Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Stanley Jones in 2019 FL Slaying of Marqueita Maynard

Death Penalty Trial Set for Stanley Jones in 2019 FL Slaying of Marqueita Maynard

Marqueita Maynard

Dec. 6, 2019

A St. Pete man was wanted for stalking. Then he stabbed his ex and killed her daughter, police said.

Police arrested Stanley Jones just after the stabbing Friday on 22nd Avenue N.

By Jack Evans
    Tampa Bay Times

ST. PETERSBURG — Stanley Jones was waiting when his ex-wife and her daughter arrived at the house on 22nd Avenue N, according to the St. Petersburg Police Department.

He wasn’t supposed to be there: Police said the 52-year-old was wanted for aggravated stalking. But about noon Friday, when Willie Maynard-Jones, 60, and Marqueita Maynard, 34, got to the house at 5342 22nd Ave. N, Jones ambushed the women. He attacked them with a knife and fled on a bicycle.

Maynard died there. Maynard-Jones was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Minutes after police arrived on the scene, they arrested Jones several blocks away.

The stabbing happened in a mostly residential area near Palm Lake Christian Church, and neighbors said they were shaken by news of a brutal crime in a typically serene neighborhood.

Larry Harvey, 63, said he walked by the scene just after the stabbing when he noticed the commotion from his home down the block. He saw a person in a fluorescent green vest giving someone CPR. A bloodied woman stood by.
    As first responders arrived, he said, they joined the CPR effort. Eventually, they put a tarp over the body and put the other woman, still covered in blood, in an ambulance.

Harvey has lived in the house down the block for 27 years, he said, but he grew up just a few blocks away. The worst that ever happens in this “real quiet neighborhood,” he said, is the occasional car crash on 22nd Avenue N.

“It’s disturbing, it really is,” said Harvey, whose now-grown son could walk to nearby Northwest Elementary as a child.

“You think you know your neighborhood, you know the people around you.”

Other neighbors, who knew nothing early Friday afternoon other than that someone had been stabbed and someone else arrested, echoed that sentiment. They normally feel safe here, where a trampoline stands in one side-yard and a woman chats with neighbors from a trellised patio.

“It makes me edgy,” said Melissa Patton, whose 6- and 9-year-olds go to the elementary school. “All of a sudden, there’s a stabbing in broad daylight.”

Jones was arrested in January on a trespassing charge, then was charged with aggravated stalking in February. He was charged with violating the conditions of his probation on the stalking charge in August and he served time in jail until October, when he was released, court records show.

Jones has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, burglary, arson, violation of injunction, tampering with physical evidence and outstanding probable cause for aggravated stalking.
    The investigation is ongoing and there could be changes to the charge.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/...pete-stabbing/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Mom pleads with Pinellas judge for justice following daughter’s death

By Chip Osowski
    WFLA News

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Ruthie Maynard-Jones appeared before a Pinellas County judge this morning, pleading for justice following the death of her daughter who was stabbed and killed in 2019.

“I was there. Helpless. My only child in the world gone,” Maynard-Jones told the judge. “I don’t know why I’m standing here. She’s gone. Her innocent life was taken. I would do anything to trade places with her right now."

On Dec. 6, 2019. St. Petersburg police say Ruthie’s ex-husband, Stanley Jones, ambushed her and her adult daughter, Marqueita, stabbing them both repeatedly. Marqueita died from her injuries. Ruthie survived, but thinks about that horrifying day, on a regular basis.

“I relive it every single solitary day,” said Maynard-Jones. “Every time I take a shower, the stab wounds I am reminded. I can’t even rub my chest because of my nerves. It messed my whole arm up. “

In Sept. of 2020, we sat down with Ruthie and Marqueita’s father, Marvin Maynard to speak about their loss. Sadly, Marvin passed away on Jan. 10. His dying wish was to be near his daughter.

“He said all he wanted was to be buried next to his baby,” said Maynard-Jones. “He wanted to be near her. He’s sorry he wasn’t there. “

Stanley Jones is facing numerous charges including aggravated stalking, attempted murder, and first-degree murder. The state is seeking the death penalty. The trial is scheduled to begin in October.

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-c...tabbing-death/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information