Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set For Omar Soto-Chavira In 2021 TX Murder Of Lubbock County SWAT Leader SGT Josh Bartlett

Death Penalty Trial Set For Omar Soto-Chavira In 2021 TX Murder Of Lubbock County SWAT Leader SGT Josh Bartlett

784D3CD6-5E2A-4415-9B81-8001269615A9.jpeg
    Sgt Josh

43E4F0AD-32B3-4053-A414-3BB1181DFD95.jpeg
    Soto-Chavira

WATCH: LSO SWAT Leader killed in Levelland standoff, 3 others injured

LEVELLAND, Texas (KCBD) - According to the Justice of the Peace and Constables Association of Texas, Sgt. Josh Bartlett, SWAT Leader for Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office was killed in the Levelland SWAT standoff on Thursday afternoon.

They say two other officers are in critical condition. One is a Hockley County Sheriff’s Office deputy and the other is a Levelland police officer. Another Levelland officer has also been injured, but his condition is unknown.

A Lubbock SWAT team is still on scene dealing with a subject barricaded in a house in the 1100 block of 10th Street in Levelland.

Please note this is an active scene. More shots were heard just before and after 6 p.m. Our crew has been told, “Shots are being fired in all directions.”

Everyone is asked to STAY OUT OF THE AREA around 10th & Avenue J while this situation is ongoing. Levelland Emergency Management says “Driving around aimlessly for curiosity hinders the police movements.”

Covenant Hospital in Levelland has been placed on lockdown as a precaution.

Levelland police got the call at 1:12 p.m., report of a subject who was possibly armed. The situation escalated after officers arrived and the subject barricaded himself inside the home. Our photographer on the scene heard shots fired around 3 p.m.

The Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office, Texas DPS, Levelland police, Hockley County Sheriff’s Office and the Levelland Sheriff’s Office are all on the scene. They have now been joined by the FBI, the ATF, a K9 unit, a gang unit, and the LPD Mobile Command Unit.

Covenant Hospital released this statement:

We are aware of an incident that occurred near Covenant Health Levelland earlier this afternoon. As a precaution, we locked down the hospital to ensure the safety of our patients, caregivers, and visitors. We will remain under lockdown until any threat is clear. We have deployed Covenant security officers to the Levelland hospital as an additional security measure.

We are supporting our community and law enforcement officers in Levelland and are keeping the Levelland community and the injured officers in our prayers.

We’ll continue to update this story as details are released.

https://www.kwtx.com/2021/07/15/4-of...ital-lockdown/
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 09-16-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Accused Levelland shooter to be charged with capital murder

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The dust has settled on a SWAT standoff in Levelland, with an investigation now underway. 10th Street and Ave. J was reopened around 9 p.m. Friday, after investigators completed gathering evidence in the area where Lubbock County Sheriff’s Sergeant Josh Bartlett was killed in the line of duty.

22-year-old Omar Soto-Chavira was treated for his injuries at a Lubbock hospital after he was captured Thursday night, following an hours-long standoff with at least eight different law enforcement agencies. His condition is unknown at this time.

Levelland Police Chief Albert Garcia says Soto-Chavira will be charged with one count of capital murder and two counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer.

According to law enforcement, State Troopers had already had an encounter with Soto-Chavira earlier that day . A State Trooper reported trying to be baited by the suspect during a traffic stop. It wasn’t until later that afternoon a neighbor called and said Soto-Chavira had a gun and was acting strange.

As of Friday morning, Levelland Police Sergeant Shawn Wilson is in stable but critical condition. Three other officers were treated for their injuries at the hospital and released.

We’re told Texas Rangers are heading the investigation, but it’s unclear how long law enforcement will be posted at the scene.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/07/16/hour...swat-standoff/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Soto-Chavira officially booked for capital murder, death of one officer, critically wounding another
    Staff | newsweb@everythinglubbock.com

LUBBOCK and LEVELLAND, Texas — Omar Soto-Chavira, 22, of Levelland was officially booked by the Lubbock County Detention Center on Wednesday. Shortly after he was booked, the booking sheet was updated to reflect a charge of capital murder of a peace officer. It was later updated again to display his most recent booking photo.

Soto-Chavira was taken to a Lubbock hospital instead of the Hockley County Detention Center last week after an armed standoff in the 1100 block of 10th Street in Levelland.

Officials said Soto-Chavira shot and wounded multiple officers. Lubbock County Sheriff’s Sergeant Josh Bartlett was shot and killed. Levelland Police Sergeant Shawn Wilson was critically wounded.

The LCSO SWAT team was on hand to assist Levelland Police with the armed suspect who eventually surrendered.

Funeral Services for Bartlett are scheduled for Friday (July 23) at Trinity Church in Lubbock.

The Levelland Police Department released a statement on Wednesday morning, thanking Lubbock and Levelland for its support.

“To the family – both blood and blue – of fallen hero Sgt. Josh Bartlett of the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office, please know that words are unable to adequately express our heartfelt sorrow at has ultimate sacrifice in defense of our citizens,” the statement said in part.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eve...g-another/amp/

Wilso
    Soto-Chavira, accused of killing LCSO Sgt, also federal charged on Friday

Federal prosecutors specifically mentioned the power to hold defendant without bond.

LUBBOCK, Texas — The man accused of murdering Lubbock County Sheriff’s Sergeant Josh Bartlett, Omar Soto-Chavira, 22, was charged with assaulting a federal officer. Soto-Chavira was already charged with capital murder for an armed, deadly standoff with officers in Levelland on July 15.

Police in Levelland requested help from the LCSO SWAT Team in the 1100 block of 10th Street. While officers were switching positions, Soto-Chavira opened fire, according to an arrest warrant filed in state court.

Bond was set at $500,000 in the state case.

“Were Mr. Soto-Chavira to post the $500,000 bond set in the state case, he would be immediately transferred to federal custody, where criminal defendants can be detained without bond,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Prerak Shah.

During the incident, federal officers also went to Levelland to assist during the hours-long standoff. Reporters on scene heard gunfire through the evening.

In addition to the loss of Sgt. Bartlett in the line of duty, Levelland Sergeant Shawn Wilson was critically wounded. Three more officers were wounded less severely, authorities said.

Just after 12:30 p.m. Friday, federal prosecutors released the following statement:

Accused Levelland Shooter Federally Charged

The man who allegedly shot and killed a SWAT officer during a standoff in Levelland, Texas earlier this month has been charged with assaulting a federal officer who responded to the scene, announced Acting U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas Prerak Shah.

Omar Soto-Chavira, 22, was charged via criminal complaint on Friday with one count of forcibly assaulting a federal officer engaged in the performance of official duties. Mr. Soto-Chavira has also been charged by the state with capital murder.

“The state acted swiftly to charge Mr. Soto-Chavira in the murder of Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Josh Bartlett. Were Mr. Soto-Chavira to post the $500,000 bond set in the state case, he would be immediately transferred to federal custody, where criminal defendants can be detained without bond, ” said Acting U.S. Attorney Prerak Shah. “We believe this defendant is a threat to the community, and needs to be kept behind bars. We mourn the loss of Sgt. Bartlett, who served with honor for nine years, and we pray for the other officers who were wounded in the standoff, including Sgt. Shawn Wilson.”

Local law enforcement has confirmed that during the almost 11-hours standoff, the defendant repeatedly opened fire at agents and officers. Lubbock County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Josh Bartlett was shot in the neck and killed; Levelland Police Sgt. Shawn Wilson was shot in the head and rushed to the hospital, where he remains in critical condition; and two other officers were also shot and wounded.

Though the federal criminal complaint against Mr. Soto-Chavira remains sealed, the federal arrest warrant was unsealed shortly after it was filed this morning.

A complaint is merely an allegation of criminal conduct, not evidence. Like all defendants, Mr. Soto-Chavira is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

If convicted in the federal case, he faces up to 20 years in federal prison. He faces a potential death sentence if convicted on state charges.

The Levelland Police Department, Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office SWAT, and Lubbock Police Department SWAT conducted the investigation with the assistance of Homeland Security Investigations, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Dallas Field Office, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives’ Dallas Field Division, the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Dallas Field Division, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Rangers, and the Hockley County District Attorney’s Office. Assistant U.S. Attorney Sean Long is prosecuting the federal case.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...ged-on-friday/

More Charges Brought Against murder Suspect

Levelland, Texas (AP) – Federal prosecutors say the suspect charged in the fatal shooting of a SWAT officer in a small West Texas city during a standoff last week has been charged with a federal crime. Omar Soto-Chavira was charged Friday with assaulting a federal officer who responded to the scene. Prosecutors say the 22 year old defendant repeatedly opened fire on law enforcement during the almost 11 hour July 15 standoff at a house in Levelland, west of Lubbock. Soto-Chavira was already charged in state court this week with capital murder in the death of Lubbock County sheriff’s Sgt. Josh Bartlett.

https://www.wbap.com/2021/07/24/more...urder-suspect/

“If he is convicted, I will ask for the death penalty:” What we learned about the charges against Omar Soto-Chavira

LUBBOCK, Texas — A Hockley County grand jury on Wednesday issued two indictments against Omar Soto-Chavira, the suspect in the deadly July standoff that killed Lubbock County Sheriff’s sergeant Josh Bartlett and severely wounded Levelland Police officer Shawn Wilson.

The move is the first step in a legal process initiated Wednesday in an announcement by multiple law enforcement agencies, including the sheriffs for Lubbock and Hockley counties, the Levelland Police, and the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Hockley County District Attorney Angela Overman, the lead prosecutor in the case, said she will seek the ultimate sentence.

“If he is convicted of shooting and killing a police officer, then I will ask for the death penalty,” Overman said.

Levelland Police Chief Albert Garcia also provided an update on the status of wounded officer Shawn Wilson, who has been in intensive recovery after suffering a bullet wound to the head July 15.

“He is steadily improving every day, and we are very hopeful at some point he is going to be able to come back as a fully-certified police officer once again. We are holding his spot for him,” Chief Garcia said.

Law enforcement declined to say whether they know of a motive in the murder case. They would not give an estimate on when they expect the trial to begin, although District Attorney Overman said she plans to pursue the capital murder charge first. They explained there are still many outlying questions that they hope to answer through more investigation and litigation.

“The question of ‘why?’ is one we are always trying to answer,” Hockley County sheriff Ray Scifres said. “Why someone would do something so bad. That ‘why?’ question will haunt a lot of folks for awhile. But that answer will come.”

District Attorney Overman did indicate this is only the first phase of a legal process, and she does intend to bring more criminal indictments against Soto-Chavira.

“We’ve got more to come,” she said. “We’re just getting started.”

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...ira-today/amp/

If sentenced to death, he will be the first death row inmate from Hockley County

Sgt. Shawn Wilson injured in Levelland SWAT standoff to receive $10,000 grant

By Chelsea Collinsworth

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The Running 4 Heroes non-profit organization has awarded Levelland Sergeant Shawn Wilson its First Responder Grant. Sgt. Wilson will receive $10,000 to help continue his therapy and recovery.

11-year-old Zechariah Cartledge, along with is father and the Running 4 Heroes CEO, will travel to Levelland August 28. Cartledge will run a mile to honor those fallen in the line of duty. In 2020, Cartledge presented injured firefighter Matt Dawson’s family with $5,000 to help with medical expenses. The Dawson family was the second recipient of the injured First Responder Grant.

Sgt. Wilson was critically injured in the line of duty on July 15, 2021, during a SWAT standoff in Levelland. Law enforcement responded to the area near 10th Street and Ave. J where 22-year-old Omar Soto-Chavira was barricaded. He later opened fire on responding officers. Lubbock County Sheriff’s SWAT leader, Sgt. Joshua Bartlett, was struck and died from his injuries after he was taken to the hospital.

Sgt. Wilson was struck in the back of the head and rushed to a local emergency room where he immediately underwent surgery to remove the bullet from his brain.

Wilson has continued therapy since the incident more than a year ago and has shown positive signs in his recovery process.

The non-profit, founded in 2020, has awarded $307,500 in funding to 35 heroes injured in the line of duty. The organization hopes to meet with the family of Sgt. Bartlett, who Cartledge also ran for in his honor.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/08/19/sgt-...e-10000-grant/

Honoring Sgt. Bartlett one year later; Lubbock Co. Sheriff reveals he died saving others in line of fire
    July 12, 2022

By Brittany Michaleson

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - A harrowing anniversary on the South Plains, Friday marks one year since the hours-long standoff in Levelland that claimed the life of Lubbock County SWAT Commander Joshua Bartlett.

Lubbock County Sheriff Kelly Rowe looked back on the July 15, 2021 standoff, recalling Bartlett’s selfless actions in his final moments.

“It was a tough night. It’s hard to find the words to talk about, knowing what had taken place, knowing we had lost Josh, and then the infinite amount of strength of his fellow officers to bring that incident to a close with no further injuries,” Rowe said.

Since Bartlett’s death, there have been many memorials, ceremonies and awards to honor his sacrifice. His service is enshrined at the National Law Enforcement Officer’s Memorial in Washington, D.C. and the Lubbock Regional Public Safety Memorial. He was posthumously given several Law Enforcement Achievement Awards by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement. He’s been honored by motorcyclists in the End of Watch: Ride to Remember, his family and friends through a section of highway named in his honor, and soon, a new park dedicated in his name in Levelland.

“It’s sadly a harsh reminder, every time something comes up that, whether it’s doing the job or we hit a moment like we’re in now where it’s just an anniversary date. It all becomes raw again,” Rowe said.

Rowe says there have been several discussions and evaluations about what happened that day. He says when they arrived on scene, his SWAT team noticed the perimeter was probably too close.

“There has been a lot of discussion and a lot of processes we’ve gone through to evaluate how that evening unfolded from basically the first shot. At the point that our team arrives on scene and sees, perimeter is probably too too close and he’s been firing off shots trying to get that pushed out. Of course, with Josh and the Levelland sergeant they were hit early on, not too long after their initial arrival on scene. But once once everything had gotten back under control, as much as you can use that term in a situation like that, everything was running by the numbers at that point. Negotiators were talking back and forth and trying to encourage him to end that siege peacefully,” Rowe said.

The standoff started with a call from a neighbor that 22-year-old Omar Soto-Chavira was lying naked in the street. Investigators say it escalated to him barricading himself and firing at law enforcement.

“These types of things can happen strictly because responding law enforcement may not know exactly what they’ve got,” Rowe said.

That’s when Soto-Chavira shot Sgt. Detective Shawn Wilson in the head, Lubbock Deputy Josh Bartlett in the neck and a third Lubbock Deputy in the hand.

“There’s an old saying out there that no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy. And let there be no mistake the suspect in this particular case was prepared,” Rowe said.

Rowe says Bartlett died doing what he loved to do, describing his heroism through his final moments.

“Josh did what Josh would always do. He recognized that there were people in a line of fire that were danger close and his first mission was to try to get them moved back, get them out of the line of fire and he was moving to do that. The cowardly actions of an individual took Josh’s life that day.”

Rowe says his biggest concern always goes back to the Bartlett family. He hopes his office has been able to support them through the loss.

“But the main thing is, support hasn’t ended. It will continue from here on out. I certainly meant what I said during the service, which is although Josh may be gone, he certainly will not be forgotten.”

For the Sheriff’s Department, Rowe says it’s an impossible task to expect a full recovery when an agency loses one of their own.

“We’re committed to a mission here, bottom line, and that is we’re going to do everything in our power to keep the citizens of Lubbock County and the surrounding counties that we support from time to time as safe as we possibly can. The job must go on,” Rowe said.

Soto-Chavira is charged with capital murder and attempted capital murder. Rowe says more charges are probably coming. KCBD Newschannel 11 reached out to Hockley County District Attorney Angela Overman for an update on the case, but hasn’t heard back yet. Rowe says this case will work at the pace of the courts, which is unfortunately slow across the state right now.

https://www.newschannel10.com/2022/0...outputType=amp

Omar Soto-Chavira capital murder trial moves out of Hockley County

James Clark

LEVELLAND, Texas — The capital murder trial of Omar Soto-Chavira will be moved to Johnson County on a change of venue, court records revealed. State District Judge Pat Phelan issued the order on January 9, and EverythingLubbock.com discovered it Friday during a routine check of public records.

“Upon the court’s motion to change venue and without objection from the State or the Defendant, the court will change the venue of this case to Johnson County, Texas for the jury trial,” the order said. “All other matters will continue to be heard in Hockley County, Texas.”

A jury trial in Cleburne, Texas was scheduled for September 16, 2024, at 9:00 a.m.

The judge’s order also said, “Hockley County shall reimburse Johnson County for the expenses of trying this case in Johnson County including room and board for the defendant.”

Days before the change of venue, the Levelland & Hockley County News Press reported that Hockley County sought grants to cover the cost of the trial, “which she [District Attorney Angela Overman] has estimated in the past to cost upwards of $2 million.”

Soto-Chavira was indicted for the capital murder of Lubbock County Sheriff’s SWAT team Sergeant Joshua Bartlett. LCSO assisted Levelland Police with a call on July 15, 2021.

Officials at the time said Soto-Chavira was armed and shooting at officers after they responded to a disturbance call in a Levelland neighborhood. Bartlett lost life; Levelland Police Sergeant Shawn Wilson was shot in the head and later recovered. Two other officers suffered gunshot injuries.

Even after Bartlett was shot, the armed standoff between Soto-Chavira and officers continued. It lasted for a total of 11 hours.

The district attorney said in September 2021 that she intends to seek the death penalty.

Soto-Chavira remained in the Hockley County Jail on Friday on bonds totaling $1 million.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...ey-county/amp/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information