Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Patrick Hancock Sentenced to LWOP in 2019 AL Murder of Randy Young

Bryan Patrick Hancock Sentenced to LWOP in 2019 AL Murder of Randy Young

53030472-167C-4431-9E5E-C87D56E28E07.jpeg
    Randy Young

A247470B-0EEC-4AE2-9AAE-0338CF721653.jpg
    Bryan Hancock

Man shot outside Cracker Barrel dies; suspect’s father says shooting was no hate crime
    April 1, 2019

A man shot during a dispute in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel has died.

Randy Young, 40, was pronounced dead at UAB Hospital at 11:30 p.m. Saturday, according to a spokesman for his family. They expect to release additional information, possibly as early as Monday.

The shooting happened shortly before 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the restaurant on Norrell Drive. Trussville police dispatched to the scene found Young on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head.

Witnesses told police the suspects were on the scene. Those two men were located in the parking lot and taken into custody. Bryan Patrick Hancock, 22, was charged Friday with attempted murder.

Trussville police Chief Eric Rush said the shooting stemmed from a dispute in the parking lot. It began, he said, when the two suspects parked in a manner that blocked in the victim’s vehicle. “An argument ensued, and it escalated to the point that the victim was shot by one of the suspects,’’ Rush said.

Young was at the restaurant with his stepfather. His brother, Brandon Young, told the Trussville Tribune that their stepfather was outside when a car pulled up at an angle, blocking the exit.

The driver exited the vehicle and went into the restaurant, leaving the passenger – Hancock - in the car. As Randy Young exited the restaurant, he told the publication, Hancock used a racial slur toward him. The situation escalated quickly, and Randy Young was shot.

Hancock remains in the Jefferson County Jail on $150,000 bond. The police chief on Sunday said investigators on Monday will seek to upgrade the charge against him to murder.

The suspect’s stepfather, who is black, on Sunday defended his son and said the shooting was in no way a “hate crime.”

“It’s absolutely not that,’’ said Steven Chatman. “I’ve been his father since he was 8 years old and he’s not a racist. There’s nothing about him that is racist.”

Chatman said he would be shocked to learn that his son used a racial slur, and not a more accepted version of the same word. “He would not disrespect me like that,’’ he said. “I would say he grew up around 60 percent black people and 40 percent white people.”

Chatman said he is saddened by the entire situation. “I truly sympathize with his (Randy Young) family. No one wants to have a death in their family,’’ he said. “I know him. He was my neighbor 20 years ago.”

“But this was completely a self-defense situation and the truth will come out,’’ he said. “Anybody who knows Bryan knows he has never been violent. Everybody is in shock behind this.”

“I think once the DA and judge get to see the actual evidence, they will know that it was not a racial incident and my son was acting in self-defense,’’ he said. “The truth will come. I stand behind my son 100 percent. I’m not going to have his name ruined behind something like this.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al....outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Charges upgraded against man accused in shooting outside of the Cracker Barrel in Trussville
    April 1, 2019

TRUSSVILLE, AL (WBRC) - Charges have been upgraded against the man who is accused of shooting another man at the Trussville Cracker Barrel last Thursday.
    Chief Eric Rush says Bryan Patrick Hancock is now charged with capital murder. Family members say the victim, 40-year-old Randy Young died Saturday night.
    Young’s family said Saturday he had a “low” chance of survived, adding they were “praying for a miracle” after they say he shot in the head at point-blank range outside Cracker Barrel.
    Hancock, 22, of Pinson, was taken into custody Friday and charged with attempted murder.

Around 9:22 p.m. Thursday, Trussville Police were called to the Cracker Barrel located on Norrell Drive after reports of a shooting in the parking lot in front of the restaurant.
    When officers arrived, they found a man on the ground suffering a gunshot wound to the head.
    Police say witnesses told them the suspects were still at the scene. The two suspects were taken into custody for questioning.

After an investigation, police say it was determined the incident began after one of the suspects parked a vehicle blocking in the victim’s vehicle.

An argument began then escalated and ended with the victim being shot in the head by one of the suspects.
    Hancock is in the Jefferson County Jail without bond.
    If you have any additional details about the case, you’re asked to contact the Trussville Police at 205-655-2101.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbr...outputType=amp

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Attorneys for deadly Trussville shooting say video of incident exist
    April 4, 2019

An attorney for a Trussville capital murder suspect says there appears to be video of the March 28th shooting outside a Cracker Barrel.

The suspect, 22-year-old Bryan Patrick Hancock, remains in the Jefferson County Jail after his arrest for Randy Young's shooting death.

Attorneys Richard Jeffe and Michael Hanle represent Hancock and they say video may be his best defense.

"We expect to demonstrate that Bryan shot in self-defense to protect himself from an imminent and ongoing attack," the attorneys said in a statement released to ABC 33/40.

The statement went on to say "Bryan is absolutely devastated over this tragedy and feels very deeply for the deceased and his family."

The funeral for Randy Young will be held Friday afternoon at Living Stones Temple in Birmingham.

Hancock's next court date has not yet been set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc3340...incident-exist

Trussville Cracker Barrel Shooting Suspect Requests Release
    May 21, 2019

BIRMINGHAM, AL - The suspect in a shooting at the Trussville Cracker Barrel in MArch has requested a release from Jail. Bryan Patrick Hancock, accused of shooting and killing Randy Young March 28, had his attorneys file for the release after a delay in his preliminary hearing.

According to court documents, a Hancock "has the right to a preliminary hearing within 21 days of requesting one." After a request was filed on April 10, 2019, the court scheduled a preliminary hearing for May 30, 2019, which is well out of the 21-day window. A report by the Trussville Tribune said the motion seeking immediate release also states the court has not provided a reason for a delay or responded to a bond reduction request, as required by law.

The shooting happened shortly before 9:30 p.m. March 28 at the restaurant on Norrell Drive. Trussville police dispatched to the scene found Young on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head.

Trussville police Chief Eric Rush said the shooting stemmed from a dispute in the parking lot. It began, he said, when two men parked in a manner that blocked in the victim's vehicle. "An argument ensued, and it escalated to the point that the victim was shot by one of the suspects,'' Rush said.

The driver exited the vehicle and went into the restaurant, leaving the passenger – Hancock - in the car. As Young exited the restaurant, Hancock reportedly used a racial slur toward him. The situation escalated quickly, and Young was shot. He was pronounced dead two days later.

Hancock was charged April 1 with capital murder, and could face the death penalty if convicted.

https://patch.com/alabama/trussville...quests-release

Trial For Cracker Barrel Shooting Suspect Delayed Again
    October 1, 2020

TRUSSVILLE, AL — The murder trial of a man charged in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred at in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel has been delayed yet again.

Previously scheduled to stand trial Nov. 30, the trial of Bryan Hancock, 23, for the 2019 murder of Randy Young has now been scheduled for Monday, April 19, 2021, according to the Trussville Tribune. This is the fourth time the trial has been pushed back.

Hancock is accused of shooting and killing Young following a verbal dispute in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel on March 28, 2019.

When Trussville arrived on the scene, they said they found Young on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head.

Prior to shots being fired, Trussville Police Chief Eric Rush said two men parked in a manner that blocked in the victim's vehicle.

"An argument ensued, and it escalated to the point that the victim was shot by one of the suspects," Rush said.

Hancock's attorneys maintain that the shooting was in self-defense.

If convicted, Hancock could face the death penalty.

https://patch.com/alabama/trussville...-delayed-again

Edited:

Trussville Cracker Barrel parking lot murder trial rescheduled

By Erica Thomas
    Trussville Tribune

TRUSSVILLE — The capital murder trial of a man accused of shooting another man in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel has been reset for the fifth time. The trial is now scheduled for Monday, June 28, 2021.

Bryan Hancock, 23, is charged with capital murder in the March 28, 2019, death of Randy Dewayne Young. The trial was supposed to begin on Monday, April 19, but it was rescheduled Monday morning.

A Jefferson County judge denied Hancock immunity under the state’s Stand Your Ground Law after a hearing on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. Circuit Judge Clyde Jones said Bryan Hancock was not justified under that law to shoot and kill Randy Young.

Hancock is currently awaiting trial in the Jefferson County Jail. He is considered innocent until proven guilty.

https://www.trussvilletribune.com/20...l-rescheduled/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Trussville Cracker Barrel parking lot murder trial just over a week away

TRUSSVILLE — The capital murder trial of a man accused of shooting another man in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel is set for Monday, June 28, 2021. The trial date has been moved back several times due to witness unavailability and COVID-19.

Bryan Hancock, 23, is charged with capital murder in the March 28, 2019, death of Randy Dewayne Young. The trial was supposed to begin on Monday, April 19, but it was rescheduled Monday morning.

Young was shot in the head in the parking lot of the restaurant after a dispute over parking, according to both parties. Young died after being on life support for two days.

Hancock’s attorneys claim the shooting was in self-defense. Attorney Richard S. Jaffe, with Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C., said his client had no intention of harming anyone.

“As is often the case, once a full and fair hearing occurs, another side emerges as it did in this case,” Jaffe said. “As I said even before the release of the video, Bryan acted in self-defense. While sitting in the passenger seat of his friend’s truck, the deceased began to strike him in the face, and this is supported by eye witness testimony.”

There is a surveillance video from the restaurant showing the moment the shooting happened. Although the video shows the victim and the suspect, the video is of poor quality.

Hancock was indicted by a grand jury on Oct. 11, 2019. According to court documents, the grand jury charged that Hancock intentionally caused the death of Young by shooting him with a pistol from a vehicle.

A Jefferson County judge denied Hancock immunity under the state’s Stand Your Ground Law after a hearing on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. Circuit Judge Clyde Jones said Bryan Hancock was not justified under that law to shoot and kill Randy Young.

Over the past couple of weeks, subpoenas have been served for trial and jury instructions are now being reviewed. The trial is set to begin at 9 a.m. at the Jefferson County Courthouse in Birmingham.

Hancock is currently awaiting trial in the Jefferson County Jail. He is considered innocent until proven guilty.

https://www.trussvilletribune.com/20...r-a-week-away/

Capital murder trial underway: Opening statements in Cracker Barrel parking lot shooting case

TRUSSVILLE — The capital murder trial of a man accused of shooting another man in the parking lot of the Trussville Cracker Barrel officially underway. Jury selection wrapped up Tuesday morning and opening statements began.

Judge Clyde Jones instructed the jury, which consists of three black men, six white men, three black women, and two white women.

In the courtroom, at least six people sat in support of defendant Bryan Hancock and nine family members of victim Randy Young were in attendance.

Hancock, 23, is charged with capital murder in the March 28, 2019, death of Young.

Tuesday, Judge Jones explained the capital murder charge and the four things the state must prove. Those four things are: That Randy Young is dead, that Hancock caused the death of Young by firing a weapon, that Hancock was in a vehicle when he fired a shot, and that in committing the act that caused the death, Hancock intended to kill Young.

Young was shot in the head in the parking lot of the restaurant after a dispute over parking, according to both parties. Young died after being on life support for two days.

In opening statements, the prosecution called the death unnecessary, unreasonable, and unjustified. They said the victim was called “the N-word” by the defendant, which caused him to get upset. They said Young punched Hancock in the face while Hancock was sitting in the truck. Hancock, they claim, responded by shooting Young.

Hancock’s attorneys claim the shooting was in self-defense. The entire incident happened within two minutes and 55 seconds. The defense said Hancock had no “real and specific intent to kill” as the law states. The defense claims Young was threatening to “kick Hancock’s ass.” They admitted there is evidence Hancock had taken two-milligram Xanex bars throughout the afternoon, and that he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day. The defense also said that Young’s stepfather, who was at the restaurant during the shooting, did not witness details leading up to the shooting. Defense attorney Michael Hanle said Hancock fully denies ever using the N-word.

There is a surveillance video from the restaurant showing the moment the shooting happened. Although the video shows the victim and the suspect, the video is of poor quality due to a glare.

Hancock was indicted by a grand jury on Oct. 11, 2019. According to court documents, the grand jury charged that Hancock intentionally caused the death of Young by shooting him with a pistol from a vehicle.

The trial is being held at the Jefferson County Courthouse in Birmingham.

Hancock is considered innocent until proven guilty.

https://www.trussvilletribune.com/20...shooting-case/

Capital murder suspect used racial slur before shooting over Trussville Cracker Barrel parking space, claims self defense

The stepfather of a man slain in the parking of Trussville’s Cracker Barrel two years ago on Tuesday recounted the moments leading up to the death of his stepson.

It began with a dispute over a bad parking job that blocked in Randy “DeWayne Young,” 40, and his stepfather Robert Lee Shepard, now 69.

It ended with alleged racial slurs and a bullet to Young’s forehead which would lead to his death just two days later.

“All I could see was the fire coming from the barrel of the gun which was only about an inch or two from my son’s head,” Shepard said. “I said, ‘I know you didn’t shoot my son.’ He just stared.”

Shepard’s recounting of the events that took place that night, March 28, 2019, came on the first day of testimony in the capital murder trial against Bryan Patrick Hancock, now 24.

The shooting happened shortly before 9:30 p.m. that Thursday night at the restaurant on Norrell Drive.

The entire ordeal lasted only two minutes and 55 seconds, and Young was officially pronounced dead the following Saturday at UAB Hospital. The shooting was captured on video and is expected to be shown in court.

Jury selection began Monday in the courtroom of Circuit Judge Clyde Jones.

It concluded Tuesday morning with the seating of a jury of three Black men, six white men, three Black women and two white women. Two of those jurors serve as alternates.

The case is being tried by Jefferson County deputy district attorneys Deborah Danneman and Shawn Allen. Attorneys Michael Hanle and Brett Knight are defending Hancock.

Family members of both Young and Hancock were in court Tuesday.

In opening statements, Danneman called Young’s death unnecessary, unreasonable and unjustified.

Defense attorneys, however, claim the deadly shooting was self-defense. The judge earlier this year denied Hancock immunity under Alabama’s Stand Your Ground Law.

Testimony on Tuesday showed that Young had been at the home of his mother and stepfather helping to install tile flooring that night, and Young and Shepard later decided to grab dinner at Cracker Barrel.

When they finished, Shepard stepped outside of the restaurant to smoke a cigarette while Young stayed inside to order food to take home to his mother, Monica Young Shephard.

While Shepard was outside smoking, a black truck pulled up next to his Mitsubishi Gallant, parking so close and at an angle that Shepard would not have been able to get out of the parking space.

“It more or less blocked me in,’' Shepard said. “I couldn’t go forward or backward.”

The driver, Matt Jeffers, exited the truck and was heading into the restaurant when Shepard said he spoke to Jeffers, noting that he had parked extremely close to his vehicle.

Jeffers told Shepard he had a bad day, and then asked Shepard for a cigarette which Shepard gave him.

Jeffers tucked the cigarette behind his ear and headed into the restaurant, telling Shepard he needed to talk with a friend inside.

Shepard finished his cigarette and went back inside, exiting a few moments later with Young. The truck was still blocking them in, so Shepard said he went back inside to get the driver to ask him to move.

According to Danneman’s opening statement, Young approached Hancock who was still sitting in the passenger’s seat and there was a discussion about getting the truck moved. After several failed attempted, Young told Hancock, “Move your piece of shit truck.”

At that point, Shepard and Jeffers emerge from the restaurant.

Hancock by then was out of the truck and as he squeezed in between the two vehicles, he said, “(Expletive) you n*****s,” Shepard testified. He then got back into the truck.

Young got upset at the use of the racial slur, Danneman said, and replied something to the effect of, “If you call me that again, I will pull you out of the car and kick your ass.”

Young reached into the truck and punched Hancock in the face before backing away from the truck. Within seconds, according to testimony, Hancock shot Young in head and he collapsed in the parking lot.

“At the time of the shooting, he knew what he did and why he did it,’' Danneman said in opening statements. “He told 911, ‘I shot him, and it was self-defense.’’'

She said that Hancock and the driver instigated the entire incident by blocking in Young’s vehicle, then using racial slurs and then pulling a gun. “This defendant shot an unarmed man,’' Danneman said.

Shepard testified that he went back into the restaurant to ask them to call 911, that his son had been shot.

At that point, he said, the manager had locked down the restaurant and no one inside could leave until the police arrived.

At one point, Jefferson and Hancock appeared to be driving off, but stopped about two parking spaces away from where they had been previously parked. Shepard then called his wife to tell her what happened. “I made the hardest call of my life,’' he testified.

Defense attorney Hanle, in his opening statements, said Hancock was sitting in the truck minding his own business when Young threatened him.

He said testimony would show that Hancock had consumed Xanax and marijuana that day. Police records indicate he was later transferred from the jail to the hospital because he was believed to be overdosing.

“Bryan Hancock was certainly not looking for a fight,’' Hanle said. “Bryan Hancock shot him after being threatened, provoked, struck in the face.”

“Bryan Hancock reacted in self-defense,” Hanle told the jury, “just like everyone of you would have done.’'

Testimony resumed Tuesday afternoon. Nearly 40 witnesses could be called to testify.

Witnesses testify they heard no racial slurs prior to fatal shooting outside Trussville Cracker Barrel

Testimony continued Wednesday in the capital murder trial of Bryan Patrick Hancock, accused in the killing of a 40-year-old man during a dispute over parking outside of Trussville’s Cracker Barrel.

Hancock is charged in the March 28, 2019 death of Randy DeWayne Young.

Prosecutors contend that the deadly shooting followed racial slurs hurled by Hancock toward Young, while Hancock’s attorneys maintain their client never used racial slurs and only shot Young in self-defense after Young punched him in the face.

Jury selection began Monday, and testimony began on Tuesday.

The case is being tried by Jefferson County deputy district attorneys Deborah Danneman and Shawn Allen. Attorneys Michael Hanle and Brett Knight are defending Hancock.

On Wednesday afternoon, the state rested its case against Hancock at which time Hanle asked the judge to dismiss the charge against Hancock, saying prosecutors had not met the burden of proof.

Such a request is standard, and Circuit Judge Clyde Jones denied it.

It was then the defense’s turn to present witnesses, which included Hancock’s friend Matthew Jeffers, who was with Hancock on the night of the shooting, as well as Kelli and Robert Orozco, who were leaving the Cracker Barrel when the argument took place.

All three of the witnesses testified that they did not hear Hancock use any racial slurs prior to the shooting.

The victim’s stepfather, 69-year-old Robert Lee Shepard, testified Tuesday that the dispute began when Jeffers and Hancock parked their truck in a way that would not allow Young and Shepard to leave.

Young approached Hancock, who was still sitting in the passenger’s seat and there was a discussion about getting the truck moved.

After several failed attempts, according to previous testimony, Young told Hancock, “Move your piece of shit truck.”

At that point, Shepard and Jeffers emerged from the restaurant.

Hancock by then was out of the truck and as he squeezed in between the two vehicles, he said, “(Expletive) you n*****s,” Shepard testified. He then got back into the truck.

Young got upset at the use of the racial slur, and replied something to the effect of, “If you call me that again, I will pull you out of the car and kick your ass.”

Young reached into the truck and punched Hancock in the face before backing away from the truck.

Within seconds, according to testimony, Hancock shot Young in head and he collapsed in the parking lot. Young was pronounced dead two days later at UAB Hospital.

Jeffers, also 24, said he had picked up Hancock earlier in the day.

Jeffers’s father and another friend were also present and then they dropped off his father at his company in Tarrant. At some point during the day, Jeffers said, they went to someone’s house where they obtained Xanax.

Later, they dropped the other friend off at work at Cracker Barrel and promised to return to pick him up between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Jeffers said they returned to the restaurant about 9 p.m., parking by a curb about 15 feet from the front the door. “It wasn’t the best parking job,’' Jeffers testified.

The victim’s stepfather asked him to move his vehicle, but Jeffers told him he was going inside first to speak with his friend and order food.

Shepard later found him inside the restaurant and again asked him to move his vehicle, at which point Jeffers and Shepard exited the building together.

Jeffers said it was obvious something was amiss between Young and Hancock, who were both outside by the vehicles.

“I don’t remember what was said, I just remember the tone,’' Jeffers said. “There was tension.”

Jeffers said he could tell Young was irritated, but testified that he did not perceive his friend, Hancock, to be aggressive.

Jeffers said he got into his vehicle to move it, and that’s when he said Young went to the passenger’s side of the truck and punched Hancock in the face.

Within seconds, he said, Hancock pulled his gun and shot Young.

Jeffers said he moved the truck to allow room for medical vehicles to arrive and then got out of the truck to check on the victim. He testified he told Danneman to call 911.

Asked about the shooting, Jeffers said, “I can’t put myself in that position.”

Under cross examination by Danneman, however, he said he did give a previous statement to police calling the shooting, “unnecessary.”

Kelli Orozco testified that she and her husband, Robert, and their kids and grandchild had gone to Cracker Barrel after Bible study to eat.

When they finished and walked outside, Kelli Orozco said she noticed an argument taking place in the parking lot.

Kelli Orozco said she heard Young tell Hancock several times to move the vehicle, and said she believed Hancock to be drunk because of the way he was walking. She described Hancock as sluggish and stumbling.

Kelli Orozco testified that she could tell an argument was taking place but could not hear what they were saying.

She said she told her husband they needed to leave.

“I just had a bad feeling like it was going to escalate,’' she said. “I was afraid they were going to get in a pretty nasty fight. You could feel the tension in the air.”

Asked if she heard Hancock say anything racially inappropriate, Kelli Orozco said she did not.

Under cross examination, the witness said the only person she saw being aggressive was Hancock and pointed out that he was much bigger than the victim.

Video surveillance from the restaurant of the incident showed Orozco and her family exiting the restaurant at 9:16 p.m. and pulling out of the parking lot at 9:17 p.m.

Anything after that, she testified, she wouldn’t have heard.

They were gone by the time the shooting took place and only learned about it later that night from the news.

Her husband, Robert Orozco, did not show up for court to testify.

The judge then issued a writ ordering him to be picked up at work at a Bessemer car dealership by Jefferson County sheriff’s deputies and brought to court to testify.

He was brought into the courtroom in handcuffs and provided similar testimony to that of his wife.

Testimony in the trial is expected to wrap up on Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information