Thread: Death Penalty Pursued for Marquis Devan McCloud in 2023 AL Murders of Anastasia Gilley and her Unborn Child

Death Penalty Pursued for Marquis Devan McCloud in 2023 AL Murders of Anastasia Gilley and her Unborn Child

Anastasia Gilley

Marquis Devan McCloud

Suspect charged with capital murder after missing teen believed found dead near Headland

STAFF REPORT

A man has been charged with capital murder after the body of a pregnant teen who went missing last week, was believed to have been discovered in Houston County.

According to a release from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, in the early morning hours of Wednesday, May 10, the body of Anastasia Gilley, 19, was believed to have been found in an area near Headland. An autopsy will be conducted in order to confirm the identity.

The suspect, Marquis Devan McCloud, 33, was arrested earlier in the week in connection with Gilley's disappearance and is charged with one count of capital murder during first-degree kidnapping. Officials said McCloud has been very uncooperative throughout the entire investigation.

Gilley was reported missing by family members after she was last seen at her home on Wednesday, May 3.

Information gathered through interviews and other investigative techniques led law enforcement to a variety of locations throughout Houston and Jackson counties.

This large, multi-state investigation is ongoing between the Jackson County Sheriff's Office and the Houston County Sheriff's Office. More information will be released as the investigation continues to move forward.

https://dothaneagle.com/news/suspect...55f20cbda.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

D.A. Russ Goodman wants death penalty in murder of pregnant teen

Deputies arrested Marquis McCloud, 33, of Newville, on May 10, alleging he shot the 19-year-old Jackson County, Florida girl, whose body deputies found in Dothan the same day.

By Ken Curtis

DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - Houston County District Attorney Russ Goodman announced Wednesday he would seek death in the Capital Murder case of Marquis McCloud, charged with killing woman and her unborn who investigators say he abducted.

Deputies arrested McCloud, 33, of Newville, on May 10, alleging he shot the 19-year-old Jackson County, Florida girl, whose body deputies found in Dothan the same day.

“Based on the facts and circumstances surrounding this case (we) will seek the death penalty if the defendant is convicted,” Goodman said in a statement to News4.

Four months pregnant, Anastasia Gilley was shot multiple times in a field near Dothan Area Botanical Gardens, according to Houston County Sheriff Donald Valenza.

He believes the victim voluntarily left Jackson County with McCloud.

However, he theorizes that she tried to escape after they traveled to Alabama, and that’s when she died.

“We realized in Houston County she was being held against her will,” Valenza said the investigation revealed.

According to Florida media reports, Anastasia Gilley moved from Tallahassee to Jackson County about 18 months ago.

McCloud, who has numerous arrests and served time in an Alabama prison, will appear in court on July 14 for a hearing to determine if Houston County District Judge Benjamin Lewis will send his case to a grand jury for possible indictment.

https://www.wtvy.com/2023/05/31/da-r...pregnant-teen/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Marquis McCloud capital murder case heads to Alabama grand jury

Anastasia Gilley, 19, vanished from Jackson County on May 3. Officers discovered her body in a dusty field in Dothan, Alabama, one week later

By WCTV Staff

DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY/WCTV) -A judge ruled Friday that evidence Marquis McCloud killed a pregnant Florida Panhandle teen is compelling enough to send his Capital Murder cases to a South Alabama grand jury.

The ruling from Houston County District Judge Benjamin Lewis had been expected, with a low threshold of proof needed to move this case from his court.

Anastasia Gilley, 19 and four months pregnant, vanished from her Jackson County home on May 3. Officers discovered her body in a dusty field near Dothan, Alabama, one week later.

Herring described the path of evidence that led deputies to her body, which had several bullet wounds, and ultimately to the suspect.

“The last call (Gilley) made was to McCloud, but he denied knowing her whereabouts when we called him,” he told Judge Lewis.

A cell phone search indicates the duo traveled together to Dothan, but Gilley had wanted him to drive her to Sneads, Florida where her male friend resides, Herring testified.

He believes that McCloud killed Gilley within a few hours of her abduction, likely because she refused to have sex with him.

McCloud conducted multiple searches on his electronic devices about how to eradicate fingerprints from guns, he said during the two-hour hearing.

Defense attorney William Barclay Wadsworth questioned Herring about if calls he made to McCloud during the investigation had been recorded—they had not---and revisited other aspects of the investigator’s testimony.

He also asked about the credibility of witnesses, some of them felons, and insisted that he be provided with all the evidence that investigators amassed.

Wadsworth also questioned if Gilley had been kidnapped or had gone with McCloud voluntary and, indicating he hopes a grand jury will indict on Felony Murder—not Capital Murder---charges.

However, Wadsworth and co-counsel Amy Cobb Smith had no other expectation of the hearing’s outcome, planning a more vigorous defense during the trial that prosecutors don’t anticipate until at least 2025.

Houston County District Attorney Russ Goodman is confident McCloud, 33, will ultimately be convicted and, if that happens, plans to seek the death penalty.

According to records, McCloud has a 15-year adult criminal record that includes other sex arrests and accusations that, as a registered sex offender, he resided too close to an Abbeville, Alabama, school.

McCloud faces two counts of Capital Murder, one based upon allegations that he kidnapped Gilley and the other because he is accused of killing two people---that includes the unborn child—during a single criminal act.

He has no bond.

https://www.wctv.tv/2023/07/21/marqu...outputType=amp

Thread Information