-girlfriend and another man last December will not face the death penalty.

David Joshua Reed, 41, is charged with capital murder of multiple people charge. He has been in the Smith County Jail since Dec. 9, 2020 on a $1 million bond.

Reed admitted to using his pickup truck to destroy the camper trailer where his ex-girlfriend, Shelby Duarte, 23, of Edgewood, and another man, Timothy Nelson, 43, of Lindale, lived in the 19000 block of County Road 431 (Jim Hogg Road) at around 1 a.m. Dec. 9, 2020. Nelson died at the scene and Duarte later died at a hospital.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/cr...2-ac746ac24581
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

‘I have to forgive you because I don’t want that poison;’ Lindale man pleads guilty to killing two people in 2020

By Nahum Lopez
    KLTV News

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - A Lindale man pleaded guilty to killing two people in December 2020.

As you arrive at the 241st District Court led by Judge Jack Skeen, Jr., you could see the wave of pink, blue and turquoise T-shirts worn by the family members of Shelby Duarte, a 23-year-old woman from Edgewood, who was killed alongside Timothy Nelson, a 43-year-old man from Lindale.

David Joshua Reed, 41, of Lindale, was arrested for the killings of Duarte and Nelson when Reed ran his truck off the roadway and intentionally crashed into the trailer the couple was living in.

Reed pleaded guilty to two lesser felony charges of murder through a plea agreement. The original charge was capital murder. Reed will face two sentences of life in prison to run concurrently.

Reed will have to serve a mandatory 30-year sentence day for day due to a confirmative finding of “Use of a Deadly Weapon” by the court.

The tension was thick in the courtroom and filled with emotion as the state called the families of Duarte and Nelson to the stand for Victim impact statements.

”David, I have waited for this day for a long time, and I don’t believe you deserve a plea agreement. I don’t think you are capable of understanding because you are a sadistic monster with no heart or soul, do you realize what you have done to us?”, said Mistie Tidwell, sister of Timothy Nelson.

After Tidwell stepped down from the stand, the brother of Duarte, Joseph Eisenhower, was called to make his statement.

”David, you’re a coward and you don’t deserve a plea bargain. You deserve everything that is coming to you. I can’t say what I want, but the hole you put in our family; you’re worthless and evil. In these 30 years you got, there’s nothing I can say but I pray you don’t make it out of those walls.”, Eisenhower said.

After Eisenhower gave his statement, Shirley Thompson, the estranged sister of Duarte, took the stand.

”David, you never meet me. I was her sister. I was her big sister we were estranged for a while, but we’d gotten over it,” Thompson said.

“In the last few months that you took her, she didn’t even have a chance to live her life. When I leave this courtroom, I have to go to work to feed my family, I’ve got five kids and a husband of 10 years, something she will never get to do because you coward, selfish 40-year-old grown man took that from her. She will never be able to do that, and there’s nothing we can do to bring her back.”

After Thompson’s statement, the crowd began to get emotional, and another brother of Duarte was called to give his statement. In the process of getting up, the brother became very emotional and distressed, and he began screaming and yelling that Reed didn’t deserve a plea bargain.

Duarte’s brother yelled that Reed deserved the death penalty instead. At that moment, the sheriff’s deputies and other officials began to approach him and other family members to calm them down and remove him from the courtroom.

Shortly after that, Tabitha Hall, Duarte’s niece was called to the stand to make her victim impact statement.

”I’m Tabitha Hall, I’ve never met you either, David, but I am the daddy that you ask about I am his sister, so I am Shelby’s niece, and I want you to know for myself I have to forgive you because I don’t want that poison that you have to come into me, so if I don’t forgive you today, that’s what will happen. Because of your impulsive act of pure rage and evil and stupidity, you took two lives from us, but you didn’t take them from us because they live forever in eternity,” Hall said.

https://www.kltv.com/2021/10/01/i-ha...o-people-2020/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information