Thread: Gustavo Matias Morales Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 CA Slaying of Officer Jorge Alvarado

Gustavo Matias Morales Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 CA Slaying of Officer Jorge Alvarado

Murder Charges Filed Against Suspect In Killing of Salinas Police Officer Jorge Alvarado

By CBS News

SALINAS (BCN) — Monterey County prosecutors on Tuesday announced murder charges against a man accused of shooting and killing a Salinas police officer during a traffic stop last week.

Officer Jorge Alvarado died after pulling over a vehicle driven by Gustavo Matias Morales around 10:45 p.m. Friday on East Market Street in Salinas. Morales allegedly exited his vehicle and fired multiple rounds at Alvarado, who was able to fire, striking the suspect in the hand, according to the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office.

Morales was set for arraignment Tuesday afternoon on charges of murder and shooting at an occupied vehicle, with a special circumstance for murder of a police officer and a firearm enhancement. The special circumstance makes the case eligible for the death penalty or a life sentence without the possibility of parole upon conviction, prosecutors said.

Flags have been flown at half staff at all municipal buildings throughout Monterey County in memory of Alvarado.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...atias-morales/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man accused of killing Salinas cop with 12 gunshots will stand trial on murder charges

By Jocelyn Ortega
    The Californian

The man accused of fatally shooting a Salina police officer during a traffic stop earlier this year will stand trial on murder charges.

Gustavo Matias Morales appeared shackled at the ankles in a striped green jumpsuit for a preliminary examination at the Monterey County Superior Courthouse on Thursday, where a judge would ultimately determine the next steps in the case.

Morales was arrested and taken into custody shortly after the Feb. 25th shooting after showing up to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to his hand.

Prosecutor Chris Knight confirmed that during the shootout, Alvarado was able to return gunfire, wounding Morales's hand, and ultimately marking the person who shot him.

A witness with the Monterey County Sheriff's Department testified that an autopsy showed Alvarado had been shot 12 times.

In closing statements, Knight said Morales had "executed" officer Alvarado to avoid going to jail.

Several witnesses including officers and detectives presented a judge with evidence including surveillance and bodycam footage revealed for the first time that showed the moments leading up to the officer's death.

One surveillance video obtained from a local automotive business the night of the shooting showed officer Alvarado's patrol vehicle with its lights on as he attempted to pull Morales over.

In the silent video, Morales was seen stepping out of his car with his arms out as he walked toward the patrol vehicle, he was allegedly firing the shots as he walked.

Morales was then seen going back into his vehicle and driving off.

Officer Alvarado's body camera footage was shown where shattered glass could be seen flying from his driver's side window as bullets rang out.

Alvarado had partially stepped out of his vehicle and collapsed shortly after.

An amplified muffler can be heard on the body cam video and is believed to be the reason why the officer was pulling Morales over.

Investigator Alicia Cox with the Monterey County District Attorney's office described a confession authorities got from Morales through a Perkins operation.

Perkins operations involve authorities going undercover to speak with a suspect in a case to obtain information.

Cox testified that Morales gave details to an informant claiming responsibility for the shooting and the gun he used to carry it out.

The gun was later discovered wrapped in tin foil in a dresser drawer in the home of Morales's father.

A defense lawyer stated during the examination that Morales was a "dropout" from the Sureńo gang, known to have a presence in Salinas, and was in the witness protection program after being shot at by gang members.

Other pieces of evidence presented were photos from the investigation that showed multiple open beer cans in Morales's car the night of the shooting.

One surveillance video showed a light inside Morales's car as he was being pulled over, which investigators said was "consistent with a cell phone."

Cox testified that Morales called and said "goodbye" to his sister on the phone when he was being pulled over and that "he didn't think he was going to make it."

Morales is expected to be back in court for arraignment on Oct. 27.

He is currently being held at Monterey County Jail at no bail. He pleaded not guilty in March.

https://www.thecalifornian.com/story...es/7836496001/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Monterey County DA will not seek death penalty against man charged with murdering Salinas Police officer

By Torstein Rehn

SALINAS, Calif. —
    Monterey County District Attorney Jeannine Pacioni announced that her office will not seek the death penalty against Gustavo Morales.

Morales was charged with the first-degree murder of Salinas Police Officer Jorge David Alvarado in February.

In a statement on Tuesday, Pacioni cited the fact that the state of California has not executed an inmate in 16 years.

The statement said that Alvarado's family was consulted before the decision to not pursue the death penalty was made.

The district attorney's office also noted that defendants facing the death penalty are entitled to more pre and post-trial rights compared to someone charged with life in prison.

Should Morales be found guilty, he would serve a life sentence without parole. His next court date is scheduled for Dec. 15.

https://www.ksbw.com/amp/article/mon...ficer/41926402
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Jury selection begins for Salinas police officer murder trial

By Felix Cortez
    KSBW

SALINAS, Calif. —
    The murder trial of a Central Coast man accused of murdering a Salinas officer in 2022 could last up to four weeks and involve testimony from more than 90 witnesses, 50 of whom are Salinas police officers.

That’s what Judge Rafael Vazquez told 150 jurors who packed two courtrooms Monday for the first day of jury selection in the Gustavo Morales murder trial. And it didn’t take long for most of them to be dismissed; 112 jurors were released from the jury pool after filling out a 1-page hardship questionnaire.

The remaining jurors then filled out a seven-page questionnaire and will return to the Salinas courthouse Wednesday morning for jury selection.

It’s unknown how long jury selection might take, but the judge indicated he would like to see deliberations begin Oct. 27. That jury will decide whether Morales is guilty of first-degree premeditated murder in the shooting death of Jorge “JD” Alvarado last year during a traffic stop near east Market and Griffin streets.

If found guilty of murder, Morales could be looking at life in prison without the possibility of parole.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksb...trial/45417564

Accused murderer Gustavo Morales was ‘explosive’ and violent when drinking, witnesses testify.

Rey Mashayekhi

Two women who know Gustavo Morales, the man now standing trial for the murder of Salinas Police Department officer Jorge “JD” Alvarado, testified that he would become violent when he drank alcohol—including Morales’ former partner, who said he assaulted her “many” times.

Morales’ trial continued Wednesday, Oct. 18, with testimonies from witnesses including Jane Doe, a 31-year-old Salinas woman whose identity was protected by Monterey County prosecutors. Doe—who said she and Morales lived together between 2011 and 2013 and share two children—testified that Morales would get “aggressive” when he drank, including instances when he would choke her and punch her in the face.

“There were so many [times] I don’t have a count,” Doe said on the witness stand. She recounted that the first time Morales hit her was when she told him she was pregnant with their child, and that the violence continued throughout her pregnancy and after their children were born, on occasions when Morales had been drinking.

Doe, who lived with Morales at the homes of his relatives, said she eventually "ran away" from Morales after he choked her while she was breastfeeding their 3-month-old daughter and the child almost fell from her arms. “He doesn’t think, he just acts,” she testified of his behavior under the influence. “He can’t control it.”

Doe later filed a restraining order against Morales after an incident in May 2019, when she arrived at his parents’ Salinas residence to pick up their son, who had been visiting with Morales. She testified that amid an argument over Morales’ decision to take their son for a haircut, he grabbed her by the hair and struck her in the face with a fist multiple times until she lost consciousness.

The matter of Morales’ behavior under the influence of alcohol is relevant because prosecutors claim he was drunk when he shot Alvarado a dozen times during a traffic stop near the intersection of Griffin and East Market streets in Salinas on the night of Feb. 25, 2022. Morales’ defense—as heard by the jury when he took the witness stand earlier this week—is that he feared for his life due to having previously been beaten by Salinas police officers.

The incident at the center of Morales’ claim of police brutality was also detailed on Wednesday, when Morales’ cousin and former neighbor Juanita Perez took the stand. Perez testified that Morales would repeatedly become “explosive” and threatening toward her when he drank—including threats against her life that led her to also file a restraining order against him.

“I didn’t feel safe from Gustavo,” Perez said. “When he was drinking, he was a totally different person.” She added that when Morales was sober, “he was calm, normal.”

Perez recounted that in December 2018, Morales confronted her outside of their Salinas apartment building and said “he was going to fuck me up, he was going to kill me.” She then called the police, who arrived and arrested Morales after an altercation that saw him “actively resisting” arrest, Salinas police officer Chayenne Garcia testified Wednesday.

Garcia said that after he and other officers arrived on the scene, they approached Morales in his car and smelled alcohol. He said a “scuffle” ensued after Morales defied orders and reached for his car keys, with officers pulling Morales out of his car and attempting to subdue him. The altercation saw Garcia and Morales slip to the ground, where the officer unsuccessfully tried to fire a Taser at Morales, who shoved the Taser away, Garcia testified. Garcia confirmed that he and two other officers punched Morales in the face and head around 30 times before they eventually handcuffed him and stopped using force.

Doe, Perez and Garcia were all called to the stand by prosecutors after Morales’ defense attorneys rested their case earlier Wednesday. The trial resumes Thursday morning, Oct. 19, with further witness testimonies. The Monterey County District Attorney’s Office is not seeking the death penalty for Morales, who faces life in prison without parole.

https://www.montereycountyweekly.com...fd2e4.amp.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Verdict reached in murder trial of Salinas police officer

By Josh Copitch and Felix Cortez
    KSBW

SALINAS, Calif. — A verdict has been reached in the murder trial of Salinas police officer Jorge ‘JD’ Alvarado.

Gustavo Morales, the man who shot and killed Alvarado on Feb. 25, 2022, in Salinas, was found guilty on all five charges that he faced. Morales faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Morales faced charges of first degree murder, shooting at an occupied motor vehicle, assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm, unlawful firearm possession and carrying a loaded firearm.

His sentencing will be on Nov. 21.

Morales took the stand in his own trial and told the jury he killed Alvarado. “It was him or me. That’s how I saw the situation,” Morales said.

Morales testified that he feared Alvarado would shoot and kill him if he saw the loaded 9mm Taurus handgun Morales had in his car.

“If I didn’t act in that moment, that was my last chance to save myself,” Morales said.

The defense argued that Morales acted in self-defense when he shot Alvarado.

A jury of 10 women and two men started deliberating after the prosecution and defense wrapped up their closing arguments Monday afternoon.

What Happened

According to the district attorney's office, Alvarado initiated a traffic stop on Morales. Morales pulled over, immediately got out of his vehicle, and fired multiple gunshots at Alvarado.

Alvarado was still in his car and returned fire. Morales was shot in the web of his left hand, the DA's office reported.

During the trial, the prosecution said Morales shot out of anger. Morales was drunk driving on a suspended license, was on probation and carrying a loaded gun. Morales, the prosecution said, didn't want to go back to jail.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksb...-read/45629723

Edited:

Man convicted of murdering Salinas police officer sentenced to life in prison

By Rey Mashayekhi
    Monterey County Weekly

The man convicted last month of murdering Salinas Police Department officer Jorge David “JD” Alvarado was sentenced to life in prison without parole on Tuesday, Nov. 21.

Gustavo Matias Morales, 32, received the mandatory sentence from Judge Rafael Vazquez at Monterey County Superior Court in Salinas on Tuesday afternoon.

The sentence comes after a jury convicted Morales on Oct. 24 on all five felony charges that he faced during a two-week trial last month: first-degree murder, shooting at an occupied vehicle, assault on a peace officer with a semi-automatic firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful carrying of a loaded firearm in public.

https://www.montereycountyweekly.com...c3b7bd2fc.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information