Thread: Daniel Calvillo Sentenced In 2020 TX Murder of Giovanna Berrera

Daniel Calvillo Sentenced In 2020 TX Murder of Giovanna Berrera

38D39B97-9D94-475E-B249-8D4534EC952E.jpg
    Daniel Calvillo

Man, 28, shoots woman in the face for not handing over her cellphone to him, BCSO says
    December 11, 2020

A 28-year-old man shot and killed a woman who refused to hand over her cellphone to him, Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said during a news conference Friday.

Daniel Calvillo and Keyana Jones, 20, were arrested in connection with the shooting death of 24-year-old Giovanna Modesty Augusta Barrera on Wednesday.

Salazar said Barrera was sitting in her vehicle at around 2 p.m. in the 7600 block of Tarrasa on the Northeast Side taking off her roller skates when Calvillo approached her and demanded her cellphone.

According to the sheriff, Calvillo shot Barrera in the face “in cold blood at point-blank range” after she refused to give him her phone and threw it under the driver's seat.

Calvillo then fled the scene in a car Jones was driving, Salazar said. Barrera died at the scene.

“This is tragic, you aren’t supposed to bury your kids,” Salazar said, adding that Calvillo hasn't shown remorse for the random attack.

Salazar said investigators were able to track down the suspects based off of the vehicle description and a partial license plate number. BCSO also received help from one of Jones' family members, who became suspicious after watching news coverage of the incident, an arrest affidavit said.

The relative said Jones came to her home the night of the shooting but refused to let her in, according to the affidavit.

BCSO set up a rolling surveillance on Jones and Calvillo and eventually stopped them for a traffic violation, which led to their arrests Thursday.

Jones told investigators she heard Calvillo ask for the phone and then heard Barerra answer "no" before hearing one gunshot, the affidavit said. When Calvillo returned to the car, he allegedly told Jones "I shot that lady in the head" before they drove off, according to the affidavit.

She told deputies neither she nor Calvillo knew Barrera.

Calvillo was charged with capital murder and unlawful carrying of a weapon, while Jones was charged with felon in possession of a firearm. Salazar said he hopes Jones will eventually be charged with capital murder.

“She knew what he had done and, whether she wants to believe it or not, she was the getaway driver,” Salazar said. “She could have extricated herself from the situation but instead she helped him evade and harbored him, and I hope she faces that additional charge.”

Jones' bail was set at $10,000, and Calvillo's is $515,000 for both charges.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help raise funeral costs for Barrera.

The page described her as a “loving caring person that without trying would make you laugh for no reason.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mys...g-15794560.php
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

‘You took her life like she was no one’: Family faces man who killed woman over a cellphone

Daniel Calvillo pleads guilty to capital murder

By Erica Hernandez
    KSAT News

SAN ANTONIO – On Tuesday, a San Antonio family faced the man who killed their sister over a cellphone in December 2020.

Giovanna Barrera, 24, was killed in the 7600 block of Tarrasa after rollerskating in the area.

Authorities at the time said that Barrera was approached by Daniel Calvillo and Keyana Jones, who tried to steal her cellphone. When she declined to give them the phone, Calvillo shot Barrera.

Calvillo took a plea deal for a 40-year sentence on the capital murder charge and 10 years for the aggravated robbery charge in the 399th District Court on Tuesday.

After sentencing, Barrera’s sisters gave victim impact statements.

“Giovanna will always be remembered as a hero for stopping someone like you from hurting other innocent people out there,” Gisselle Merlos said. “You took her life like she was no one.”

The plea deal is something Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said the family agreed to.

“We explained to them the realities of trial. Anything can happen,” Gonzales said. “We talked to them with the potential to resolve it with a plea agreement, and that’s exactly what happened today.”

Calvillo’s sentences will run concurrently, and he will have to serve half before he is eligible for parole.

The co-defendant in the case, Keyana Jones, has also agreed to a plea deal. She will be sentenced at a later date.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...r-a-cellphone/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information