Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Gutierrez - Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    The DNC can't help themselves but groom a neoliberal walking corpse for each election now Obama is gone, so I think you may be right.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Senior Member Member
    What will (or what has) happened to the other defendants? Are they in prison? or death row?

Rene is serving a life sentence.

I can't find anything on Pedro.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has denied a request for additional DNA testing by a Brownsville man on death row for the 1998 stabbing death of a mobile home park manager.

Ruben Gutierrez had asked the higher court to appoint an attorney to assist him in filing a motion for DNA testing. His request was denied.

Gutierrez, 33, remains on death row at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice’s Polunsky Unit in Livingston, following his 1999 conviction for murdering 85-year-old Escolastica Harrison at Harrison Mobile Home Park on Morningside Road.

He was 21 when he committed the crime.

In part the court states "granting DNA testing in the case would ‘merely muddy the waters.’"

Authorities said Gutierrez befriended Harrison so he could rob her of some $600,000 in cash that she had hidden in her trailer home. According to police statements, Harrison didn’t like banks so she kept her money in suitcases at her home.

An autopsy revealed Harrison had been stabbed 13 times with two different screwdrivers and was also beaten. During his 1999 trial, authorities said Gutierrez masterminded her killing.

Gutierrez has repeatedly disputed his involvement in the crime, stating that there was no evidence that he directly caused Harrison’s death. In his appeal, he also said no evidence was presented that indicated he was in her house at the time she was killed.

He also alleges he was denied his 14th Amendment right to equal protection. Gutierrez said Brownsville police coerced multiple statements from him and that the statements were involuntary. He says the trial court denied his motion to suppress his statements.

Gutierrez’s capital murder trial was tried before 107th state District Judge Benjamin Euresti Jr. A jury found him guilty and sentenced him to death.

It is not known whether a date has been set for his execution.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/new...ow-denied.html
    Just out of curiosity, what was someone with $600K in cash doing living in a trailer? With that kinda money, she coulda been in a nice house. Sad.

The June 16 execution may or may not move forward, I could see it going either way. Texas, overall, is doing ok with the re-opening, but I’ve heard COVID19 is spreading rapidly in Texas prisons, amongst both guards and inmates, so much so that they’ve cancelled all visits and ordered tests for all inmates in Texas. So, they may end up delaying it.
    Last edited by Opinions; 05-24-2020 at 03:54 PM.

So far only Missouri has had a spine. The TCCA will probably continue to egregiously abuse its power and stay it.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I think Gutierrez is dead unless he pretends to be retarded like 100% of other inmates who’ve claimed it
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The days and weeks leading to June 16 will tell if his execution will go ahead as planned.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

She owned the Trailer park and it may have not of been her primary residence. The trailer she was killed in was the office for the park.

As for the money, she probably didn't want to have to pay taxes on it and never declared it.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-24-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I also read that she didn't trust banks.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

TinaC
    Hello first I apologize because this is the first time I've used a thread like this. I am the niece of Escolastica Harrison. I was wondering the same thing, what happened to the other defendants? My father has told me that one fled to mexico and the other had received life in jail but I don't find him on any inmate list. Also yes she was very distrusting in banks and she and her husband were very frugal. They had worked very hard for everything and she was heart broken when her husband uncle Robert passed from cancer. My mother found her after she did not answer the phone when she called her. We only lived a few streets away from her so it was very easy for my mother to hop in the car and check on her.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information