Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Melissa Elizabeth Lucio - Texas Death Row

Yes, Lisa Coleman starved her lesbian lover’s son to death.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Member
    Isn’t the Mountain View the Same as the old Ellis unit where the inmates can be let out of their cells and interact with each other?

I assume because 1: I’ve seen selfies of them and 2 there has, as far as I know, never been a violent incident there. At the old Ellis Unit there were death row inmates murdered by other death row inmates.

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Isn’t the Mountain View the Same as the old Ellis unit where the inmates can be let out of their cells and interact with each other?
    yes. i watched docuseries about another female death row inmate darlie routier who also in Mountain View. she said female inmates can join work programs and watch tv in daily room. she also said she have a garden and she can grow some plants. there are also some pictures show them posed as group and only themselves. it looks like there is a more leninency to female death row inmates.

Everyone knew that Melissa Lucio would be facing Huntsville before Linda Carty and Erica Sheppard, because of Harris County DA Kim Ogg.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Everyone knew she would be the next female in general

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar

Melissa Lucio was sentenced to death for the 2007 death of her 2-year-old daughter. (File Photo courtesy of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

February 8, 2022

Woman on Texas' death row seeks withdrawn execution date

By Danielle Haynes
    UPI

Attorneys for a woman on death row in Texas asked Tuesday to have her upcoming execution date withdrawn or modified, saying her 2-year-old daughter's death in 2007 was accidental and she was coerced into falsely confessing.

Melissa Lucio, 53, is scheduled to be executed April 27 for the 2007 death of her daughter Mariah. Police said Lucio confessed to beating her daughter to death, but her lawyers said witnesses and evidence showed the girl accidentally fell down a flight of stairs.

Defense lawyers said Mariah fell down a flight of outdoor stairs while the family was moving to a new apartment.

The girl was known to have a "mild physical disability" that made her unsteady while walking and had had fallen before. They said the child appeared uninjured after the fall, but she didn't wake up from a nap two days later.

In a filing Tuesday, her attorneys accused police of discounting "medical and scientific evidence" indicating Mariah's death was accidental. Vanessa Potkin, director of special litigation at the Innocence Project, said police pressured Lucio to confess during an interrogation within hours of the death of her daughter.

Lawyers said Lucio repeatedly told police she didn't kill her daughter, but officers yelled at and berated her. They said she was vulnerable to what they described as a coercive interrogation technique after years of abuse and trauma.

"While pregnant with twins, Melissa was subjected to a 5-hour, late-night and aggressive interrogation until, physically and emotionally exhausted, she agreed to say, 'I guess I did it.' Melissa suffered a lifetime of sexual abuse -- starting when she was only 6 years old -- and domestic violence, which made her especially vulnerable to the police's coercive interrogation tactics," Potkin said.

Lucio's lawyers also took issue with the trial judge's decision not to allow defense attorneys to present expert witnesses who could have testified about how her past trauma may have influenced her confession.

A federal appeals court later said such evidence would've been important in her initial trial, during which prosecutors didn't provide any physical evidence or witness testimony to suggest Lucio ever abused Mariah or any of her other 11 children.

Tivon Schardl, a federal defender who serves as one of Lucio's attorneys, said a "strong innocence claim" exists in the case and accused Texas of rushing to execute her.

"Texas tore this family apart through the cruelty and injustice of Melissa's wrongful conviction. Her children, mother, and siblings have been traumatized by Melissa's arrest, prosecution, and death sentence," Schardl said.

Potkin said the state should withdraw Lucio's execution date to allow the courts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and the parole board to review the case.

"There is too much doubt to execute Melissa Lucio. Too many questions remain about the results of the autopsy, the conduct of interrogators, prosecutors, and courts, and Melissa's mental impairments," Potkin said.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022...2221644354135/
    https://archive.is/0j0tY

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Melissa Lucio attorneys seek recusal of judge, district attorney

By Laura B. Martinez
    The Brownsville Herald

The attorneys representing a Harlingen mother who is on death row for killing her toddler daughter have filed a motion seeking the recusal of the Cameron County district attorney and a state District Court judge from the case.

The recusal motion, which was filed Friday morning, is asking that District Attorney Luis V. Saenz and 138th state District Judge Gabriela Gabby Garcia withdraw from prosecuting and trying the case because two key members of Lucio’s defense team now work for the Saenz and Garcia.

Peter Gilman, Lucio’s defense attorney in her 2008 capital murder trial, is now an assistant district attorney for the Cameron County DA’s office. Irma Gilman, Garcia’s court administrator, also served on Lucio’s 2008 defense team.

“Judge Garcia’s and D.A. Saenz’s roles in this case have the effect of obstructing Melissa Lucio’s access to evidence. As Ms. Lucio’s defense team at trial, Peter Gilman and Irma Gilman have a duty to cooperate with Ms. Lucio’s current counsel. But as long as D.A. Saenz is on the case, Peter Gilman’s conflict of interest prevents him from cooperating with Ms. Lucio’s current attorneys. And as long as Judge Garcia is on the case, Irma Gilman can’t cooperate with Ms. Lucio’s counsel because it would be a prohibited ex parte communication,” said Tivon Schardl, Chief of the Capital Habeas Unit of the Federal Defender for the Western District of Texas, and Melissa Lucio’s attorney, in a media release.

In a statement to The Brownsville Herald, Saenz said: “We will be filing a timely response on behalf of the State of Texas.”

The Brownsville Herald also reached out to Garcia for comment but as of Friday afternoon had not received a reply.

The motion against Garcia cites the following reasons:

>> There is a conclusive presumption that court administrator Gilman shared with her employer, Judge Garcia confidential information that Mrs. Gilman obtained through her work on Ms. Lucio’s case.

>> Judge Garcia’s disqualification nullifies the order and warrant setting Ms. Lucio’s execution date.

>> Judge Garcia’s impartiality might reasonably be questioned based on her court administrator’s direct role in Ms. Lucio’s defense.

>> Judge Garcia’s impartiality might reasonably be questioned based on the role her court administrator in current and anticipated proceedings.

In seeking Garcia’s recusal this also calls that she recall the execution warrant that she signed on Jan. 13, 2022 setting Lucio’s execution date.

The motion against Saenz cites the following reasons:

>> Peter Gilman’s dual role as an assistant district attorney and predecessor counsel for Ms. Lucio disqualifies the CCDA.

>> Irma Gilman’s dual role as a paralegal in the CCDA and former paralegal on Ms. Lucio’s trial team disqualifies the CCDA.

>> DA Saenz’s refusal to recuse himself is in conflict with his statutory duty to see that justice is done and violates Ms. Lucio’s right to due process.

The motion states that although Lucio’s attorneys have made numerous attempts to reach Saenz by telephone and email, he has not acknowledged these communications. “As of this date (Feb 18) DA Saenz has not responded to counsel’s communication regarding the issues raised here.”

A Cameron County jury in 2008 found her guilty on one count of capital murder for causing the death of Mariah Alvarez. The little girl had been beaten. Lucio denies killing her daughter.

On the night of Mariah’s death on Feb. 17, 2007, Lucio told police and EMS personnel that Mariah had fallen down some stairs, according to federal court documents.

Later that night, during a videotaped interview with investigators, Lucio explained that she had caused the bruises on Mariah’s body by spanking Mariah “real hard”… and Lucio said “nobody else would hit her.”

During an interview with a Texas Ranger Lucio later admitted she was responsible for her daughter’s death, prosecutors said. Lucio’s appeal’s attorney says she was coerced to confess.

Lucio’s execution date is scheduled for April 27.

https://myrgv.com/local-news/2022/02...sa-lucio-case/

Alright running it now what's the reason this is going to get stayed by the TCCA.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Probably over the whole fake innocence thing. It’s gonna be just like Julius Jones and since Stitt caved to the pressure, you can bet that the carnival clowns that make up the TCCA are gonna put the square box in the circle hole again

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information