Thread: Death Penalty Pursued for Ricardo Santos Bass in 2021 AL Murders Of Mark Nicholson And Jeffrey Carden

Death Penalty Pursued for Ricardo Santos Bass in 2021 AL Murders Of Mark Nicholson And Jeffrey Carden

Ricardo Santos Bass

Capital murder suspect sought in Decatur, Huntsville slayings now in custody

By Carol Robinson
    AL.com

A double murder suspect sought in north Alabama killings was captured Tuesday night.

Ricardo S. Bass, 40, was taken into custody shortly after 7 p.m. on County Line Road off Interstate 565 in Madison County, said Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Cliff LaBarge. Bass has been sought on capital murder warrants for slayings in Decatur and Huntsville.

LaBarge said the Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force developed information that Bass was in Birmingham on Tuesday. They learned he had been at a residence in the city’s Brown Springs neighborhood and was back on the road, traveling northbound on Interstate 65.

Multiple law enforcement agencies were notified, and Decatur investigators stopped Bass on County Line Road. LaBarge said the suspect fled on foot but was quickly captured.

The U.S. Marshals were offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

Bass was wanted in an Aug. 19 shooting death that happened about 6:20 a.m. at the Wavaho on Wilston Street. Decatur police said Mark Allen Nicholson was killed during a robbery.

Huntsville police have also connected Bass to a fatal shooting on McVay Street in Huntsville earlier that same morning. Huntsville police said officers were dispatched to the 3600 block of McVay Street around 5:50 a.m. that Thursday. Jeffrey Carden, 31, of Huntsville, was discovered dead at the scene from a fatal gunshot wound, police said.

The two killings happened roughly 30 minutes apart.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Affidavit: Capital murder defendant seen running from small white car

Michael Wetzel, The Decatur Daily, Ala.

Sep. 12—A Decatur man accused of capital murder in the slayings of two men Aug. 19 was seen running away from a small white vehicle he apparently abandoned in Northwest Decatur, according to an affidavit filed by a Decatur police detective.

Ricardo S. Bass, 40, is in Morgan County Jail facing two capital murder charges involving the shooting deaths of Mark Allen Nicholson, 54, of Hartselle, and Jeffrey Carden, 31, of Huntsville.

Bass has a preliminary hearing on the Nicholson slaying set for Sept. 21 at 1:30 p.m. before Morgan County District Judge Shelly Slate Waters.

According to a search warrant affidavit filed this month by Detective Joshua Daniell, a police officer, on his way to the scene of a fatal shooting at a Wavaho fuel station at 707 Wilson St. N.W., located a small white hatchback vehicle stopped at the intersection of Fourth Avenue Northwest and West Moulton Street.

"The vehicle was put in reverse and drove backwards quickly to the intersection of Fourth Avenue Northwest and First Street Northwest. A short vehicle pursuit ensued. ... The officer lost sight of the vehicle briefly before locating it again. The vehicle was parked in front of 113 12th Ave. N.W. The vehicle was a 2020 white Chevrolet Spark 5D LT (Missouri tag). The vehicle was still running with the keys located inside. No person was located inside," the affidavit read. "While approaching the vehicle, the officer witnessed a male running westbound of the vehicle, jumping fences."

The suspect was wearing a black hoodie, red and black shorts and red/tan shoes, the detective wrote.

Daniell said detectives reviewed video footage provided by the Wavaho gas station and the footage provided the clear image of a male matching the description committing an apparent robbery of Nicholson, who was suffering from gunshot wounds.

"The suspect gets into a small white hatchback, matching the description of the vehicle pursued, and drives away. The vehicle has cash and beer bottles in plain view," the affidavit said.

It was learned that Bass was a suspect in a murder investigation in Huntsville in which Carden lost his life about 30 minutes before the Decatur slaying.

Authorities said the slayings appear to be unrelated.

"Detectives believe that the cell data/wifi historic information inside the Chevrolet Spark could place the vehicle at the scene of the Huntsville homicide and the Decatur homicide," the search warrant affidavit said.

In the affidavit, it was determined the vehicle was a rental car through Enterprise of Decatur and a Decatur woman's name was on the rental agreement and that the vehicle was equipped with "Connected Car, which could provide information about the location of the vehicle during the homicide."

Morgan County Circuit Judge Stephen Brown granted Decatur police access to historic records from Aug. 18-19 from Enterprise Holdings of Clayton, Missouri, and AT&T Global Legal Demands Center in North Palm Beach, Florida.

The Spark was not reported stolen, Decatur Police Chief Nate Allen said at a Sept. 1 news conference.

Decatur police captured Bass in Limestone County after a foot chase in a wooded area off County Line Road near Interstate 565 the evening of Aug. 31. Allen said Bass jumped out of the passenger side of a silver Dodge Ram pickup about 7:30 p.m. and ran into a muddy wooded area and climbed an 8-foot barbed wire fence before he was caught about 200 yards away.

Allen declined to say if Bass was armed when apprehended.

The U.S. Marshals Service and Huntsville Police assisted in Bass' capture.

Allen said the driver of the pickup carrying Bass has not been charged.

At his initial appearance in district court Sept. 1, Bass was granted indigent status and attorneys Catherine Carter and Christy Miller were appointed to represent him. According to court records filed by Carter, Bass asked for and was granted a free transcript of the preliminary hearing.

Morgan County sheriff's spokesperson Mike Swafford said Bass is in "administrative housing away from the general population" at the jail. He is being held without bond.

A half hour before the fatal shooting in Decatur, Huntsville police received a call of a homicide and robbery on McVay Street, southwest of the Huntsville Metro Kiwanis Sports Plex, according to Huntsville police spokesperson Sydney Martin.

Martin said Carden was fatally shot in a parking lot on McVay Street when he was picking up a coworker for work.

According to court records, at the time of the two shootings Bass was out of jail on a $200,000 bond on a first-degree robbery charge from an incident that took place at a Texaco station on Sixth Avenue Northeast in Decatur on April 14.

Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson said he expects a grand jury to indict Bass.

Anderson said two separate trials would be held in the slaying cases because they occurred in two jurisdictions, Morgan and Madison counties. He said it will be at least two years before the Morgan case would go to trial.

A capital murder conviction in Alabama is punishable by life in prison without parole or the death penalty.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/...123300187.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

State will seek the death penalty in Bass trial

By WAFF Digital Staff

DECATUR, Ala. (WAFF) - A double murder suspect, who was wanted by Huntsville and Decatur police for murders in each city, will now face the death penalty at his trial.

Ricardo Bass is on trial for two murders in Decatur after he was charged with killing Mark Allen Nicholson and Jeffrey Carden.

Bass was arrested after he was spotted by U.S. Marshals in the area of Highway 20 and County line road in Madison County in August.

https://www.waff.com/2021/09/21/stat...ty-bass-trial/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Bass will be having a preliminary hearing at the Morgan County courthouse tomorrow

Decatur man indicted in killing of Hartselle man

Michael Wetzel, The Decatur Daily, Ala.

Nov. 3—A Morgan County grand jury has indicted a Decatur man on a charge of capital murder in the August 2021 shooting death at a Wavaho gas station, and the district attorney plans to seek the death penalty.

Ricardo Santos Bass, 41, is accused of the fatal shooting of Mark Allen Nicholson, 54, of Hartselle, at the Wavaho station at 707 Wilson St. N.W. on Aug. 19, 2021. Less than an hour prior, Bass allegedly shot and killed Jeffrey Carden, 31, of Huntsville, in a parking lot on McVay Street in Huntsville, according to police.

Authorities captured Bass in a wooded area near County Line Road and Interstate 565 after a car chase and short foot chase on Aug. 31, 2021.

"Currently, it is my plan to seek the death penalty in the case," Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson said.

In a court filing last week, defense attorney Christy M. Miller of Hartselle filed a motion to withdraw as counsel for Bass. Her motion states that the defendant requested that she withdraw because Bass "lacks trust" in her, and that "further representation is impossible under the circumstances."

Co-counsel Catherine Carter, also court-appointed, said she is not sure if the court will name another attorney to join Bass' defense.

"This case will not be tried before 2024 at the earliest," Carter said. "It will be up to the court system if it wants to appoint another attorney, but that action won't delay the trial. There are other capital cases in front of it."

Bass is accused of shooting and robbing Nicholson, who was fueling his pickup. According to a police affidavit, surveillance video shows Bass taking Nicholson's wallet after shooting him.

A Decatur acquaintance of Bass, Calvin Jerrod Garth, 44, of 206 13th Ave. N.W., was indicted on first-degree hindering prosecution for his alleged role in assisting Bass flee authorities. He initially denied assisting Bass in eluding police but "would go on to eventually admit that he provided Ricardo with a ride away from the residence, and dropped him off at an unspecified location in Decatur," according to the affidavit.

Garth is charged with a Class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Morgan County sheriff's spokesperson Mike Swafford said Bass is in "administrative housing away from the general population" at the county jail. Bass is being held without bond.

Others indicted on capital murder charges in the August session of the grand jury were Ayqueele Mickole Edmond of Fort Worth, Texas, Keondrick Tyrek Boyd of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and Khamis Zakaria Yugusuk of Nashville. The three are accused of shooting Rodney Maurice Fossett Jr., 21, during a robbery at Summer Courtyard Apartments in Southwest Decatur on July 13, 2021. Fossett died from his injuries at Huntsville Hospital on Aug. 5, 2021.

"All four are capital murder cases that will involve a great deal of time and effort on the part of the DA's office, the respective defense attorneys as well as the court system," Anderson said. "We will continue to work on each one so that we are fully prepared when it's time to present them to a jury."

The grand jury also issued three non-capital murder indictments charging Thomas Dale Chapman Jr. of Cullman, Jason O'Neall Stovall of Decatur and Kellie Monroe Hurley of Huntsville.

Chapman, 59, is accused of killing his son-in-law Isaac Keola Rodgers, 31, of Holly Pond near Falkville in September 2021.

Stovall, 39, is accused of the stabbing death of Lorenzo Mitchell.

Hurley, 38, is accused of the shooting death of Demetres Orr of Hartselle.

https://news.yahoo.com/decatur-man-i...124200167.html

Thread Information