Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry Winston Bollin Deemed Unfit for Trial in 2021 TX Slaying of 40-Year-Old Timothy Smith

Larry Winston Bollin Deemed Unfit for Trial in 2021 TX Slaying of 40-Year-Old Timothy Smith

Timothy Smith

Texas DPS: Trooper in surgery; one killed and five injured after Bryan business shooting

One person was killed and multiple people, including a DPS trooper, were shot and injured

By Adrienne DeMoss
    KBTX News

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - Police confirm one person was killed and five others were shot Thursday afternoon at Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan. A Texas Department of Public Safety trooper was also shot in Grimes County in connection to the Bryan business shooting. Police and DPS officials say a suspect is in custody, but could not rule out whether another suspect was involved.

At a 6 p.m. press conference Bryan Police Chief Eric Buske said they do not have a motive for the suspect in the shooting.

The DPS trooper who was shot in Grimes County while pursuing the suspect was taken by medical helicopter to St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital in Bryan. The trooper was in surgery according to Buske. At last update, the trooper was in serious but stable condition.

Buske said police were called to the cabinet manufacturer at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. Officers arrived on scene at 2:36 p.m., at which point the suspect had left the business.

One person died at the scene and four were transported to St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital in Bryan in critical condition, according to Buske. The police chief said that one additional person is in non-critical condition. A seventh person was transported for an asthma attack.

St. Joseph Health says one patient is in stable condition at St. Joseph Health-College Station and four are at a St. Joseph Health Regional hospital in Bryan. Two patients at the Bryan hospital are currently in critical condition and two are currently stable.

The suspect’s identity has not been released, but Buske said the suspect is an employee of Kent Moore Cabinets and used a handgun in the shooting. Witnesses have described to KBTX that the shootings appeared targeted.

Police said no motive was apparent at this time.

The business did not go on lockdown once police arrived on the scene because the suspect had fled the area, according to Buske. Employees at the scene were interviewed and have since been released.

Buske did not rule out the possibility of additional suspects and said police are working on a phone line where the families of Kent Moore employees can get updates. Most employees have been allowed to leave the facility.

When asked about the city being added to the growing list of cities experiencing mass shootings in 2021, Buske said is unprecedented in Bryan.

“This if the first incident like this in the city that I’m aware of,” said Buske.

He noted that addressing mental illness in the community is vital to curbing more mass shootings like this from happening.

There is still an active police situation off FM 2818 at Stone City Drive as law enforcement responds to the scene. Bryan, College Station, and Texas A&M police responded to the scene, along with the Brazos County Sheriff’s Office, Brazos County constables, and the Texas Department of Public Safety. Federal agencies also provided manpower and support at the scene.

Statement by Kent Moore Cabinets:

We are devastated by the events today at our Bryan manufacturing facility located on Stone City Drive. Our hearts go out to the families and the loved ones of those affected. We want to thank the many members of our law enforcement teams and other emergency personnel who responded so quickly. We are fully cooperating with law enforcement during the investigation of this horrible crime. We ask that you respect the privacy of the family members of those who were involved. Right now, our focus is on providing support to and prayers for our employees and the extended Kent Moore Cabinets family during this tragic time.

Jane Long Intermediate School was temporarily under a perimeter seal, but students were released to parents around normal dismissal time. Parents of students who walk home are asked to pick up their children at the school.

https://www.kwch.com/2021/04/08/acti...Xutd2NGp1rM6dg
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Suspect charged with murder in connection with mass shooting at Bryan cabinet shop

Larry Bollin, 27, has been arrested and charged with murder

By KHOU News Staff

BRYAN, Texas — The Bryan Police Department said it has arrested 27-year-old Larry Bollin and charged the Grimes County man with murder in connection with the deadly mass shooting at a Bryan business on Thursday.

Bollin is accused of opening fire at Kent Moore Cabinets around 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

One person was killed at the scene and six others were taken to area hospitals.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...VNuzOSU791HsJM
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

‘I don’t understand why’: Sister of Bryan shooting victim says family is in shock

By Maggie Glynn and Wes Rapaport
    Valley Central News

BRYAN, Texas (Nexstar) — Three hours after authorities identified 40-year-old Timothy Smith as the man killed in a shooting at a cabinet store, his sister said his family was stunned to learn he was gone.

“We’re all still in shock,” Brittany Jackl said from Jacksonville, Florida. “I don’t think it’s really all hit us yet.”

Smith was at Kent Moore Cabinets on Thursday when one of his colleagues, identified by Bryan Police as Larry Bollin, 27, shot him and 5 others. The Texas Department of Public Safety revealed Trooper Juan Rojas Tovar of the Madisonville Texas Highway Patrol office, was shot during the apprehension of the suspect. As of noon Friday, three people were still in the hospital, including Tovar.
    “Trooper Tovar remains in serious but stable condition,” the department shared on social media Friday morning. “He is currently receiving outstanding care, surrounded by his family and friends while his fellow troopers hold watch.”

Texas DPS added that two people were in critical condition, and two other victims are stable.

Police did not know a motive for the mass shooting in the hours after Bollin’s arrest. According to Bryan PD, Bollin was arrested by DPS in Grimes County, charged with murder and booked into the Brazos County Sheriff’s Office.

“My brother was a good loving man, and nobody deserve that, nobody,” Jackl said about her brother’s death. “It’s not okay.”

“I don’t understand why my nephews now have to grow up without a daddy,” Jackl said of his 14- and 8-year-old sons. “I don’t think I’m ever going to understand that.”

Smith has two sons from a previous marriage and lived in Bryan with his wife of two years, according to Jackl. His father lives in Mineola, Texas, a 170-mile drive north.

Jackl said her brother loved working at the cabinet store.

“He’s worked there for a couple years,” she explained. “He was actually super excited to work there.”

“He used to send me Snapchats all the time from work, saying, ‘This is where I work and this is who I work with.’ He was honestly proud of where he worked, and I was proud of him,” Jackl said.

Kent Moore Cabinets released a statement on the shooting, calling the events that took place at the facility “devastating.”

“Our hearts go out to the families and the loved ones of those affected,” the statement read in part. “We want to thank the many members of our law enforcement teams and other emergency personnel who responded so quickly. We are fully cooperating with law enforcement during the investigation of this horrible crime.”
    “We ask that you respect the privacy of the family members of those who were involved,” the statement continued. “Right now, our focus is on providing support to and prayers for our employees and the extended Kent Moore Cabinets family during this tragic time.”

Jackl said the marriage between her brother and his wife was “sickeningly sweet.”

“It’s almost annoying, like teenagers in love, the way that they talk to each other, the way they treat each other,” she explained. “They were just madly in love with each other and excited about their life and starting a family.”

And while Smith’s family makes arrangements to travel to town for his funeral, his sister said despite the many unknowns about his death, she believes she knows what he was thinking when he passed away.

“I know my brother, and I know what his last thoughts were. I know the last thing he was thinking about was his wife and his kids,” she said. “And I know that his heart was good, and I know where he is, and I know that he will see them again one day. But from there, I don’t know much else.”

On Friday afternoon, a Brazos County judge set shooting suspect Larry Bollin’s bond at a total of $2.2 million — $1.2 million for Smith’s murder and another $1 million for the attempted murder of Trooper Tovar.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/i...G4AhX2_TaaWcd8

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Lawyer: Man accused in Texas mass shooting was harassed

Associated Press

BRYAN, Texas — The employee accused of opening fire at a Texas cabinet-making company was harassed by his colleagues before he fatally shot one man and wounded five other co-workers, his lawyer said.

Larry Bollin remained in a Brazos County jail Wednesday on charges of murder, attempted capital murder and five counts of assault with a deadly weapon stemming from the shootings last week. The 27-year-old is also accused of shooting and wounding a state trooper as authorities searched for him.

Bollin’s court-appointed lawyer, Craig Greaves, told KBTX-TV that harassments from his client’s colleagues at Kent Moore Cabinets may have motivated the shooting at one of the company’s facilities in Bryan, a community about 100 miles (160 kilometres) northwest of Houston.

Greaves told The Associated Press that he had one meeting with Bollin and declined to provide more detail on the case or alleged harassments. He said he’s seeking a mental health evaluation for his client.

After his arrest Thursday, Bollin gave a two-hour interview to investigators and told them “everything,” said Greaves told the broadcaster.

“This won’t be a guilt or innocence case,” he said. “It will be purely about the sentencing.”

In a statement posted on its Facebook page last week, Kent Moore Cabinets said “our hearts are hurting” and asked for “thoughts and prayers” for its employees and their families. A company spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

https://www.570news.com/2021/04/14/l...-was-harassed/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Bryan man, survivor of April’s mass shooting, recovering after 23 surgeries

Nathan Whited’s mother says he still has a long road to recovery

By Kendall Hogan
    KBTX News

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - A Bryan man remains in the hospital after bring shot multiple times in a mass shooting in April.

Nathan Whited, 29, worked at Kent Moore Cabinets for five years as a cabinet maker when a gunman opened fire killing one person, and injuring five on April 6.

Nathan’s brother Randy tells KBTX that he carried his wounded brother out of the building the day it happened. His mother, Lenita Whited, says she was crushed when she got the call about her son.

“I received a phone call from my son Randy. He said that my son Nathan, his brother, had been shot multiple times,” said Whited.

Three of Whited’s sons work at Kent Moore Cabinets, and she says she was so scared for all three of them.

“My world had fell apart,” said Whited. “I could have lost a majority of my family that day.”

Whited says her son was rushed to St. Joseph Hospital in Bryan where life saving measures began immediately. Over the first two days, Whited says her son was touch and go.

“He was basically dead, and they had cracked his chest,” said Whited. “And if you don’t know what that is, it is basically the last resort to save someone’s life.”

Whited says her son has been fighting for his life for nearly nine weeks. She says he has had 23 surgeries to fix a multitude of problems. Nearly one month ago, Nathan was transferred to a hospital in Houston where he remains.

Whited says she has mixed emotions knowing how much pain her son has been in.

“What is heartbreaking is he was a hero in this,” said Whited. “I say that with pride and hurt all at the same time. If it wasn’t for my son trying to stop the gentleman, a lot more people would have got hurt.”

Whited says her son’s doctors believe he still has a long way to go. She says almost every day they find something else wrong that they need to fix.

As that long road continues, Whited says she hopes people think twice about the pain they cause when they do things like this.

“Look at what it does to families, how it rips families lives apart, and the pain, and the heartache,” said Whited. “And its not just the person it happened to. It’s the family, it is the friends, so many people.”

The accused gunman, Larry Bollin, remains in the Brazos County Detention Center on a $3.2 million bond. The Brazos County District Clerk’s Office says Bollin’s case has yet to be presented to a Grand Jury, but should be soon. After that, is when a court date should be set.

The family says they have set up a GoFundMe to help with the medical expenses for Nathan Whited.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/15/brya...-23-surgeries/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Accused gunman in Kent Moore Cabinets mass shooting indicted by Brazos County grand jury

Larry Bollin of Iola remains in the Brazos County jail on a $3.2 million bond

By Kathleen Witte, Rusty Surette and Andy Krauss
    KBTX News

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - The man charged in a fatal workplace shooting that left one dead and six injured, including a DPS trooper, was indicted Thursday by a grand jury in Brazos County on multiple charges including murder and five counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Larry Bollin, 27, is accused of opening fire on his coworkers at the Kent Moore Cabinets manufacturing facility in Bryan on April 8.

Timothy Smith, 40, was killed. Bollin is also accused of shooting and injuring Department of Public Safety Trooper Juan Tovar in Grimes County as law enforcement pursued him.

Bollin, a Grimes County resident, remains in the Brazos County jail on a $3.2 million bond.

His attorney first told KBTX in April that Bollin was harassed on the job and that was the motivation behind the mid-afternoon attack. Workers at Kent Moore Cabinets said the week prior to the shooting Bollin was involved in an argument with another co-worker.

After gunning down his co-workers, authorities say Bollin fled to Grimes County where he was located near his home by state troopers. That’s when Trooper Tovar was shot in the face but survived.

He’s charged with attempted capital murder in Grimes County.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/17/accu...ty-grand-jury/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Kent Moore shooting suspect pleads 'not guilty,' defense team files for mental incompetency

By Rebecca Fiedler
    KRHD 25 News

BRYAN, Texas — Larry Winston Bollin, the primary suspect in the Kent Moore Cabinets workplace shooting of 2021, faces multiple charges out of two counties related to assault and murder, and he has pled ‘not guilty’ to all of them.

This Wednesday, one of his lawyers filed a motion in a Grimes County court, suggesting Bollin is not mentally competent to stand trial.

“So the judge kind of looked at our motion, we talked about it awhile," relayed William "Billy' Carter, one of Bollin's court-appointed defense attorneys. "... He ordered that someone be appointed, we sent the order to him today. And it looks like he will appoint

Jennifer Rockett as the mental health expert to evaluate our client.”

Carter represents Bollin in regards to his Grimes County charge of attempted capital murder against trooper Juan Tovar. Bollin is accused of shooting and injuring the trooper in Grimes County on the night of the workplace shooting, after being chased by law enforcement from the Bryan crime scene.

Bollin is also represented by local lawyer Craig Greaves, in regards to the Brazos County charge of murder, and five counts of aggravated assault. These charges stem from the 2021 shooting at Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan, resulting in the death of employee Timothy Jackson Smith.

Both legal teams, each court-appointed to the defendant as public defenders, are concerned that Bollin is too mentally ill to work on his own case.

“If the court makes a finding that yes, he is not competent to stand trial at this point, then he has to be – you know, going to Austin State Hospital and things to regain his competency, be it medication; just where he could get back to the point where he could actually assist counsel in a defense," Greaves said.

Greaves said that Bollin is not currently in isolation while in jail, though Greaves is concerned Bollin is having mental health issues which prevent him from successfully working with any of his lawyers. Billy Carter said his team have very recently run into a similar problem.

“The information [we received about Bollin] is statements that we had been provided from the jail," said Carter. "That’s as far as I want to go – there were some recordings that we listened to that were lengthy that caused us great concern. That’s what’s got us moving in this direction."

Carter noted that if Bollin is found competent to stand trial by the court-appointed evaluator, his defense may seek to hold a competency trial down the line.

At this time, neither lawyer will comment on the nature of Bollin’s 'not guilty' pleas.

"The burden is on the state to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt," Greaves said. "There's no benefit to pleading guilty to the case. There’s no plea bargain offers on the table that would encourage me to advise him to plead guilty.”

As it stands, Larry Bollin is scheduled to stand trial for his Brazos County charges on July 11 of this year, though his lawyers believe that this date is likely to change. A trial date has not yet been set for his Grimes County charge.

https://www.kxxv.com/brazos/kent-moo...l-incompetency

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial for Kent Moore mass shooting suspect postponed after mental health evaluation

It’s unclear at the moment what the results of that mental health evaluation are and when - or if - the trial could resume

By Donnie Tuggle
    KBTX News

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) -Larry Bollin, the Iola man accused of committing last April’s mass shooting at Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan, was scheduled to have his day in court Monday but the trial was postponed.

Bollin was scheduled to appear in the 85th district court in Brazos County where he is charged with (1) count of Murder, (5) counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and (1) charge of attempt to commit capital murder of multiple persons.

According to court documents, in April, Bollin’s court-appointed defense team led by Attorney Craig Greaves filed a motion for an appointment for a mental health exam & order. In May, they later filed a motion for the appointment of a mental health expert for the case and psychological exam.

Judge Kyle Hawthorne granted the motion allowing Bollin to take a psychological exam in May.

The court received the results of that exam on Friday, July 8 and Monday’s preferential jury trial was canceled.

Despite Monday’s postponement, KBTX legal analyst Shane Phelps says the timing of the trial is ahead of schedule and serious cases like this usually take longer to get to trial.

Phelps says when it comes to trials, especially murder trials, the Texas court system takes mental health competency seriously. To determine competency, a judge weighs evidence including the psychiatrist’s or mental health expert’s reports then rules whether a defendant understands the trial and the charges he or she faces. He says Monday’s postponement is no surprise.

When there are cases that involve mental health issues like this and an examination for competency has been requested it is not uncommon for a case to be put off pending the results of that examination,” said Phelps. " No judge wants to go to trial where this is an issue of competency that has not been settled.”

Phelps says the next steps of the judicial process depend on the results of the mental health evaluation.

“That process can take 60-90 days,” said Phelps. “At the end of that process, the doctors at the mental health or psychiatric facility will either render an opinion that because we treated him successfully he has regained competency and he can now stand trial, or he has not gained competency and he’s not likely to ever gain the competency.”

It’s still unclear at the moment what the results of that mental health evaluation are and when the trial could resume.

Bollin is also facing charges in Grimes County for the shooting of a state trooper who tried to apprehend him after fleeing the scene of the shooting in Bryan.

We reached out to the district attorney and the defense team for Bollin but neither would speak to us on camera about the trial.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/12/tria...th-evaluation/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Grimes County Man Charged With The April 2021 Mass Shooting At Kent Moore Cabinets Tells The Trial Judge He “Has Never Given His Consent To Be Held”

By Bill Oliver
    WTAW News

The Grimes County man charged with the April 2021 mass shooting at Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan and shooting a DPS trooper near Iola has issued a nine page declaration of his innocence.

Larry Bollin’s letter demands that the trial judge dismiss the murder charge and that he “has never given his consent to be held” in jail.

Bollin also wrote that he “defended himself justifiably with a reasonable belief that my life was in immediate danger and impending peril”.

The document was filed about three months after a motion was granted for Bollin to undergo a psychological examination. Bollin was opposed to the examination, writing to the judge that he did “not have the right to falsely arrest or imprison me and fine or force me into a psychological evaluation.”

Two weeks after the letter was filed in Brazos County district court, Bollin’s his mother told county commissioners that her son has fired three lawyers because “they were all corrupt”.

Larry Bollin’s letter states “All of your members of your bar guild oath takers are traitors and are subserviant to the British crown and show no allegiance to the Americans”.

Larry Bollin makes multiple references in the letter to being represented by his father.

Bollin remains held in lieu of bonds on charges from Brazos and Grimes counties totaling $5.2 million dollars.

https://wtaw.com/grimes-county-man-c...nt-to-be-held/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Oh great we have another Douglas Feldman
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information