Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Israel Gonzalez Palomino Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2018 AL Double Murder

Edited:

Six death penalty cases pending in Madison County

By Brian Lawson
    WHNT News

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Six potential death penalty cases await their day in court in Madison County.

At least half of them are to go before a judge in the next 12 months, but prosecutors say the time needed to prepare for those will push other death penalty cases down the road.

Tim Gann, chief trial attorney for the Madison County District Attorney’s office told a judge last week that the caseload means the trial for two other defendants facing a possible death sentence will have to wait.

Israel Palomino and Yoni Aguilar, aren't likely to go to trial until late 2020.

https://whnt.com/2019/10/04/six-deat...adison-county/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

TWO MEN CHARGED WITH CAPITAL MURDER INDICTED BY MADISON COUNTY GRAND JURY

Investigators said the men had ties to the Sinaloa cartel in Mexico

By Ashley Thusias
    WAAY 31 News

Two men charged with capital murder were officially indicted by a grand jury.

The Madison County Sheriff's Office said Yoni Aguilar and Israel Palomino killed Oralia Mendoza and Maria Lopez last year. Their bodies were found dumped in Madison County.

Investigators said the men had ties to the Sinaloa cartel in Mexico.

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...564069061.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Attorney for man indicted in 2018 Madison County cartel-linked beheading seeks to withdraw

Israel Palomino's counsel, Ron Smith, notified the court Tuesday he has to withdraw from the case due to a conflict of interest. Smith said he couldn't disclose the conflict.

Palomino and Yoni Aguilar are both facing a possible death sentence for the murders of Oralia Mendoza and her 13-year-old granddaughter, Mariah Lopez. A grand jury indicted them on capital murder charges in late October.

Investigators said Mendoza was linked to the Sinaloa drug cartel. A reported dispute with Palomino led to the woman and her granddaughter being taken to Moon Cemetery in MadisonCounty and killed. The investigator said Mariah was beheaded.

The judge now has to decide whether or not to take Smith's withdrawal from the case. Nick Heatherly is Smith's co-counsel, but if Smith is withdrawn from the case, a new second attorney will almost certainly be appointed for Palomino since it is a death penalty case. That could also delay the setting of a trial date.

Palomino is currently slated to go on trial in December for trafficking methamphetamines.

(source: WHNT news)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man accused of brutal double murder will stand trial in 2022

By WAFF 48 Digital Staff

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - A man who is charged with a gruesome double murder connected to the Mexican drug cartel will stand trial next year.

A judge ruled on Tuesday that Israel Palomino will go to trial on September 26, 2022. Palomino is charged with the deaths of 13-year-old Mariah Lopez and her grandmother, Oralia Mendoza.

Palomino and another man, Yoni Aguilar, are accused of beheading Lopez after she witnessed the two men kill her grandmother in June 2018.

There is no trial date set for Aguilar at this time.

https://www.waff.com/2021/10/20/man-...nd-trial-2022/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Trial date set for suspect in Owen’s Cross Roads double murder from 2018

By Javon Williams
    WAFF News

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - On Thursday Judge Donna Pate listed a trial date for Yoni Aguilar who is being charged with the killing of 13-year-old Maria Lopez and her grandmother, Oralia Mendoza in 2018.

Aguilar, along with Israel Gonzalez Palomino, is suspected of decapitating Lopez and killing Mendoza on June 4, 2018. Both are being charged with two counts of Capital Murder.

During Aguilar’s status conference, his trial date was set for May 1, 2023. He is being held at the Madison County Jail with no bond.

If convicted Aguilar could face the death penalty.

Palomino's trial date is scheduled for December 5. He is being held in the Madison County Jail on a $10,000 bond for a drug charge and no bond for the Capital Murder charge.

https://www.waff.com/2022/09/01/tria...e-murder-2018/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man pleads guilty in alleged cartel beheading in Madison

By Kait Newsum
    WHNT News

MADISON COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — A 38-year-old man charged with capital murder in an alleged drug cartel double killing has pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of murder, according to court records.

On Wednesday, October 26, Israel Palomino entered his plea in the Madison County Courthouse. He was facing two counts of capital murder until the defense offered a plea deal, allowing Palomino to plead guilty to the lesser charge of murder.

Palomino was set to go to trial on December 5 in the deaths of 49-year-old Oralia Medoza and her 13-year-old granddaughter Mariah Lopez in June 2018. He was charged in the killings alongside Yoni Aguilar.

Court documents show both men were indicted in 2019.

A farmer discovered the body of Mariah Lopez on Lemley Drive in Owens Cross Roads on June 7, 2018. Madison County Sheriff’s Office officials at the time called it a “heinous homicide.”

Palomino, 34 at the time, and Aguilar, 26 at the time, were arrested just over a week later in connection to the teen’s death.

The sheriff’s office later discovered human remains two miles from Lemley Drive near Moon Cemetery. Those remains were later identified as Mendoza.

Madison County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Stacy Rutherford testified at a preliminary hearing in July 2018 that the murders were related to Mendoza’s ties to the Sinaloa drug cartel and that Lopez was beheaded with a knife after witnessing Mendoza being stabbed, according to our news partner AL.com.

According to more testimony, Palomino became suspicious after a drug run to Georgia on June 2, 2018, when he, Aguilar, Mendoza and another woman picked up a batch of methamphetamine.

Investigators testified that Mendoza was told she and her granddaughter would be taken somewhere safe. They were instead driven to Moon Cemetery on Cave Springs Road.

Aguilar, in a statement to investigators, said Palomino and Mendoza get out of the car, arguing about the drug run to Georgia. When the argument got heated, Aguilar reported that Palomino killed Mendoza.

Realizing 13-year-old Lopez had witnessed the incident, Aguilar said Palomino forced him to kill her, telling investigators that as he held the knife, Palomino grabbed his arm, moving it back and forth in a sawing motion, according to testimony.

Prosecutors had announced plans to seek the death penalty against Palomino, but the plea agreement to the lesser charge of murder took that off the table. Murder charges in Alabama can carry a sentence between 20 years and life in prison.

Aguilar faces two counts of capital murder. His jury trial is set for May 1, 2023. If convicted, prosecutors could seek the death penalty.

Palomino was immediately sentenced to life in prison on both counts, meaning he will serve two life sentences in the Alabama Department of Corrections, running concurrently.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/man...ng-in-madison/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited/Related:

2nd man pleads guilty to 2018 Owens Cross Roads double murder

By WAFF 48 Digital Staff

OWENS CROSS ROADS, Ala. (WAFF) - Another man accused of killing two women in Owens Cross Roads in 2018 entered a guilty plea this month for the murders.

On April 6, 2023, Yoni Aguilar pleaded guilty to killing 13-year-old Mariah Lopez and her grandmother, Oralia Mendoza.

Aguilar’s charges were amended from two counts of capital murder to two counts of murder in exchange for the guilty plea.

He will serve life in prison, according to court documents.

https://www.waff.com/2023/04/21/2nd-...double-murder/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information