Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manuel Garza, Jr. - Texas Execution - April 15, 2015

S.A. cop killer’s execution set for Wednesday

Fourteen years ago, struggling with a convicted criminal who had a history of fighting with cops and evading arrest, San Antonio SWAT Officer John Anthony “Rocky” Riojas was murdered with his own gun.

Riojas was shot once in the forehead and, with his wife by his side, died at a hospital a few hours after the late-night attack Feb. 2, 2001. He was 37 and had two children.

Manuel Fernando Garza Jr., 34, is set to be executed Wednesday in Huntsville for killing the 11-year police veteran.

Riojas’ widow, Sandra Riojas, declined a request for an interview, but his former colleagues spoke of him as a friend they remember fondly, describing him as kind, bright, strong and athletic.

Remembering Rocky

Riojas was a fighter from the beginning, his family recalled at his funeral at St. John Berchmans Catholic Church, where more than 4,000 mourners gathered around his flag-draped casket.

He and his twin brother, Victor, were born premature. Victor didn’t survive.

Isidoro “Izzy” Riojas, a boxing fan and 1956 Golden Gloves champion, gave his remaining son the nickname Rocky, after Rocky Marciano, when he was a month old.

“When he made it, I told my wife, 'This is going to be a tough little kid,’” the older Riojas was quoted as telling a reporter days after his son’s killing.

Riojas was born and raised on the Southeast Side and graduated in 1982 from St. Gerard Catholic High School, where he played linebacker on the football team.

It wasn’t until he was 17 that he picked up boxing, but he made up for inexperience with intensive training, his father said. In 1982, he made it to the finals of the San Antonio Regional Golden Gloves Tournament and lost a hard-fought bout to a more experienced opponent.

Friends and family said Riojas had always wanted to be a cop, but because of a bad back, it took three tryouts before he made it into the 1989 cadet class.

San Antonio Police Department Detective Guillermo Cantu Jr. was in his class and recalled that he and Riojas usually led the pack during the numerous running drills that cadets are put through.

“We hit it off like we knew each other for years. He just had that personality,” Cantu said. “He was very friendly. He wasn’t cocky, he wasn’t standoffish and he had no vices — he didn’t drink, he didn’t smoke — and he was very, very physically fit.”

During a 1993 pursuit of a suspect, Riojas took a bullet in the arm. The officer who was with him, also shot, told reporters after Riojas’ death that his partner loved the “thrill of the chase. He liked to do things the old way.”

A few years into his career, Riojas made it onto the elite SWAT team, comprising about 30 officers at the time. And in 1995, he married his wife, Sandra.

Cantu remembered Riojas, shortly after he married, asking fellow SWAT officers to go home with him on a dinner break to sing her “Happy Birthday.”

“That’s not too macho, but he didn’t care because he didn’t have anything to prove to anybody,” Cantu said.

Riojas liked to hunt, but he shunned sitting in a blind, preferring to stalk his prey. With other officers, he took trips to the Alaskan wilderness, reachable only by small plane, to go after big game: caribou, elk, even bears.

“Those guys were characters, all of them, but I don’t think any of them ever got a bear,” said Tim Berg, who owned and piloted the plane that would carry the group to a remote cabin in the mid-1990s.

“It hit all of us who knew him here pretty hard,” he said of Riojas’ death. “We were surprised someone got his gun away from him, as big and strong as he was. We still talk about him a lot up here.”

Riojas left behind a daughter and a son: 2-year-old Victoria, named in honor of his twin brother, and John Michael, just 8 weeks old and named for the patron saint of police officers, St. Michael.

His sister, Jolanda Sanchez, followed him into police work, joining SAPD in 1998. She is still an officer there.

Life of crime

By the time Garza, then 20, encountered Riojas at a Northwest Side apartment complex off Fredericksburg Road, he had been arrested 14 times as an adult and had at least three convictions as a juvenile for robbery, burglary and drug possession.

In the three years before the fatal meeting, Garza had been charged with evading or resisting arrest, escape or giving a false name to cops five times. He had five active warrants that night for other crimes, including two for vehicle burglary.

Garza’s father died of a heroin overdose when his son was about 14. He dropped out of high school in his sophomore year and had trouble maintaining steady jobs, though he had worked as a telemarketer, a busboy and most recently before the slaying as a short-order cook at a Texas Roadhouse restaurant, though he had left that job, too.

That night, Riojas was on patrol looking for car burglars and thieves who had plagued the area. Sgt. Javier Salazar, who was a narcotics detective at the time, remembers seeing Riojas as he loaded equipment into his patrol car that night to prepare for his shift.

“I looked over and saw him, and he just gave me the biggest smile and waved back,” Salazar said last week. “He was just always so happy to see you, so friendly to everyone.”

Garza would later tell police that Riojas stopped him and asked for his name. Knowing he had warrants and would be taken to jail, he gave him a fake name and ran off.

Riojas chased and caught him.

A witness to the struggle told police that the men were on their knees, with Riojas behind Garza. Garza gained control of the gun and held it over his right shoulder. A shot went off. The witness saw the officer drop to the concrete. It was a story Garza corroborated in one version of events he gave police.

Riojas died at 12:07 a.m. that night at University Hospital, with his wife at his side. Police arrested Garza 26 hours later.

“When this guy appeared to have taken advantage of him, it scared the heck out of everybody — if it happened to him, it could happen to any one of us,” Cantu recalled of the effect Riojas’ death had on the department.

“My take is that Rocky took it easy on him. … He pulled the gun on him thinking this guy was just going to give up. But this guy grabbed it and things went downhill from there, when Rocky could have very well just beat this guy.”

The trial

It took jurors less than an hour to convict Garza of capital murder and less than three to sentence him to death.

According to trial testimony, he had run to the nearby apartment of a friend, bleeding from the face and with abrasions on his neck. He said he had gotten into a fight, and he begged for a ride home.

The friend testified that after she read a newspaper account the next morning about Riojas’ slaying, she called police.

The boyfriend of Garza’s sister testified at his trial that about an hour after the shooting, Garza tried to sell him Riojas’ gun for $100 and an amplifier.

In one statement to police, Garza admitted pulling the trigger. But in a second statement, he said the gun fired accidentally. At trial, he claimed he acted in self-defense against an overly aggressive cop.

On death row, Garza was asked by a WOAI-TV reporter last week if he had anything to say to the slain officer’s family.

“No, I don’t. I mean, what can I say? What am I supposed to say? You know? I mean …” he said before his words trailed off and he let out a heavy sigh.

To this day, members of SAPD SWAT team wear a green-and-black patch on their bulletproof vests bearing the numbers of Riojas’ retired badge: 1168.

“What people don’t get is that we move on, we go on with our careers, but Rocky’s family suffers every single day,” Cantu said. “His wife didn’t remarry. She still, every day, has to deal with that — fatherless, raising two children. Daily, they miss him. And I think people take that for granted.”

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...ay-6193882.php

Media Advisory: Manuel Garza scheduled for execution

Pursuant to an order entered by the 399th District Court in Bexar County, Manuel Garza is scheduled for execution after 6 p.m. on April 15, 2015.

In April 2001, a Bexar County jury found Garza guilty of capital murder and sentenced him to death for the murder of San Antonio police officer John Riojas.

FACTS OF THE CASE

The U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals described the murder as follows:

On February 2, 2001, Officer Riojas stepped out of his marked police car and approached Garza on a street in San Antonio, Texas. Officer Riojas asked Garza for his name. Garza knew that several warrants for his arrest were outstanding. When Officer Riojas asked Garza to place his hands on the police car, Garza sprinted away, explaining later: “As I started running the cop was telling me to stop. I just wanted to get away. I knew I was gonna go to jail and I didn’t want that.” Officer Riojas gave chase, eventually catching up to and physically engaging Garza. In the course of the altercation, Officer Riojas drew his firearm, which Garza wrested away. Garza fired one shot, killing Officer Riojas. Garza was arrested two days later.

PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY

Under Texas law, the rules of evidence prevent certain prior criminal acts from being presented to a jury during the guilt-innocence phase of the trial. However, once a defendant is found guilty, jurors are presented with information about the defendant’s prior criminal conduct during the second phase of the trial – which is when they determine the defendant’s punishment.

The federal district court summarized Garza’s criminal history as follows:

The prosecution presented police officers and lay witnesses who testified regarding a wide variety of crimes committed by petitioner, both as a juvenile and adult, including:

the February 20, 1995 attempted burglary of an apartment;
    the April 2, 1995 theft of a motor vehicle and an ensuring vehicle chase;
    the May 6, 1995 attempted burglary of a vehicle;
    the Oct. 19, 1995 theft of a motor vehicle;
    the Nov. 9, 1995 burglary of a habitation;
    the Nov. 18, 1995 theft of a motor vehicle;
    the Feb. 21, 1996 theft of a motor vehicle;
    the Feb. 29, 1996 burglary of a habitation;
    the Oct. 10, 1997 arrest of petitioner on a youth commission warrant, at which time petitioner was found on school property in the possession of three knives and a screwdriver;
    the Oct. 20, 1997 search of petitioner’s bedroom at his uncle and aunt’s home during which search police found a wealth of stolen property and a Glock pistol and two loaded magazines;
    petitioner’s Dec. 24, 1997 escape from a juvenile halfway house;
    petitioner’s Dec. 29, 1997 theft and burglary of a motor vehicle;
    petitioner’s Dec. 31, 1997 to Jan. 1, 1998 theft of a motor vehicle and the ensuing high speed chase and crash of the stolen vehicle;
    petitioner’s Jan. 29, 1999 theft of a vehicle and destruction of the football field at petitioner’s former high school;
    petitioner’s Jan. 30, 1999 burglary of a vehicle;
    petitioner’s theft and burglary of a vehicle on March 5, 1999;
    petitioner’s theft and burglary of a vehicle on April 15, 1999;
    petitioner’s May 5, 1999 theft of a pair of expensive tennis shoes from a department store;
    petitioner’s July 1, 1999 unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and the ensuing high speed chase through a residential community;
    petitioner’s July 6, 2000 escape from custody following arrest and the extensive search leading to petitioner’s re-arrest on outstanding warrants;
    petitioner’s burglary of a vehicle on Oct. 16, 2000;
    petitioner’s Oct. 31, 2000 arrest on charges of driving while under the influence, without a valid driver’s license or proof of insurance, and possession of marijuana;
    petitioner’s burglaries, with others, of several vehicles in the same apartment complex on Nov. 29, 2000 and the ensuing high speed chase that led to petitioner’s arrest and subsequent written confession that he had burglarized three vehicles;
    petitioner’s Jan. 9, 2001 burglary of a vehicle; and
    petitioner’s second burglary on Jan. 24, 2001 of one of the same vehicles he had burglarized on Nov. 29, 2000.

The prosecution also presented documentary evidence establishing the petitioner had been convicted on separate occasions of multiple charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, as well as charges of theft, escape, evading arrest, theft, criminal mischief, resisting arrest, and unlawfully carrying a weapon.

PROCEDURAL HISTORY

On April 11, 2001, a Bexar County grand jury indicted Garza for murdering John Riojas, a peace officer acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty. A Bexar County jury found Garza guilty of capital murder. After the jury recommended capital punishment, the court sentenced Garza to death. Judgment was entered Nov. 1, 2002.

On Feb. 16, 2005, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed Garza’s conviction.

Garza also sought to appeal his conviction and sentence by filing an application for a state writ of habeas corpus with the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. The Court of Criminal Appeals denied this petition on Dec. 17, 2008.

Garza filed a federal habeas corpus petition in the federal district court for the Western District of Texas. The court permitted Garza to stay and abate his federal petition to pursue a second state writ of habeas corpus. On Oct. 12, 2011, the Court of Criminal Appeals dismissed Garza’s second petition as an abuse of the writ.

On Dec. 18, 2012, the district court denied habeas relief and denied a certificate of appealability.

On Dec. 20, 2013, the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit denied Garza’s request for a certificate of appealability.

On June 30, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Addict Stro07's Avatar

Manuel Garza

chibears51
    I usually listen to krpt during these executions. I like the show execution watch. org.

Manuel Garza Jr. scheduled for execution Wednesday evening for killing a SA Police Officer in 2001 has no late appeals pending plus the US Supreme Court refused to review his case last year. He would be the sixth convicted killer to be put to death in Texas in the nation's most active death penalty state.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/14...ficer-in-2001/

Paddy Wagon and police convoy ready and bound for Huntsville!!! Just awaiting on Garza, Jr. to leave his death row cell for the last time...

Manuel Garza is due to be #executed in less than an hour and a half. No appeals have been submitted to the #US Supreme #Court.

Manuel Garza was served a meal of Grilled pork chops, sweet potatoes & green beans at approx. 4pm local time. No word if Garza ate anything.

Two of Manuel Garza's witnesses are his Mother & his Wife (whom he married after being on Death Row).

https://twitter.com/Death__Penalty/s...64858502287360
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Folks, even though it's a bit early, I'm going to stagger over to X-Night Chat. You're welcome to join us. Just click on the link in the amber banner or click on the "X-Night Chat" in the header of this page.

As for X chat, could i ask if last meals are still available to death row individuals or the menu on the day at the Walls Unit? Seems like grilled pork chops, sweet potatoes and green beans is something in a fancy restaurant... Just awaiting as for the time of death of Manuel Garza, Jr.

The state of Texas has executed Manuel Garza for the 2001 murder of police officer John Riojas.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information