Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quintin Phillippe Jones - Texas Execution - May 19, 2021

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Does anyone know when the Parole Board is supposed to decide on this? I can't shake the feeling they're going to make the same mistake they made with Whitaker 3 years ago.
    Having made the Whitaker mistake they are in a position where sometime they will need to double down on it and spare a black guy, especially should there be a case down the line where a white guy actually deserves clemency. Is there a better candidate than Jones near the end of the appellate pipeline?

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they deny it for Christopher Young that same year? In that case in particular the victims son was asking for clemency for him.

If they denied it for him then why would they grant it for Jones?
    Last edited by Neil; 05-14-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Yes, they denied Christopher Young, who was one of the only ones who was truly remorseful and apologized to the victims family in his last statement
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they deny it for Christopher Young that same year? In that case in particular the victims son was asking for clemency for him.

If they denied it for him then why would they grant it for Jones?
    Young’s victim wasn’t his family member, Jones’s victim was.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Also the reason Whitaker was commuted was because he was the only family his father had left, and I guess that pulled on Abbott’s of’ heartstrings

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schmutz View Post
    Having made the Whitaker mistake they are in a position where sometime they will need to double down on it and spare a black guy, especially should there be a case down the line where a white guy actually deserves clemency. Is there a better candidate than Jones near the end of the appellate pipeline?
    Whitaker's father was not only the lone survivor, but losing his son he would have lost the only family member still alive. It was a pretty strong case for clemency. Jones' situation is different.

Another thing that could be said about this as long as there are family members that support Jones’s execution it should be denied. I wonder if the press will report any family members that support his execution going forward?

It’s the same as with Donnie Johnson back in 2019. His son supported the execution and his daughter opposed it, and Lee denied Clemency, and I think we all can agree Abbott is better than Lee

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastro Titta View Post
    Whitaker's father was not only the lone survivor, but losing his son he would have lost the only family member still alive. It was a pretty strong case for clemency. Jones' situation is different.
    No case will be identical, and I'm not saying Jones has to be the one. I'd like to no more about the other killings to which he is alleged to have ties. Still, though, we are in a time when a lot of people are keeping score by race, and not entirely without justification, and it would be a wise move to err on the side of mercy should a suitable candidate be found.

Shouldn't Parole Boards be insulated from the racial politics of criminal justice? Telling a Parole Board they need to commute a black guy solely because they commuted a white guy 3 years ago isn't a good policy or precedent to set.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information