Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death Penalty Sought for Jose Oscar Rosales in 2022 TX Slaying of Cpl. Charles Galloway

Looks like Mexico gave him back without asking for the DP to be taken off the table.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Unless the people they are extraditing have Cartel clout I don't believe they will fuss over giving them over.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Unless the people they are extraditing have Cartel clout I don't believe they will fuss over giving them over.
    Well, as I stated before, in the case of Brenda Delgado they deliberately asked death penalty to be waived. Maybe the big difference is that Rosales is not a Mexican citizen, so Mexico does not care about his fate.

Delgado was connected to the cartel and she was a Mexican by birth.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Delgado was connected to the cartel and she was a Mexican by birth.
    Yeah, I think you're right, that's the rationale.

4 arrested in connection with Oscar Rosales' murder of Harris Co. corporal

By Carolina Sanchez
    Fox 26 Houston

HOUSTON - A Harris County Criminal District Judge has denied bond for the suspect in the death of a Harris County Precinct 5 corporal.

Oscar Rosales is charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Cpl. Charles Galloway that happened during a traffic stop on Sunday. He was brought back to Houston Wednesday after an international manhunt led to his arrest in Mexico.

Rosales, 51, appeared in court on Friday morning much quieter than he was during his probably court hearing Wednesday night.

After hearing the case, 482nd District Judge Maritza Antu agreed to deny bond for Rosales.

His next court date is scheduled for Feb. 23 at 11:30 a.m.

Two other people have been charged with Hindering Apprehension, Jose Santos Cruz-Gutierrez, 68, and Jose Romel Hernandez, 43.

They are accused of withholding information on Rosales' whereabouts and pawning jewelry to give Rosales money.

Cruz-Gutierrez is out on a $25,000 bond. Hernandez was denied bond.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/ju...2-more-charged

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

The barrage of bullets that killed a Houston-area deputy was captured by his own dash and body-worn cameras, court records show

By Rosa Flores
    CNN News

In what would be his last moments, the 12-year veteran deputy constable sat in his squad car minutes after midnight as the driver's door of the car ahead of him opened.

Cpl. Charles Galloway had just made the traffic stop and was trying to contact a dispatcher when a man got out of the white Toyota Avalon.

He turned toward Galloway and pointed at him with what looked like a rifle.

Then, he fired -- again and again -- in Galloway's direction, according to a probable cause document filed in Harris County, Texas, District Court that cites dash and body-worn camera recordings of the barrage. The recordings themselves have not been released.

As bullets penetrated the windshield, Galloway sat in his patrol vehicle's driver's seat. He was hit several times, his own body-worn camera shows, the court documents say.

Galloway, 47, died primarily from a gunshot wound to the head, the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences later determined. His death came as the number of law enforcement officers feloniously killed in the line of duty has hit its highest point ​since September 11, 2001, ​according to preliminary 2021 data from the FBI, and as gun violence has risen nationwide.

After firing the shots at Galloway sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 12:50 a.m. on January 23, the man in the video returned to the white Avalon and drove away, court documents show.

Police soon ran its license plates, which led them to the ​person they call the "common-law wife​" of 50-year-old Oscar Rosales. She, according to court records, identified Rosales as the man who got out of the white Toyota, as captured by Galloway's dash camera video, and the white Avalon as being the one that she said she owned and that he had been driving.

After an international manhunt, Rosales was arrested last week by Mexican authorities in Ciudad Acuña, just across the border from Del Rio, Texas. He had been wanted for crimes committed in 1996 in Harris County and also for murder in El Salvador, the Harris County district attorney said Thursday. Rosales is from El Salvador and is not a US citizen, court documents obtained by CNN show.

Rosales was transferred to Harris County and is being held without bail on capital murder of a police officer charges in relation to Galloway's death, court records show. His attorney, Allen Tanner, had no comment Monday, he told CNN. Rosales is next due in court February 23, court records show.

Rosales' jail visitations have been limited to his attorneys and a private investigator and have excluded reporters, according to Harris County District Court records. Rosales was deemed indigent and was appointed an attorney, court records show.

Galloway, a deputy constable of Harris County Constable Precinct 5, is survived by a daughter, his sister and "the numerous officers here in Precinct 5 who are trained by him," mentored by him "and who are going to miss him tremendously," his comrade Harris County Precinct 5 Constable Ted Heap has said.

Funeral services for Galloway are set for Tuesday morning.

https://www.wlfi.com/news/national/t...6ce62eca4.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Charges dismissed for family of Oscar Rosales, accused in Harris County constable deputy's death

Nicole Hensley, Staff writer

Prosecutors dismissed charges against the wife and brother-in-law of Oscar Rosales — accused in January 2022 of killing of a Precinct 5 deputy — because prosecutors worried if the evidence in their cases became public it could jeopardize Rosales’ trial next year, court records show.

Reina Pereira-Marquez, Rosales’ common law wife, and her brother, Henri Mauricio Pereira-Marquez, were charged with tampering with evidence. Authorities said they had cleaned a white Avalon that Rosales had been driving at the time of the west Houston traffic stop, that ended in the shooting death of Cpl. Charles Galloway. Following a days-long manhunt, officials captured Rosales in Mexico.

Following their arrest, the siblings never made bond, because a hold by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency remains active for both of them, court records show.

The prosecutor in the siblings' tampering case, Nathan Moss, asked in a recent court filing for the court to delay their trial until after 53-year-old Rosales’ capital murder trial next March. He said the Harris County District Attorney may seek the death penalty against him, which is an option in capital cases.

Moss told the judge that much of the evidence in Rosales’ case — including videos from Galloway’s dash cam and body-worn camera — had never been shared and would become public if either sibling's case proceeded to trial, Moss wrote. The evidence could possibly “taint the jury pool,” he wrote.

The dismissal has prompted a new dilemma for Pereira-Marquez. She could face deportation proceedings as her husband’s case continues, Cortes said. Prosecutors have not asked Pereira-Marquez to testify, but if they called on her or she was needed for other testimony — it would be tricky if immigration officials sent her back to El Salvador.

“If she was deported, it would be difficult to get her back and testify in (Rosales’) trial,” the defense attorney said. “I don’t think it’s in anyone’s best interest (for her to be) deported right now.”

A lawyer for Pereira-Marquez’s brother, 44, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Prosecutors believe Rosales had spent the past 25 years or so in hiding from law enforcement after he violated probation for a 1995 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge. They said at past news conferences they believe he subsequently killed a person in El Salvador.

Previous prosecutors on the case, as well as District Attorney Kim Ogg, have said that the allegations against Rosales resemble charges in case in which the death penalty was sought, but they have not yet stated if they will seek it for him. A committee of senior prosecutors in Ogg’s office is responsible for deciding whether the office will seek the death penalty against a capital murder defendant.

The district attorney's office is currently seeking death, as of April, for at least two defendants awaiting trial: Xavier Davis and Jose Gilberto Rodriguez, according to county records.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-18153837.php
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The death penalty is being sought for Rosales

https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/Edoc...6HKcCR3hzY3cQ=
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information