Thread: Christian Gutierrez Sentenced in 2022 OH Murder of Charles A. Feliciano

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Christian Gutierrez Sentenced in 2022 OH Murder of Charles A. Feliciano

19-year-old from Marion faces death penalty

WCMH news

Prosecutors are pursuing the death penalty against a 19-year-old who allegedly shot and killed a Marion man in March.

Christian Gutierrez, of Marion, was re-indicted Thursday for his reported involvement in the shooting death of Charles A. Feliciano, 27, who was found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds in March at the 300 block of North Main Street in Marion, according to court records with the Marion County Court of Commons Pleas.

Feliciano died from his injuries after being flown to a Columbus hospital.

On Thursday, prosecutors tacked on an additional kidnapping charge and announced their decision to seek the death penalty against Gutierrez, court records state.

The 19-year-old also faces previous charges — 3 counts of murder, 2 counts of aggravated murder and 2 counts of felonious assault, according to court records.

After prosecutors filed their intent to pursue the death penalty with the Ohio Supreme Court, Gutierrez’s defense attorney James D. Owen requested to withdraw from the case, stating “counsel is unable to expend the time necessary to properly defend the accused in a death penalty case,” court records state.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...death-penalty/
    Last edited by Steven; 10-23-2023 at 05:02 AM.

Marion County capital murder trial scheduled to begin in May 2023

By Andrew Carter
    Marion Star

The capital murder trial of a Marion man isn't expected to begin until May 2023.

Christian Gutierrez, age 19, Marion, is accused of allegedly shooting and killing Charles A. Feliciano, age 27, Marion, during an incident that occurred on the afternoon of Wednesday, March 9 in a parking lot located in the 100 block of London Street, according to a report provided by the Marion Police Department.

Feliciano died later that night at a Columbus hospital, according to the police report. Gutierrez was arrested that same evening at a motel in Delaware County and transported back to Marion County, according to the police report.

Marion County Prosecutor Ray Grogan is seeking the death penalty in the case. The Marion County grand jury issued a superseding indictment on April 27 that includes a death penalty specification.

Gutierrez appeared Thursday in Marion County Common Pleas Court for a pre-trial hearing with his defense team. He is being represented by attorneys Kirk A. McVay, Gregory W. Meyers, and Kandra Roberts from the Office of the Ohio Public Defender.

During Thursday's hearing, Judge W.T. Edwards set the tentative date for the trial to begin on Thursday, May 18, 2023.

Another pre-trial hearing has been scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 24. It will begin at 1 p.m. on that date in common pleas court.

Gutierrez has waived his right to a speedy trial.

Following Thursday's hearing, McVay said he couldn't comment on the case at this point in time due to the fact that it is still early in the process and the defense counsel has such a tremendous amount of evidence to sort through and research.

McVay, Meyers, and Roberts were assigned the case after the attorney who initially represented Gutierrez, James D. Owen, asked the judge to be removed from the case citing that he would be "unable to expend the time necessary to properly defend the accused in a death penalty case." Judge Edwards granted that request.

Gutierrez was initially indicted by the grand jury on March 16 on one count of aggravated murder, an unspecified felony; three counts of murder, each unspecified felonies; and two counts of felonious assault, both second-degree felonies. A three-year firearm specification was included with each charge.

Due to evidence that surfaced as the investigation continued, Grogan then sought a superseding indictment with additional charges including the death penalty specification. The grand jury issued the superseding indictment when it met on April 27.

The superseding indictment handed down by the grand jury contains the following charges, according to court records: aggravated murder, unspecified felony, with a 3-year firearm specification and felony murder specification; kidnapping, a first-degree felony, with a 3-year firearm specification; aggravated murder, unspecified felony, with a 3-year firearm specification; three counts of murder, each unspecified felonies, each with a 3-year firearm specification; and two counts of felonious assault, both second-degree felonies, each with a 3-year firearm specification.

Gutierrez has pleaded not guilty to all charges in the case. He remains incarcerated at the Multi-County Correctional Center after bond was denied in the case.

Judge Edwards ruled that Gutierrez is allowed to appear in court wearing "civilian clothing" and "non-visible restraints." The judge informed Gutierrez that the ruling could be changed at any time depending on the defendant's behavior.

https://www.marionstar.com/story/new...23/9921574002/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Marion County Prosecutor requests special prosecutor to assist in capital murder case

Andrew Carter
    Marion Star

Marion County Prosecutor Ray Grogan has requested that Marion County Common Pleas Court assign a special prosecutor to assist him with a capital murder trial.

Christian Gutierrez, age 19, Marion, is accused of shooting and killing Charles A. Feliciano, age 27, Marion, during an incident that occurred on the afternoon of Wednesday, March 9 in a parking lot located in the 100 block of London Street, according to a report provided by the Marion Police Department. The case is scheduled to go to trial on May 18, 2023.

In the motion requesting the special prosecutor, Grogan is asking Marion County Common Pleas Court Judge Warren T. Edwards to approve the appointment of Attorney Mark R. Weaver to that role.

Weaver, described by Grogan as "an experienced felony prosecutor," is a former deputy attorney general for the Ohio Attorney General and a former assistant prosecutor for the Adams County Prosecutor's Office in southern Ohio. He served as a special prosecutor in the high-profile case of convicted serial killer Shawn Grate, who is now on death row at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution.

According to the motion, which was filed with Judge Edwards on Friday, Grogan states that Weaver's fee will be $225 per hour and will be "paid through funds allocated to the budget of the (Marion County) Prosecuting Attorney's Office, the MARMET Law Enforcement Trust Fund (LETF), and/or the Prosecutor's Office Furtherance of Justice Fund."

Grogan made the request for a special prosecutor because Assistant Prosecutor Jocelyn Stefancin is leaving his office to take another position. He said Stefancin will begin work next week in the new Conviction Integrity Unit at the Franklin County Prosecutor's Office.

"Given her experience prosecuting and eight years that she worked as the county public defender in Medina, she's a perfect fit for it," Grogan said.

Gutierrez was initially indicted by the grand jury on March 16 on three counts of murder, unspecified felonies; one count aggravated murder, unspecified felony; and two counts of felonious assault, second-degree felonies. Each charged carried a 3-year firearm specification.

After Grogan decided to seek the death penalty in the case, the Marion County grand jury returned a superseding indictment on April 27 that included the death penalty specification. The superseding indictment included the following charges: two counts of aggravated murder, unspecified felonies; three counts of murder, unspecified felonies; two counts of felonious assault, second-degree felonies; and one count of kidnapping, a first-degree felony.

The first count of aggravated murder carries a felony murder specification. All of the charges in the superseding indictment carry a 3-year firearm specification.

Gutierrez has pleaded not guilty to all charges in the case. He remains incarcerated at the Multi-County Correctional Center after bond was denied in the case.

Gutierrez is being represented by attorneys Kirk A. McVay, Gregory W. Meyers, and Kandra Roberts from the Office of the Ohio Public Defender.

During a pre-trial hearing conducted Wednesday in Marion County Common Pleas Court, Grogan told Judge Edwards that the prosecution has turned over more than 3,500 files - both physical and digital copies - to the defense team as part of the discovery process. The information provided to the defense includes data collected from "at least one cellphone," the autopsy report along with 29 photographs, and a body camera video provided by the Marion Police Department.

McVay told the judge that the defense has no discovery information to provide for the prosecution at this point in time. He said the defense will supply that information to the prosecution "as soon as it becomes available."

Judge Edwards said he has yet to see any motions in the docket for the case, noting that he is expecting "an onslaught of motions in this case" due to the fact that it is a capital murder case.

Meyers requested that the judge schedule another pre-trial hearing in September to allow both sides more time to file motions in the case. Judge Edwards scheduled the next pre-trial hearing for Sept. 30 at 2:30 p.m.

https://www.marionstar.com/story/new...e/65419231007/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death penalty still on the table for Marion man accused of murder

Andrew Carter, Marion Star

The "capital components" will remain intact in the case against a Marion man facing the death penalty for allegedly shooting and killing another local man in March of 2022.

Christian Gutierrez, age 19, Marion, is accused of shooting and killing Charles A. Feliciano, age 27, Marion, during an incident that occurred on the afternoon of Wednesday, March 9, 2022, in a parking lot located in the 100 block of London Street, according to a report provided by the Marion Police Department. The case is scheduled to go to trial on May 18.

In a motion filed with Marion County Common Pleas Court on Sept. 28, 2022, attorneys for Gutierrez - Kirk A. McVay, Gregory W. Meyers, and Kandra Roberts from the Office of the Ohio Public Defender - requested that Judge Warren T. Edwards to dismiss "that portion of the aggravated murder indictment ... that elevates the potential penalty from life imprisonment to death."

Gutierrez was indicted on two counts of aggravated murder, unspecified felonies; three counts of murder, unspecified felonies; two counts of felonious assault, second-degree felonies; and one count of kidnapping, a first-degree felony. The first count of aggravated murder carries a felony murder specification. All of the charges carry a 3-year firearm specification.

The defense motion argues that Ohio's death penalty violates constitutional and international law, asserting that it violates both the Ohio Constitution and the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution.

"Ohio's death penalty scheme fails to ensure that arbitrary and discriminatory imposition of the death penalty will not occur. The procedures actually promote the imposition of the death penalty and, thus, are constitutionally intolerable," the motion reads.

In his response to the defense motion, Marion County Prosecutor Ray Grogan stated that "the Supreme Court of Ohio has reviewed (the issues stated in the defense motion) on numerous occasions and has always found Ohio's capital punishment statutes to be constitutional." Grogan said the most recent case before the Ohio Supreme Court in which the state's death penalty was upheld was State v. Lawson (Oct. 7, 2021).

Judge Edwards' ruling on the motion states that the "U.S. Supreme Court and Ohio Supreme Court have repeatedly upheld the Death Penalty." He further stated that the "law provides no basis for the motion. The clearly established law requires that the motion be denied. This Court will no go 'rogue;' therefore the motion is denied."

The next pre-trial hearing in the case is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Feb. 13 in Marion County Common Pleas Court.

Gutierrez was initially indicted by the grand jury on March 16, 2022, on three counts of murder, unspecified felonies; one count of aggravated murder, unspecified felony; and two counts of felonious assault, second-degree felonies. Each charged carried a 3-year firearm specification.

After Grogan decided to seek the death penalty in the case, the Marion County grand jury returned a superseding indictment on April 27, 2022, that included the death penalty specification along with the aforementioned two counts of aggravated murder, three counts of murder, two counts of felonious assault, and one count of kidnapping plus the firearms specifications.

https://news.yahoo.com/death-penalty...102504629.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Edited:

Next hearing in Marion County capital murder case now set for March 8

By Andrew Carter
    Marion Star

The next hearing in a Marion County capital murder case is now scheduled for March 8 after a hearing that was hastily scheduled for last Thursday was continued.

A hearing was supposed to have been conducted on March 2, but a continuance was granted after attorneys for the defense and prosecution met with each other and consulted with Judge Warren T. Edwards prior to the start of the hearing. Judge Edwards convened the hearing to announce that he had granted a continuance and then adjourned the proceeding for the day.

Judge Edwards has scheduled a status conference at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, March 8. Another pretrial hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Friday, March 17.

During a hearing held on Feb. 13, the judge informed attorneys for both sides that the jury draw is scheduled for March 31. He said he expects to issue summons to between 250 and 300 local residents to form the initial jury pool. He explained that the reason for calling such a high number of people is due to the fact that jury attendance is only about 50% in Marion County.

The case is scheduled to go to trial on May 18 with jury selection expected to take about a week before opening arguments begin on May 26 in Marion County Common Pleas Court.

After Grogan decided to seek the death penalty in the case, the Marion County grand jury returned a superseding indictment on April 27, 2022, that included the death penalty specification along with the aforementioned two counts of aggravated murder, three counts of murder, two counts of felonious assault, and one count of kidnapping plus the firearms specifications.

https://www.marionstar.com/story/new...7/69960104007/

"I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man sentenced 28 years to life in prison after pleading guilting to aggravated murder in Marion

Christian Gutierrez, 20, was sentenced by a Marion judge to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 28 years.

Author: 10TV Web Staff

MARION COUNTY, OHIO, Ohio — A man was sentenced to 28 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to aggravated murder in Marion County Friday, according to the Marion County Prosecuting Attorney Raymond Grogan.

Christian Gutierrez, 20, was sentenced by a Marion judge to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 28 years for the murder of 27-year-old Charles Feliciano.

On March 9, 2022, Marion police responded to a shooting near the 340 block of North Main Street. Upon arrival, they found Feliciano, who police said was shot in a parking lot during an altercation with another person.

He was taken to Marion General Hospital and was later flown to Grant Medical Center where he died of his injuries.

Police identified Gutierrez and Faith Scheitler as suspects in the case.

Gutierrez was arrested at the Quality Inn on Columbus Pike in Delaware following the incident. He was booked into the Multi-County Jail on murder charges before receiving his sentence.

Scheitler was arrested and charged with obstruction of justice. She was also taken to the Multi-County Jail.

“One year ago last week, Christian Gutierrez gunned down Charles Feliciano in a church parking lot. It was intentional and cold-blooded. Until now, Gutierrez denied it. I was ready to ask a jury to send him to death row for his calculated act of criminal cruelty. But today, Gutierrez admitted what Marion police and my prosecution team have been saying all along –he’s guilty of aggravated murder,” Grogan said.

https://www.10tv.com/amp/article/new...4-7e0d41e77019

Thread Information