Thread: Lavell Jones Sentenced to 40 Years In 2021 TX Murder Of Nemer Ali Alsayyed Ahman Othman

Lavell Jones Sentenced to 40 Years In 2021 TX Murder Of Nemer Ali Alsayyed Ahman Othman

Marshals arrest suspect in killing of employee outside Mr. Greek Grill and Grocery

By Joe Villasana

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - Police on Friday announced the arrest of Lavell Jones, 22, charged with capital murder for the July 10th killing of a local restaurant employee.

Police identified the employee shot to death during the early-morning robbery as Nemer Ali Alsayyed Ahman Othman, 57.

Officers found Othman lying in the front parking lot of Mr. Greek Grill and Grocery in the 2600 block of West Waco Drive at around 6:20 a.m. after responding to a report of a man down.

At the time, investigators determined he was shot to death during a robbery.
    Police said Jones was arrested Friday afternoon by the Lonestar US Marshal Task Force.

“We want to extend a thank you to the Marshal Task Force for continuing their efforts in keeping the City of Waco safe from its most violent criminals,” a police spokesman said.

https://www.kwtx.com
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Waco man who killed Mr. Greek employee sentenced to 40 years in prison

By Tommy Witherspoon

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - A Waco man who fought with an employee of Mr. Greek Grocery and Grill before shooting and killing him in July 2021 was sentenced to 40 years in prison Thursday.

The McLennan County District Attorney’s Office waived a capital murder charge against Lavell Rodney Jones in exchange for Jones’ guilty plea to murder and a 40-year prison term.

Jones, 25, shot and killed 57-year-0ld Nemer Ali Alsayyed Ahman Othman during a robbery at the restaurant at 2625 W. Waco Drive.

Jones must serve at least 20 years in prison before he can seek parole.

McLennan County First Assistant District Attorney Ryan Calvert thanked Waco police for their “excellent work which has resulted in Mr. Jones being off the streets of this community for the coming decades.”

“We are grateful that, in consultation with an with the support of Mr. Othman’s family, we were able to resolve this case in a manner that severely punishes the defendant while also removing the possibility of any appeal.”

Othman’s wife and two other family members gave emotional victim impact statements after Judge Thomas West sentenced Jones. His wife said her husband’s death has left her “vulnerable and scared.”

“I have been waiting two long years to face you,” his wife said. “My life has changed forever and nothing will ever be the same. You took my husband away from me and my family.”

According to arrest records, police were called to the business about 6:30 a.m. and found Othman in the front parking lot of the restaurant. He was dead when police arrived.

Othman had worked at the store about a month and was working the night shift, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., when he was killed.

According to an arrest affidavit, store video showed Jones, who was wearing a mask, enter Mr. Greek and pull a gun on Othman, who took money from his pocket and handed it to Jones. As Jones turned to leave, Othman pulled his own gun, grabbed Jones and a struggle ensued.

They exited the business, with Othman clinging to Jones. Jones turned and fired a shot into Othman’s head.

Police discovered text messages between Jones and someone else in which Jones confessed to robbing the “Greek.” He also said “he tried to shoot me first so I offed him,” an arrest affidavit states.

Jones said in the messages that “all he got” was $300 in the robbery, telling the person he committed the robbery to make up for losing “a large amount of dope.” He said in the messages that he was trying to make enough money to get back to Cleveland, Ohio, where his mother lives, according to arrest records.

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/07/20/waco...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information