Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shawna Rhae Cash Sentenced to LWOP in 2021 AR Murder of Officer Kevin Apple

Paywall

Jury trial postponed until January for Pine Bluff woman accused of killing Pea Ridge police officer

Seeking records, defense lawyers say

By Tracy Neal
    Northwest Arkansas Gazette

BENTONVILLE -- A Benton County circuit judge granted Friday a request by the defense to postpone for six months the jury trial for a woman accused of killing a Pea Ridge police officer.

Shawna Cash, 24, of Pine Bluff is charged with capital murder, escape, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, criminal mischief, obstructing governmental operations and reckless driving.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

She's accused of killing officer Kevin Apple on June 26, 2021.

Her jury trial was scheduled to begin July 31. Her defense attorneys filed a motion seeking a delay in the trial.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...or-pine-bluff/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

No restraints needed for accused in murder trial

by Tracy Neal

BENTONVILLE -- A Pine Bluff woman will not be required to wear any restraints while in the courtroom at her murder trial.

Shawna Cash, 24, is charged with capital murder, escape, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, criminal mischief, obstructing governmental operations and reckless driving.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. She's accused of killing Pea Ridge police officer Kevin Apple.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin Jan. 29.

Benton County Circuit Judge Brad Karren asked at Monday's hearing in the case about Cash wearing a stun belt while in the courtroom at trial.

Katherine Streett, one of Cash's attorneys, said Cash should only be required to wear restraints if there's a compelling reason.

"I'm not clamoring to have her in shackles or a stun belt," Karren said.
    Karren wanted to know Cash's behavior in the jail.

Joshua Robinson, senior deputy prosecutor, said it's a court security issue and the charges against Cash are related to security, law enforcement and her following orders. He said he didn't have any information about Cash's behavior in the jail.

Karren said he didn't have a problem with Cash not being in restraints, but he plans to have two Benton County Sheriff's Office deputies posted in the courtroom.

Apple and fellow Pea Ridge officer Brian Stamps responded to a call about 11:30 a.m. June 26, 2021, to be on the lookout for a Jeep fleeing from Rogers police. They spotted the Jeep at the White Oak Station in Pea Ridge, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Cash was in the driver's seat and Elijah Andazola was a passenger, according to court documents. The two officers parked on both ends of the Jeep, which was at the gas pumps, and attempted to speak with Cash and Andazola, according to the affidavit.

Cash rammed one of the police vehicles, then drove over Apple -- dragging him 149 feet -- and fled west on Slack Street, according to court documents.

Apple, 53, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Andazola, 20, of Bentonville is charged with accomplice to capital murder and escape. Prosecutors have waived the death penalty in his case.

Andazola's jury trial is scheduled to begin March 5 in Benton County Circuit Judge Robin Green's courtroom.

Cash and Andazola are each being held without bond in the Benton County Jail.

https://prt.nwaonline.com/news/2023/...-murder-trial/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Judge grants prosecutors access to Medicaid records in capital murder trial

Shawna Cash of Pine Bluff is accused of killing a Pea Ridge Police officer in June 2021

By Associated Press, 5NEWS Web Staff

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Benton County Circuit Court Judge Brad Karren granted prosecutors in Shawna Cash's capital murder trial access to a Medicaid record of the defendant on Tuesday, Nov. 21.

Cash of Pine Bluff pleaded not guilty to capital murder and other charges in the death of a Northwest Arkansas police officer in September 2021.

She is charged in the June 2021 death of Pea Ridge Officer Kevin Apple. Police have said Cash was driving a vehicle that struck and dragged Apple when he approached the vehicle in a convenience store parking lot.

An affidavit following the incident shows police questioning Cash about what happened leading up to Apple's death. She did not take responsibility for the fatal crash and said she was just doing what she was told to do and that she tends to "blackout" during stressful situations.

Cash told investigators she had smoked marijuana the morning of Apple's death but had done any other substances.

Benton County prosecutor is seeking Cash's medical records for information on her mental health and substance abuse history.

Cash did not consent to the prosecutor accessing her medical records.

Prosecutors say they are seeking the death penalty.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...b-8b0aa98c2696
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Paywall

Jury selection begins Monday in case of woman accused of killing Pea Ridge police officer

Woman faces death penalty in death of Pea Ridge police officer

BENTONVILLE -- Jury selection begins Monday for a woman accused of killing a Pea Ridge police officer.

Shawna Cash, 24, is charged with capital murder, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault and obstructing governmental charges.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...case-of-woman/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Attorneys argue intent in Shawna Cash’s capital murder trial over death of Pea Ridge officer

by Tracy Neal

BENTONVILLE -- One side described Shawna Cash's actions as deliberate when she killed a Pea Ridge police officer by hitting him with her vehicle and dragging him nearly 150 feet.

The other side described Cash's actions as only an attempt to get away from police, saying she never intended to kill the officer.

Benton County Prosecuting Attorney Joshua Robinson and Lee Short, one of Cash's defense attorneys, gave opening statements Monday in Cash's jury trial.

Cash, 25, is charged with capital murder, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault and obstructing governmental operations. She pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Cash is accused of killing Pea Ridge police officer Kevin Apple in 2021.

Robinson told the jury they are going to watch some difficult videos and hear from witnesses who were with Apple when he died.

Apple and fellow Pea Ridge officer Brian Stamps heard a dispatch about 11:30 a.m. June 26, 2021, to be on the lookout for a Jeep fleeing from Rogers police. They spotted the Jeep at the White Oak Station in Pea Ridge, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Robinson told the jury Cash and Apple were face to face with nothing between the two except the hood of a Jeep Cherokee.

"It's in this space where a police officer with his feet planted puts his trust in a woman behind the wheel," Robinson said.

Robinson said Apple trusts that Cash will do what she's suppose to do and submit to an arrest.

Robinson said Cash makes a deliberate and thoughtful decision to flee from police. She first puts the jeep in reverse and crashes into Stamp's vehicle, he said.

"Is it an impulse, or is it a choice?" Robinson asked.

Robinson said Cash made the choice to hit Apple and drag him underneath the Jeep almost 150 feet over a curb and median.

He said witnesses went to Apple's aid and held his hand and head and said prayers for him.

Robinson told jurors they are going to see the video. "You are going to sit in that time," he said. "You are going to pray she's not going to do what you know she's going to do."

He also told the jury they are going to see and hear testimony about other police encounters involving Cash.

Short admitted Cash was behind the wheel of the vehicle which hit and killed Apple.

Cash planned that day to go to Pine Bluff to get her belongings because her boyfriend had committed suicide, Short said. He said Cash borrowed the Jeep to make the trip and Elijah Andazola agreed to go with her.

She was going to stop by her brother's home to get money for gasoline, but made the decision to steal a check from a mailbox, Short said. The homeowner pursued the jeep and held them at gunpoint until Cash and Andazola fled the scene after hearing sirens.

Short said Cash wanted to get away from police.

He said Cash's intentions were the same in the encounter with the Pea Ridge officers.

Short told the jury Andazola yelled for her to go and she fled from the store. Short said Stamps fired at the vehicle and Cash continued to flee until she wrecked the Jeep and attempted to run away from police.

Short told the jury they will watch Cash's interrogation and she repeatedly said she only wanted to get away.

He purpose was only to "get away and gone," Short said.

Stamp was the first witness called by prosecutors.

Andazola, 20, of Bentonville is charged with accomplice to capital murder and escape. Prosecutors have waived the death penalty in his case.

Andazola's jury trial is scheduled to begin March 5 in Benton County Circuit Judge Robin Green's courtroom.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2024/...cashs-capital/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

’She made a choice' | Trial for woman accused of killing Arkansas police officer continues

The gallery was filled with spectators watching as prosecutors argued Cash "made a choice" when she allegedly hit and killed Officer Kevin Apple with a car.

Author: 5NEWS Web Staff

PEA RIDGE, Ark. — Opening statements in the capital murder trial for Shawna Cash, a woman accused of killing a Pea Ridge Police Department (PRPD) officer, began on Feb. 5.

The prosecution called at least 11 witnesses during the first full day, including an officer who was on the scene at the time of the incident. The gallery was filled with spectators watching as prosecutors argued Cash "made a choice" when she allegedly hit and killed Pea Ridge Police Officer Kevin Apple with a car in 2021.

Officer Brian Stamps was one of the 11 witnesses to take the stand on Monday. Stamps was the only other officer on the scene at the gas station when Cash allegedly struck Officer Apple with a car.

Stamps recalled the scene and said he heard and saw Cash drive as fast as she could away from the gas station as Apple told her to “stop.” Stamps said Apple repeatedly yelled at Cash, "Don't do it.” As Cash allegedly drove away, Stamps said he fired his service weapon multiple times in an effort to stop her.

Other testimonies today came from Fayetteville and Farmington officers who had previous run-ins with Cash within the year prior to the 2021 incident.

The prosecution also showed the jury photos, drone video, and hard evidence of the crime scene. The trial is set to continue Tuesday.

When jury selection began on Jan. 29, the courtroom was at max capacity, with 182 potential jurors. The judge asked potential jurors if they knew the prosecution, the defense, or any potential witnesses.

On Jan. 29, Judge Karren and the defense also raised concerns about having multiple police officers attending in full uniform, suggesting witnesses may be intimidated. Karren said he'll address these concerns on a case-by-case basis.

The Death of Officer Kevin Apple

According to the PRPD, in June 2021 Officer Apple and another PRPD officer approached a vehicle that looked like one that had fled police.

When they tried to talk to those inside the car, Shawna Cash and Elijah Andazola, police said a fight began and Cash started to drive off, hitting Officer Apple and dragging him "nearly 150 feet."

Officer Apple ended up pinned between two vehicles and died, according to police.

Cash and Andazola later crashed their car, and were arrested, the release said.

According to police, Cash did not take responsibility for the fatal crash, saying she "blacks out" when stressed, and that she had smoked pot the morning of Officer Apple's death.

On Sept. 2021, Shawna Cash, 22, of Pine Bluff pleaded not guilty to capital murder and other charges in the death of Officer Kevin Apple. Prosecutors, however, said they are seeking the death penalty.

Andazola is being charged with being an accomplice to capital murder, and will face trial in March.

https://www.5newsonline.com/amp/arti...3-3b77dd3fbbcf

UPDATE: Deliberation continues Thursday in Shawna Cash’s capital murder trial

Anna Darling

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — UPDATE: The jury is going home for the day. No verdict has been given yet.

Deliberation will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday.

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — The jury is now deliberating in the trial for Shawna Cash. She is facing multiple charges for the death of Pea Ridge Police Officer Kevin Apple.

Those are capital murder, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault and obstructing government operations. The prosecution is seeking the death penalty for the capital murder charge for the 25-year-old.

As court began on Wednesday, the defense rested its case without calling any witnesses.

Judge Brad Karren gave the jury their instructions and then closing arguments began. The state gets to start in closing arguments.

To prove capital murder, the state has to prove there was a premeditated and deliberated purpose, that the defendant has a conscious object to cause death and that intention formed before acting.

The state begins by saying even the defense agrees that Cash killed Officer Apple. Prosecutor Josh Robinson told the jury intent was going to be the key to this case. Did Cash intend to kill Kevin Apple on June 26, 2021?

He said while it is impossible to get into her head at the exact moment that she sped away from the gas pump at the White Oak gas station in Pea Ridge, you can look at her actions.

takes the jury back to the incident in Farmington that happened in July of 2020 when Cash and Anthony Poumskengko fled from police in a Dodge Charger.

Poumskengko’s testimony was that Cash told him to get in the car, that Cash was the one who got behind the wheel and as he tried to help her to avoid hitting other things, she told him to “shut the f*** up.”

Then October 2020 when Cash and Poumskengko are pulled over again by Fayetteville Police. Cash refused to give her name and at one point asked to tie her shoes. Several minutes later when the Fayetteville officer starts threatening arrest for littering a cigarette butt, Cash took off running.

And earlier in the day on June 26, 2021, when Cash and Elijah Andazola were at the Walgreens being held at gunpoint by Oscar Olvera for stealing a check from his mailbox, as soon as they heard sirens approaching, they jumped back into the Jeep, Cash behind the wheel, and took off.

Robinson said this proves that Cash is well-versed in making a plan to flee and escape when she is interacting with police officers.

He said as soon as police surrounded the Jeep at the White Oak gas station, she began to formulate her plan to escape. She backed up and hit the officer behind her, realizing that the escape route was blocked. When Officer Kevin Apple got out of his car and got directly in front of her car with his gun drawn, Robinson said Cash had two choices: get caught and go to jail or drive forward and hit Apple.

He said her actions showed she had complete disregard for what happened to Apple as a result of her hitting him. He said she knew she needed to escape and Apple was in her way.

Testimony from the Arkansas State Crime Lab showed that the initial impact from the Jeep would not have killed Apple. Robinson said she had multiple opportunities to stop but she kept going, dragging Apple about 150 feet and ultimately killing him.

He said previous incidents show that Cash is always in charge in these situations. She is the one behind the wheel. She is the one telling others to get in and shut up. She is the one who is skilled at evading police, whether it be on foot or by car.

The language for proving capital murder says the length of time it takes someone to make the decision to kill someone shouldn’t be considered by the jury. In other words, a decision can be made over hours or in a split second.

Robinson said the moment Cash decided to put her foot down on the pedal of the 3,000-pound Jeep, she made her decision.

The jury is allowed to consider finding her guilty of 1st-degree murder or 2nd-degree murder if they feel the state hasn’t met the burden of proof for capital murder.

Robinson finished out his closing argument by saying that he would rather the jury let Cash walk free than find her guilty of a lesser sentence. He said Kevin Apple and his family deserve for this crime to be called what it is.

He ended his arguments by replaying the recorded phone call between Cash and another person from December 31, 2022.

Cash is heard saying, “If I’m a cop and I’m standing in front of a car that’s revving its engine, I’m getting the f*** out of the way,” with a laugh.

The person on the other end of the line laughs back. They both laugh about being told to freeze.

Defense attorney Lee Short gave the closing arguments for the defense.

Robinson pointed to the recording of Cash being interviewed by Detective Michael Braswell from the Benton County Sheriff’s Office. He said even as Det. Braswell tried to rephrase the situation, but Cash’s response was always about just trying to get away.

“All I knew was to go,” she said.

He said the evidence shown from the previous police encounters with Cash was that her intent was always to flee and to get away, but never once in those previous situations had she killed anyone so her intent was never to kill.

He said the language for what constitutes second-degree murder is clear and different from capital murder. For 2nd degree, someone only has to knowingly cause death, but causing death is not the purpose.

He said Cash’s only purpose that day was to get away and she didn’t care about the consequences of her actions, even if it caused death. He said she didn’t care if death was caused, but it was not her goal when she put the gas pedal down.

Robinson asked the jury, “Has the state proven her purpose was to kill?” If the answer is not yes beyond a reasonable doubt, then the jury has to go with a lesser charge.

He asked that the jury find Cash guilty of 2nd-degree murder.

The prosecution got a final chance to respond to this.

Robinson said that an intent to flee and a purpose to kill are not mutually exclusive. He said under the defense’s logic, how could we ever convict someone of murder without a confession?

He said people are not limited to one conscious object and it’s not the jury’s job to determine the main purpose behind someone’s actions.

He said he never suggested she only had the purpose to flee, he said she had the object to cause death to complete the purpose of fleeing.

Robinson is arguing that when Apple had his gun pointed at Cash, her decision was go to jail or floor it, I have to kill him or he’s going to kill me. So she had to kill him in order to get away.

He said the reason she had never killed another officer in one of the previous incidents was because an officer was never placed directly in front of her like Apple was. He said this was the first time she had to make this kind of decision with this kind of obstacle and she decisively chose to go through him.

He acknowledged that this was not going to be an easy decision and that no one would go home feeling good about it, but he urged the jury not to take the easier option with a 2nd-degree verdict.

The jury began deliberations at 12:05 p.m.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/del...der-trial/amp/

Jury finds Shawna Cash guilty of capital murder in death of Pea Ridge police officer

by Tracy Neal

BENTONVILLE — Shawna Cash committed capital murder when she ran over Pea Ridge police office Kevin Apple and dragged him 149 feet underneath her Jeep to his death, a jury decided Thursday.

The seven women and five men deliberated for about six hours between Wednesday and Thursday before returning unanimous verdicts of guilty on charges of capital murder, fleeing, two counts of aggravated assault and obstructing governmental operations.

Cash had no visible reaction when the verdict was read.
    The sentencing phase of the trial began almost immediately.

Several jurors and audience members in the courtroom cried as the as prosecutors played the end of watch call for Apple.
    The call is the final radio call to the fallen officer from dispatch. A dispatcher requests the fallen officer by name and squad number. After a period of silence, the dispatcher will repeat the call once or twice more.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Cash, 25, of Pine Bluff.

Benton County Prosecuting Attorney Joshua Robinson said he has two witnesses for the sentencing portion of the trial, and he expects the questioning of those witnesses to take about an hour.

Katherine Streett, one of Cash’s attorneys, said she has several witnesses to call, and it may last more than a day. She said her case in sentencing may not end until Monday.

There has been no debate in the trial of whether Cash killed Apple on June 26, 2021. Lee Short, one of Cash’s attorneys, told jurors in his opening statement that Cash killed Apple, but he said she was only attempting to flee police and did not intend to kill the officer.

Short said Wednesday he was asking jurors to find Cash guilty of second-degree murder because she didn’t care about her actions, but she did not purposefully kill Apple.

Short said Cash “freaked out” and only wanted to get away. He told the jury they had to decide whether Cash had the conscious objective to cause Apple’s death.

“We are not disputing she killed Apple, but the issue is whether she acted with purpose and there’s no evidence of her intent to cause the officer’s death,” he said.

Robinson urged jurors to find Cash guilty of capital murder. He told the panel in his closing statements Cash had two options. One was to go to jail; the other was to kill Apple.

Robinson said Cash acted with intent to flee police and because of that, she decided to kill Apple to achieve that goal. He reminded the jurors about Cash’s history of fleeing police.

He told jurors fleeing from police was not only a sport for Cash, but a way of life for her, adding Cash was more experienced in high-speed pursuits than the officers chasing her.

Apple and Brian Stamps, then a Pea Ridge police officer, heard a dispatch about 11:30 a.m. to be on the lookout for a Jeep fleeing from Rogers police. They spotted the Jeep at the White Oak Station in Pea Ridge, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Stamps stopped his patrol vehicle behind the Jeep, and Apple stopped his car in front of the Jeep.

Cash hit Stamps’ vehicle, then sped forward and hit Apple who became caught under the vehicle. Stamps testified he fired four shots at the Jeep after seeing Apple underneath it.

Cash was later apprehended by a Bella Vista police officer after she crashed the Jeep and fled into the woods.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2024/...s-arkansas-nwa

Jury receives glimpse into Shawna Cash’s childhood

Anna Darling

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — On Friday, the jury continued to learn more about Shawna Cash’s life from witnesses called by the defense.

On Thursday, the jury found Cash guilty of capital murder, and other charges, for the death of Pea Ridge Police Officer Kevin Apple.

At the end of the day on Thursday, the jury was hearing from Cash’s older brother Chris. Many of the documents defense attorney Katherine Streett brought up were police reports and Arkansas Department of Human Services reports from before Shawna was born up until she was a toddler.

The reports ranged from family fighting, concerns about missing school, missing some clothing or glasses and physical abuse from Chris’s stepfather to him.

Chris took the stand again starting Friday morning. The defense brought up approximately 40 reports in total over the two days. These included DHS reports, police reports and crimes against children reports from the Arkansas State Police.

The defense has also been logging the various addresses the three Cash siblings, Chris, Amber and Shawna, lived at over the course of these reports. She noted approximately 15 different addresses, oftentimes changing every year or few months.

In several DHS reports, there are concerns about sexual abuse from the Cash kids maternal stepgrandfather. He had exposed himself to them, touched them inappropriately and raped Amber and Shawna multiple times.

Another series of reports goes into Shawna’s issues with irritable bowel syndrome, which Chris confirmed Shawna had dealt with all her life.

In one incident in May of 2004, the school nurse at Waldron Elementary School called DHS about Shawna coming to school filthy, covered in ticks, and infected tick bites and she was having trouble controlling her bowels at school. The nurse said they had bought Shawna panties several times.

In this same report, Amber told DHS workers that she had been left at home without food or water and she didn’t know when her parents would be back.

In another report from February 2005, Shawna told DHS how she had been in a lot of stomach pain and had asked to go to the doctor but her mother wouldn’t take her. School nurses and teachers had sent home notes to Shawna’s mother urging her to get help for her daughter. Shawna ended up spending four days in a hospital.

When the sibling got a bit older, they started spending summers with their biological father in Arizona. A report from an Arizona sheriff’s office described how the kids were in Arizona and their mother wouldn’t come pick them up because she had a warrant for a failure to appear. Chris confirmed for the jury that there were oftentimes issues with being dropped off or picked up from spending time in Arizona.

In an ASP Crimes Against Children report from May 2011, Shawna, who was in middle school at this time, shared about how her mother would get drunk and she didn’t feel safe at home when she drank. She also shared how she ran out of her medication for ADHD and PTSD but that she wanted to take her medication. She also said she would often miss school to stay home and take care of her mother.

A DHS report from August 2011, talked about how Amber, Shawna and their mother had been kicked out of their apartment and were trying to find a home. A school counselor reported having to give clothes to Shawna. Her mother told the worker that they had slept one night in a car because they didn’t have anywhere to go. The Salvation Army and Home of Hope had helped them stay in a motel for a few nights.

Chris said around this time, his mother had gotten into a car accident with a drunk driver. He said she had a job that was helping her pay for school, but she lost the job and had to put school on hold. This led to their problems with finding stable shelter.

As the defense wrapped up its roughly five-and-a-half-hour questioning with Chris, Streett introduced several family photos of Shawna into evidence. One was of her as a young girl, another was a photo of Chris on Shawna’s back piggyback style, and another was a photo of the three Cash siblings on Chris’ wedding day.

Chris told the jury that Shawna wasn’t really good at making friends. He said she got bullied a lot for her IBS issues. Chris got very emotional recalling how their stepfather, Paul Lerch, treated Shawna’s health issues and how he “made it hard on her.”

He remembered when Shawna was just four or five years old, Lerch “folded her up and tried to squeeze it out of her.” Chris cried as he remembered Shawna screaming for him to stop but that he wouldn’t stop.

He told the defense how he’s a parent and stepparent now. He said Lerch’s negative interactions with them as children pushed him to be a better dad.

“No one gave a shit about me,” he said, and wants to be better for his kids.

The state did have some cross-examination for Chris.

Chris clarified for them how he has held a steady job for years, including the entire decade he’s been married. He said that while his mother had struggles when they were children, he believes she did the best she could and still has respect for her today.

He told the prosecution that he’s visited Shawna a few times while she’s been in jail. He told them how, before she was arrested, Shawna would often reach out to him for help. He always told her that his home was open to her as long as she was clean. He told the prosecution that she sometimes wouldn’t take him up on that offer for help.

He also remembered a time when Shawna was around 17 or 18 years old and she got violent with their mother. Chris had to restrain her until the police showed up.

The defense clarified that sometimes Shawna would try to get clean and stay with Chris’ family for a bit. Sometimes Chris would wake up and find she had left in the middle of the night, but he did acknowledge there were times when she tried to be better.

Next, the defense called two of Cash’s former elementary school teachers from when she attended Waldron Elementary.

They first called Charlene Moudy, who was Cash’s kindergarten teacher. She told the jury she was nervous about being on the witness stand.

She remembered Cash as a “little bitty blonde-haired baby” who was always right by her side and always smiling. She said she had no behavioral problems from her.

The defense introduced the class photo from 2004 of Ms. Moudy’s class. You see Cash standing on the right side of the back row smiling, wearing a colorful t-shirt with blue short sleeves.

She remembered Cash having more bathroom troubles than a typical kindergartener would, having accidents and sending her to the nurse often. She said that frequent accidents can sometimes be a red flag that a child is experiencing sexual abuse.

The state asked Moudy if she ever sent Cash to a school counselor and she said she didn’t but there have been other times in her career that she has sent children to the counselor.

Next, the defense brought in Stacy Cox, who was Cash’s first-grade teacher. The defense introduced Cash’s individual school photo from this year. Her blonde hair was cut to her chin and she had a big smile but didn’t show teeth.

Cox described her as a shy student who was a bit of a loner, but that she was sweet and never misbehaved. She also said she was on average with her academic level. She said Cash didn’t really interact with other students.

Cox also remembered Cash’s issues with having bathroom accidents in class and that they would happen often. She said she remembered Cash having to spend four days in the hospital because she was in so much pain from her IBS.

The prosecution had no questions for her.

The defense brought in Amanda Smith, who told the jury she was nervous to be there. When asked if she knew Shawna Cash, Smith looked over to Cash in the courtroom and they both immediately started crying. Cash put the bases of her hands onto her eyes and held them there for about 30 seconds before wiping her eyes with her hands.

Smith told the jury that Cash and her son Tristan had started dating when she was about 14 years old. She was a few years older than Tristan but it later became evident that Tristan had lied to her about his age. Still, they were close and Cash went over to Smith’s home multiple times.

A few months into their friendship, Smith said she met Cash’s mom Karen for the first time when she brought Shawna to her home and asked if Smith would take temporary guardianship over Shawna.

Karen was getting ready to move out of state and Shawna didn’t want to go. Smith lived with both of her parents at their home and after discussing it with them, they decided to bring her in.

Smith said her whole family welcomed Shawna in and everyone developed a positive relationship with her, especially her mom Lisa, who called her “Rhae Rhae”. Smith and Cash both got emotional again at this point.

“That’s my daughter,” said Smith when asked how she felt about Cash now.

Cash put her head in her hands and began slowly shaking it back and forth.

Even when Karen moved back to Arkansas a few months later, Cash continued living in the Smith’s home until she was about 18 years old.

Smith remembered they got into an argument where Cash hit her and was arrested on a misdemeanor assault charge.

Smith said they did reconcile after this happened. “Families fight,” she said, but Cash decided to move out at this point and did not come back into the home.

When Cash first moved into Smith’s home, Smith was pregnant at the time with her youngest son. The defense submitted a photo of Cash holding her son when he was a toddler, both with big smiles on their faces.

They also submitted a photo of Cash with Tristan as young teens, both smiling.

The following testimony talks about suicide and may be difficult for some readers.

Smith said her whole world changed when both of her parents died. She got very choked up as she remembered waking up from a nap one day and felt the house was too quiet. She found a stack of papers in the kitchen, her father’s debit cards and a note giving her instructions.

She went out to the garage in the back and found both her parents had committed suicide.

Smith said this is when her life fell apart. She lost her job and ended up losing and falling back into her meth addiction after seven years of sobriety.

“I was a good mom until I wasn’t and I neglected my children,” she said through tears. “I own that.”

She was arrested on federal conspiracy to distribute cocaine charges and ended up serving time in prison. Her son Tristan also fell into drug problems and is currently an inmate at the Delta Regional Unit with the Arkansas Department of Corrections.

When she was fully released back into society in 2022, she got another job and worked her way up to a management position and said she is doing well in her life right now.

She told the jury that she still loved Shawna with all her heart. She mouthed “I love you” to her as she walked out of the courtroom when she was done being questioned.

The defense then called Carl Dawson to the stand. He’s a licensed professional counselor who specializes in substance use based out of Springfield, Missouri. He’s also been involved in training lawyers and judges on what they should know about the impact of drugs on the body, specifically methamphetamine.

He said he did not know anything about Shawna Cash’s case or any particulars about any of her meth use, he was only there to give the jury information.

He gave a demonstrative presentation to the jurors about how meth affects the brain and a person’s actions.

He explained how meth is a man-made substance that can be snorted, smoked, swallowed or injected. He said it causes an extremely powerful release of dopamine that can cause brain damage, especially if someone does meth regularly. He said it can cause the same amount of brain damage to someone as a physical head injury.

He said the brain normally works at about 250 miles per hour and meth speeds that up even faster. Like driving a car faster than it should go, this can cause damage to the brain.

The midbrain is where dopamine is released and it’s a part of the brain. It’s a part of the brain that dates back to caveman times. He showed a picture of the brain that shows the pathways out of the midbrain and into the frontal cortex where the dopamine travels.

The frontal cortex is the part of the brain that is responsible for rational decision-making, controlling emotions, attention, concentration and social appropriateness. He said when the frontal cortex is flooded by dopamine caused by meth high, it takes the frontal cortex offline and reverts the human to caveman-like behaviors, including paranoia.

When someone is high on meth, he said they may grind their teeth, extend their neck, scratch themselves, talk fast, start sweating and appear to be having a powerful manic event.

Someone who does meth regularly tends to be thin and have rot in the teeth and gums because meth stops proper saliva production.

He said someone who uses meth but may not be high at the moment can still have that paranoid feeling which can lead to fleeing and escape behavior. He said meth’s high effects can last up to 48 hours long.

He also said that there is research that shows women are more likely to fall into meth addiction than men. This is because women are more likely to be depressed than men, and meth is a very strong anti-depressant.

The state had some cross-examination for Dawson. He clarified that he is not a doctor and that he is getting paid $250 an hour for his time.

Dawson had included some generic photos of what the brain looks like when it’s been damaged by meth use. He confirmed that he had no idea the specifics surrounding the brain in the photo, like who that person was, their gender, how long they had been using meth, etc.

He confirmed again that he had not done any work with Cash or seen PET scans of her brain to determine the level of damage her brain may or may not have.

He also agreed that while there are a lot of variables to consider on a case-by-case basis, he said the information he presented to the jury gave a general understanding of the impact meth has on people and how it can impact their actions. He said he can’t say if everyone who gets high on meth experiences psychosis, but he said it is something he would expect in most people.

The prosecution wanted to know how someone can tell if someone’s erratic behavior is caused by meth or if it is just their normal personality trait. Dawson said meth can cause already existing personality traits to be enhanced.

The prosecution also asked him if impulsiveness is the opposite of premeditation. Dawson says that to be an impulse it has to have no predetermined thought.

The defense said it still has three more witnesses to call in the sentencing hearing before closing arguments can begin. Court resumes at 8:30 a.m. on Monday.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/jur...childhood/amp/

Arkansas officer’s killer faces death penalty following capital murder conviction

Officer Kevin Apple was a 23-year police veteran when he was killed by Shawna Rhae Cash in 2021

byLaw Officer

BENTON COUNTY, Ark. – An Arkansas woman was convicted by a jury in Benton County of capital murder in the killing of a local police officer in 2021 by smashing into him with a vehicle and then dragging his body about half the length of a football field, according to reports.

Shawna Rhae Cash, 25, was convicted last Thursday, Feb. 8, of killing Pea Ridge Police Officer Kevin Apple in 2021 by intentionally running him down with her vehicle and dragging him 149 feet while fleeing from police. As a result of the capital murder conviction, Cash now faces the possibility of death as the penalty phase of her trial begins, Law&Crime reported.

According to prosecutor Joshua Robinson, jurors learned that Cash had a history of fleeing officers, including leading Farmington Police in a high-speed pursuit in 2020, and months later, running from Fayetteville Police, according to KHBS.

“Cash is more experienced with high-speed chases than the officer chasing her,” Robinson declared.

On the morning of June 26, 2021, Oscar Olvera, a Rogers man, testified that his wife spotted a suspect in a blue Jeep steal mail from their mailbox. Olvera got into his car and chased after the Jeep, honking his horn until it pulled into a Walgreens parking lot, reported KHBS.

Olvera testified that Shawna Cash was the driver. Olvera said Cash returned a mailed check to him, yet he felt threatened when Cash’s passenger, Elijah Andazola, 21, reached for something.

As a result, Olvera drew a firearm and told Cash and Andazola to get out of the Jeep, while also calling police.

However, as responding police sirens approached, Cash and Andazola re-entered their vehicle and fled.

Pea Ridge Police Officer Kevin Apple and another officer located the suspects at a local convenience store.

“Camera footage obtained from the White Oak Gas Station depicts the suspect vehicle parked at the gas pumps when a Pea Ridge Patrol car, driven by Officer [Kevin] Apple, pulled up in front of the suspect vehicle (facing it directly) while another Pea Ridge Patrol car, driven by Officer [Brian] Stamps, pulled up directly behind it,” a redacted affidavit of probable cause for bond outlined.

With his weapon drawn, Apple stood in front of the Jeep and repeatedly yelled, “Don’t do it!” Nevertheless, Cash accelerated.

According to Law&Crime, the following excerpt was taken from court documents:

“The camera footage did not have audio but appeared as though Officer Apple was attempting to verbally engage with Cash and Andazola. Seven seconds after Officer Apple exited his vehicle, Shawna Cash accelerated backwards; slamming into Officer Stamps’ vehicle. It appeared Officer Apple drew his service weapon and approached the front of the suspect vehicle; standing directly in front of it. Approximately three seconds later, Shawna Cash rapidly accelerated straight forward; striking Officer Apple. Officer Apple was carried on the front of the suspect vehicle for several feet until Cash steered slightly to the right; striking the front left-side of Officer Apple’s patrol car, pinning him between the two vehicles. As Cash continued to accelerate, Officer Apple was dragged underneath Cash’s vehicle. The vehicle accelerated out of camera view while still dragging Officer Apple underneath.”

On Oct. 27, 2021, the Pea Ridge Police Department posted a statement to social media that was written by Officer Apple’s mother, Dalene Hart.

“To the Citizens of Pea Ridge and surrounding communities. It is with a full and humble heart that I wish to express my gratitude for the love and support my family and I have received over the last several months since my son, Officer Kevin Apple, was taken from us. As a parent, the void I have felt since Kevin’s passing is unexplainable. I think of and miss Kevin everyday as I know his fellow brothers and sisters in law enforcement do. Kevin is gone and nothing can bring him back, however; I still would like to see justice served and I believe in our criminal justice system. The support from the community has been positively overwhelming to say the least. It warms my heart and soul to see all the blue lights on porches and 1212 (Officer Apple’s badge number) signs in yards and on vehicles, not only in Pea Ridge, but in surrounding communities as well. I wanted to write this note to the people of Pea Ridge to publicly thank you from the bottom of my heart for the emotional and financial support you have given me over the past several months. I know Kevin will not ever be forgotten and his memory will live on within law enforcement and the people of the community he loved and served.”

On Dec. 9, 2023, the Pea Ridge Police Department wrote, “Fallen Officer Kevin Apple, Badge #1212, is remembered by many for his great sense of humor and the delight he took in brightening someone’s day. For us, he might be remembered best for his practical jokes and the laughter that followed! Always the prankster. We miss him dearly.”

Officer Apple was a 23-year law enforcement veteran, Law Officer reported following his death in 2021.

The capital murder case against Andazola remains ongoing.

https://www.lawofficer.com/arkansas-...er-conviction/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information