Thread: Jesse Christopher Johnson and Marquis Mitchell Charged in 2021 KY Slaying of Deputy Sheriff Brandon Shirley

Jesse Christopher Johnson and Marquis Mitchell Charged in 2021 KY Slaying of Deputy Sheriff Brandon Shirley

Deputy Sheriff Brandon Shirley

Jesse Christopher Johnson and Marquis Mitchell

Jefferson County sheriff's deputy dead after ambush in Shively

Louisville police said they received reports of shots fired in the 2600 block of Rockford Lane

By Taylor Welter
    WHAS 11 News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Jefferson County sheriff's deputy is dead after police say he was ambushed in Shively.

Sheriff John Aubrey said 26-year-old Deputy Brandon Shirley was working an off-duty security job at Rockford Lane Auto Sales at around 2:30 a.m. Thursday when someone shot him. Shirley was taken to University of
    Louisville Hospital, where he later died.

Louisville police are leading the investigation into Shirley's death. LMPD's Public Integrity Unit canvassed the neighborhood Thursday morning, and spokesperson Alicia Smiley said K9 and air units are helping the investigation.

LMPD Chief Erika Shields said police know Shirley was targeted and ambushed.

"If someone is really determined to kill you, they're going to kill you, and that was the case here," Shields said.

Shields said LMPD does have persons of interest, but did not give any additional details.

Shirley joined the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office in March 2019. Aubrey said Shirley received a medal of valor for his work during protests in 2020, specifically his work responding to the shootng of photographer Tyler Gerth and helping arrest the person who shot him.

"Brandon was a hard-working, proactive deputy, really dedicated to his duties," Major George Grissom said. "Everybody liked him...he was a good person, a good person to be around."

Officers have taped off Rockford Lane at Dover Road where Rockford Lane Auto Sales is located.

Shields said LMPD will work to arrest those responsible for Shirley's death.

"We will make an arrest," Shields said. "Grieving comes later. We have a job to do."

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...0-77de8be4e1bd
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Two men arrested, indicted for murder of Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Shirley

Shirley was shot and killed while working an off-duty security job on Aug. 5, 2021. After a lengthy investigation, two arrests have been made

By Courtney Hayden
    WHAS 11 News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Two men have been arrested in connection with the death of Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Shirley.

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer was joined by the Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) as well as members of the Louisville ATF and FBI field offices for a joint press conference Thursday to announce the arrests.

According to LMPD Chief Erika Shields, the two suspects, 28-year-old Jesse Christopher Johnson and 18-year-old Marquis Mitchell, were indicted for murder by a grand jury after the case was presented by the Commonwealth Attorney's Office in conjunction with the LMPD Public Integrity Unit.

"We wanted to get this case right," Chief Shields said

Shields said one of the men was arrested with the help of the U.S. Marshals, Floyd County Sheriff's Office and New Albany Police Department on Wednesday, but did not include any other details surrounding the arrests.

Chief Shields said the department will not be able to divulge any information about the investigation at this time.

"Right now, our priority is a conviction," she said.

Shirley's family reacted to the indictments:

Our son, Brandon, dedicated his career to public service and the pursuit of justice for all. Today’s indictments mark a significant step forward in obtaining justice for Brandon. Thank you to the local, state, and federal law enforcement officers and this community for your work on this case.

We have many unanswered questions, including why our son was murdered.

We continue to pray for answers, sooner rather than later, and give thanks for the hope, love, and support that we’ve received.

Austin Reising, Shirley's long-time partner, said he appreciated the efforts of all of the law enforcement agencies involved in the investigation.
    "I'm very glad that justice is being served for Brandon and that we can finally start the healing process from this," Reising said.

Case Background

Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Brando, 26, was shot and killed while working an off-duty security job at Rockford Lane Auto Sales in Shively around 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 5, 2021.

LMPD Chief Erika Shields said Shirley was "targeted and ambushed" and promised that the department would make arrests in the case.

Three months after his death, Shirley's family called on LMPD for transparency and answers.

"We're not going to stop trying. We're not going to give up. Our son deserves justice," Brian Shirley, Brandon's father, said in a November interview.

According to attorney Sam Aguiar, the family was told police had "good surveillance video" showing Shirley "ambushed by individuals approaching his windows," and that they shot him inside his truck. That footage has not been publicly released.

Brandon Shirley was the fourth Jefferson County deputy to die by gunfire in the line of duty.

'He wanted to help people'

Brandon Shirley was a graduate and former baseball player at Fairdale High School. He was a beloved member of the Fairdale community, affectionately known as "Squirrely Shirley" since high school.

"He was goofy. He was funny. He was very eager to help anybody he thought needed help," Alex Shearer said.

Shirley worked as an EMT with Louisville Metro EMS before joining the Sheriff's Department in 2019. He served for two years with the department's Court Division.

Shirley received a medal of valor for his work during protests in 2020, specifically his work responding to the shooting of photographer Tyler Gerth and helping arrest the person who shot him, Sheriff John Aubrey said.

Louisville Metro Councilman Mark Fox is planning to honor Shirley's memory by naming the youth baseball fields at Nelson Hornbeck Park after him.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...5-714c3ce1b699
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Second suspect accused of killing Jefferson County Sheriff's deputy appears in court

By WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A not-guilty plea was entered Friday morning on behalf of one of two men accused of murdering a Jefferson County Sheriff's deputy.

Marquis Mitchell appeared before a Jefferson Circuit Court judge. Investigators said he and his accomplice, Jesse Johnson, are charged with murdering 26-year-old Deputy Brandon Shirley.

Earlier this month, a Jefferson County grand jury indicted both Johnson and Mitchell in Shirley's murder.

Shirley, 26, was working off-duty security at the Rockford Lane Auto Sales near Shively when he was shot and killed about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 5, 2021. He died at the hospital.

Mitchell was arrested in Floyd County, Indiana, last week and was brought back to Louisville on Thursday.

Johnson was arraigned Tuesday when a not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf as well.

After announcing the indictments of the two men last week, Louisville Metro Police Chief Erika Shields reiterated that the department was committed to hold someone accountable for what she called a "senseless and heinous act." She thanked the Public Integrity and Homicide Units for closely collaborating with the ATF and FBI.

Shields also recognized help from the U.S. Marshal's office in apprehending one of the "violent suspects" with help from the Floyd County Sheriff's Department and the New Albany Police Department.

Jefferson County Sheriff John Aubrey gave a brief statement last week thanking the efforts of fellow law enforcement on the case.

"Even though there is still the road ahead of judicial process to navigate, I'm hopeful that these arrests will bring us all -- especially the Shirley family -- closer to a process of closure," Aubrey said.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/second-sus...93514b7fc.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Ceremony marks 1 year since the assassination of Jefferson County sheriff's deputy

By WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Family and fellow officers gathered Friday to mark one year since Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Shirley was shot and killed.

Shirley, 26, was working an off-duty security job at Rockford Lane Auto Sales on Rockford Lane near Shively. Police said he was in uniform in an unmarked car when a gunman came up to the window and shot him around 2:30 a.m. Aug. 5, 2021. He died at the hospital.

At the ceremony at Louisville's Hall of Justice where Shirley worked, there were hugs and tears from those who knew and loved the deputy.

Shirley's father spoke and described the past year with two words: anguish and heartbreak.

"Trying to come terms with the fact that my son's not here anymore, trying to realize that he's gone and not understanding that he's gone is very hard for us," Brian Shirley, the fallen deputy's father, said Friday. "I wish I could look at my wife and tell her that I could make the pain go away. But I can't."

The young deputy was described as someone with a contagious smile and laugh, who chose a life to protect and serve.

"No parent should have to bury his kid," Brian Shirley said.

On Friday, a replica of Brandon Shirley's badge was revealed. It will hang above the door of the Sheriff's Office in the Hall of Justice.

"We will leave this small token of honor at Post 1, where he worked, to remind all those who cast a look upon it, heroes work here," Jefferson County Sheriff John Aubrey said. "One of them gave his life to make a small measure of difference. His name was Deputy Brandon Shirley,"

Two suspects were arrested and charged with murder. Jesse Christopher Johnson, 29, and Marquis Mitchell, 19, both pleaded not guilty.

"(Brandon) was truly the best man I've ever met in my life," Brian Shirley said. "Now, we just hope for justice."

https://www.wdrb.com/news/ceremony-m...c40cf4936.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information