Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramiro Rubi Ibarra - Texas Death Row

I hope he finally gets a date this year.

On October 22, 2019, the Fifth Circuit DENIED Ibarra's petition for en banc rehearing.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...ing%20cert.pdf

Distributed for conference June 4, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-8103.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Ibarra's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (17-70014)
    Decision Date: August 26, 2019
    Rehearing Denied: October 22, 2019

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-8103.html

Coble got his date 8 days after cert denied. So Ibarra might get a date June 16
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Guess we're probably looking at a late September/early October date if that's the case?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Coble was also a high profile case and the DA naturally had it out for him. How these counties operate is a mystery half the time. I won't be surprised if he languishes with no date.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

The fact is that when the DA wants to sign off on a death warrant, it will happen in good time. There is a lot of good in Dallas, Collin, Tarrant, Hildago and Bexar counties.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Execution date to be set for man convicted of 1987 Waco slaying

Ramiro Rubi Ibarra, who has spent 23 years on Texas death row for sexually assaulting and strangling a teenage girl in Waco in 1987, moved closer to an execution date when the U.S. Supreme Court declined to consider his latest appeal.

Judge Matt Johnson of Waco's 54th State District Court is expected to set a March 4 execution date for the 66-year-old in accordance with a motion filed recently by the McLennan County District Attorney's Office.

Ibarra's appeals have bounced around in state and federal appellate courts for decades since the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals first affirmed his direct appeal in 1999.

State and federal appellate courts have rejected Ibarra's claims that he is not mentally fit to stand execution and that, as a Mexican citizen, he was denied legal assistance from the Mexican Consulate after his arrest, an alleged violation of international agreements. He also has claimed his trial attorneys were ineffective.

Ibarra's federal appellate attorney, Russ Hunt Jr., said he will continue to pursue what limited options remain for Ibarra.

"Of course we are very disappointed that as of this point we have not been able to get him relief through the appellate process," Hunt said. "But we will continue pursuing whatever avenues we are able to.”

Ibarra was sentenced to death in the 1987 death of 16-year-old Maria De La Paz Zuniga. Zuniga was baby-sitting two nephews at her family’s home in Waco when Ibarra, a family acquaintance, attacked her. She was beaten, raped and strangled with an electrical cord, according to trial testimony.

Ibarra was arrested in 1987 on the day Zuniga's body was found. However, he was released because of an improper search warrant and was not arrested again until 1996.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2012 ruled against Ibarra's claim that his attorneys failed to properly investigate and present evidence of Ibarra’s extreme childhood poverty and physical and emotional abuse from his father. He claimed the evidence could have convinced jurors to choose a life sentence rather than death.

After his capital murder trial in Waco, Ibarra was convicted in Bell County of sexually assaulting a nephew and received a life prison sentence.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crim...1d517703e.html
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    8 months in advance? How come so far from now? Covid?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information