Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set For Ashin Scott Tricarico In 2021 AZ Murder Of David Liebler

Death Penalty Trial Set For Ashin Scott Tricarico In 2021 AZ Murder Of David Liebler

David Liebler

Ashin Tricarico

Arizona man charged with 1st-degree murder after shooting spree

An Arizona man has been charged with first-degree murder and other crimes in connection with eight shootings that occurred around the Phoenix area Thursday.

The Peoria Police Department said in a press release that officers had arrested 19-year-old Ashin Tricarico as the suspected gunman in the shootings, which killed a 56-year-old man who was found shot in his car.

Police said that several others were injured in the shooting spree, with victims ranging in age from 19 to 56. Authorities said that a 3-year-old child was in one of the vehicles that was shot at, but was not struck by any of the bullets.

Peoria Police said Friday that in addition to the first-degree murder charge, Tricarico also faces multiple counts of aggravated assault and drive-by shooting, as well as an endangerment charge.

Police said that the man from Surprise, Ariz., was booked into Maricopa County Jail on Friday morning, with an initial court appearance scheduled for June 24, according to jail records.

The department said in its statement that detectives were still "sorting through evidence to determine exactly what occurred," adding that a motive is "still unknown."

State and federal investigators are also assisting in the case, police said.

It was not immediately clear if Tricarico has an attorney representing him in the case.

The department said it did not plan on releasing any additional updates on the investigation until Monday, adding that authorities' "thoughts are with all the victim's, their families and the communities involved."

"We appreciate your patience and support while we investigate this complex case," Peoria Police wrote.

Authorities had said Thursday that they apprehended a suspect after a fire department recognized a vehicle matching the description given by police from the shootings.

Police said they were able to pull over the vehicle and apprehend the suspect, who was driving the car.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...ng-spree%3famp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 10-07-2022 at 08:00 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Does anyone notice that its often Arizona that has these spree shootings that are done while driving around?
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

TEEN FACES DEATH PENALTY IN ARIZONA SHOOTING SPREE

PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona teenager suspected of killing one person and injuring a dozen others during a 90-minute drive-by shooting spree in metropolitan Phoenix told police he believed people were after him because of his involvement in another shooting, according to court documents released Friday.

Ashin Tricarico, 19, is accused of opening fire on vehicles and pedestrians from a white SUV on Thursday in at least eight separate shootings in three cities that stoked fear throughout the region. Four people were shot, including a man whose pickup truck careened into a canal alongside a freeway.

A witness told police he saw the suspect drive up behind the truck and swerve into the lane beside it and then he heard a gunshot. Police later found the man’s body inside the truck with a gunshot wound to the neck and his head, face and body covered in blood, the court documents state.

Police said Tricarico admitted to some of the shootings and declined to talk about others but denied firing at a woman or killing the man, whom police haven’t identified. Tricarico told police he was involved in another shooting a month ago in Phoenix while he was a security guard and believed people have been following him because of it, according to the court documents.

“Ashin thinks every vehicle and person he drives past is pointing a gun at him,” police wrote.

Phoenix police did not immediately return a message from The Associated Press seeking confirmation of Tricarico’s account of an earlier shooting.

Tricarico, who was arrested Thursday, appeared remotely for a court hearing Friday and was directed to contact a public defender. The Maricopa County Office of the Public Defender did not have a specific attorney assigned to Tricarico, whose next court hearing is June 24. He faces charges of first-degree murder, shooting from a vehicle, aggravated assault and endangerment.

There was no immediate response to a message left at a number listed for a relative of Tricarico.

Documents police filed in Maricopa County Superior Court allege Tricarico fired at more than a dozen people, seemingly at random. In some cases, he pulled up beside vehicles and placed the barrel of an assault rifle through his window and fired multiple shots, police said.

A 3-year-old child was in one vehicle with her mother when the front windshield and driver’s side door were hit, but wasn’t harmed. The mother told police she heard three gunshots while driving and immediately felt pain in her arm, stomach and head. She was covered in blood and screaming “oh my god,” according to witness statements.

Others were injured as bullets hit or shattered glass. Authorities said the injured ranged in age from 19 to 56.

Police said Tricarico left his house in the city of Surprise with an AR-15 rifle and later bought four boxes of ammunition, filling two 30-round magazines. Matching shell casings were found at some of the shooting scenes, police said.

Richard Valencia, 34, said he spent Thursday afternoon in the hospital after being shot in the shoulder as he walked from a convenience store in Surprise. He told Phoenix news station KSAZ-TV that he fired back three times with his own weapon.

“I don’t even know the guy,” he said. “It was completely random.”

Victims and witnesses were able to give authorities a description of the suspect’s vehicle — a white Volkswagen SUV — and the license plate number. A local fire department spotted the vehicle and called police, who swarmed a shopping center that includes restaurants, a nail salon and a Walgreens.

Neil Betrue, a pastor in Surprise, was alone in his church’s office when he noticed a few police officers and heard a helicopter buzzing overhead. He peered out the door and saw even more officers surrounding the suspect’s car and started recording the commotion on his cell phone.

“I did not know at the time it was a shooting spree happening,” Betrue told The Associated Press on Friday. “I just thought maybe there must have been a car chase or something.”

As officers drew their weapons, the suspect, wearing a black jacket, black pants and white shoes, raised his hands in the air. He then was cuffed without incident, Betrue’s video shows.

“I’m just thankful that he didn’t try to put the officers or any of the business or anyone else in harm’s way here,” Betrue said.

Police don’t believe anyone else was involved in the attacks.

Tricarico also was accused of pointing an assault rifle at a man in the parking lot of a convenience store Wednesday evening as the two were sitting in their vehicles, according to the court documents. Tricarico later followed the man, who ducked when he heard a gunshot but wasn’t harmed, police said. Tricarico, however, claimed not to have left his house that day.

Police said they won’t release any further information until Monday, saying the investigation is complex.

The Phoenix metropolitan area has seen other deadly drive-by shootings.

In 2005 and 2006, the area was terrorized by a pair of serial shooters who drove around and shot at random targets, killing six people and wounding 19 others. After they were finally arrested, airport janitor Dale Hausner and his roommate Sam Dietman, a petty criminal, were given life sentences. Hausner killed himself in prison by overdosing in 2013.

A decade later, a similar string of drive-by shootings started. In 2015 and 2016, nine people were killed and two injured in what police called the “Serial Street Shootings.” Police in 2017 arrested Aaron Saucedo, then 23, alleging he randomly gunned down the people, often at night, while they were returning home from work or in their front yards. He has pleaded not guilty to numerous charges and is awaiting trial. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

https://www.courttv.com/news/teen-fa...hooting-spree/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Peoria police identify victim killed in West Valley shooting spree

PEORIA, AZ — Peoria police on Tuesday identified the man who was shot and killed last week on the Loop 101 during a spree of drive-by shootings in the West Valley that also left a dozen others injured.

Police identified the victim -- the lone casualty -- as David Liebler, 67, of Sun City, Arizona. Liebler was found dead inside his truck, which had been driven into a canal near Loop 101 and Thunderbird Road, according to the probable cause statement.

Last week, a 19-year-old man armed with an AR-15 drove throughout the West Valley and began randomly shooting at people and other vehicles over a 90-minute span, police said. The alleged gunman was arrested and is now facing several charges, including first-degree murder, aggravated assault, drive-by shooting, and endangerment.

A motive for the shooting is not known, police said.

In total, four people were shot, including Liebler, and nine others were injured -- some from shrapnel or car crashes due to the shootings -- in at least eight separate incidents spanning Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, and along the Loop 101 and Loop 303 freeways, police said.

Police said they initially did not know that Liebler was one of the victims connected to the shooting. DPS was initially sent out for reports of a shooting but were unable to find the victim or vehicle.

After seeing news coverage of the events, a witness contacted police again and told them they saw a truck inside a canal.

In the days following the Thursday shooting, police have connected the alleged gunman to additional incidents, including reports of him pointing a gun at people days before he started shooting.

Police said the alleged gunman pointed a gun at a woman who was in her vehicle on June 10 near 87th Avenue and Lake Pleasant Parkway, a previously unknown incident. The woman was not injured and no shots were fired, police said.

The alleged gunman made his initial appearance in court last week. During that appearance, it was learned that the suspect had a juvenile criminal record.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc...ee%3f_amp=true

Timeline gives minute-by-minute details of West Valley shooting spree

SUPRISE, GLENDALE (3TV/CBS 5) - It's a frightening case that gripped residents across the West Valley Thursday as a shooting spree left one person dead, a dozen hurt, and a whole lot of people scared.

Ashin Tricarico, 19, of Surprise, was arrested in connection with the string of crimes. He faces multiple charges, including first-degree murder, endangerment, aggravated assault and drive-by shooting, authorities said.

New court documents allege Tricarico fired at more than a dozen people, seemingly at random. In some cases, he pulled up beside vehicles and placed the barrel of an assault rifle through his window and fired multiple shots, police said.

Tricarico left his house in the city of Surprise with an AR-15 rifle and later bought four boxes of ammunition, filling two 30-round magazines. Matching shell casings were found at some of the shooting scenes, police said.

Peoria police call this a "complex case involving multiple victims, from multiple jurisdictions."

Court paperwork released Friday gives a breakdown of the crime spree that left a trail of victims across several cities. Most of the gunfire was reported Thursday, but police believe Tricarico actually began Wednesday evening.

A man called 911, reporting a suspect in a white VW SUV pointing a gun at his car window, while they were both was parked at a Circle K. The victim was on the phone with his girlfriend, talking and laughing, and he thinks Tricarico saw him and that's what caused him to "get upset," according to court documents. When the victim asked, "What's up, man?" he said Tricarico responded, "You think you're bad?" The victim told police Tricarico then loaded an assault rifle and pointed it at him. As they both drove off, in the same direction, the victim said he heard a gunshot and glass breaking, so he ducked. But he was not hurt, and no bullet struck his vehicle.

Peoria police got multiple 911 calls about a shooting near Northern and 103rd avenues. One driver told police he saw a woman getting out of a black Optima, "covered in blood and screaming 'oh my God!'" according to court documents. A second witness saw a white VW SUV went around the woman's car and speed away. The woman, who had her 3-year-old daughter in the car at the time, was injured by shrapnel. The little girl was not hurt.

Peoria police then got a call about a shooting on Loop 101 and Thunderbird. At the time, no victim was found. But later, officers located a deceased man inside a red Toyota pickup truck in the canal that runs alongside the freeway. The victim had been shot in the neck. A witness said he saw a white SUV pull up next to the truck, then heard a "pop," then saw the truck careen off the road.

An officer driving along Union Hills Drive said she saw the white SUV, then noticed a red Chrysler 300 driving slowly with its hazards on. The red car's back window had been shattered. The victim in that car was not hurt. But right around the same time, 2 more people were shot in the same area. A man and his adult daughter were driving on Union Hills Road when gunshots were fired from a white SUV. The woman was shot in the leg. The man was hit by shrapnel.

Surprise police got calls about 2 shootings in that area. A man told police he was walking along the sidewalk when a driver in a white SUV fired a gun at him. That man was not struck, and actually fired his own gun back in the suspect's direction. Nearby, a man who was driving on Bell Road said a man in a white SUV fired several rounds at his vehicle. That driver was struck in the head by shrapnel

MCSO was called out to a shooting scene in Surprise. Three victims driving a red SUV southbound on Loop 303 said someone in a white SUV fired shots at them. The gunfire shattered several windows.

The Peoria Fire Department located another shooting victim near Loop 303 and Happy Valley Road. Phoenix FBI agents arrived to find three shooting victims. The trio had been driving southbound in a red van when they heard gunshots. wo windows were shattered. Two victims were injured by shrapnel.

Victims and witnesses were able to give authorities a description of the suspect's vehicle and the license plate number. A local fire department spotted the vehicle and called police, who swarmed a shopping center that includes restaurants, a nail salon and a Walgreens.

Neil Betrue, a pastor in Surprise, was alone in his church’s office when he noticed a few police officers and heard a helicopter buzzing overhead. He peered out the door and saw even more officers surrounding the suspect’s car and started recording the commotion on his cellphone.

“I did not know at the time it was a shooting spree happening,” Betrue told The Associated Press on Friday. “I just thought maybe there must have been a car chase or something.”

As officers drew their weapons, the suspect, identified as Tricarico, raised his hands in the air. He then was cuffed without incident, Betrue's video shows. “I'm just thankful that he didn't try to put the officers or any of the business or anyone else in harm's way here,” Betrue said.

Police don't believe anyone else was involved in the attacks.

Police said Tricarico admitted to some of the shootings and declined to talk about others, but denied firing at a woman or killing the man. Tricarico told police he was involved in another shooting a month ago in Phoenix while he was a security guard and believed people have been following him because of it, according to the court documents.

“Ashin thinks every vehicle and person he drives past is pointing a gun at him," police wrote. He reportedly told police he thought people have been following him around for a week.

Tricarico was working as a licensed, armed security guard at a restaurant in north Phoenix on May 5 when he shot a male customer outside who was reported intoxicated, causing a disturbance and charging at Tricarico. Phoenix police said in a statement Friday night.

Police said the man was taken to a hospital with a non-life-threatening injury, and Tricarico remained at the restaurant and cooperated with investigators. The case is still being investigated, and Tricarico told police he shot the man in self-defense. The gun he used was impounded and has remained in police custody.

The Phoenix metropolitan area has seen other deadly drive-by shootings.

In 2005 and 2006, the area was terrorized by a pair of serial shooters who drove around and shot at random targets, killing six people and wounding 19 others. After they were finally arrested, airport janitor Dale Hausner and his roommate Sam Dietman, a petty criminal, were given life sentences. Hausner killed himself in prison by overdosing in 2013.

A decade later, a similar string of drive-by shootings started. In 2015 and 2016, nine people were killed and two injured in what police called the “Serial Street Shootings.” Police in 2017 arrested Aaron Saucedo, then 23, alleging he randomly gunned down the people, often at night, while they were returning home from work or in their front yards. He has pleaded not guilty to numerous charges and is awaiting trial. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/timeli...6facd2f45.html

Arizona shooting spree suspect thought people were after him for prior shooting: Police

PHOENIX -- The suspect in a shooting spree targeting pedestrians and vehicles throughout metropolitan Phoenix on Thursday is a teenage security guard who allegedly told police he believed people were after him in the wake of a separate shooting he was involved in while working at a restaurant last month, according to court documents.

Ashin Tricarico, 19, of Surprise, Arizona, was charged Friday with first-degree murder, aggravated assault, drive-by shooting and endangerment in connection with the shootings, which left one person dead and a dozen others injured. There may be additional charges based on the investigation, police said.

He is being held on $1 million bond, according to jail records. Attorney information was not immediately available.

Police said Friday they have not yet identified a motive in the complex case, which involved at least eight different shooting incidents over the course of a 90-minute period Thursday morning throughout the West Valley, according to the Peoria Police Department, which is leading the investigation.

The victims ranged in age from 19 to 56, police said. A 56-year-old man was fatally shot, and three other victims suffered gunshot wounds. Others were injured by broken glass.

One victim said she heard three gunshots and immediately felt pain in her arm, stomach and head and realized she had been shot, according to court documents. It was later determined she was hit by a projectile fragment. She had a 3-year-old daughter in the back seat.

According to the probable cause document, during an interview with detectives, Tricarico indicated he believed people were following him around after being involved in a shooting in Phoenix about a month ago, according to the court documents.

"Ashin thinks every vehicle and person he drives past is pointing a gun at him," the court documents stated.

The Phoenix Police Department confirmed to ABC News that Tricarico was involved in a shooting on May 5 at a restaurant where he was working as a licensed armed security guard.

In a statement, the department said Tricarico "was asked to deal with a male customer who was reportedly intoxicated and causing a disturbance."

The customer allegedly charged Tricarico after he went outside to call 911. Tricarico then allegedly fired one shot at the man, striking him and causing a non-life-threatening injury, police said. The aggravated assault case is still under investigation, and Tricarico allegedly told police he shot in self-defense, the department said.

During the interview with detectives after his arrest, Tricarico allegedly admitted to committing some of Thursday's shootings and claimed he was shot at or had a gun pointed at him during them.

Tricarico told police that an "unknown male" pointed a gun at the suspect at a car wash Thursday morning, after which Tricarico then allegedly bought ammunition for his AR-15-style rifle, according to the court documents.

To start the spree, the suspect allegedly stared down a person outside a Circle K convenience store and then exchanged words with him before following him in his car and shooting at the victim, according to the documents.

He allegedly told police that in one of the shooting incidents, a pedestrian shot at him "so he shot back," and in a second incident, a man in a car pointed a handgun at him "so he shot back at him."

Tricarico requested an attorney "when told he had killed a man" and the interview ended, the court documents stated.

Police recovered an AR-15 rifle and two magazines in his car, and multiple .223-caliber shell casings were found from the crime scenes, according to court documents.

Several witnesses positively identified Tricarico as the alleged shooter in their incidents, according to court documents.

Police do not believe there are any additional suspects in Thursday's shootings.

https://abc7news.com/arizona-shootin...enix/10810067/

He was the greatest neighbor in the world': Sun City community remembers man killed in shooting spree

SUN CITY, Ariz. — The one victim who was killed in the West Valley shooting spree on June 17 that left 12 others injured has been identified as 67-year-old David Liebler.
    “He was the greatest neighbor in the world” Keith Howerton, said.
    The two had been neighbors in Sun City for more than five years.
    Howerton said David was well-liked, involved in his community and loved life.

“Dave was never upset about anything, he lived for living in Sun City,” Howerton said. “He was at home here. He had all his golf courses, he was involved with the HOA, doing stuff with the sun city Rec board. He was just a really good guy.”
    “He was just the best guy in the world so I’m going to miss him,” Howerton said.
    Liebler, who officers found in a red Toyota pickup truck in a canal on Loop 101, had a gunshot wound in the left side of his neck, police said.
    Details from the police reveal that the suspect, Ashin Tricarico, 19, allegedly began the rampage on Wednesday evening because he believed people were after him, officials said.

Police said Tricarico, of Surprise, was booked into the Maricopa County Jail at 8:45 a.m. on Friday and was charged with first-degree murder, multiple counts of aggravated assault, multiple counts of drive-by shooting and endangerment.
    His bond was set at $1 million and, if posted, Tricarico can be released under court-given restrictions.
    In interviews with Tricarico, police said he told them he believed people were following him around for about a week. Tricarico, a security guard, was involved in a Phoenix shooting one month ago and said that he thought every vehicle and person he drove past was pointing a gun at him, police said.
    According to search warrants, Tricarico was working security at a restaurant near Dunlap and I-17 on May 5. He was accused of shooting a drunk customer in the abdomen who was asked to leave. Police said Tricarico claimed he shot in self-defense.
    Phoenix Police said that person was taken to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury. Police are still investigating the incident as an aggravated assault case.

https://www.12news.com/mobile/articl...6-b1040773629e

Police: West Valley shooting suspect tied to 2 other gun-related incidents

Peoria police on Tuesday said they linked a man accused of killing one person and injuring several others during a shooting spree in the West Valley last week to two additional gun-related crimes occurring days earlier.

Police said 19-year-old Ashin Scott Tricarico, of Surprise, was suspected of injuring 12 people and killing one in a shooting spree on June 17 while driving a white Volkswagen SUV around the West Valley for an hour and a half, according to court records.

In the days before the shooting spree, Tricarico was believed to have pointed a gun at a woman in a vehicle in Peoria on June 10, Peoria police announced in a news release Tuesday evening. Six days later, Tricarico was believed to have shot at a man in a vehicle in Peoria, the news release said.

Neither was injured nor were the vehicles damaged, according to the news release.

It's unclear how police connected Tricarico to the alleged crimes or if he will face any additional charges.

Authorities continued to investigate the incidents surrounding Tricarico, which spanned multiple crime scenes and involved multiple police agencies, including those in Glendale and Surprise. Peoria police previously stated Tricarico's motive for the alleged shooting spree on June 17 was unknown.

Upon being questioned about the shooting spree, Tricarico claimed people were after him following a May 5 incident in which Tricarico as a security guard shot a man at a Phoenix sports bar, according to court records. He told police he saw people pointing guns at him wherever he went.

Peoria police Tuesday said the June 17 shooting spree began just after 11 a.m. when a woman and a 3-year-old child in a vehicle were shot at in Peoria. The 23-year-old woman was injured from shrapnel, police said.

Nearly 20 minutes later, 67-year-old David Liebler died from a gunshot wound while inside a vehicle near Loop 101 and Thunderbird Road, Peoria police said.

Within the hour, Tricarico shot at 10 more people.

Another man in a vehicle was injured from shrapnel while a 19-year-old woman in the same car suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, Peoria police said.

Another woman in a vehicle was shot at but was not injured, police said. The vehicle was damaged from gunshots.

Five more men and an 86-year-old woman in three different vehicles were also injured from shrapnel, Peoria police said.

A man walking was also injured from a gunshot wound to the arm, police said. He fired back at the suspect during the incident, according to police.

Tricarico faces charges on suspicion of first-degree murder, five counts of aggravated assault, five counts of drive-by shooting and one count of endangerment.

He was scheduled to appear in Maricopa County Superior Court on Thursday for a status hearing, according to online court records. A preliminary hearing was set for Monday.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ts/5314966001/

Boss rallies around victim seriously hurt during shooting spree in west Phoenix area

SUN CITY, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - One of the victims hurt in a shooting spree last week in the West Valley is recovering at home after being hit in the head with shrapnel. Justin Gamaza was on a lunch break when someone fired at him, according to Gamaza’s employer. Charlie Johnson, the owner of Desert ATVs in Sun City, says his lead technician is having trouble talking because of swelling.

Justin Gamaza
    Johnson says Gamaza is resilient, and he has a lot of friends pulling for him.
    (Source: GoFundMe)
    “I think physically, he’s improving,” says Johnson. “It’s going to be a long road, but also the mental component of the trauma he’s been through is going to be something he’s going to struggle with.”

The 29-year-old is one of a dozen people injured in the shootings last week. Victims suffered injuries from shattered glass and shrapnel and some were shot. David Liebler did not survive after he was shot while driving his truck on Loop 101 in Peoria.

Accused gunman 19-year-old Ashin Tricarico has another court hearing on Thursday. Court records say he believed people were following him.

Johnson says he checks in with Gamaza daily. It’s unclear how long it will take him to recover from the horrific experience. “I think that’s the psychological trauma from it. It was so random. That’s how it feels to him,” says Johnson. “He could have left five minutes earlier. He could have left five minutes later. He could have taken a different route.”

Johnson says Gamaza is resilient, and he has a lot of friends pulling for him. “He’s probably one of the friendliest people I know. He’s incredibly intelligent,” says Johnson. “I’m just really struck by him so when this happened to him, I felt I really need to come alongside him. Sometimes we all need that.”

Johnson has started a GoFundMe to help Gamaza financially since he is unable to work right now. To contribute, click/tap here.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/boss-r...f979cc781.html

Police: Drive-by shooting scenes are complex

When 19-year-old Ashin Tricarico allegedly terrified the West Valley with a string of drive-by shootings, many residents were shocked.

However, one teen said he believed the senseless shootings were the end of a dark path Tricarico had been headed down since he was in high school.

“I hadn’t heard his name since freshman year of high school, but as surprised as I was to hear that he had committed those crimes, I wasn’t shocked to see that he had gone down that path in life,” said Cole McCutcheon, who played football with Tricarico at Sandra Day O’Connor High School.

Tricarico was reportedly kicked off the football team his freshman year for causing disruptions in the classrooms and, reportedly, drug use.

“From what I understand, our coach had decided that having him be a part of the program did more harm than good,” McCutcheon said.

Police said the investigation into the June 17 90-minute drive-by shooting rampage will take time, as the eight scenes are complex.

“With multiple agencies involved and the fact that this person went on this spree in an hour and a half, there is a lot for us to investigate,” said Peoria Police Department Sgt. Brandon Sheffert.

The multijurisdictional investigation involves the Peoria, Surprise and Glendale police departments; Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office; the Arizona Department of Public Safety; FBI and ATF. The Peoria Police Department is the lead investigative agency.

Tricarico was taken into custody without incident in his hometown of Surprise. His motive is unknown.

“The reason that this guy was taken into custody so quickly was because of the great teamwork among agencies that gave us the ability to share information with our neighboring partners,” Sheffert said.

“The Surprise Police Department also did a fantastic job working on tracking down this vehicle and getting the suspect into custody. I also want to note that our fire agencies through the West Valley were extremely busy tending to injuries and transporting people during all of this, and they did a phenomenal job doing everything they could.”

The first shooting occurred near 103rd and Northern Avenue around 11:10 a.m., when a call came in that a driver in a white Volkswagen Tiguan had randomly opened fire.

Police later responded to a call of a vehicle off the road near the 101 and Thunderbird Road, where a 56-year-old man was shot. The as-of-yet unidentified man later died of his injuries.

The other scenes occurred near 109th Avenue and Union Hills Drive, 111th Avenue and Union Hills Drive, 113th Avenue and Bell Road, 118th Avenue and Bell Road, Loop 303 and Happy Valley Road, and 21800 N. El Mirage Road.

Around 12:42 p.m. a Surprise Fire-Medical Department employee noticed the Tiguan driving on 147th Avenue and Grand and immediately alerted Surprise police, who later stopped the vehicle. The weapon was found at the scene.

“We’re happy that he gave up and was compliant with our officers,” said Surprise Police Sgt. Tommy Hale.

The Loop 101 northbound was closed from Thunderbird Road to Grand Avenue to accommodate the investigation.

The victims range in age from 19 to 56 and are males and females of various races, according to Surprise Police Sgt. Tommy Hale. A 3-year-old child was in one of the vehicles that was shot at but was not struck or injured.

Banner Health received nine patients at its hospitals in connection with the shootings. Two were transported to Banner Health Boswell, three to Banner Health Thunderbird and four to Banner Health Del Webb.

Though this was a tragic situation, police were thankful with how quickly they apprehended the suspect and that there were no further incidents.

Sheffert said the responding agencies have a heavy heart for the deceased’s loved ones as well as with those who arrived at the murder scene.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of the deceased as well as our officers and the firefighters who had to deal with this all day,” Sheffert said.

There are resources available to victims and employees of the Peoria and Surprise police departments as they sort through this spree.

“We have a victims assistance program for the victims and those involved, including our officers,” Sheffert said.

Though the crimes are still under investigation, police have strong reason to believe that the shooter acted alone.

“We have no information at all to allude to a second shooter,” Hale said. “The suspect was taken into custody, and there is no reason for the public to feel unsafe.”

If anyone has any further information for police, they are encouraged to call the Peoria Police Department at 623-773-8311 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.

It was later reported that Tricarico was involved in May 5 incident near Black Canyon Access and Dunlap Avenue.

Tricarico was working as a licensed armed security guard at a restaurant and was asked to deal with a male customer who was reportedly intoxicated and causing a disturbance.

Tricarico went outside to call 911. The man followed and allegedly charged Tricarico, who fired one shot, striking the man, which can be heard on the 911 call. The adult male was transported to a local hospital with a nonlife-threatening injury.

Tricarico remained on scene and cooperated with investigators. Tricarico claimed he shot in self-defense. Evidence from the scene, to include the gun, was impounded and remains in Phoenix police custody.

The aggravated assault case is under investigation. The department is awaiting forensic analysis of physical evidence. Once completed, the report will be turned over to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office for review.

https://www.glendalestar.com/news/ar...ff4895136.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information