Thread: Christian Bishop-Torrence and Sage Wright Sentenced to Life in 2021 TX Murder of 1 Year Old Child

Christian Bishop-Torrence and Sage Wright Sentenced to Life in 2021 TX Murder of 1 Year Old Child

55BBEFA1-9E8C-4F9B-9E16-E49273C7926A.jpeg
    Torrence (Left)
    Wright (Right)

Parents charged with capital murder in death of one-year-old who weighed 8 pounds

by: Dylan Jimenez

WICHITA FALLS (KFDX/KJTL) — Christian Bishop-Torrence and Sage Wright have now been charged with capital murder in connection to a malnourished one-year-old, according to records.

The parents were indicted in September on three counts of child neglect and endangerment.

According to the arrest warrants, the child appeared to be severely malnourished and had sores on her body. When questioned by police officers, Wright and Bishop-Torrence both admitted that they had noticed their child had been losing weight since January, but they had not sought medical attention.

The arrest affidavit states that on the day of her death, that the victim’s father went to check on her before leaving to get fast food and discovered her gasping for air.

Bishop-Torrence said he saw his daughter take slow shallow breaths and heard a rattle when she exhaled. This is when he rushed his daughter out to his friend’s car, who was waiting outside, and took her to the emergency room at United Regional Hospital.

According to officials at the hospital, she had dirt plastered to her skin and had small, circular blisters on her lower back and buttocks. The one-year-old weighed 8 pounds, compared to the average weight of 22-24 pounds for a one-year-old.

Police said Wright admitted that she hadn’t been able to bond with the victim as well as she had with her two other children.

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news...ghed-8-pounds/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wow, look at these fat idiots. And the poor baby weighed what most newborns do.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    When questioned by police officers, Wright and Bishop-Torrence both admitted that they had noticed their child had been losing weight since January, but they had not sought medical attention.
    From January to late October... so basically the baby's entire life.

Parents of 1-year-old girl indicted for capital murder

by: Larry Statser, Olivia Taggart

WICHITA FALLS (KFDX/KJTL) — The parents of a one-year-old girl who authorities said died from neglect and malnourishment have both been indicted for capital murder of a child.

Christian Bishop-Torrence, 24, and Sage Wright, 22, are jailed on more than $1.5 million dollar bonds. They had been indicted in September for child endangerment and injury to a child.

According to the arrest warrants, the child appeared to be severely malnourished and had sores on her body. When questioned by police officers, Wright and Bishop-Torrence both admitted that they had noticed their child had been losing weight since last January, but they had not sought medical attention.

The arrest affidavit states that on the day of her death in June, the victim’s father went to check on her before leaving to get fast food and discovered her gasping for air.

Bishop-Torrence said he saw his daughter take slow shallow breaths and heard a rattle when she exhaled. This is when he rushed his daughter out to his friend’s car, who was waiting outside, and took her to the emergency room at United Regional Hospital.

According to officials at the hospital, she had dirt plastered to her skin and had small, circular blisters on her lower back and buttocks. The one-year-old weighed 8 pounds, compared to the average weight of 22-24 pounds for a one-year-old.

Police said Wright admitted that she hadn’t been able to bond with the victim as well as she had with her two other children.

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news...apital-murder/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Doesn't look like either of them has missed a meal.

Probably drug addicts

Father pleads to murder of malnourished 1-year-old

Joshua Hoggard

WICHITA FALLS (KFDX/KJTL) — One of two parents charged with capital murder after their 1-year-old died from malnutrition and negligence is headed to prison.

Christian Miguel Bishop-Torrence, 25, of Wichita Falls, pleaded guilty to one count of felony murder and two counts of endangering a child on Wednesday, April 19, 2023, in the 78th District Court. He was sentenced to life in prison on the murder charge with 671 days of jail credit.

The sentence for the two counts of endangerment of a child was 671 days for each, with the three sentences set to run concurrently. A charge of injury to a child with intent to cause serious bodily injury was dismissed.

Bishop-Torrence was scheduled to appear on Wednesday afternoon for a status hearing in the 78th District Court of the Wichita County Courthouse, with Judge Meredith Kennedy presiding. Ultimately, he would solemnly enter his pleas Wednesday afternoon.

The charges stem from June 2021, when police said Bishop-Torrence brought his one-year-old daughter to the emergency room at United Regional just before 11:30 p.m. on June 11, reporting that she had stopped breathing and was unresponsive.

The child was pronounced dead less than a half-hour after she arrived at the emergency room.

“Extremely malnourished and neglected”

According to officials in the emergency room on the night of June 11 and the morning of June 12, 2021, the one-year-old girl “appeared extremely malnourished and neglected”. They said she weighed only eight pounds, roughly a third of what she should’ve weighed at her age.

The affidavit also said the child had dirt plastered to her skin, as well as circular blisters on her lower back and buttocks.

Bishop-Torrence would later admit that the child has been losing weight since March 2021 but said that he and the girl’s mother never sought medical attention for the child. He said he didn’t know when the last check-up was for his daughter because the child’s mother handled all of that.

According to the affidavit, Bishop-Torrence eventually admitted that he knew he “[expletive] up” and that he didn’t notice how bad the child was.

John Gillespie, Wichita County’s District Attorney, was at the emergency room the night the girl was admitted, and he said it’s one of the most shocking cases he’s ever seen.

“I got a phone call and I stood in the ER,” Gillespie said. “The sergeant with the WFPD said I needed to see this for myself, and I stood there in the ER room with the baby on the table, and I’ll never get those images out of my mind.”

Mental health concerns influenced plea deal

Gillespie said one of the concerns he had with the case of Bishop-Torrence was his history of mental health struggles. He said he feared that a defense team might have been able to convince a jury that Bishop-Torrence’s mental health issues should warrant a lesser offense.

Some of those struggles were evident during Wednesday afternoon’s hearing. At times, Bishop-Torrence seemed confused and remained silent after Judge Kennedy asked him if he’d seen a mental health professional at any point.

Gillespie said after reviewing and considering all of the “shocking” facts of this case, he didn’t feel Bishop-Torrence’s mental health was ultimately to blame for his daughter’s tragic death.

“He certainly was not criminally insane,” Gillespie said. “The defense was certainly willing to claim that there was some sort of diminished capacity in this case, so that’s the risk that I look at when making this deal.”

Ultimately, Judge Kennedy determined Bishop-Torrence was competent to stand trial. His defense attorneys revealed that he takes medication for ADHD, but Bishop-Torrence said that the medication in no way made him unable to understand the plea bargain.

Gillespie said a plea deal made the alleged mental health struggles of the girl’s father a moot point, and although Bishop-Torrence was not convicted of capital murder, meaning he will be eligible for parole in 30 years, Gillespie is happy with the deal that was able to be worked out.

“The agreement was that he plead to life to murder, which is a lesser included of capital murder, because of the severe neglect of the baby,” Gillespie said. “In exchange, he signed a waiver of appeal, so the taxpayers don’t have to pay the cost of the trial or the appeal and we don’t run the risk of a lesser included to something.”

The child’s mother, Sage Wright, 23, of Wichita Falls, told police in June 2021 after her child died that she “failed to connect with her” in the way she connected with her other children.

Wright was also scheduled to appear in court for a pre-trial hearing on Wednesday, April 19, 2023, but that hearing was reset. She faces the same charges as Bishop-Torrence and has been held in jail since June 2021 on bonds totaling $1.6 million.

Gillespie declined to comment on the child’s mother, as her charges remain pending.

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news...-year-old/amp/

Texas mom confesses to ‘intentionally or knowingly’ murdering starved 1-year-old baby girl who died weighing less than at birth

By Matt Naham
    Law & Crime

A Texas mother was sentenced to life in prison on Friday after pleading guilty to the starvation murder of her 1-year-old daughter, who died weighing less than she did at birth.

Sage Angel Rose Wright, now 24, pleaded guilty in the Wichita Falls case just two weeks after her husband Christian Miguel Bishop-Torrence, 26, was sentenced to life in prison over the death of 1-year-old Georgia Bishop-
    Torrence. Though the parents noticed their baby had been losing weight for months, they let Georgia starve to death in 2021, prosecutors with the Wichita County District Attorney’s Office said. As in the case against Bishop-
    Torrence, the life sentence means there will be no capital murder trial and, therefore, there is no longer any chance Wright will be put to death by the state.

Baby Georgia died on June 11, 2021 after she was brought to United Regional Health Care System by her father, as Law&Crime reported previously. Bishop-Torrence had planned to get go get fast food with a friend before he checked on the baby girl and realized the victim was gasping for air, breathing slow and shallow breaths, and making a rattle noise as she exhaled. He took the baby to the hospital at 11:23 p.m., but the baby was pronounced dead at the hospital approximately 20 minutes later.

In the aftermath of the baby’s death, forensic examiner Dr. Suzanne Dakil of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center determined that it was “highly unlikely” that a “genetic or metabolic problem” caused the baby’s weight loss. The victim, who had sores visible on her body, starved to death, investigators found.

The starvation murder sparked even more outrage after jail records noted that both parents were obese — with Bishop-Torrence weighing in at 375 pounds and Wright at 381 pounds. Georgia, on the other hand, weighed just 8 pounds and 8 ounces when she died — which was less than what she weighed at birth. In addition, Wright was accused of telling investigators that she did not bond with baby Georgia like she did with her two other kids.

Wichita County court records reviewed by Law&Crime show that Wright’s signed “judicial confession” admitted the following:

The presiding judge accepted Wright’s confession, sentenced her to life in prison, and credited her for the 687 days she’s served so far.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/texas-...-did-at-birth/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information