Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fernando Garcia - Texas

Fernando Garcia - Texas

Facts of the Crime:

Fernando Garcia was convicted of the August 1987 rape, beating and strangulation of three-year-old Veronica Rodriguez. The girl's body was found on August 31, 1987, wrapped in a sheet under a mattress in Garcia's garage apartment behind the house where she lived.

Garcia was sentenced to death in Dallas County in December 1989.

October 16, 2007

HOUSTON — An appeals court has ordered that a Texas death row inmate convicted for the 1987 rape, beating and strangulation of a 3-year-old Dallas girl be resentenced because of improper jury instructions.

Forty-six-year-old Fernando Garcia has been on death row for the murder of Veronica Rodriguez. The girl's body was found wrapped in a sheet under a mattress in Garcia's garage apartment.

The appeals court says jurors did not have proper instructions to consider evidence about Garcia's history of drug abuse and an abused childhood when they decided he should die.

(Source: The Associated Press)

Any updates on this one?
    4 years is a long period of time for a resentencing.

They are pursuing the death penalty again.
    Not really suprising to be honest.

http://www.libertyvoice.net/2011-04/...-as-innocence/

I have no updates on this pedophile. Does anyone have any news regarding this case?

Rmer83
    Hi All,

Veronica was my sister. We've been contacted several times and he's been trying to bargain stacked life sentences to avoid the death penalty. He has people he's met through the years supporting and working to help him. Declaring he's a changed man....but what does that change for us. I was about four when this happened so it's vague. Stumbled on this forum when i googled the case. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Passed away.
    Rmer, welcome to the forum. First and foremost condolences for your sister Veronica. If you have any pictures of her that you wish to upload, that would be appreciated. Man, it has been almost 25 years. Way too long for Fernando to receive his punishment. If you have any case updates or other information you would like to post that would be great as well.

Hello and welcome to the forum Rmer. I've actually been trying to stay in touch with this case over the years but I have been unable to locate any kind of updates at all regarding Mr. Garcias new trial up until now. In alot of instances the D.A will contact the families of the victim and see how they would feel bringing the case to trial again or if they prefer to seek colsure and end it with a plea bargain and life sentence.

Fernando Garcia is a rapist child killer and that in my honest opinion is one of the most heinous, despicable crimes somebody could commit. Ultimately, Fernando Garcia belongs on death row. Luckily for those who live in both Texas and Virginia, carrying out of the death sentences are relatively fast. If Garcia is resent to Death Row, his execution will likely take place in the following couple years.

Life in prison is no good for this man. On top of this, the laws at the time of Garcias sentencing require either a death sentence or Life With the possibility of Parole after 35 years. He could be elegible for parole in only a few years if he were convicted again at trial.

This case is still on the US Supreme Court docket. Once remanded back to the 5th Circuit, I don't see the court ruling that the lack of jury instruction concerning mitigating circumstances would have affectedly outweighed the jury's sensible decision to apply the death penalty based on aggravating factors.

Rmer83
    Quote Originally Posted by tpg View Post
    Rmer, welcome to the forum. First and foremost condolences for your sister Veronica. If you have any pictures of her that you wish to upload, that would be appreciated. Man, it has been almost 25 years. Way too long for Fernando to receive his punishment. If you have any case updates or other information you would like to post that would be great as well.
    Thanks, great to hear people are keeping up with the case and care about the resolution.

I'm not too familiar with law as it pertains to this kinda case. Also since i was so young and my memory was so vague i'm not in contact with the DA as much as my mother and grandmother but i'll post info as it comes in. I'll try and get a pic posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by iMxth3xbossx5000 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum Rmer. I've actually been trying to stay in touch with this case over the years but I have been unable to locate any kind of updates at all regarding Mr. Garcias new trial up until now. In alot of instances the D.A will contact the families of the victim and see how they would feel bringing the case to trial again or if they prefer to seek colsure and end it with a plea bargain and life sentence.

Fernando Garcia is a rapist child killer and that in my honest opinion is one of the most heinous, despicable crimes somebody could commit. Ultimately, Fernando Garcia belongs on death row. Luckily for those who live in both Texas and Virginia, carrying out of the death sentences are relatively fast. If Garcia is resent to Death Row, his execution will likely take place in the following couple years.

Life in prison is no good for this man. On top of this, the laws at the time of Garcias sentencing require either a death sentence or Life With the possibility of Parole after 35 years. He could be elegible for parole in only a few years if he were convicted again at trial.
    Thanks for the welcome. You are correct, the D.A did inquire how we would feel about bringing the case to trial again. He feels that it would be difficult to take to trial but is more than up for it based on my mothers decision. I'm not sure if its the errors made with jury instruction or the now 24 year old evidence that he believes will make it difficult. I guess contacts, witnesses etc will all have to be tracked down again.

The plea bargain on the table is accepting life without parole if we stop pursuing the death penalty. Not sure what chance he stands on getting Life with the possibility of parole. I would hope no chance but i'm not sure. It amazes me how some people despite the horrible crime have a chance based on what i consider questionable errors in the handling of the case.

Again, my experince only goes as far as my dealings with our case. My mother is really dreading going through this all over again. Having to re live all the details she's been tortured with. My grandmother is more than willing to go through whatever is necessary to take him to trial. I'd hate for her to have to look at the evidence again but i dont see life in prison a fitting punishment.

sis.jpg

My sis. I'm in the blue shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information