Thread: Robert Jose Garza and Samantha Dawn Mathis Sentenced to Life in 2020 TX Murder of 2-Year-Old Elijah Noah Lebario

Robert Jose Garza and Samantha Dawn Mathis Sentenced to Life in 2020 TX Murder of 2-Year-Old Elijah Noah Lebario

Grand jury indicts Levelland couple in death of toddler

By Amber Stegall

Updated: Feb. 27, 2020 at 10:17 AM CST

LEVELLAND, Texas (KCBD) - A Hockley County grand jury has indicted a mother and her boyfriend on charges of capital murder of a 2-year-old boy.

The 2-year-old male, Elijah Lebario, had severe bruising on most of his body and had an internal body temperature of 81 degrees when he was taken to Covenant Levelland.

During the investigation police learned, the child’s mother, 25-year-old Samantha Dawn Mathis of Levelland, and her boyfriend, 30-year-old Robert Garza Jr. both assaulted Elijah.

Due to the extensive injuries of the child, he was taken to University Medical Center in Lubbock for further treatment. When he arrived, he was taken to the operating room and was pronounced deceased.

Mathis was taken into custody by the Levelland Police Department where she was charged with capital murder and injury to a child. An arrest warrant was obtained for Robert Garza Jr for the offense of capital murder. Garza was later found at a house in the 400 block of North College Ave in Levelland where he was taken into custody without incident. He has also been charged with injury to a child and violation of bond or protective order.

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services DFPS (CPS) was also contacted to assist in the investigation by interviewing and assessing the condition of the 4-year-old brother. Levelland police was contacted after their assessment and advised he too had injuries. The brother was taken to a Lubbock hospital and has since been released to family members. He was placed with family members.

Mathis is being held on a combined bond of $550,500.

Garza Jr is being held on a combined bond of $554,000.

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/02/27/gran...death-toddler/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Mom gets life for killing toddler who died with ‘bruising all over his body’ and internal temperature of 81 degrees

By Jerry Lambe
    Law & Crime

A 29-year-old mother inTexas will spend the remainder of her days behind bars after admitting to brutally killing her 2-year-old son, beating the boy to death in a horrific fashion. Hockley County District Court Judge J. Pat Phelan on Thursday ordered Samantha Dawn Mathis to serve a sentence of life in prison after she pleaded guilty to one count of murder of a child under age 10 in the 2020 slaying of young Elijah Lebario, authorities announced.

In addition to murder, Mathis also pleaded guilty to one count of felony injury to a child. Judge Phelan sentenced her to 10 years in prison, to be served consecutively, meaning after the completion of her life sentence. She will also be required to pay a $10,000 fine.

Mathis had originally been indicted on a charge of capital murder but pleaded to a lesser charge as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

The 286th Judicial District Attorney, Angela L. Overman, applauded Thursday’s sentencing, saying it “underscores the gravity of these crimes and sends a clear message that such actions will not be tolerated.”

“The successful resolutions in these cases serve as a testament to the relentless pursuit of justice by our legal team,” Overman’s office said in a press release. “We extend our gratitude to the community for their unwavering support throughout these proceedings, and we shall continue to fulfill our duty in safeguarding the interests of our fellow citizens.”

Mathis’ boyfriend at the time, Robert Garza Jr., was also arrested and charged with capital murder in connection with Elijah’s death. He has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.

Officers with the Levelland Police Department on Feb. 4, 2020, responded to a call regarding an unresponsive toddler who had been admitted to Levelland Covenant Hospital with suspicious injuries, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported. The victim — later identified as Elijah — was unresponsive and covered in bruises from head to toe, authorities said. The medical staff also found that Elijah’s internal temperature was 81 degrees, which is more than 15 degrees below normal.

The boy was reportedly in the hospital for less than three minutes before the staff called police to report they believed his injuries were the result of physical abuse.

Due to the severity of his condition, Elijah was transported to University Medical Center in Lubbock for more specialized treatment. Unfortunately, he succumbed to his injuries and died in one of the operating rooms, per the Avalanche-Journal.

In subsequent interviews with Mathis and other family members, investigators said they learned that both Mathis and Garza — who she had been dating for about six months, would regularly physically abuse Elijah.

“He had several indications of bruising all over his body,” an investigator reportedly told Lubbock ABC affiliate KAMC. “When we arrived on scene we just didn’t quite believe her story as far as what she was telling us and how this young baby had sustained all of these injuries.”

Mathis was taken into custody shortly after Elijah’s death. Investigators located Garza at a residence in the 400 block of North College Avenue and he was arrested without incident.

The indictments for Mathis and Garza accused both of “knowingly” causing Elijah’s death by “striking him with a hand, foot, belt or unknown object, or by causing the boy to strike a floor, wall, toilet, tub sink or unknown object, or by shaking him,” the Avalanche-Journal reported.

Garza’s capital murder trial is currently scheduled to begin in February 2024.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/mom-ge...of-81-degrees/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Garza was sentenced to life plus 40 years

https://www.kcbd.com/video/2023/12/1...lijah-lebario/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information