Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Jeffrey Ryan Kelly in 2021 AR Slaying of Michael Gilman and Lori Newman

Death Penalty Trial Set for Jeffrey Ryan Kelly in 2021 AR Slaying of Michael Gilman and Lori Newman

Michael Gilman

Lori Newman

Jeffrey Ryan Kelly

Huntsville man faces two counts of capital murder after death of Madison County couple

By Justin Trobaugh
    KNWA/KFTA News

MADISON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — A Huntsville man is facing two counts of capital murder after the bodies of a Madison County couple were recovered from a house east of Huntsville on December 12.

According to an affidavit, Jeffery Kelly, 47, was booked into the Carroll County jail on February 28 and is being held without bond.

The affidavit says on December 12, the Madison County Sheriff’s Office requested assistance with a homicide investigation. The sheriff’s office responded to a suspected 911 call from Kelly that said he saw two bodies at a home in Huntsville.

The bodies of Michael Gilman, 46, and Lori Newman, 49, were found at the home.

The affidavit says both bodies exhibited severe decomposition. Preliminary reports showed both victims had died from gunshot wounds, according to the affidavit.

Newman suffered three gunshot wounds, one to the head and two to the abdomen. Gilman had two gunshot wounds to the chest.

The affidavit says during the investigation, Kelly might have been involved in the homicide. Interviews with family members, along with jail calls, showed he might be a suspect.

On January 24, around 9:30 a.m., a witness was interviewed by Arkansas State Police at the Madison County Sheriff’s Office. She said that Kelly left their home around midnight on November 30.

When he returned, the witness said Kelly told her that he had harmed the victims and that they had a mess to clean up, according to the affidavit.

The witness said Kelly told her he went to the cabin where the victims were. He told her he shot both victims twice in the chest and that Newman was still alive.

He told the witness he was trying to get information from Newman, promising her help if she would tell when another man was supposed to be coming back to the area.

The witness said Kelly shot Newman in the head to put her out of her misery, according to the affidavit. She said Kelly was worried that the victims were trying to get the man back out on the property and if they were gone, the man would have no reason to come back.

According to court documents, Kelly was arraigned on his charges Tuesday, March 8. A future court date has not been set at this time.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/northwes...county-couple/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Paywall

Murder trials are postponed

A pair of murder suspects had their trials continued last week in Madison County Circuit Court.

Jeffery Ryan Kelly's trial, also scheduled for last week, was continued until July 11. Kelly is charged in connection with the deaths of Michael Gilman, 46, and Lori Newman, 49, who were found on Dec. 12, 2021, at 718 Madison 2361.

https://www.mcrecordonline.com/stori...ostponed,13060
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Paywall

Kelly trial date set for September

By Dan Marsh
    The Madison County Record

A local murder suspect has had a new trial date set for later this year, Fourth Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Matt Durrett said Tuesday.

https://www.mcrecordonline.com/stori...eptember,38049

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

The state filed a notice of intent to seek the death penalty on January 9

https://images.arcourts.gov/IMAGESim....gov/IMAGESimg
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information