Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek Chauvin Sentenced to 22 Years and 6 Months in 2020 MN Death of George Floyd

Whilst there are some potential due process problems that may pop on appeal, ( mainly politicians not shutting up whilst the jury is out deliberating), the idea that Chauvin is some innocent victim is absurd. He kept his knee on Floyd's neck for over two minutes after he passed out and they realised he didn't have a pulse. That alone should make him criminally liable. The guilty verdict is correct

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Do not forget that Floyd was a cardiopathic patient high on Fentanyl (three times the lethal dose). The reasonable doubt is lampant to me.

I am unhappy about this verdict, I hope a successful appeal goes ahead.

Why wasn't the jury sequestered and why wasn't a change of venue granted? The threat of violence against jurors, if they had voted to acquit (or even had they convicted Chauvin solely on the manslaughter charge), would have been eminently credible given the massive violence in the very same city over the very same case last year--not to mention the violence that took place this year in the Minneapolis suburb of Brooklyn Center.

Member Member
    I agree with the verdict.

I believe that the guilty verdict is correct, however I also agree that the court made some very egregious missteps and I believe that there very well may be some viable avenues of appeal for Chauvin.

The failure to sequester the jury and seal their identities is really inexcusable. Consider, for instance, that the jurors almost certainly heard and saw the remarks by elected officials, such as those by Maxine Waters - comments that drew the opprobrium of the judge. And then there's the fact that one of jurors recently said this in an interview:

"I did not want to go through rioting & destruction again and I was concerned about people coming to my house if they were not happy with the verdict."

As far as change of venue goes, this received international attention and the news cycle was saturated with news and commentary pertaining to this event, so I don't think a change of venue mattered, although it may have enabled the jury to operate with less fear of reprisals had they delivered the socially undesirable verdict on ANY of the 3 charges.

To reiterate, I believe Chauvin is guilty. But I also find it entirely possible that this conviction may very well be overturned on appeal. And I believe that this is ultimately what the ruling class wants, as only they stand to benefit from riots, unrest, and decimation of working class businesses, properties and neighborhoods.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Its gonna be interesting to see if the Tsarnaev case ends up affecting this. If they reinstate his sentence then the change of venue issue in general is basically dead in the water. They tried the Boston marathon bomber in the city of Boston. The entire city was put into lockdown at one point whilst they were hunting him and it still wasn't enough to get a change of venue.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Completely agree with Aaron. The way this trial was handled has left a lot of due process violations behind, and I am quite frustrated knowing that this verdict won’t stand.

An overturn will likely lead to more unrest, and those in power must know how their actions ultimately tainted this verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Its gonna be interesting to see if the Tsarnaev case ends up affecting this. If they reinstate his sentence then the change of venue issue in general is basically dead in the water. They tried the Boston marathon bomber in the city of Boston. The entire city was put into lockdown at one point whilst they were hunting him and it still wasn't enough to get a change of venue.
    This is a very good point. Tsarnaev’s jury wasn’t sequestered either. I am unsure of how that appeal will turn out, but I do think SCOTUS’s decision on that case will be used to argue Chauvin’s on appeal.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

While I think the Tsarnaev trial should have been moved out of Boston, the difference between that case and the Chauvin case is that the threat of violence against the Chauvin jurors was much more credible (that is, had they acquitted him or convicted him solely on manslaughter)--there was extensive rioting last year over the very same case and some witness intimidation recently (pig's blood smeared on a witness' door). There is absolutely no reason to think that there wouldn't have been a good possibility that these jurors would have been doxxed and subsequently harrassed or have been subject to physical attacks.

Aaron, I didn't follow the Chauvin trial proceedings closely. In terms of evidence, how did the prosecution prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin had actually killed Floyd? I had read or heard that Floyd had taken more than enough fentanyl to kill a horse, that he had been claiming he couldn't breathe while he was still in the car and that there had been no damage to his windpipe and such from Chauvin's knee (plus some debate about whether Chauvin's knee was on Floyd's back, neck or "neck area").

I barely followed the proceedings, save for the few bits and pieces I inevitably overhead on the TV and radio. It's my understanding that postmortem toxicology can be wildly inaccurate, but, at any rate, the knee certainly didn't help matters.

Maybe it wouldn't have killed some people. Maybe it simply worked in concert with drug intoxication and pre-existing health problems to cause death. But, someone being especially medically vulnerable doesn't absolve responsibility for causing their death. Suppose Person A has medical infirmities and Person B doesn't. Person C assaults Person A, causing their death. The assault wouldn't have killed Person B, but it killed A because of their poor health. Person C isn't less culpable legally just because their actions wouldn't have killed a healthier person.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information