Thread: Andrew Williams Sentenced/Lawrence Earl Thomas Charged In 2019 TX Murder of Martha Medina

Andrew Williams Sentenced/Lawrence Earl Thomas Charged In 2019 TX Murder of Martha Medina

Chima Ogbonnaya

Martha Medina

Purse-snatcher charged in connection with 71-year-old's murder in east Harris County, sheriff says

By Brooke Taylor

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- A man has been charged with capital murder in connection with a robbery that left a 71-year-old woman dead outside of a McDonald's last month in east Harris County.

Andrew Williams, 40, is accused of stealing Martha Medina's purse, hitting her with his car and taking off. It happened in the 400 block of Uvalde Road on Sept. 23.

According to records, Williams was out on bond in connection to a previous capital murder charge in 2019. He was also out on bond for an aggravated assault charge in 2019, according to court records.

Medina's family believes her murder could have been avoided if Williams stayed behind bars.

"When I learned he was out on bond for capital murder, it was like, 'What are you thinking? Let's see what happens and give him a chance?' These people don't change and he's proven that," Lourdes Medina, the victim's daughter, said.

According to records, the state filed a motion to deny bond. Bond was denied initially, but later in 2019, Judge Hilary Unger in the 248th District Court set bond to $150,000. Three months later, Williams posted bond.

"In this situation, it makes you doubt who you are voting for," Medina said. "Why are they in office? Are they waiting for it to hit close to home and it's one of their loved ones?"

Records indicate Williams also violated his bond conditions and failed to comply with his ankle monitor.

ABC13 reached out to Judge Unger to ask why bond was not denied.

In an email, Unger said, "The Canons prohibit me from talking about pending matters. But I would direct your attention to the clerk's file in the matter, specifically the public docket sheets on the District Clerk's website whom all can view. Also, direct your attention to the Court of Criminal Procedure and the Texas Constitution (sections regarding bail) which requires me to set a bail."

ABC13 Investigates reached out to our sources who tell us while it's not an easy process, it is certainly possible for defendants accused of capital murder to be denied bond.

Medina's husband describes her as sweet and loving woman who cared for everyone around her.

Her family is hoping to fight for change in the legal system, as they say this could happen to anyone.

https://abc13.com/andrew-williams-ca...-lot/11086476/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Family of woman killed during purse-snatching at McDonald's frustrated that suspect was out on bond

Author: David González (KHOU)

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — The family of a woman killed in a deadly purse-snatching incident last month calls the arrest of a suspect a relief.

However, Martha Medina’s family is also angry and frustrated 40-year-old Andrew Williams was out on bond.

Williams was one of three people charged with capital murder in connection to a shooting death stemming from a drug deal gone bad in Spring. Williams is now facing another capital murder charge for Martha’s death.

He’s set to appear before a judge at some point.

He’s set to appear before a judge at some point.

Medina’s family hopes he will remain behind bars for as long as possible so something like what happened to their loved one never happens again.

Her husband, Evodio said they spent nearly every day of their 42-year marriage together. He said dancing was one of their favorite things to do.

The couple promised to be together forever.

In Spanish, Evodio said, “We told ourselves, until death do us part and look who came to pull us apart.”

It’s been almost two weeks since Evodio has had to live without the love of his life.

“Well it’s such an immense pain that doesn’t heal overnight. Or in a month. I think it won’t happen in a year or many years,” Evodio said.

Martha was getting breakfast at a McDonald’s in east Harris County on September 23 when investigators said Williams stole her purse. They say Martha was killed after he ran her over as he drove away.

Martha’s daughter Liliana said, “If this person wasn’t let out on bond then maybe my mom would still be here with us.”

The Medina family can’t help but question the system that allowed Williams to go free in the first place. They demand judges do their jobs.

Lourdes Medina, Martha’s other daughter said, “What are you waiting for, things to get done different? Are you waiting for it to hit home? Have some sense. Have some empathy for everyone that’s going through this because I know it’s not only my family.”

Evodio said he’ll just pray that his other half watches over him until they can dance together again.

The family said they can’t forgive Williams for what he did. They just want justice and hope Williams is not issued a bond.

Williams remains in the Harris County Jail.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...a-291daf08666c

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Lawrence Earl Thomas

Third suspect arrested in 2021 dragging death of beloved Houston grandmother

Lawrence Earl Thomas is charged with capital murder for the deadly purse snatching and hit-and-run that claimed the life of 71-year-old Martha Medina.

Author: Michelle Homer, Ugochi Iloka

HOUSTON — The family of 71-year-old Martha Medina finally got the news they'd been waiting for Thursday, nearly a year after she was killed.

Harris County deputies arrested Lawrence Earl Thomas, the third and final suspect in the deadly purse-snatching outside an east Houston McDonalds's last September.

Thomas was scheduled to appear in court Friday morning on a capital murder charge but the judge said he didn't bother to show up.

"Is it in your understanding that he chose not to attend this hearing?" the judge asked Thomas's attorney. "Yes, judge and I'm asking for a $75,000 bond."

The judge denied his request for bond.

Andrew Williams is also charged with capital murder in Medina's death. Felton Ford is charged with engaging in organized criminal activity. HCSO Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said he was acting as the lookout during the robbery.

According to investigators, the three men followed Medina from a nearby bank to the fast-food restaurant on Uvalde and grabbed her purse in the parking lot. When they sped away, the suspects ran over Medina and dragged her to death, according to HCSO.

Williams was out on bond for a separate 2019 capital murder charge at the time, adding to the family's frustration and grief.

"We want a change. We want to hold judges accountable. We know who you are by first and last name. We are putting your name out there," Martha's daughter, Lourdes Medina, told us last year during a march for justice.

Thomas, who goes by the nickname "Dirty," also has a criminal record.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/new...8-5be13e5aa2e2

Williams is scheduled to go to trial for both murders March 28, 2023

https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/Edoc...RBcX3jkA%3d%3d

https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/Edoc...MuZspL5A%3d%3d

Man who dragged Houston grandmother to death in McDonald's parking lot convicted of capital murder

Jurors found Andrew Williams guilty in the 2021 death of killing Martha Medina, 71. Williams was out on bond for a 2019 capital murder case when he killed Medina.

Author: Michelle Homer

HOUSTON — There was a lot of emotion on both sides after jurors delivered a guilty verdict today in the capital murder trial of a Houston man who ran over and killed a 71-year-old woman during a 2021 robbery.

Andrew Williams was one of three men arrested in the death of Martha Medina. She was followed from a bank to a McDonald's where the robbers grabbed her purse and then ran over her in the parking lot.

The victim's family was furious when they learned Williams was out on bond for a 2019 capital murder case when Medina was killed.

“The callousness of this crime shocked the community because it was a premeditated and planned robbery that ended with a woman dying after being run over in broad daylight,” District Attorney Kim Ogg said. “No family should have to hear that their loved one was targeted after leaving a bank and then mercilessly killed.”

Both families emotional

Prosecutors didn't ask for the death penalty so Williams was automatically sentenced to life without parole. He asked Medina's family for forgiveness before the sentencing.

"I felt a lot of relief to know that finally, finally justice has been served," Lourdes Medina, the victim's daughter, said. "I really do feel for his family. I felt some sincerity coming from him when he apologized. I pray to God to help me, in time, forgive it continues to be hard.

She said sitting through the trial and listening to details of their mother's horrible death has been really tough for the family.

"It's been very, very hard, very emotional because we're having to relive the whole tragedy, the whole emotions come with it. It's been hard hearing all the evidence because a lot of it, it's the first time hearing it."

Williams' family wept outside the courtroom after the verdict. His attorney said he will appeal the verdict.

"A lot of the folks caught up have a good side and they have a side they struggle with. Unfortunately, his mother did not raise him that way. He saw differently and took different actions," defense attorney Arthur Washington said.

'It frustrates me and angers me'

Williams was featured in a 2021 KHOU 11 Investigates story about capital murder suspects being freed on bond. A judge freed Williams on a $150,000 bond in the 2019 case and he posted just a fraction of that.

“It frustrates me and angers me,” Lourdes Medina told us then. “This could have been prevented, had the right decisions been taken it totally could have been prevented.”

Medina's family joined others in the fight for changes to Harris County's revolving door bond system. The public outcry and media attention put pressure on the bail bond board and they voted to require defendants to post 10% of the total bond.

Lawrence Earl Thomas was also charged with capital murder in Medina's death after his arrest last August. Felton Ford was charged with engaging in organized crime in connection with the case. Prosecutors said he was the lookout during the robbery. Both men are awaiting trial.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/new...1-fad781ef8c08

Thread Information