Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Dean Hatten - Texas Death Row

Quote Originally Posted by FFM View Post
    Morons.
    I concur!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

It's some procedural nonsense that got Hatten this stay. Regardless, this writ application should rightfully be dismissed as moot, seeing that he doesn't wish to appeal.

It will probably be another year before he's rescheduled......again. Nueces county is very sluggish when it comes to signing death warrants.
    Last edited by FFM; 10-13-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Jan
    It's a shame that they see that 17 years later, 2 days before his execution..

Look at it this way. He said some time back that he would be filing no more appeals, so basically it must be so bad on Death Row that he would rather be dead. So keeping him alive another 6 months is a worse punishment at this point!

-Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by allfourjacks View Post
    This one has me a little on edge as to whether it will actually be carried out, but I've marked my calendar for X night.
    I guess this is why i was a little on edge. Darn It.....
    "It's ok to do for others knowing they won't do anything for you"

Quote Originally Posted by DStafford View Post
    be so bad on Death Row that he would rather be dead.
    Would that not be against the constitution? And therefore a valid reason to grant the appeals of all the other cases?

Why? By saying it's "so bad on Death Row" I mean it goes against our nature to have no say or choices with our life. So if you don't want to live with those conditions, don't make the choices that will land you there. Pretty sure murder/capital punishment IS in the Constitution.

-Dawn

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Ask U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema about whether conditions can be so bad on death row as to violate the constitution (Prieto case). I understand Texas has similar policies on the row. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Death row inmate wants more time to appeal case

A death row inmate was in court today asking a judge for time to appeal his case.

Last year, Larry Hatten told a judge he wanted to end the appeal process and was ready to die for killing a 5-year-old boy in 1995.

But Friday morning, Hatten's new attorney said they want to continue with an appeal.

Hatten's attorney says that he didn't get a fair trial because he wasn't properly diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

There was no decision made Friday, another hearing was scheduled for 6 months from now.

http://www.kztv10.com/story/28283972...to-appeal-case
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Nueces County child killer on death row changes mind on appeal

By Krista M. Torralva
    The Corpus Christi Caller Times

Birthdays and holidays remind Tabatha Thompson of the night bullets riddled the bed where she lay with her 5-year-old son, Isaac Jackson.

Each court proceeding for his killer also brings back her most painful memories, her father, Lester Jackson, said.

"What hurts my daughter the most, what tears her up, is she feels like she wasn't there to protect him," he said Wednesday as tears ran down his face.

For 21 years, Thompson's family has gone to court to face Isaac's killer, Larry Hatten.

Each time, there was a hitch in Hatten's case that led to his execution being delayed.

This time, though, the family thought it might finally be coming to an end with a hearing Wednesday. It wasn't.

Hatten wrote a letter to the court asking to waive an appeal. The Feb. 1 letter said he wished to go forward with his execution.

Hatten, 41, was later transferred from a Livingston prison, where death row male inmates are housed, to the Nueces County Jail to see a judge. Then on Feb. 29, he penned another letter saying he'd changed his mind. On Wednesday, he said he did want to take up his final appeal. The process could take years.

"We're back at square one again, when we've been at square one for 20 years," Isaac's aunt Lashonn Devones said.

Hatten was convicted in 1996 of capital murder in the shooting that killed Isaac and wounded Thompson the year before.

Thompson and Isaac were sleeping in her boyfriend's apartment when Hatten broke in and shot into the bed, expecting to find Isaac Robinson. Hatten testified he wanted to shoot Robinson because he believed Robinson knew who was responsible for setting fire to his BMW and his brother's Jaguar.

In 2014, Hatten's lawyers discovered an unresolved 1997 filing claiming his trial lawyers were ineffective. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals halted his execution and sent it back to the trial court.

Hatten called his choice a "spiritual decision" to move forward with his remaining appeal. Hatten said he wants Thompson to have more time "to tell the truth before the Creator and Maker take me to the top of the heavens, should that be the plan after my time on Earth." His family and newly appointed lawyer, Benjamin Wolff, declined to comment after the hearing.

Thompson's sister said her family was baffled at the latest letter and reiterated that Hatten confessed to the shooting at trial. Their family said they feel for Hatten's family but want the court proceedings to be over. Thompson is in constant mourning, suffers sleepless nights and is overly protective of her 9-year-old son, her family said.

"We're asking for closure so this can be done, so we can move on with our lives," Devones said.

http://www.caller.com/news/local/cri...370854101.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information